Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Boomerjinks
This is a logical conclusion, albeit one that I would bet my life savings the writers most definitely never had in mind.

Over-thinking at it's finest. Thanks for the good read! :)
By castewar
boomerjinks wrote:This is a logical conclusion, albeit one that I would bet my life savings the writers most definitely never had in mind.

Over-thinking at it's finest. Thanks for the good read! :)
I have another one - I'll get to it soon.

HOWEVER! Regarding this case, I don't know - I'd be careful with your life savings. We have to keep in mind that Aykroyd, at the very least, is likely familiar with both the history and fringe science to trepanation. Without some sort of explanation, it's a strange line. And I can't think of a likelier explanation, so I think the theory holds. I'm game for other options though.
By skylite
i checked this out on wikipedia and it actually has ghostbusters listed in the references at the bottom..

totally crazy that one little line like that has so much meaning behind it. im kind of blown away by the thought!

off the subject of GB.. wikipedia also mentions that it was used in the movie Pi... ive seen the movie a number of times but it never made sense to me but now that i know about that the movie makes complete sense now! just kinda crazy to me. :walterpeck:
By Zack
I thought there had been something about it in Making Ghostbusters?

Venkman's line was inspired by a bizarre, but thwarted, experiment by John Lilly-a prominent researcher in dolphin communication-who seriously proposed drilling a hole in his head to test some higher brain function. Harold Ramis, who wrote the line piggy-backed on it during the take by responding: "That would worked if you hadn't stopped me."

Not trying to be a "know-it-all" or anything like that. Just thought people had read that. I know not everyone has the book but I believe most of the stuff in the book was in the "Tricks and Trivia" subtitles on the movie. Though this DEFINETLY elaborates on it a lot more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_C._Lilly

He even looks a bit like Egon! :D Cool find. I had never read much more about it!
By castewar
Zack wrote:Venkman's line was inspired by a bizarre, but thwarted, experiment by John Lilly-a prominent researcher in dolphin communication-who seriously proposed drilling a hole in his head to test some higher brain function. Harold Ramis, who wrote the line piggy-backed on it during the take by responding: "That would worked if you hadn't stopped me."

Not trying to be a "know-it-all" or anything like that. Just thought people had read that. I know not everyone has the book but I believe most of the stuff in the book was in the "Tricks and Trivia" subtitles on the movie. Though this DEFINETLY elaborates on it a lot more.
You're a total know-it-all, Zack, but that's alright because I have a brain like a sieve. Without guys like you around, I'd be lost - I must confess that I haven't diligently read Making Ghostbusters, so I'm not surprised it was covered. Which is totally cool, as it means I'm not totally crazy. Though it's really strange that they used it from a guy trying to talk to dolphins - it definitely means that they didn't expect Egon to be doing it for the energy burst or the high, and more for psychic powers (or as he would see it, unlocking higher brain functions.)

So, it still begs the question - what was he going to try to communicate with?

I still like the energy and clearer thinking idea though - secretly I'm sticking to that.
By Zack
Yeah totally. I even find myself looking in there and reading something I'd overlooked or forgotten. I figured you had the book as well! Agreed it sounds more like a reason he'd do that. Didn't want to come into the topic and sound like a total pencil neck. :D:walterpeck:

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]