Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Amazon has listed this book:

Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Visual History by Daniel Wallace

(http://www.amazon.com/Ghostbusters-Ulti ... ostbusters)

... with a release date of September 15th 2015.

Has anyone heard about this?
darthbuster liked this
Book depository and Amazon have the same description:

Who you gonna call? This deluxe book looks back at three decades of ghostbusting fun, exploring all aspects of the ever-popular phenomenon. Covering the production of the first two movies in great detail, and including rare behind-the-scenes pictures and in-depth commentary from cast and crew, the book will also take in the expanded Ghostbusters universe, from the cartoon The Real Ghostbusters to related comics, toys, and video games.

In addition to offering a comprehensive and revelatory overview of the franchise, the book comes packed with incredible ephemera and removable items that will thrill Ghostbusters fans everywhere.

Officially licensed by Sony Pictures Consumer Products and featuring the participation of some of the key figures behind the creation of the original movies, Ghostbusters: The Ultimate Visual History is the last word on one of the most popular franchises of all time.

Removable items include:

Psychic cards used by Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters
Pages from Tobin’s Spirit Guide, the book mentioned many times in the movies, comics, and games
Ghostbusters flyers with the “We’re Ready to Believe You” tagline
Ghostbusters Ecto-1 bumper sticker
Pages from movie scripts
Stickers
Ghostbusters business cards
IDW comic sketches
Subpoena ordering the shut down of the ghost containment unit in Ghostbusters
Louis Tully’s tax return
I'm a big fan of Daniel Wallace and own (and cherish) all his Star Wars vault edition books.
The extras are kind of hit and miss in terms of quality in the Star Wars books, but they're still incredibly neat.
This is very exciting! I hope it comes in an elaborate mechanical case like the others.
This sounds interesting! I was holding out hope for something more focused solely on the films. Something more in the vein of JW Rinzler's kick ass Making of Star Wars/Indy books. Like an expanded, even more super detailed Making Ghostbusters. This sounds more similar to the TMNT Ultimate Visual History that came out earlier this year. Really cool, but aimed more at the casual fan instead of the die hard.

Pardon my whiny fan boy rant, but my inner creative director is shaking his head. I'm not so sure about those extra pull outs. Stickers? Photoshopped business cards, Tobin's pages, and Peck's subpeona? Fake stuff not seen in the films? Why not things actually seen in the films, like trimmed down montage newspaper clippings (they were hanging in the firehouse, also would avoid the big name title rights issues),GB invoice prints from the set dressing created for both films, or concept art reproductions? Pretty much all of this stuff still exists in Sony archives or fan collections, or could easily be reproduced.

The guy behind the TMNT Visual History posted here a while ago, asking about RGB cel collectors. Possibly for this project.
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 40&t=38273
This book seems to be more like Wallace's previous Star Wars books mixed with something similar to that TMNT book.

His previous Star Wars books included all the odd extras, but it made more sense in context. Those books were written in-universe, by a Star Wars character with hand written notes from other characters throughout. Because of this you'd get neat little things like a restaurant napkin Obi-Wan sketched his lightsaber design on, or Qui-Gon's padawan braid.

Later editions started to get a little sketchy. The Bounty Hunters Guide had Boba Fett's pilot license... but it was just a corny little piece of paper with a picture of Boba Fett (with his helmet on - not likely for an ID) and the recent Imperial Handbook only had one removable item (a high-ish quality medal for a TIE pilot).

They were rarely "replica" items (the talisman in the Book of Sith is the only direct replica I can recall). They were never before seen artifacts that had some importance to the universe. I actually preferred creative, mid-quality and unique items than poor replicas of things we've seen on screen. I doubt anything they produce (except maybe a reproduction of the invoice) would meet our standards as prop makers / collectors. I'd rather have Peck's subpoena than a poor quality, scaled down reproduction of the OMNI cover, for example.
darthbuster liked this
LandoSystem wrote:This book seems to be more like Wallace's previous Star Wars books mixed with something similar to that TMNT book.

His previous Star Wars books included all the odd extras, but it made more sense in context. Those books were written in-universe, by a Star Wars character with hand written notes from other characters throughout. Because of this you'd get neat little things like a restaurant napkin Obi-Wan sketched his lightsaber design on, or Qui-Gon's padawan braid.

Later editions started to get a little sketchy. The Bounty Hunters Guide had Boba Fett's pilot license... but it was just a corny little piece of paper with a picture of Boba Fett (with his helmet on - not likely for an ID) and the recent Imperial Handbook only had one removable item (a high-ish quality medal for a TIE pilot).

They were rarely "replica" items (the talisman in the Book of Sith is the only direct replica I can recall). They were never before seen artifacts that had some importance to the universe. I actually preferred creative, mid-quality and unique items than poor replicas of things we've seen on screen. I doubt anything they produce (except maybe a reproduction of the invoice) would meet our standards as prop makers / collectors. I'd rather have Peck's subpoena than a poor quality, scaled down reproduction of the OMNI cover, for example.
I don't know, the book's content mentioned in the description doesn't seem to be in-universe at all. Mostly centered around production of the two films, cartoons, comics, etc. The pull-out extras seem to be in-universe, though. Out of the 10 extras listed, only one is really any sort of replica of something we've seen on screen. Other than the script pages, everything else is new material whipped up by a graphic designer.

The fan fic nature of the in-universe pull outs is a bit off-putting to me. I'm not really a fan of the pull out bits at all, but the TMNT book did it with class. They weren't so much cheap pull-out replicas, as they were examples of the way these things in the book actually looked back in the day--- newspaper print ads, rough paper sketches, etc.

If I had my way, I'd say nix all of it and put those production costs towards more content in the GB book. Something more along the lines of MAKING GHOSTBUSTERS or the Rinzler making-of books. I know the books with the pull out replica bits sell like mad, though, so I can't blame the crew putting it together. Again, I hate to sound like a whiny fanboy on this. I'll definitely be buying the book.

Full size magazine/newspaper mock ups replicas would be difficult without annoying folds. I'm with you, a scaled-down OMNI print wouldn't be all that great. My thoughts were one of the the newspaper clippings in Venkman's GB1 office. They're smaller, the name of the newspaper is clipped out-- so no rights issues, and it's still something cool that has been established on-screen. The paper stock and printing quality of the pull out replicas are usually TOP NOTCH. The TMNT book had some killer repro printing. Stuff that would easily match the community replica standards. Concept art prints would also be cool. Super quality printing of great scans of the original art. There is a ton of detail in the art that isn't seen in MAKING GB or old magazine articles. Maybe even a clear poly bag with the Stay Puft art screened on, like the real on-set prop. The original art is in a fan collection, probably easily obtained for a credit in the book. Plus, the content of production/set dressing replica extras would go better with the described content of the book-- production, history, and development over in-universe fiction.

This is all just a stream of consciousness ramble, though. I'll definitely be buying the book. At least the cover design didn't awkwardly rotate the logo needlessly, like most other GB products over the past few years! Embrace that VHS box red border! I love it!
d_osborn wrote: The guy behind the TMNT Visual History posted here a while ago, asking about RGB cel collectors. Possibly for this project.
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 40&t=38273
You bet! This is from insight editions. Andrew Farago was the author that made that post. I sent in images of my animation cels to the editor. They are going for the same quality book as the TMNT one. Personally I'm stoked for the book.. I loved the TMNT book. It's not supposed to be in depth filled with unheard of info. It's a visual history guide and it will look kick ass I'm sure.
I own a copy of the TMNT book and I enjoy it a lot, and this one sounds good too so I'm sure I'd enjoy it as well. Not all merchandising will go over well with all the fans, but there's nothing wrong with that at all.
Mitleid wrote:Lets be honest, there is some lame Ghostbusters merch out there..
Like the Ghostbusters 2 coloring and activity books where the guys didn't look like the actors at all.
Mitleid wrote:Exactly. Either way you look at it, its going to be a fine addition to the franchise merchandise. Lets be honest, there is some lame Ghostbusters merch out there. It will be nice to have a quality item.
I couldn't agree more. Please don't take my picky fan bitching as a lack of excitement for the book. I'm looking forward to it and will definitely be picking it up!
Forgot about that gem Matt... Lol. Yes that's a great example. With any luck this visual history guide will be jam packed with so much stuff that it can even showcase such beautiful pieces of work as you've described. I don't think I can fit any more sarcasm into that post...
Mitleid wrote:Forgot about that gem Matt... Lol. Yes that's a great example. With any luck this visual history guide will be jam packed with so much stuff that it can even showcase such beautiful pieces of work as you've described. I don't think I can fit any more sarcasm into that post...
lol!!
You're welcome!

Those books are special to me. My girlfriend got me the Jedi Path deluxe edition as an anniversary present when it first came out. Besides being a fascinating little read (it's like a lost Jedi text book), the presentation was so nice it rekindled my love of Star Wars (I had been jaded for a while). The vault and extras were so neat and interesting it sent shockwaves of nostalgia and creativity through me that I hadn't felt in years.

So then my interest in prop building came back. I built a few lightsabers as companions to the book. I got involved with the lightsaber hobbyists, which lead to building other Star Wars props. Eventually I made a Boba Fett helmet. Then decided I wanted a full custom Mandalorian costume. Joined the Mando Mercs, and with them I started working with charities and doing fund raisers. Then I joined other clubs, branched into other fandoms and interest then eventually came around to Ghostbusters.

So it's especially exciting to know that Dan Wallace is doing this book. In a roundabout way, he got me into prop building and costuming, and by extension the world of charity fundraising and volunteer public service. It's like a lifestyle for me now and I have a ton of new friends I would have never met before, and everything about the hobby makes me genuinely happy (well, except for how expensive it can be).
I'd really like to meet that guy one day.
Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]