There is nothing wrong with asking them why they passed on this. That does not denegrade anything they have released, it just supports this art direction.

That said, there have only been two total replies over there, so I'm sure they will see the interesti in this is very small, a damned shame.
The NY Daily news said that the company didn't want to commit to a ten issue comic. I sent them an email, and I think everyone who like the ide should. Imagine if you got 11,000 worldwide emails!!! Now that it's in the paper, who knows??? I haven't bought a GB comic in years, but it looked cool--reminded me of RGB. Let's hope they carry it, and then we can bug AJ for it : P
A email campaign isn't neccesary, I imagine the feedback response and numbers would do more than 1000 irate emails from 1000 irate Ghostheads, if anything does come of this.

Although I am disappointed that there isn't any current faith in producing an on-going series. I'd like for Ghostbusters to become an ongoing comic, with overarching plots.
Gareee wrote:There is nothing wrong with asking them why they passed on this. That does not denegrade anything they have released, it just supports this art direction.

That said, there have only been two total replies over there, so I'm sure they will see the interesti in this is very small, a damned shame.
Gareee wrote:Ok, I registered and posted a poll about this over at IDW. Wanna cast a vote in a poll to support this? Here's the link:

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?t=7461

you mind pointing to where you ask them anything other than join up just to post that poll that says they should do that series instead of what they're working on?

i dont think many of you ever read a comic book before. you're complaining about creative teams that idw has on it, you dont like the art? artists change all the time on a series. you dont like the writing? writers change all the time.

you argue that the best thing about 88 was their creative team, i think that was another one of their weakest links. those things change. they could have changed creative teams to something far worse than idw considering all the money they had rolling in from you yuck yucks buying all 95 variant covers.

what you should do, is be content that there's a ghostbuster comic to get your dorito and mt.dew covered hands on, and eventually they'll pick up and try their hand at an ongoing series, which 88 could never give you.

like i said. you must never have read a comic book. otherwise you would understand they start off slow. they test water. they try different creative teams. they try a sort of regular series schedule. if it hits, then they hit the big wave. if it doesnt go anywhere, you find it in bargain bins for 10 cents or a comics by the pound special and bottoms of bird cages.

you know where my legion is?

birdcage. i can go any where locally, and probably get them for less than a buck a pop. no, i will not hunt them down for you.

on top of all this mess, i dont think aj's original intention was to say "idw sucks cocks in hell!" i think it was a "hey, look what i found. check it out."
Tell us the truth now, ProtonCharger, you're sleeping with IDW, aren't you?

I've been collecting comics off and on in various degrees of seriousness for over 25 years, I think I know a thing or two about comics. I know that creative teams change all the time, but what you are failing to recognize is that fans sometimes drop or pick up a series because of the creative team at the helm. I hear what you are saying when you say we should be grateful we have a comic, I have been buying them and reading them and giving them a fair chance, and so far they've been hit and miss with their stuff. Some of it I liked some I didn't. If they continue with the comic as it is now there is a good chance I may not continue collecting it, but if the creative team changes and I like their work, then I'll continue buying. Dan's project I would buy. At the same time I see no reason to get in IDW's face about their decision.
PeteVenkman_Jedi wrote:Tell us the truth now, ProtonCharger, you're sleeping with IDW, aren't you?
i am. because im also reading their gijoe series gijoe:cobra. i hated how devils due treated the series/property. after idw grabbed it, its made gijoe awesome again. you dont kill lady jaye, or 95 percent of the team. idw said "welp, we're just forgetting all that mess." and now im reading chuckles do what he does best, which ive never seen him do before.

it looks to me that idw takes what some companies suck at and make it good. like ghostbusters, they've been testing the water with gijoe too.

im glad you're trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. but the others sure arent and it infuriates me.
The IDW comics have plots far zanier than anything I'd want out of a GB comic. Venkman being able to build a proton pack on his own out of old west supplies seems a bit out of character and convenient. Usually this sort of thing falls into suspension of disbelief, but an entire issue was predicated on Pete doing this. I mean, Pete is supposed to be the member of the time least capable to do such things- and to have him (of all the guys) build a nuclear reactor? In the old west? C'mon.

Time traveling, them getting shot & murdered only to come back from the afterlife... I dunno, I'd like some more blue collar fueled stories, a la the 88 MPH books or the two movies. The best RGB situations, even, were just the four guys going out on a job, to me.
Some time in the far distant future, folks will be fighting over these IDW titles...

My 2 cp behind spoiler to save folks from reading a wall o' text of my opinions.
This Post Contains Spoilers
Unfortunately, there is no cut and dry reason for a company to refuse things. I got rejected for Disney animation studios several times. They gave a generic response about my style not being in their vision, then having Lasseter produce Miyazaki's Studio Ghibli masterpieces only a couple years later. Things change. IDW and Sony may change their minds on it later. Give them time, and patience. Gentle feedback on why a series stunk is better than whining...they may be more in tune to listening that way.

Just my 2 cp.

--Dinky
pferreira1983 wrote:I guess they weren't trying to totally get away from the feel of the Real Ghostbusters series as Cynthia Crawford appears in their comic strip proposal.
I think they were going for a good mix of both Movie and Cartoon in this comic as DapperDan likes to mix both (as seen in his rendition of the PeopleBusters)
Hello, everyone.

First of all, let me thank every GB fan on this board for your dedicated support to this great franchise. It's great to see fans interacting so passionately, no matter what the debate may be, or what side you happen to take. Just shows there is still a lot of Ghostbusters love in this world, and I'm happy for it.

Secondly, please know that we at IDW -- starting with myself as the GB editor, and all the way through the editorial ranks and beyond -- also love the Ghostbusters. We would never have taken on the license if we didn't. We are passionate fans, too, first and foremost, and we want to do big, exciting things with the property and its beloved characters.

That said, we've been catching a bit of heat lately about Dan and James' rejected pitch, and not always fairly. The truth is this -- the pitch was rejected for many reasons that I won't go into here, other than to say none of it had to do with quality. Dan and James put together a professional, high-quality pitch, and we did take notice. Matter of fact, I've been talking recently with both gents about doing some GB stuff for IDW in the near future -- I love their work, as does the movie studio.

No, it won't be their 10-issue story -- right now, the direct market is not a viable avenue for a maxi-series of that sort. Sad but true. The direct market simply is what it is, and as much as we'd like to do a long series like the one James and Dan pitched, or even an ongoing series (and, trust me, I'd LOVE to be editing a GB ongoing), it isn't feasible at this point in time. GB sales would have to jump dramatically for us to even consider it -- and, again, it's purely a business decision and has nothing to do with James' or Dan's creative talent, nor IDW's perceived lack of love for the property. Comic books, though nobody likes to admit it, are a business, and we publishers are at the will of retailers and comics buyers -- and right now, as popular as it is with folks on this forum, Ghostbusters is not getting the kind of direct market pre-orders/orders or interest that would justify anything beyond one-shots and/or four-issue mini-series. The numbers are good, but we need them to be great.

Furthermore, I have to admit to being offended by some who, because our previous offerings haven't been to their tastes, are saying our past creators and editorial teams didn't possess true love or understanding of the franchise. One, that is blatantly false -- every creator we've worked with sought us out because they love GB and genuinely wanted to be a part of the universe. Two, everything we publish is first scrutinized and approved by the movie studio, and nothing goes to the printer until they bless it front to back, top to bottom -- and, yes, we do rewrites and redraws all the time. I'd like to think that, after all this, if the studio gives it the thumbs up, then you as fans are, indeed, getting bonafide Ghostbusters stories, duly approved by the very people who brought you Ghostbusters in the first place. Does that mean you have to like what you get? No... you don't, and we acknowledge and respect that not everyone will be happy with our output. But please never think we're just doing these things on our own without any passion for the property, or any input from the studio, because that is just not true.

All this being said, I, like all of you, want more Ghostbusters. My goal as the editor of the property at IDW is to build our numbers to the point where we can do an ongoing series -- and with your help, I might just be able to do that. How can you help? By letting your retailers know you want more Ghostbusters comics ordered and stocked in their stores, by positively supporting the books that have come before and are yet to be published (and we've got some good ones coming), and by making sure the next GB movie is a huge hit, which will carry over into comics sales, I have no doubt.

We are all on the same team, folks. Flame wars and in-fighting do nothing for the cause but weaken it. Instead, let's get fired up and get the world thinking and talking about the Ghostbusters again in nothing but good ways!

I know I want that to happen... what about you?

Thanks for taking the time to read this. I really do appreciate it.

I'll see all of you in the funny books.

Tom Waltz
Editor
IDW Publishing
DinkyInky wrote:Gentle feedback on why a series stunk is better than whining...they may be more in tune to listening that way.
No, generally they're not - both ways say "I don't think you know what you're doing." Why anyone prefer either? As you can see from Tom's post, they all put their best foot forward, and he'll back his artist/writer teams. I'd do the same thing. I have done the same thing. It's a re-occuring theme lately, but personal preference =/= quality of product.

Thanks for dropping in Tom and laying it all out - I'm sure even the haters appreciate that you made time for Dan and James. Can't wait to see if you guys finally get to work together, and really looking forward to the Summer one-shot.

And YAY, James - nice way to start your week, I'll bet.
Great to see James, Dan and IDW are going to be bashing their collective heads together in the not too distant future, I'm definitely looking forward to that.

Also good to see that there are things in development for after the summer... the gap between Tainted Love and Con-vulution was a tad concerning.
Foom Man wrote:The IDW comics have plots far zanier than anything I'd want out of a GB comic. Venkman being able to build a proton pack on his own out of old west supplies seems a bit out of character and convenient. Usually this sort of thing falls into suspension of disbelief, but an entire issue was predicated on Pete doing this. I mean, Pete is supposed to be the member of the time least capable to do such things- and to have him (of all the guys) build a nuclear reactor? In the old west? C'mon.
Yeah I thought that was a big stretch for Venkman too. Had it been Egon or possibly even Ray, sure. Likelyhood of each Ghostbuster to successfully make a nuclear reactor in the old west:
Spengler: Yes
Stantz: Okay
Venkman: No
Zeddemore: Impossible
castewar wrote:No, generally they're not - both ways say "I don't think you know what you're doing." Why anyone prefer either? As you can see from Tom's post, they all put their best foot forward, and he'll back his artist/writer teams. I'd do the same thing. I have done the same thing. It's a re-occuring theme lately, but personal preference =/= quality of product.
Feedback is what a fan loves about the product, and their opinions/likes/dislikes/comments about what they would like to see in the future. When I leave feedback about a comic, I put lots of time and effort into a response that the artists/writers and such will understand that I appreciate what they put into it for me as the buyer.
This Post Contains Spoilers
I am glad that Tom backs his teams, and overall, his product . I am also glad he took the time to talk to the fans and let them know that their words were heard. Thanks much for taking time out to respond to us.

Congratulations to Dan and James! Can't wait to see what's in store for all in the future!
WOW. Really cool to hear there is more in the works.From IDW itself and whatever they do with Dan and James.Big Thank You to Tom Waltz for posting and giving us the "real" story.Glad to hear everyone involved is into the franchise and I look forward to whatever comes in the future.
netsolo wrote:
RedVirtue wrote: Spengler: Yes
Stantz: Okay
Venkman: No
Zeddemore: Impossible
Likelihood of a portable nuclear reactor worn on your back used to capture paranormal entities and the concept of time travel in the first place?
I'm just saying Peter is much less likely to make a portable nuclear reactor in the old west then Egon. I'm well aware the films and other medias these characters apear in are scifi and fantasy to a broad degree, but I do appreciate continuity with the four ghostbusters as individuals. I think Peter's character would have a hard enough time building a proton pack in the 80's, let alone in the old west. He just isn't as studied as Spengler. That's all. I needless to say love Venkman's character but he has his limitations as a scientist. Especially when compared to Spengler and Stantz.

@ Proton Charger: Whoa! hahaha That's a odd find. :shock:

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]