Well this has been a busy year, between getting my GB 1 pack parts organized and building the Ecto 1ATV, we haven't had much time to do anything. The Ecto is currently waiting for the new sound chip so we have some down time. We are planning on attending Packs in the Parks this year and naturally the wife will need a pack. She decided on a RGB pack so we got to looking around for plans. Well there aren't really any out there and the closest we could come was the DIC prints in the RGB box set which are available here: http://www.theraffon.net/~spookcentral/rgb_art.htm

We decided to base our dimensions on fitting a Alice Pack frame but we may go the way of a internal strap rig like the actual RGB packs. So far this has been a collaboration of myself, USFMichele and Silverstreak. We plan on sharing any and all dimensions for this build to make it easier for anyone in the community to build one. We will be posting dimensions and plans once the build is complete.

Here is where we are at now:

The concept sketch from the DIC box set

The additional sketches

Got to work on the main pack body

The back layer is 1/4" MDF with a 3/4" MDF body ring and the top layer is 1/2" MDF

We used dowel sections for alignment and will be making the pack body to split open for maintenance

Started in on some of the detail work and figuring out proportions

And there we are for now. Any suggestions or measurements would be appreciated. We want to keep this as open source as possible.
Last edited by nstevic01 on May 21st, 2012, 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nate ,the only thing I can say is if Michele plans on wearing it for long I would go with the alice frame, the other way is like straping an ironing board to your back ,or like a car with no shocks. . rough ride .If you set your straps and kidney belt right ,your pack disapears after about ten mins. after putting it on. . Just my 2 cents . .
We had also considered "sinking" the Alice frame into the pack body, after your input we may want to revisit those plans.
Got some more work done tonight:

Glued two 3/4" pieces of MDF together for this, used dowels for alignment

Ovaled it out and sanded a 15 degree angle on it

Placement

Finished the top pieces on the booster tube box

Started gluing the booster tube plug together, tomorrow it will be coned out

Worked out some dimensions for the Ion Arm

Whipped up a prototype

The Ion Arm will extend past the top of the pack body and I will work on the various angle and notched areas when it is assembled.

I am working on the pack dimensions and crossections while building so more to come!
i think if you made the hollow rings separate from routing out the mdf it would appear alot cleaner and may even be a little more stronger with less clean up work needing to be done from the holes on the bottom sheet.
it may take up more material, but in the long run it would have been much less work for you.
Are you talking about the Ion Arm layers or the Cyclotron? Most everything will be hollowed out in layers then placed together and sanded down. The weight savings is incredible when we started hollowing out parts.
nstevic01 wrote:Are you talking about the Ion Arm layers or the Cyclotron? Most everything will be hollowed out in layers then placed together and sanded down. The weight savings is incredible when we started hollowing out parts.
this

it could have been done in hollow ring layers instead of stacked and routed out.
The back section is in layers, it is a 1/4" flat back with a 3/4" "ring". For the top section, we needed another 1/2" so I just used that and routed out about a 1/4". In hindsight, I prob should have sandwiched two 1/2" rings between 2 1/4" flats.
Got some more work done today, it actually looks like a pack now

Tried some new dimensions on the Ion Arm, it seems to sit better now

The mad scientist helping out

New Ion Arm

Seeing how it all goes together

Should be able to get a little more done tomorrow
I've been working on my own RGB thrower, and while its not finished and thus not ready to be shared with the community, I whipped up a quick sketch showing the dimensions I used for the side panels. My main gun body is 2.5" wide and I am using 1.25" handles like the movie throwers. I hope someone can get some good use out of this drawing. I will post more plans as I create them.

My plans are not as nice or as professional in appearance as say, Stefan's, as I am working in MS Paint. They get the point across though.

This is exactly what I was looking for. It will give us a good starting point for the thrower, and hopefully with the help of the community we can get some actually plans that the community can use and improve upon.

Thanks!
Tad more progress on the pack tonight:

Milled out the cone for the booster and used a dowel and glue to secure it. I will be leaving a small part of the dowel for a place to mount the hose to

Sanded everything down

Working on placement

Ion Arm doweled and glued

More to come!
More updates!

Gauge Box getting glued

Chele sanding the Cyclotron parts

Positioning the Cyclotron

Working on lens placement

Getting closer on the pack

More to come tomorrow!
Skully wrote: you might as well mold it and and offer pulls
In the words of Smokey Robinson and the Miracles..."I second that emotion"

I'd totally buy one.

Also,

if you make a trap that fits like this you are my hero...

Also, also...

Once complete, when wearing the pack you MUST make sure your crotch area always looks like this or you are INACCURATE!!!!

Chace wrote:if you make a trap that fits like this you are my hero...

A fitting trap will most definitely be in the works once this is completed.

Skully wrote:you might as well mold it and and offer pulls

That is a possibility, though I have never made a mold, let alone done pulls in my life. But hey, I never made a proton pack out of MDF before. I am totally willing to make a mold and do some pulls if a local mold making veteran is willing to oversee the operation. I know the process can be temperamental and you can waste ALOT of money real quick if you are not careful. I know there is a Smooth-On dealer over in Orlando so I would most likely have to drive over and pick the stuff up, shipping, it's where they get you. I would like to have the mold made, and a small run of pulls completed before they get offered up for sale. There is just something about getting a tracking number within a day of paying for something.... :crunch:

More progress should be made tonight.

Oh, and if anyone has suggestions for the gauge that goes on the box it would be appreciated. I was looking around harbor Freight and eBay for surface mount pressure gauges or something and came up with nada.
Im sure that look could be achieved by wearing a adult diaper under your flight suit.
THANK YOU to Chace for telling Nathan he'd be his hero if he could make a fitting trap. Nathan just said to me, "So i guess im building you a ghost trap now". YAY!!! So excited!

He has to do it now to prove that he can. and it will be awesome and trap real ghosts!

Love you Nathan! :)
usfmichele wrote:THANK YOU to Chace for telling Nathan he'd be his hero if he could make a fitting trap. Nathan just said to me, "So i guess im building you a ghost trap now". YAY!!! So excited!
You..and he, can repay me with a free,or heavily discounted pull of the pack! :cool:

Also on the gauge front...

There is a company that is called (no crap) SLIME that makes air pressure gauges for vehicles. They aren't expensive and one could easily be modded and recessed into the pack.

and...

AND!!!!

It says SLIME!!!!

(I know this smells if sarcasm, but I would actually to that to mine....once you make my pull)

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]