Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By CaptCyan
Thanks guys!
joeghostbuster wrote:that is awesome! but is there any way to make the "pole" part clear?
This is just a proto type, so I'm looking for more suggestions like the one above.

As to the question, yes there is but the light will follow it down to theTrap. I've thought of re-making the trap larger and putting secondary LEDs inside of it.
By CaptCyan
joeghostbuster wrote:if you cant make the pole clear, I think it would definitely help if there was an LED in the base, so light is coming out of the trap.
But I can make the pole clear, it would just glow when lit.
By CPU64
You could make the side edges in clear, going up and out the trap to about half way up the ghost's body... Making a glowing cone shape.

Photoshop highlights FTW!!
One would've figured it be much easier to use actual spot lights than paint them on frame by frame.. Gotta love it! ^_^
By Gareee
Very cool! I'm doing something similar with the slimer translucent statue.. he is about the right size for the 12" figures.
By CaptCyan
CPU64 wrote:You could make the side edges in clear, going up and out the trap to about half way up the ghost's body... Making a glowing cone shape.

Photoshop highlights FTW!!
One would've figured it be much easier to use actual spot lights than paint them on frame by frame.. Gotta love it! ^_^
joeghostbuster wrote:yeah I like the cone idea, if the LED in the trap was bright enough you probably wouldnt need one at the top
The amount of light would be diluted as it went up the cone and wounldn't make the ghost really glow like it does with the LED up it's butt. It would need at least one in the Ghost and one in the Trap.

Maybe 2 in the Trap, ready to go. One be white and the other one be a color changing LED to give it the illusion of motion?

Looking at the screen cap a little more, perhaps the wires to the Ghost could be hidden in the purple spark. Ring it right around the inside of the cone and right to the ghost's hole.

Demon Vice Commander wrote:Very nice! As always, the fans are one step ahead of Mattel...
Don't know about the "step ahead" business, but we have filled in some of the gaps.

Hey Mattel! If you're reading this, I could use a new job!
By Chris M UK
CaptCyan wrote: Looking at the screen cap a little more, perhaps the wires to the Ghost could be hidden in the purple spark. Ring it right around the inside of the cone and right to the ghost's hole.
You could go the route Mattel took with the cone, the Lightning esc shapes you could use to disguise the the wires and the stand of the ghost because the shape might draw the eye's attention away from the electrics. Like when your staring through a mesh fence, your eye focuses on the object through the fence (in this case the ghost).

Just a thought.
By CaptCyan
Chris M UK wrote:
CaptCyan wrote: Looking at the screen cap a little more, perhaps the wires to the Ghost could be hidden in the purple spark. Ring it right around the inside of the cone and right to the ghost's hole.
You could go the route Mattel took with the cone, the Lightning esc shapes you could use to disguise the the wires and the stand of the ghost because the shape might draw the eye's attention away from the electrics. Like when your staring through a mesh fence, your eye focuses on the object through the fence (in this case the ghost).

Just a thought.
Quite true, and having the Ghost light up brighter than the cone would also help "draw the eye" away from the wires. I also have to see how thin a wire I can get away with using. it could possible be a set of bare wires as they would be encased in the clear resin. Any "electronic experts" have any thoughts on this?
By CaptCyan
joeghostbuster wrote:any way to eliminate the bubbles in the ghost? other than that issue, that is awesome!
Yes, I'm working up plans for a cheap vacuum chamber which should "suck out' those pesty bubbles, or at least most of them.
GhstbstrLMLIII wrote:That's really cool. Capt - you have done some of the most innovative things in the past several months with these toys than I've seen in a long time.
Thanks, but I think that's only because "nobody else" is interested in the defunct Kenner RGB toys, outside of collecting them. Yes, there are quite a few Kenner Ecto conversions (Spengler28, joeghostbuster, mikegb1984x, scouttrooper and Michael Scott to name a few) and some figure repaints and redos (nick-a-tron, Gareee and others) but everything else has been geared towards the new Matty figures (PeteVenkman_jedi, MeReel and others), which is why I used them to start this thread. And I'm just as guilty because it was the Matty Ray figure that started me out on the Firehouse and Ecto movie conversions.

While collecting parts to complete the Firehouse and Ectos, I amassed a pile of figures and stray parts. Looking at them, most are in line with the Cartoon but are off in some respect, just like the Matty figures are to the Movie. Then Vinny asked if anyone could make custom Packs for his RGB figures and that gave me a direction to go.

I've said "nobody else" but that's not really true. SlimeGuy has done an excellent job on some Cartoon PKE Meters and I've enlisted the help of spiff for an upcoming project. From what I can see, there are a lot of things that still can be done with the Kenner toys and if some of that bleeds over to the Matty line ( like these Ghost Stand Traps ), so much the better.
By CaptCyan
No new comments? Well, then more pictures. This is what spiff and I are working on.

Coming 2011

Questions or comments please, otherwise I assume there is no interest in something like this?
By Gareee
You could probably make a set of peoplebusters replacement heads and hands for the Matty figures as well! While I like the clear green, I think the completely clear might be better with a greenish yellow wash on it.

BTW, something you might want to look up, is glow powder that can be added to resin. It comes in many colors, and is VERY bright. I remember someone casting 12" scale monster heads with it a few years back in a toy forum.

No when I turn it off it still keeps firing even t[…]

Awesome! It's a complex but very fun build... Went[…]

Just to throw my experience in there. I've bough[…]

I haven't had Xbox Live for a while, but I'm consi[…]