In light of the fact we have documented so many proton packs over these many years, I have compiled all my research of one particular part that I think will help quite a few builders here.
It seems there is a little bit of confusion about this feature because we have only really relied on 2 packs as solid reference for all this time. The fact of the matter is, there is no rhyme or reason to what clippard valve goes where.

In consideration for all those purists that are replicating a particular pack or for those that are worried about where their valves go, i present this list of all proton packs that have surfaced up to date.

Sony Hero Lobby
R-701 on pack
R-331 on gun

Minnesota/Archive "Venkman" GB1 Pack
R-331 on pack
R-701 on gun

England GB1 "Stantz" Pack in private collection
R-701 on pack
R-701 on gun

PIH GB1 "Spengler" GB1 pack
R-701 on pack
R-701 on gun

Sony Lobby GB2 semi hero
R-701 on pack
R-701 on gun

Archive GB2 semi hero
R-331 on pack
????? missing on gun

NYPH/DCPH GB2 Semi Hero
R-331 on pack
R-331 on gun

Volguus GB2 Semi hero
R-701 on Pack
R-331 on gun

There you go. As you can see, if your not replicating any specific pack, it doesnt really matter what configuration you use.
Last edited by mburkit on November 8th, 2012, 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Edited post upon request of original poster.
Thats interesting to see. I have always believed it was 701 on pack and 331 on gun, but if going by majority rules then 701 on pack and gun would be the configuration. Seems they just used whatever they had wherever they needed it.
noslliT wrote: Minnesota/Archive "Venkman" GB1 Pack
R-701 on pack
R-331 on gun
I believe that the Minnesota/Archive "Venkman" GB1 Pack has an R-701 on the gun and an R-331 on the pack.

It might also be useful to note which direction the Clippard label faces on the various guns. For example, the Minnestota, Stantz (and possibly the Omni) have the valve schematic facing up, while the Spengler and Sony Lobby guns have the Clippard logo facing up.
Demon Vice Commander wrote:
noslliT wrote: Minnesota/Archive "Venkman" GB1 Pack
R-701 on pack
R-331 on gun
I believe that the Minnesota/Archive "Venkman" GB1 Pack has an R-701 on the gun and an R-331 on the pack.

It might also be useful to note which direction the Clippard label faces on the various guns. For example, the Minnestota, Stantz (and possibly the Omni) have the valve schematic facing up, while the Spengler and Sony Lobby guns have the Clippard logo facing up.
Pardon me, you are correct I transposed those by mistake. If i could go back and edit the post i would.
XxEctOxX liked this
noslliT wrote:
Demon Vice Commander wrote: I believe that the Minnesota/Archive "Venkman" GB1 Pack has an R-701 on the gun and an R-331 on the pack.

Pardon me, you are correct I transposed those by mistake. If i could go back and edit the post i would.
And fixed.
XxEctOxX, noslliT liked this
This is very interesting and helpful, I always thought it was R-331 on pack and R-701 on gun but now I see there is only one pack found set up like that. I just got my clippards today, I think Ill go venkman pack style because for some reason I feel stuck on doing it that way.
Thanks for fixing that Matt.
Demon Vice Commander wrote:
noslliT wrote: Archive GB2 semi hero
R-331 on pack
????? missing on gun
Just out of curiosity, are there any recent photos of this pack that have been made public?
Unfortunately, it is not my place to disclose any of those pictures out of respect. The pack is broken/missing pieces and is not really worthy of much reference. There are only a handful of pictures taken of it anyway in the set.
There are other semi heros that are constructed in the same exact way that reveal much more detail.
XxEctOxX liked this
Vincenzo330 wrote:Wasn't there a 501 on one of those somewhere? I swear I remember a 501 floating around.
not that I'm aware of. The Hprops labels had a label for the 501. Its not impossible but I haven't seen any concrete evidence of one being used. The packs that were available for reference at that time all either use a 331 or 701.
This thread really made me feel better after buying a resin R-701 from the fan shop. I was going to modify it but after reading this thread I will never mind it and keep going in the same direction as I was before. Thanks for the awesome info. :cool::nicejobyoudid::crunch:
noslliT liked this

We're bringing you the latest updates to the GBFan[…]

Proton Props UK

Hey guys, I just wanted to give a quick update on […]

Ecto Containment Unit

First off awesome work!!! second of all where did […]

https://i.imgur.com/cMwtW9y.jpg Where do th[…]