By jimmy_j_r
This is my first attempt at making a proton pack. I really have no money so this is what you would call a junk pack. So far, I have invested less than $15 on it. Here are 2 pics of it. the first one is with the flash, and the second is without it. The second one is a little blurry but you can see a little bit better of the gearbox and such. I am still far from being done.

I have yet to use bondo and wood filler on it yet. I am just wanting to see how it will half-ass turn out before I do all that. I am using Norms plans. They are very good and easy to understand. My problem though is that I can't measure and cut a straight line if my life depended on it. So A LOT of the stuff is uneven and the Synchronous Generator is a little to big and pretty much touches the gear box. The wood I am using is 1/4" plywood.

As of right now, the bumper is just a piece of cardboard. I am trying to understand Stefan's plan on building the bumper. So far, no luck there for me... haha. Like I said, I am still far from being done. So far, I am happy with the results on what I have done. It is no wheres near perfect, but when it is finished, hopefully by halloween, it will look better.

I will keep ya'll updated when I get around to fixing it up and such. If anyone has any tips and suggestions, lemme know.
By jimmy_j_r
I have never used bondo before, so it will be a learning experience for me. So far, about 5 or 6 hours over the last month. I have a short attention span and always end up doing something else. haha
By gbfreak1989
its tricky my advice is doing it in layers dont glob it on make nice smooth even coats and dont forget to buy your cream hardner go easy with that stuff or it will get hard to quickly
By jimmy_j_r
gbfreak1989 wrote: its tricky my advice is doing it in layers dont glob it on make nice smooth even coats and dont forget to buy your cream hardner go easy with that stuff or it will get hard to quickly

Thanks for the tip
By Containment Unit1
Hey my friend for a junk pack as you call it, its really nice looking. I would definately say use bondo or what I like to use is a woodfiller to get the grain of the wood out and smooth it all out and then repaint it. If you slowly work on it and then start addint what needs to be added you definately have a sweet pack. Do you have any pics of the ghost trap next to it. Would love to see that 2 :lol:
By joegianco
For a first attempt this looks awesome! You've encourged me to keep going with my first pack.
I hope my looks as good as yours. Good luck with the rest.
By jimmy_j_r
Containment Unit1 wrote: Hey my friend for a junk pack as you call it, its really nice looking. I would definately say use bondo or what I like to use is a woodfiller to get the grain of the wood out and smooth it all out and then repaint it. If you slowly work on it and then start addint what needs to be added you definately have a sweet pack. Do you have any pics of the ghost trap next to it. Would love to see that 2 :lol:

Thanks. I have a few pics of it in the ghost trap forum but they were taken before I replaced the trap doors with the ones I have right now on it. What I have on the doors right now is just yellow poster board layered on each other to make it thicker with black stripes painted on.
Here is the link to pics of my "junk" trap.
http://www.gbprops.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3402
By jimmy_j_r
joegianco wrote: For a first attempt this looks awesome! You've encourged me to keep going with my first pack.
I hope my looks as good as yours. Good luck with the rest.

Thanks. I bet yours will look way better than mine. Best of luck to you too on your build.
By DooM1977
jimmy_j_r,

Your pack looks freakin' sweet... and all that for about 15$ :shock: Keep up the good work and you'll be one well equipped Ghostbuster!
By jimmy_j_r
DooM1977 wrote: jimmy_j_r,

Your pack looks freakin' sweet... and all that for about 15$ :shock: Keep up the good work and you'll be one well equipped Ghostbuster!

Thanks, that means alot coming from you. You have a great pack for your first one. Mine falls far behind in comparison to your pack.
By DooM1977
Mine falls far behind in comparison to your pack.

This is kinda harsh for your pack... you've done a great job! As for my pack, let's just say that I've invested a hell lotta more in it than 15$. If I had given myself such a budget, let's just say that what I would've accomplished wouldn't look half as good as what you have there.

Once again, congrats!
By jimmy_j_r
DooM1977 wrote: This is kinda harsh for your pack... you've done a great job! As for my pack, let's just say that I've invested a hell lotta more in it than 15$. If I had given myself such a budget, let's just say that what I would've accomplished wouldn't look half as good as what you have there.

Once again, congrats!

Thanks, I do have one question for you, how did you make the sides for the Synchronous Generator? I really would like to fix that up because I am not happy with the way I did it with cardboard.
By DooM1977
O.k. Here's how I made my spacer. There is nothing very complicated about it. It's just a question of measuring five times and cutting once :) . I cut the top and bottom of the spacer first, then I did the 14 panels. After that, I cut two panels for the sides of the "vertical extension" of the spacer. Using a square, I glued every panels TO THE TOP of the spacer. I did it that way because I wanted the fit to be near perfect where it would be most visible.

I then glued a panel perpendicular to each of the 14 panels inside the spacer to give the piece some sturdiness. I also glued two more panels in the vertical extension for the same reason. Three panels were added along the rounded edges in a "half a hexagon" pattern to be used as support for the bondo I would use for the curved areas .

At last I glued the bottom, bondoed the hell out of the seams and over the curved areas, sanded, bondoed the major imperfections, sanded, bondoed the minor imperfections, sanded, sanded, sanded... that's pretty much it.

I'm sorry if I've given you more infos than you needed but who knows maybe it will be of some help for someone else :)
By jimmy_j_r
Wow, I kinda understand that. I might have to re read it a few times and let it soak in. Thanks alot for the info. I probably will end up redoing the sides like that.
By jimmy_j_r
Ok, I still have not gotten around to using any filler or bondo on it but I have at least added some hoses and umm, a computer ribbon cable to it. I know it is not the right kind of cable, but to me, looks good enough for it. Still needs more work...

By jimmy_j_r
Today I was working on a cheap frame made from some old aluminum tent poles that were outback in need of being thrown away. I thought they would be more useful as a homemade frame for my pack. After about 30 minutes of working on them after getting some info from JT94, I managed to put one together with some screws, wood and some of that mesh webbing stuff found on lawn chairs, a utility strap and some electrical tape. This was the first time I was able to strap my pack on and walk around. It felt pretty good up to a point. My pack is a little heavy since its mostly made with plywood...haha I still need to paint the straps and the frame.

By Spooky
Good stuff for a first pack man, especially for the cost!

Next time try using MDF wood so you don't have to worry about the wood grain.

Can't wait to see the gun
By jimmy_j_r
Spooky wrote: Good stuff for a first pack man, especially for the cost!

Next time try using MDF wood so you don't have to worry about the wood grain.

Can't wait to see the gun
Thanks. I am thinking about using MDF wood or Styrene, depends on which one i can afford or get first. The gun I am still working on it. I keep moving back and forth from things. The gun is not gonna be hallow so I can not add any lights. The handle and such are made from old candy cane Christmas decorations, and the grip in the back is made out of tin foil wrapped with electrical tape. I like how that came out for the back one but the one in the front, I want it different. The tip just a white tube that was used to weigh down a wall scroll I got from Gamestop. I actually like the way it looks white. I might end up getting a clear one though. This is what I have for now.

By jimmy_j_r
I worked a little on the gun today. This is what I have done so far.

I need to find a new hose to connect the gun to the pack. The one I have is kinda a pain and is not very fun to deal with. It is kinda a little stiff. Hopefully by tomorrow I will have the rest done, if not, definitely by this weekend.
By lucas2600b
For a first attempt, and the small price (in dollars at least) you paid this is an awesome pack man. I'm very impressed and can't wait to see the final product. Keep up the good work.
By jimmy_j_r
lucas2600b wrote: For a first attempt, and the small price (in dollars at least) you paid this is an awesome pack man. I'm very impressed and can't wait to see the final product. Keep up the good work.
Thanks. I need to print out some labels and finish up the gun.
By jimmy_j_r
Well, I am kinda double posting here to say that this pack is now in the process of being recycled into a new and improved pack.

Wow, it's been almost four years since I finished that pack. It had been sitting in the corner of my room for like 95% of the time just slowly falling apart.

Yesterday, I ended up getting an ALICE frame and straps so I could replace the homemade one I had. To attach it though, I had to take the whole thing apart so I can mount it to the motherboard, but things ended up breaking.

Since things kind of broke, I decided to just scrap the whole thing and start over again. I am in no rush for Halloween since I think I will be working on that day ; - ;

Since things didn't work out as I had planned, I ended up going to Wal-Mart and buying some foam boards and a X-acto knife to maybe try and make cleaner and straighter cuts than I had done before using plywood and a jigsaw.

I think I will be using some of the salvageable pieces from the first one to use on the new one. With any luck, this one will turn out much better than before. So with all that said, I will leave you with a picture I took using my 3DS of my current progress... lol

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]