Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
Krenzy wrote:Steps off soap box.
Ahahahahaha that was a good one! LOL

So the hate towards matty is not so much for the lack of detail BUT for the fact they are deaf to the cries of their clients I take it?
How about both. Lack of detail and being deaf
sooooo, any idea from Matty if this could be a possibility or not?

I was really hoping to hear today that they announced ANY new role play item, but especially the Proton Pack to match with the Wand. I mean come on, they HAVE to do one now. What good is a lonely wand without a home?
Well, honestly, I've never been a stickler for accuracy. Now, granted, I want it to LOOK like a proton thrower.ghost trap/ etc, but little stuff like incorrect hat lights, the little red tube connector things at the end of the barrel not being "gold enough" or that kinda stuff... that doesn't really matter. To me anyway. I know it's a big deal to some of you and that is completely fine. You're looking for something different in your product. But I've built my own pack literally from scratch made out of foam board, I've worn packs that were cast or scratch built and you could have sworn were movie props, and I own the matty thrower.

I'll pick up my matty thrower any day of the week. I have a wife, a job, and a bunch of other stuff on my plate now that I didn't have when I built my own pack or rolled with the AZGB team at their events. The idea/task of building a thrower like the matty one, in terms of functionality and durability, was never going to be an option for me. I love that I was able to get that kind of product for the price it was. I have no desire to make it more accurate (if anything, I love the idea that since I spent less money/time buying it, if I do anything, I'll jump straight into modifying it... not to be more accurate though. No. To make it more unique. Add-ons, new ideas, that sort of thing). Sure, that might mean it's not a "prop", but I've been a GB fan since before I can remember. The song made me get up and dance when I was a kid, which led to me learning how to walk. It inspired me to become a comicbook writer/artist/illustrator/film maker. I've read everything there is to know about GB just like most of you... and not once have I looked at my Matty thrower and been disappointed. So maybe I'm not looking for a prop. And to maybe "prop" vs "replica" vs "pretty darn close looking toy for grown ups" is all just semantics. And if Matty produces packs, you can be sure I'll be right there, buying one. I would LOVE to see more and more GBs pop up at conventions and such. Why would we want a love of GB to be an exclusive club? That seems non-sensical... am I missing something?

But like I said, that's just me. I know there are those of you that expect more. That is totally your steez, and totally acceptable. I just wanted to throw my opinion/point of view out there to show that not everyone is dissatisfied with what we've been given, and that in the scheme of things, it's pretty amazing that we can actually buy a professionally made set of GB equipment with ease.
ProtonPack83, WaySweet liked this
The understanding I was given the other day is that many license holders ( Matty, Diamond Select ) had a 5-year contract to make various items and renewal would be based on how those first 5 went. Given the gripes people had about them, if you were in their shoes would you renew it? The way I see it, perfectionists harassed a company into just not giving a damn anymore. Even if some of the complaints feel legit it comes down to internet community complaining because business didn't happen the way they thought it should. I wouldn't count on them making a pack. Don't like it? Thank the people who harassed them on their own board about it.
SpaceCoastGBs liked this
Kingpin wrote:
Fifthrider wrote:Even if some of the complaints feel legit
Some of them were legitimate.
I've been on here nowhere near as long as some of the more seniored members, but I've certainly loved Ghostbusters as long as anyone else. I've watched that movie hundreds of times and it was my absolute favorite as a kid. One of the most important aspects to me was that the Kenner Role Play toys allowed me to pretend like I was Venkman, all suited up, ready to catch some ghosts. From the projector gun to the proton pack set to the actually functional trap, I had it made as a kid with a big imagination.

I completely respect the time and effort that many of you have put into custom packs. I do see a bit of elitism in many comments downplaying the importance or "coolness" of a Matty pack. I feel like those of you that do have them now see yourselves as in an exclusive club and that any other pack attacks the exclusiveness of "said" club. It seems pretty childish from my perspective because aren't we all fans of the SAME EXACT MOVIE!? Who care who has what. When I was a kid and my friends had some kick-ass toys, I wanted them too! I was envious more than jealous. It was cool to share them with each other and play together.

So, in the spirit of that, why can't we all just play together, eh?

I'm a full-time teacher, I'm a professional part-time musician, I just bought a house for which I'm doing all the renovations and I'm not much of a builder unless it's LEGO. I literally would have no time or patience to sit down and bang out a pack, let alone buy one for the prices being asked online for customs. For me and I'm sure COUNTLESS others, a Matty pack would be a sweet solution. What fan hasn't dreamed of strapping on a pack, feeling the weight and drawing the wand from their backs? The wand is the closest I've got to that feeling and it only cost me $140! That's amazing! To all you purists, I think it's a freaking incredible replica and it's certainly not a toy. This thing is totally on par with Star Wars Master Replicas lightsabers, blasters, etc. and it makes authentic sounds, albeit a bit muted.

So here's to Matty figuring out how to do one for $500 or less, making it compatible with our Matty Wands and making it loud enough so when I power it on, people can hear it in a crowded bar on Halloween! Anyways, that's MY dream, hopefully some of you can respect that.
I'm with ya. As a guy who's made a PKE meter from scratch, I sort of like the $50 one better. Mine cost me about $800 to make back around 2002 or whenever it was. If someone made a production run of proton packs I would have probably bought one back then and merely altered it for details and perfection later.

I have no animosity against people buying a store-bought and modifying it. I also don't see one ever getting made at this point. ( That inflatable thing doesn't count, sort of like the last Indiana Jones movie. )
Yeah I'm gonna go ahead and disagree with Fifthrider as for why Mattel didn't produce a pack hasn't yet produced a pack. Do you honestly think it was because fans were too elite and complained? Since when has a company like Mattel ever given a shit what the fans think? I'm guessing you're not too familiar with the He-Man groups, or the other fiascos that happened with the BTTF Hoverboard or Castle Grey Skull. Those two alone are orders of magnitude worse than ANYTHING the Ghostbusters community has ever had, done or complained about.

They do not care one bit what fans think. They only care if the fans will buy them, and if they can make a good profit in doing so.

The Ghostbusters line has only been a cash grab for Mattel. They had easily a 20x mark up on the figures they were producing once the molds were done, and with all the variants. They were literally phoning it in for the last 2 years.

The only complaining Mattel actually hears from fans is the complaining that is done with the fan's pocketbook. If something isn't going to sell, they aren't going to make it. They have ZERO obligation to do anything for anyone but themselves and their shareholders (and whatever the Government regulates).

In regards to licensing, Mattel has a TOY license. Their 'prop replicas' (as awesome as the Ghost Trap, PKE Meter and Wand were) they were still toys. They had to be because of the license. They were meant to be played with. There are other licenses out there. For example, Rubies has the license for costumes. Their license would prevent them from doing toy props the way Mattel does them, and Mattel would be unable to do costume stuff like Rubies does it. There is a 3rd license for actual Prop Replicas, and that is a completely different matter... technically Mattel never should have called their toys Prop Replicas. That's why the Ecto Goggles and Wand were referred to as "Movie Masters Epic Creations" and not "Prop Replicas" (the shipping box from China still says prop replicas, but they are not advertised as such.)

To say we didn't get a Proton Pack because a few people were upset by the idea of them making them is just ignorant.
I am just bummed that they've come this far with the props which to my knowledge have been extremely successful, as evidenced by the ludicrous prices online for resale. I can't imagine the props (or toys, if that's your bag) weren't doing well for them. They still could make a boatload on traps and PKE meters for people who didn't buy them yet. I really don't get why I pack is out of the realm for them to make. It would probably be the most popular replica that they would make.
ProtonPack83 wrote:I feel like those of you that do have them now see yourselves as in an exclusive club and that any other pack attacks the exclusiveness of "said" club.
I don't feel it's the exclusiveness of owning a Pack, or an attack on that feeling which is what inspired so much dislike.

It's the potential for the work invested in Non-Matty Packs to be devalued which I believe was more at heart of the issue.

I remember hearing a few stories about various costume contests won by people who bought store bought costumes, and even some accounts of guys in Ghostbusters gear either being disqualified on the basis of, or being told by a member of the public that they thought the Ghostbusters costume was store bought. When you've lavished the hours getting a Pack (or any prop for that matter) to what you specifically want... one of the last things you want to hear someone say is they think it was a bought from a store.
Simply put no. The only way we are ever going to see a Matty pack would be if GB3 is going to happen. We are more likely to see half-life 3 before ghostbusters 3.

If your looking for a somewhat accurate toy pack. There is a Halloween company making a deluxe pack. I think it comes out this year.
I'm not a businessman, my issues with mathematics would stand as a pretty big barrier to me ever owning my own business.

What I do know however, is sometimes voting only with your wallet is not always the strongest or most successful strategy.

Voting with your wallet only works once the product has been released, negating all chances of potentially fixing the problem before said item hits the shelves.

Sometimes complaining beforehand, in certain circumstances actually does provide results.

The aforementioned "Legitimate" complain I referenced earlier:

On the left: Slime Blower Winston as he was being touted at the Matty booth.
On the right: Slime Blower Winston pretty much as he was released.

In addition to missing the harness (and having a weird head), the Slime Blower's proportions are out of scale with the figure.

If we had only voted with our wallets on this figure, chances are nothing would've been corrected, and in the end the figure would've sold poorly.

Through voicing our issues with the figure, the problems were corrected (even though it did delay the figure) and the final product was perfect upon release (and hopefully sold well).

Voting with your wallet is a viable strategy in some areas, it's what I've done with the main Spider-Man title ever since One More/Brand New Day - although it hasn't resulted in anything I find agreeable. Sometimes it isn't a viable strategy.

Voicing criticism is also a strategy that doesn't always have the intended result, but sometimes it is a viable strategy.
Gareee liked this
Understood, Ben. But there's a difference between making those suggestions for a better product as opposed to some of the behaviour that happened on the Mattel forum. Pointing at the process of suggestions for a better product is sort of sweeping the harassing behaviour on their forums, and behind the scenes, under the rug.
SpaceCoastGBs liked this
ecto88mph wrote: If your looking for a somewhat accurate toy pack. There is a Halloween company making a deluxe pack. I think it comes out this year.
Last news that I remember seeing was posted here on 4 April, 2014:
DJ Venkman wrote:I spoke with someone from rubies and heres what he said: Our production development team is working on a mold. Once completed it will have to be approved by the licensor. Therefore, we do not have a time frame as of now.
And at this point, it's pretty late in the year to not have something available for Halloween yet. That being said- I really DO wish it would become available within the next month or so... but I won't hold my breath.
here is the link to the Rubies costume pack you guys are talking about

http://rubies.com/item/?n=32007

its smaller then 1:1 scale, and its very very likely not going to have sounds or lights - I would say its called "deluxe" because they are comparing it to the inflatable pack/costume that they came out with 5 years ago

(oops, broke my lurker promise)
Kingpin wrote:
ProtonPack83 wrote:I feel like those of you that do have them now see yourselves as in an exclusive club and that any other pack attacks the exclusiveness of "said" club.
I don't feel it's the exclusiveness of owning a Pack, or an attack on that feeling which is what inspired so much dislike.

It's the potential for the work invested in Non-Matty Packs to be devalued which I believe was more at heart of the issue.

I remember hearing a few stories about various costume contests won by people who bought store bought costumes, and even some accounts of guys in Ghostbusters gear either being disqualified on the basis of, or being told by a member of the public that they thought the Ghostbusters costume was store bought. When you've lavished the hours getting a Pack (or any prop for that matter) to what you specifically want... one of the last things you want to hear someone say is they think it was a bought from a store.
While that would be a HUGE letdown to have that happen to someone who had tirelessly put in all the hours only to be confused with a retail-bought pack is a shame. Of course I can sympathize with that.

Let's be real though, (I know he's apparently a schmo) but any other schmo can simply BUY a pack that looks exactly like most of your typical customs from Bob's Prop Shop and a few other exclusive pack makers.

So I simply ask the question, what the heck is the difference? People with $1000+ to spend can negate ALL the work you spoke of and now they are also walking around conventions and such. I still think it's incredibly elitist to think that a MATTY pack should NOT get made for those reasons. Simply put, your exclusivity is pretty much gone anyways with the advent of the online retailers selling custom packs. For someone to not recognize whether or not you made it yourself is a pretty isolated incident, even if it's frustrating for the builder.

Of course, building a pack is all about sharing with the world as well, but it's coming to the point where honestly, only pack-build experts like yourselves would even be able to tell the differences. You walk around any Con and you're gonna see a ton of fan-made packs mixed with a custom-bought packs as well. At least you guys still have the conversation piece of "hey, did you build yours" and obviously getting the respect of your brethren who HAVE invested the time.

That said, there are ZERO good reasons any of you could ever have on why Matty shouldn't make a pack. Of course they should! Will they? There are a lot of naysayers, and I understand some of the reasoning, but I'm gonna remain optimistic.
Smeghead liked this
ProtonPack83 wrote:
That said, there are ZERO good reasons any of you could ever have on why Matty shouldn't make a pack. Of course they should! Will they? There are a lot of naysayers, and I understand some of the reasoning, but I'm gonna remain optimistic.
The "threat" of home-builders being marginalized is a non-starter. The reason Matty shouldn't make a pack is because they won't do it right.

The Matty trap didn't replace home-built ones. The Matty wand (while fine for some people) doesn't hold a candle to a well-built thrower. The goggles, not even close. The PKE was a decent job, and actually did fill a need, mostly because a functioning replica PKE is arguably the least accessible Ghostbusters prop to home-build.

A Matty pack would be plastic junk and most of them would be in a landfill in a few years. If someone thinks your home-built pack was bought from a store, then (they are ignorant, because where is the proton pack store, really???) it is a compliment because your pack is damn awesome. Show someone a Matty pack and they would think it came from a toy manufacturer, and they would be EXACTLY right.

Although a Matty pack would be cheaper than building a hero pack with a shell kit, it will be way too expensive for what it is.

Then people won't buy it, at least not in large numbers. Or, Matty will demand a pre-sale sight-unseen before going into production. After the Hoverboard incident, anyone would have to have holes in their head to participate in that.

Matty will blame the poor sales on the fans, as they have in the past, saying we are unreasonable or that no one is interested in the Ghostbusters line anymore. When in reality, no one is interested in Matty's junk anymore.
AJ Quick, seekandannoy liked this
ProtonPack83 wrote:That said, there are ZERO good reasons any of you could ever have on why Matty shouldn't make a pack.
A Matty Collector Proton Pack would be a pale imitation.

Using past releases to form a hypothetical basis (and I will say here like Kevin did, that the PKE Meter was the best replica they produced, followed by the Trap), I'd speculate the following:

* The main body of the Proton Pack would be a sort of charcoal grey, rather than black.
* Most of the metal fittings, excluding the other half of the V-Hook would be plastic, or rubber.
* The Pack will undoubtedly have sounds, but with a sound system on a toy replica's budget (so audible in a normal residence, but you'd never hear it at a place like Comic Con).
* The ribbon cable would probable be moulded plastic, with colour detailing only on the lowest unwound portion of it.
* The light covers would be clear (with coloured LEDs used in the Cyclotron and Power Cell.
* All of the labels would be glossy (regardless of if they were replicating something that was matte, glossy or only part-glossy).
* The Pack would likely have the same style of distressing that the prior replicas have had.
* There'll possibly be filled-in sections, akin to areas of the Stunt Proton Pack props.
* Any straps and frame that it might have won't be military spec, and so may not stand up to prolonged wear and tear. They may not even bother with having a frame, and instead attach the straps inside the Pack.
Kingpin wrote: * Any straps and frame that it might have won't be military spec, and so may not stand up to prolonged wear and tear. They may not even bother with having a frame, and instead attach the straps inside the Pack.
The last part u said scares me in this way: anyone who has the matty goggles knows how uncomfortable they are without padding, imagine the pack without padding, on ya back.
Kingpin wrote: A Matty Collector Proton Pack would be a pale imitation.

Using past releases to form a hypothetical basis (and I will say here like Kevin did, that the PKE Meter was the best replica they produced, followed by the Trap), I'd speculate the following:

* The main body of the Proton Pack would be a sort of charcoal grey, rather than black.
* Most of the metal fittings, excluding the other half of the V-Hook would be plastic, or rubber.
* The Pack will undoubtedly have sounds, but with a sound system on a toy replica's budget (so audible in a normal residence, but you'd never hear it at a place like Comic Con).
* The ribbon cable would probable be moulded plastic, with colour detailing only on the lowest unwound portion of it.
* The light covers would be clear (with coloured LEDs used in the Cyclotron and Power Cell.
* All of the labels would be glossy (regardless of if they were replicating something that was matte, glossy or only part-glossy).
* The Pack would likely have the same style of distressing that the prior replicas have had.
* There'll possibly be filled-in sections, akin to areas of the Stunt Proton Pack props.
* Any straps and frame that it might have won't be military spec, and so may not stand up to prolonged wear and tear. They may not even bother with having a frame, and instead attach the straps inside the Pack.

I find it interesting so many people think Matty would sell a "pack only" to go with their proton gun. That would never ever ever ever ever ever happen. If they sell a pack, it's coming with a wand, and you're paying for it. I'm sure that would go over well...
Do I think mattel will ever make the proton pack?

No. Consider the size of a Proton Pack against any of the other GB "prop" toys they have made to date. In material alone it would be ( in my estimation) about 5 to 6 times more plastic, rubber, etc. and the needed electronics. Lets look at the prices of past items.

PKE ............$70.00
Trap..........$130.00
Wand........$150.00
Goggles...$110.00

Average...$460.00 divided by 4 give us $115.00 per prop.

5 times that would give $575.00. 6 times equals $690.00 so the pack would fall somewhere between. Even if they cut corners, they might get it down to under $500.00

I don't think that mattel is going to commit to a "prop" toy in that price range.

Kingpin liked this
Kingpin wrote:
ProtonPack83 wrote:That said, there are ZERO good reasons any of you could ever have on why Matty shouldn't make a pack.
A Matty Collector Proton Pack would be a pale imitation.

That sounds absolutely terrible ( sarcasm). Who the hell cares? Seriously? It's would look 95% like a real pack and 100% to any casual bystander's eye, unless you're a proton pack nut. I think the people who would simply buy a Matty pack far outweigh the ones who are willing to take the time to make their own. Charcoal Grey = it can be painted black and I'm sure Matty would. They aren't going to give us a grey pack if they actually do this. As for the straps, sure maybe they can't do a replica Alice frame, but it could be a simple aluminum frame with some tubing and some semi-decent straps. And if it wasn't, so be it. I'm sure it would be "close" .

As for someone mentioning a $500-$600 price point, so what? You DO realize that Master Replicas built their business on selling 8 inch lightsabers, granted their cast metal, but still....a static hilt with ZERO function and you were paying in that same range for the replica. If you want to go further, the new Star Wars prop company put out a Luke Skywalker lightsaber with internals and a few lights, no sounds and it opens up, for around the same price point. The thing could practically fit in your pocket and people will shell out big money for that. It also had a pre-order quota to meet and it was met, and people were very satisfied with the product. Obviously a different company and Matty has had it's own debacles, but this is not rocket science.

People WILL buy a Matty pack for that price, and no, it would NOT come with a wand. They would simply re-release the Wand to sell alongside it. Not to mention, they'd be getting much more money in selling them ala carte, which I'm sure factors into their business plan. They could also possibly do a pack/wand set where they do in fact sell them together a for a slight discount, who knows.

If people are willing to by pocket sized lightsabers that do nothing but look nice on a belt, I'm absolutely certain that people will buy a fully-electronic pack that lights up, enhances the sounds of the wand more loudly and looks the part.

Their props have been nothing short of awesome, even if they're a little expensive or slightly cheap in the parts and mechanics (like the Trap), but overall, they've made amazing replicas. I hope they finish out strong with a Pack once the movie GB3 is dropping trailers and about to open in theaters. I'm guessing that's when we'd most likely get it, if ever.
The Matty trap didn't replace home-built ones. The Matty wand (while fine for some people) doesn't hold a candle to a well-built thrower. The goggles, not even close. The PKE was a decent job, and actually did fill a need, mostly because a functioning replica PKE is arguably the least accessible Ghostbusters prop to home-build.

A Matty pack would be plastic junk and most of them would be in a landfill in a few years.

A land fill!? Right, because everyone throws away their $500 collectibles after they tire of their inaccuracies haha. Just listen to yourself for a second, this is the kind of crap I'm talking about. We get it, you built your own, you feel the pride, no "toy" can ever replace your amazing cache of Ghostbusting weaponry. I'm not being sarcastic when I say, mad props to you for building something from scratch or even with resin parts that you pieced out over a long time period to get the most accurate pack/trap/thrower you could get. I'm sure it looks incredible and feels great when completed.

Of course the Matty traps or wands aren't going to "replace" any for those that have already built them. But they DID fill a need/wish/want/dream for thousands of people that would never put in that kind of time, including myself. They are amazing additions to collections for huge Ghostbuster fans like myself. Buying these props doesn't make us love the movie any less than those who build their own stuff. It's simply a choice, and life is full of them, so let's thank Matty for giving us the choice!

I'm glad you guys can admit the PKE was great, but it's ironic to me, because of the one basic function it has, the sound is completely off from the movie, whereas the Trap and Wand have authentic movie sound reproductions. The PKE doesn't make that awesome clicky sound when Egon was moving through the bookshelves, it is more like a beeping. If I could critique anything, it would be that. Come on Matty , you had ONE thing you had to get right and kinda missed that opportunity. Sure, the goggles aren't EXACTLY spec, but if I see a dude or lady walking through Con with them, and I'd say yep, those are Ecto-Goggles and they sure look awesome. The integration alone with other props makes them even more amazing. I'm sure fan built goggles don't feature proton streams when you hold a wand in proximity or see other ghosts when holding a PKE. That kind of stuff is pretty awesome for Matty to include and the integration is a pretty fantastic concept. It encourages fans to buy everything, so I give them props for that. I'm also glad to see there are some builders out there who still buy the Matty props just because they are so awesome. It's not like they're defecting or something, they just appreciate the coolness of the products and the nostalgia, and that's good to see as well.
Last edited by Kingpin on August 1st, 2014, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
Smeghead liked this
I've sent an email again to my contact at Rubies, asking if the deluxe pack will see release this year, and for any details on it.

I also asked if they've shelved the project, if there is any way to get a hold of the prototype.

when I hear anything back, I'll of course pass it on.
ProtonPack83, Smeghead liked this

This is awesome, One time. I love reading explanat[…]

And, lastly, for now, the video that prompted me t[…]

At some point, probably just better off opening up[…]

Spengler/84 wand Gun Track

So...I had more than a little problem with dis[…]