Group build thread by The Palm Coast Ghostbusters.. our project for D*Con PKE Surge 2010

3 Full size RGB Packs

June 25th - Official build start date
After months of studying DiC plans (especially those included in the RGB box set), planning, scaling, and 3D modeling/ drafting.. I finally finished the templates for the RGB packs just in time for our first group build weekend. (Note-No dims/plans/templates will be given out) This build involves myself (ThePinkGhostbuster), Scott (Speedmonkey80), and
Nick (Mr. Spider)

I organized/designed the pack into various sections to make the building process easier.

Pack sections: Motherboard, bottom spacer, top spacer, cyclotron, gun box, yellow tube, booster box, and ion arm

Wood of choice: MDF, with the occasional use of 1/8" hard balsa, and 1/4" poplar where needed

Tools: Scroll saw, jigsaw, dremel, belt sander, hand sander, oscillating spindle sander, drill

Here are some teaser pics of the construction so far...

Myself doing some cutting for the spacer.

Nick fine sanding one of the boxes.

Construction shot of the spacer and cyclotron.

Nick working on his pack.

A shot of the spacers & motherboard

Pouring a rubber mold of the guns main switch.

Rubber mold finished

Pouring the first cast

A shot of the yellow tube box.

Booster tube box gluing, with a shot a few of the cosmetic pieces.

Some of the many parts that will be on the pack.

Scott modeling his new suit.

More pics to come :)

On a side note.. after DragonCon, we plan on doing casts of different parts of the pack (possible even gun kits).. but at this time we are focusing out finishing these 3.
Last edited by ThePinkGhostbuster on August 23rd, 2010, 9:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Scott looks so happy
RGB Gun:
Without having the new DiC plans that were released in the RGB box set, this would have been a pain to replicate. But being able to finally see all the views of the gun, It made it a lot easier.
Here are some early pics of the construction of the gun body. To gain access later to top and bottom boards , I left them unglued. I needed the top access so I could easily epoxy the PVC end caps in which will help hold the pipe in later.

Note, in these two pictures I am only holding the two sideboards on to help give an overall look.

Progress pics before sanding & wood filling

This worked out way better than the time I tried building a movie gun out of wood :)
wow, looking good so far :)
could we maybe get measurements of the Pack and Gun sometime?
I'd like to tackle a full size RGB Pack as well in time for Halloween [ I'm in no rush, LOL ]
My last pack got destroyed moving, so I need a new one by October
Final packs will be MDF, We do not have enough time to produce shells at the moment

On a side note, my flightsuit ( Khaki Tru-spec )has been backordered till July 23, and for anyone wondering I will be going a more classic route with RGB Peter colors ; )
Full update now.. time to show what these babies look like :)
A lot of progress has been made, and we've only been working on these for a few weeks.

Here is a shot of the booster boxes, still need to sand down the cosmetic cone for the other tube.

Construction of the spacer-side panel.

Close-up of the spacer-side panel with the holes cut out for the lights and switchs.

The gun mount boxes with their meters.

Inside view of the cyclotron.
Putting the tapered angle on the cyclotron.

Progress shot of Nick's Ion arm.

Nick sanding his ion arm.

Progress shot of Nick's pack.

Couple of progress shots of Scott and I's pack.

Progress shots of the RGB gun, with casted yellow switch.

Top view of the gun with aluminum pipe and mock grip (waiting on real grips to come in the mail)

View of foam grip and yellow tubing.

So that is pretty much where were currently at with these packs.. Doing some building each night this weekend, and this weekend will be a group build weekend where we will make a ton of progress. Stay tuned :)
Kingpin liked this
They look good. How much do they weigh? our hallow fiberglass movie packs weigh 20 pounds, and even my game pack is closer to 30, solid MDF has to be pushing around 40 to 50 ish.
we hollowed out as much as we could with this build, as far as total weight, not sure about that, we can weigh them this weekend and let you know ; )

( I can tell you that at least compared to a movie pack made from MDF, they are much, MUCH lighter )
Small update today..
Got one of the bumpers fully done, and one bumper is gluing. Still have one more to make. I used a poplar instead of MDF because the bumper needs to be able to take more of a beating since it will have the cyclotron attached to it. Also incorporated into the bumper is the trap peddle/hose hook. This will help down the line when we incorporate the trap into the pack.

Also, we got the hand grips in the mail yesterday compliments of Unger. Did some work on one of the grips to look a little more like what was in the DiC plans. (see pic below)
Will also need to fill in the gap when the grips are put on the aluminum pipe (about a 1/4 gap to seal.. not sure what I am going to use just yet).

I ended up grabbing one of the 84 wands just t[…]

Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]

If you need any clarification at all, PM me or […]