Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By CaptCyan
The Stiff wrote:Image

Uhhhh.... Whoa. I'm ok now. Those look incredible.

Any idea on a price?
Thanks!

I may have been over enthusiastic in my estimation of when I would be done with the mold making. I'm still tweaking the "movie" pack mold (there's a ridge where the bottom Cyclotron piece meets the bumper thats bothering me) and haven't started the thrower molds yet. Long story short, I have to make the molds so they produce the least amount of bubbles (trapped air), 'cause while they may be workable on normal sized items, they turn into craters on miniature stuff like the packs. Besides, nobody likes bubbles.

"You're next, Bubbles."

I'll post progress,as usual, right here on the thread.

No idea on price yet as I have not finished with them and don't know how long it will take to do up a set.

I can tell you this much, a set of unpainted 'Rack Packs" for the back of an Ecto would be $5.00 plus shipping.

A painted set would be $15.00 plus shipping ( I really want you to paint your own and would put up a tutorial if someone asked).

It would be an exact recast of my origional which consists of 1 perfect pack for the front, 3 non-perfect packs (they have air bubbles but you can't tell when they are stuffed on the rack) and the rack. You would have to make your own sliding system or just mount it in the back on your Ecto.

I'm starting a small stock plie before offering them up. I prefer to sell what I have than make to order.

CaptCyan Awesome Packs I have been following your Ecto-1 and firehouse rework and when you get enough of the packs let me know I would love a set of the packs for my Ecto and at least 5 of the cartoon packs for the four guys and louis. Love the repaint on the RGB figures as well.
By CaptCyan
Small update. The "Movie" throwers were not cooperating and refused to work as a 1 piece mold (it was Bubbles, again) so on to plan C, 2 part throwers. Origional thrower is in front, I made new styrene 2 part throwers that are sitting behind it.

Since I have to make them in 2 parts, I might compound the the solution and make some side heat sinks and knobs to glue on. It wasn't my intention to make these a kit, but it might wind up like that. We will see.

Here are the 2 halves put together (not glued as I have to make the molds).

I'm keeping a tally of who wants what as you post to this thread.

BTW - they will all be cast in black resin 'cause it looks cool.
By CaptCyan
Time to stop dickin' and get to castin'. Here is the set up for the final molds. Those small rectangles in the middle are the heat sinks for the side of the throwers.

Here's Ray with a finished proto type "Movie" Pack complete with 2 sets of magnets.

I managed to squeeze in a crank knob at the top back of the pack.

You might be wondering how they compair to the Matty Pack. They resemble them quite a bit, but I think I've managed to keep some of the cartoon looks to them so they go well with the figures

As soon as the molds are done, I will start to make a stock pile of these. Vinny will be the first to receive a set so he can review them on this thread.
By CaptCyan

Here is Louis sportin' the first "Cartoon" pack casting. Sorry but I forgot to take a pic before I painted it up.

The wand sits a little too high so I'll relocate the magnet so it sits lower when I do the run of castings to sell off.

Here's a view of the cast wand and the white styrene buck used to make it.

And Ray has the first complete "Movie" pack cast. No paint this time. You can see the painted mock up in the background.

A close up of the "Movie" thrower 2 halves glued together and sanded smooth. "Belt Buckle" heat sink is optional.

I'll start casting up the sets on Monday (the weekend is full with Mom's Day inlaws and outlaws). I've kept track from my Ecto post and this one as to who wants packs. After Vinny gets his sets and posts his review, I will begin to notify you (in date order that you showed interest) by PM. That will give me enough time to cast up a few sets before I start to sell them and you will have had time to see Vin's review here and decide if you really want them.

There is also a bit more involved in making these as the hoses and magnets take some time to set up before the resin can be cast. So if it seems like it's taking a long time to make up these sets, it is.

Now the big question. How much? Here's the answer:

"Rack Packs" black resin unpainted for the back of the Ecto that consists of 5 pieces ( 4 solid packs and the rack, no sliding system). - $5.00 for the set.

"Cartoon" Packs black resin unpainted, unsanded and unglued (thrower top and bottom) magnets and hose embedded in resin. - $5.00 each. A set of 4. - $20.00 (You get the idea)

"Movie" Packs black resin unpainted, unsanded and unglued (thrower top and bottom plus "Buclkle" heat sink) magnets and hose embedded in resin. - $5.00 each. A set of 4. - $20.00 (What, you thought it would be different?)

Shipping in US will be priority small flat rate box for $ 4.95. I understand these can be used for International as well but I haven't looked up the pricing.
By CaptCyan
Two steps forward and one step back :-x I fixed the thrower height by relocating the magnet.. I also reduced the bubble trouble by purchasing a slower setting resin that had a longer pot life and allowed me to finesse the casting pours to eliminate any trapped air. This was all good stuff. What I didn't take into account is that a longer curing time would allow the resin to wick up along the "hose", resulting in very dark and stiff section comming out of the packs and throwers.

Louis has the quick casted pack and Ray has the one made from slower setting resin. I even tried sanding the outer resin off but it still shows discolor and is quite stiff. Note how high the hose loops on Ray's pack, it should be more like the other.

Fortunatly, I can go back to using the quicker setting resin so I've ordered a new batch. I'll just have to cast them one at a time instead of a set st a time.

While I'm waiting for the new resin, I started tinkering with the "Cartoon" thrower.

I added that square hand guard to the thrower barrel, now the guys won't burn their fingers off.

It also makes the thrower a little less stick like.

By CaptCyan
joeghostbuster wrote:nice work as always Capt
Thanks for the pats on the back and hanging around to see how this plays out.

I just finished casting up Vinny's request last night. The faster resin still wicks into the hoses but only about a quarter of an inch so they look and sit much better.

I started out with the idea of making the "Cartoon" packs as a 2 piece item: the magnetic peg and the pack itself. Something that would be quick and easy, no muss, no fuss. The "Movie" pack added itself to the mix and as I went along, small problems popped up that had to be remedied. In the end, both the packs turned into a four piece kit. The pack and thrower top, the thrower bottom, the heat sink and the peg for the figure. There is some sanding, gluing and painting involved on your part in finishing the packs.

Here is a picture of the mold set ups and the tools I use to make the packs.

There is another change besides the increase from 2 to 4 pieces. The peg and pack magnets are inbedded into the resin but the thrower magnets are glued in. The reason for this is because the pack and thrower magnets were too close to each other in the molds and the thrower magnet would not stay in place. Due to the location of the 2nd magnet in the thrower bottom, these have to be drilled and then glued in.

Making these up is a slow go because the fast setting black resin has a pot life (working time) of about 2 minutesand it seems to starts as soon as the 2 liquids touch. That gives me enough time to pour 2 to 4 parts depending on their size and where the bubbles usually get trapped. I mention this because I will get to everyone's request on this list up to now, but it's gonna take time on my part and patients on yours. I will pm you when I have cast up your set(s) of packs so they will be ready to go. In the event you have changed your mind, I will pm the next person and so on untill the list is depleated.

Anyone who adds a request after this post will have a very long wait and most likely an increase in price due to the extra amount of work on my part to make these packs. Sorry.

I will be adding a tutorial to this thread on how to finish the packs in a few days.

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]