By Vincenzo330
Soooo as some of you already know I've been casting up Proton Pack shells by the miracle man bigi71. I also want to be able to offer motherboards for all you fine people so today I undertook this little project.
First I laid out and taped together 6 pieces of 8.5 x 11 paper, then I made some markings so that I could line then up again after disassembling them.

Then I began tracing the shell out. I left about 1/8" of clearance all the way around, as you can see here.

Here's the first pass after tracing.

I lined up an MMM mobo as best as I could to make the bottom two mounting holes.

Then I used an ALICE frame to line up for the third hole.

I traced the center bar of the ALICE frame and using some reference that I had I marked the third hole.

As you can see here I squared off all of the ribs on the side and made the right hand section connecting the gun mount to the sych-gen

Water jetting or laser cutting requires a 1x1" marking for size reference

A shot of the finished template.

Next I scanned in each page and lined them up again in Photoshop.

After that it was time to go to town on vectoring this puppy.

After a few hours I had this...

Next I printed out a copy and reassembled it again. Time to see how it came out :cool:

I compared it once more to the MMM mobo, take note of the mounting holes.

I also lined up the Alice frame one last time.

It's a bit hard to see but the top mounting hole came out perfect!

Aaaand, here's how it lines up...

Great success, yes!

Time to send this baby off to the aluminum cutters!
Last edited by Vincenzo330 on February 4th, 2011, 11:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
geekyscreenname liked this
Nice Job You Did! This man needs a Crunch Bar!
How good would this sit on an Alkaline shell??? If it's better then the one i obviously already have, i want one!!!!!!!!!!
Phish4dinner wrote:How good would this sit on an Alkaline shell??? If it's better then the one i obviously already have, i want one!!!!!!!!!!
I don't think it would fit an Alkaline shell very well at all. John's shell was made to Stefan's plans which is also how Irricanian's motherboards are made, MMM is your best bet for that.

I only intend for these to be used on Bigi71 shell, it's a custom fit.
Soooo as some of you already know I've been casting up Proton Pack shells by the miracle man Bigi71.
Ooh, and when will they be up for grabs?
Vincenzo330 wrote:They already are ;)
http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 31&t=23910
Ah yah, just saw that. Sorry.
Well if its still up for grabs next month. Here is hoping! Ima order one.
Maybe if the MOBO is done by then I can order in bulk! WOO
Dozens of black printer ink cartridges gave their lives to bring you this.

Awesome though, nice to see another shell get a to-fit MB made for it, definitely eases getting everything together. Also helped me with my third hole dilemma - now to go drill one on my MMM MB.
Looks the price of Motherboards will be $45 plus shipping on their own. I can do them for $40 with a shell purchase. They will be water jet cut so they should be really nice.

Head over to http://www.gbfans.com/community/viewtop ... 31&t=23910 to get on the list. People who've ordered pack shells get first crack at them ;)
By bigi71
Looking really good Vinny. :)

I have a little bit of critique though :P;)
Can you double check the areas i marked in this picture:

It might be nitpicking but i think it would be much better if you change these tiny details.
By bigi71
Yeah, the top one is indeed slightly rounded on the sony hero pack but its more square on the semi hero one and the Ph minnesota pack. I dont know, i think i would get it cut with 90° angles and if someone wants it slightly rounded it will only take 2 mintues with a file to do that.

The one on the gun mont box is also only a little bit rounded, the amount differs from pack to pack, but again its only 2 minutes with a file to get it as you want it.....or maybe its just one minute, im not sure ;)

The spot at the bottom of the powercell can be seen in this pic taken by thegreatgalling:
Not sure right now what its like on the other packs.
By Vincenzo330
When you're right you're right ;)

It would be pretty easy for someone to just file the corners down so I'll square those spots up before sending this off to the cutters. I was also planning on revisiting the big curve behind the HGA, I don't think it hugs the shell as nicely as it could.

Standby for an update! :cool:
By Not404Error

Looks like an angry face. Good job though!

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]