Pictures are just starting to trickle in from the iHobby Expo in Chicago Illinois. At the show, AMT has unveiled a number of models to be released in 2012, among them was a re-release of the Ghostbusters 2 Ecto-1a. The model will be identical to the previous release in the early 90's, and will reuse the same molds where available.

Update: The model will be available in May 2012 at model and hobby shops throughout the country. Ghostbusters Fans is trying to obtain the ability to distribute this model kit, and we will let you know the outcome of that soon.

Source: Model Car Magazine & neo_virus.
I wish one of these companies would come out with a 1:18 scale diecast Ecto-1A already... I still have my old amt model I built as a kid unpainted and crazy glued together. I'll probably pick up one of these though and have another go at it.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Thats great to hear but it does need some improving though ....and unfortunatly I just paid for two unopened kits off ebay..
Prologic9 wrote:I'm not sure but I believe AMT is owned by Round 2 Models now? They've re-popped a ton of AMT's old Star Trek kits, and they make a lot of improvements to them whenever possible. Thought for food.
Yes. I have a couple--and the awesome 1/1000 Refit Round2 made themselves.

I have one of the 1989 ECTO-1A's, but will probably still get one of the new ones. I think I have the patience to do it justice now. (For comparson, I just finished the Airfix repop of their Saturn 1B, and it's miles better than the build of the Monogram Saturn 5 I practically slopped together in 1984)

Round 2 also owns the Polar Lights label, it should be noted. If the ECTO-1A sells well, it's possible that the Polar Lights ECTO-1 might get a reissue. The 1A has been out of production a lot longer, which is probably why it's first, at a guess.

Heck, if I get adventurous, I'll get a second/third one, and make it the ECTO-1N:D
ecto wrote:I wish one of these companies would come out with a 1:18 scale diecast Ecto-1A already... I still have my old amt model I built as a kid unpainted and crazy glued together. I'll probably pick up one of these though and have another go at it.
Diecast 1:18 scale is due out next year from Hot Wheels.

You'll be able to pre-order it from the GBFans Shop, probably in a few months.
AJ Quick wrote:
ecto wrote:I wish one of these companies would come out with a 1:18 scale diecast Ecto-1A already... I still have my old amt model I built as a kid unpainted and crazy glued together. I'll probably pick up one of these though and have another go at it.
Diecast 1:18 scale is due out next year from Hot Wheels.

You'll be able to pre-order it from the GBFans Shop, probably in a few months.
Hey AJ, since you have the ecto 1 on pre-order, do you think we'll get the Ecto 1 and the 1A next year or is the 1A going to get pushed back another year? I just thought the Ecto 1 was supposed to be out this year, sometime between Halloween and December.

I'm thrilled about the 1A coming back out though. I've got a couple kits and wouldn't mind getting some more to re-do and Ecto 1 and try a 1B. The new box art will be cool next the original. Just wished they changed the color on the top caution striping though.
This post may contain an affiliate link that helps support GBFans.com when you make a purchase at no additional cost to you.

Brian Slauson wrote:Thats great to hear but it does need some improving though ....and unfortunatly I just paid for two unopened kits off ebay..
It actually has water silde decals unlike the Polar Lights kit what else could you want?
spiff wrote:Hey AJ, since you have the ecto 1 on pre-order, do you think we'll get the Ecto 1 and the 1A next year or is the 1A going to get pushed back another year? I just thought the Ecto 1 was supposed to be out this year, sometime between Halloween and December.
The smaller Ecto-1 is still scheduled for between now and December.

The larger Ecto-1 at the start of 2012, and the Ecto-1a towards the end of 2012.

I have not seen anything to say otherwise. From what you are saying, its like 2011 is already over, we haven't even gotten to the point where it is supposed to be released yet. Don't count it out yet.
Hotwheels anounced they will do a 1/18 scale ecto-1a after they do the 1/18 scale ecto-1... oops I missed AJ's post, he beat me to this.

Brian Slauson wrote:Thats great to hear but it does need some improving though ....and unfortunatly I just paid for two unopened kits off ebay..
I completely agree about improvment being needed. It does offer alot of room for customization.
dr.paul wrote:Looks like Ecto 1B might be next, you can see it just below 1A in the picture. Unless I'm missing something which is a real possibility...
That's the new box for the model.

Which is weird that now you mention it.. it has GB1 logos instead of GB2, and appears to not be exactly the Ecto-1a.
As far as improvments on the kit as I was refering earlier to .....was to start I don't like the way the under pinnings of the car are molded in one piece , the exhaust ,rear axel ,and leaf springs all could be individual components......second there are key pieces missing on the roof rack like the tower in front of the rear force light bar which has the yellow doppler style dome with black stripes (which was present on also etco 1 but painted red with black stripes) which is not hard to duplicate but its still a pretty big over sight considering its present in the damn pics on the outside of THE BOX IT COMES IN....not to mention every screen shot I pulled in order to complete my kits...but your right waterslides are a plus.
AJ Quick wrote:
dr.paul wrote:Looks like Ecto 1B might be next, you can see it just below 1A in the picture. Unless I'm missing something which is a real possibility...

Which is weird that now you mention it.. it has GB1 logos instead of GB2, and appears to not be exactly the Ecto-1a.

I think that may actually be a 1B! That's pretty exciting!
I willl def have to pick this one up.. I loved completing models as a young teen and after building all of my gear I would love to sit and relax and build up an ecto-1a model... loooks faboulous
aburns84 wrote:I never bought the gb2 model. I always was a fan of die cast. When they originally released this model was it one of the easy kits where you snap and no paint or is this the kind you glue and paint?
It was glue and paint . I remember as a kid even cutting the decals and crazy gluing them on because at the time I didn't know they were water silde decals lol. Here's the one I still have .

AJ Quick wrote:

The shot of the car actually seems to be the same one from the original ecto 1A box, but with the GB1 logo, which is interesting for sure. It has a new green background though. It'd be cool if the kit had the extra bits and decals to make it a 1,1A or 1B.
AJ Quick wrote: The smaller Ecto-1 is still scheduled for between now and December.

The larger Ecto-1 at the start of 2012, and the Ecto-1a towards the end of 2012.

I have not seen anything to say otherwise. From what you are saying, its like 2011 is already over, we haven't even gotten to the point where it is supposed to be released yet. Don't count it out yet.
Glad to hear AJ thanks. I just thought they were coming out in August and September previously, maybe I was mistaken, but thought they were getting pushed back. I'll be happy to see them in stock.
aburns84 wrote:I never bought the gb2 model. I always was a fan of die cast. When they originally released this model was it one of the easy kits where you snap and no paint or is this the kind you glue and paint?
I bought the kit in 1989 and it is glue. i have several and it is definitely a glue kit.
So, let me get this straight:
there's gonna be a diecast ecto-1 model scale 1:18 AND 1:24
there's gonna be a diecast ecto-1a model scale 1:18
There's gonna be a reissue of ecto-1a from amt to build---

so everybody's happy...
except me, who wanted an ecto-1a 1:24 to go along with my back to the future II delorean.
Umpf.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong!
I was going to ask if you were going to try and sell the model kit and then i saw the update, I really hope you get the opportunity to sell these. I will definitely purchase one or two from you.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]