By julz
Thanks man :)

From the ref and from doing the mock up, the 1/4 bolt hole is not in the center and the main reason for that is the alice frame holes are lower down... So the holes need to be lower down as well, in the ref there is definatly more space above the gb2 spacer than below so it kind of fits.
I'd say there is a small screw on each side if the main bolt drilled into the spacer block from the mobo side to stop the block from turning.

I just finished a blue print showing where the holes are which I'll put up soon.
By 35FT_TWINKIE
Well...after a few different attempts with a few different boards, I found some 1.5" x 1.5" stock at home depot and cut it up like this.

Then hit it with 3 coats of Krylon BBQ black. No particular reason for that particular black, other than I have a whole can that I'm not using on anything else...and it dries FAST!

Ended up with this!

And....on the pack!

I think they turned out awesome.
julz, Kingpin liked this
By BSjohnson
Not bad, Twinkie.
By onlyalad19
I know the holes are lower and off the vertical center because of the Alice frame. I was talking about the horizontal center (side to side) for the bolt. Another question would be what is the measurement of the gap between the blocks? That measurement would help determine if the bolts are slightly off center based on the known length of the blocks and the distance between them. Does that make more sense?
By julz
Hey Jared, I personally don't believe they are, with my current set-up, depending on where I place my camera I can achieve similar results to the reference pictures so far, from above it looks like they are further apart and lower down makes the gap between them look very small.

The picture of murrary's pack shows them to be not too far away from the mobo edges as well

My thoughts on your suggestion are this... again these are quick and dirty rushed spacer blocks, cut them out drill them slap them on and paint. I don't think they would have gone for absolute precision so I wouldn't be surprised the holes were randomly - but roughly in the right area. Plus another factor is where you place your motherboard holes for the spacer. If they are closer together then your spacers would be as well, In fact if they are closer together id put my money on the mob holes being closer than where they placed the hole in the block spacer...

I'll have another look tonight for you but if you see my mock up in 3d, the perspective made it look like the gap was very small but when you looked at it from the front its very similar to how i've currently set it up
By julz
Nice work btw Twinkie... they came out very well :cool:

I thought id put together some more research and measurements for what we have currently since I have been going through the remastered movie with a tooth and comb ...

The retrofitted hero's show bare metal where the spacers have been as well as missing paint on the booster tubes, it stands to reason that everything was assembled together on the pack and alice frame and then painted black in one go.
Going through some stills I noticed that the halfmoon button head screw is black and there really doesn't look like there is a washer there at all. It makes sense that the screws themselves would be black if they painted it all assembled.

I know this is known to some members already but there is also quite a lot of reference that shows the mounting bolts to be 1/4 screws instead of the larger ones members tend to use. On the sony hero you can clearly see the spacer surrounding the screw inside the alice frame hole, as well as shots from the gb2 semi hero and stunt...

I put some pictures together as well and also painted my button heads black to show as an example.

By julz
You should be sorry :sigh:

Twinkie... yours are fine you do not need the hockey pucks ... waves hand

I'm going to shoot gex next time I see him
By julz

Better resolution of this image, if you zoom in the upper 1/4 screw looks like a slotted button head, similar to the gb2 bellow screw.
By julz
By julz
Well I think there was probably a certain amount of "what ever screws" they had on hand.

Id say that particular screw would have to have a bit of a head on it to not need the washer for the alice frame, but I personally do think the screws were all 1/4, and id say the chances are fairly high in terms of accuracy to replace all three with the same slotted screw...
By 910dohead
Jared, it looks like its a pack upgrade day tomorrow! Along with the slotted screws, i'm going to have to change how the gaffers tape goes on my insulation noodle. I never noticed how much of the insulator was exposed on the bottom before. I have a whole list of upgrades building up waiting to be done on my pack. I guess tomorrow is a good day to start.
onlyalad19 liked this
By julz
910dohead wrote:Jared, it looks like its a pack upgrade day tomorrow! Along with the slotted screws, i'm going to have to change how the gaffers tape goes on my insulation noodle. I never noticed how much of the insulator was exposed on the bottom before. I have a whole list of upgrades building up waiting to be done on my pack. I guess tomorrow is a good day to start.

Actually... can we discuss this as well, maybe in another thread, but yes your right the gaffer tape is different... but I think it could be a hunt for more accurate insulation. DVC and I were tossing up on why it's white on the inside and if you look at that pic it looks white on the outside...

We were wondering if it's actually white insulation foam that's been gaffered and then had the ends painted black or vivid used?
The other option is white insulation tape used on both sides... but it would be interesting to try both methods out.
By 910dohead
julz wrote:Actually... can we discuss this as well, maybe in another thread, but yes your right the gaffer tape is different... but I think it could be a hunt for more accurate insulation. DVC and I were tossing up on why it's white on the inside and if you look at that pic it looks white on the outside...

We were wondering if it's actually white insulation foam that's been gaffered and then had the ends painted black or vivid used?
The other option is white insulation tape used on both sides... but it would be interesting to try both methods out.
Been there, done that. Haha. Basically, this is a 30+ year old insulation tube from a home air conditioning system. I have no clue what type of material it is. It's very similar to a stress ball. Now how I got the white effect going on inside the tubing, I bought a sheet of white duck brand tape (You can get it here) and applied about two inches on the ends. I'd love to know exactly what the real deal is. We know these were changed out for Ghostbusters II, so we may never know...

This was a found part. The outer layer before adding any gaffers has a similar color to the one in the screen shot. Once you apply the gaffers tape and pull it off, it also pulls that outer layer along with it. I'll see if Onlylad19 has anymore and take a picture of it.

Yeah, if you want to go into this further, one of us should start a new thread.
By PssdffJay
Ditto to the sticky!

Hey Julz, I don't know who's replica pack this is and maybe this is a new photo since this discovery of the lower spacer but the photo in the bottom right.

Are those the rectangle spacers? It looks like someone already put them there before. OR like I said, maybe this is a new photo.
By julz
Haha, the pictures are from my pack Jay, taken around the time of that post. I found more info in those screenshots and was just showing an example of the screws painted black :)
By KagaSakai
julz wrote:The retrofitted hero's show bare metal where the spacers have been as well as missing paint on the booster tubes, it stands to reason that everything was assembled together on the pack and alice frame and then painted black in one go.
I have often wondered this as well, and it makes total sense based on the bare aluminum where the spacers used to be on the Murrary hero. But on the flip side, what bugs me is that the fasteners on the ALICE frames and still chrome color and not black. If they just assembled the packs with the ALICE attached and sprayed them down I'd imagine that those fasteners would be black as well.
By Harry Bardwell
I think he means the were painted black in one go for GB1, but the retro fit for GB2 they didn't have paint them just add new parts, that's why some parts are still bare metal on the packs.
By julz
Yeah, I personally think all the fasteners were replaced for the gb2 hero's, all the black washers, screws, and gb1 spacers were removed and placed with the new metal spacers and washers.

My take on the gb2 setup is the packs were already black so no need to repaint everything from scratch so the new screws and washers are as is...
By KagaSakai
To clarify, what I meant by "fasteners" were the actual structural rivets on the ALICE. If the GB1 packs were all riveted and bolted together with the spacers in place, which again, would make sense with the evidence of the bare aluminum on the Murrary hero motherboard, and just sprayed down, it would seem hard to NOT paint over the ALICE rivets, but they weren't.

By julz
Ohhhhh haha I see what you mean Mark, Sorry... I'm a bit slow ;)

Well this is me very much "speculating" what I think went on, but that particular area where the rivets are is used alot to pick up the packs, plus putting on the packs - the lc1 straps and the actors costume rubbing the rivets from time to time, id say there is a pretty good chance the paint just rubbed off...

Looky at this pic of Winston's pack... one of the rivets looks very black to me and the other not as crome as usual...

There are a few rivets on the rear of the packs that look black as well...

I know we don't have proper proof though... just screen shots :walterpeck:
Greetings

http://i.imgur.com/1kB7fOZ.jpg

I love that people are still making these packs. I[…]

For the legacy shell, what aspects are damage that[…]

At the moment my interest would be what sorts fo[…]