Venkman's Swagger wrote:Look good to me. Loving this build
Thank you my friend! I appreciate the feedback because otherwise I sit around wasting time overthinking little details like this :-D
Lol you're welcome bish. I'll be starting on my GB2 Stantz/Sony Lobby build soon and didn't even notice the little holes. Jay came up big for us both. The bumper will hide the holes but hey we'll know they are there :)
bishopdonmiguel liked this
PssdffJay wrote:Looks right to me! Good job!

I wish I had a power sander, it would have made that part easier.
Thanks. Your work here keeps me moving forward. In fact, your approach for attaching the Loom into the Gearbox using PVC and a wooden dowel was inspiring. While I was growing up, my father had a saying that he repeated ad infinitum... "preserve your options." I often think about that before committing to permanent choices. So I hope you don't mind me borrowing your idea and combining it with my MagSafe Leg Connector to create the MagSafe Vacuum Line Gearbox connector (please, someone come up with a better name... I beg you).

I tapped a wooden dowel for use with a 1/4-20 bolt and Crix's resin Vacuum Line. Some epoxy between 3/4-inch neodymium magnets and wooden dowels creates a set of (2) quick disconnects. I will be using Milliput to get the mounting points even and level and then epoxy into the shell and resin parts. Click, click!

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on September 20th, 2018, 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Lol you're welcome bish. I'll be starting on my GB2 Stantz/Sony Lobby build soon and didn't even notice the little holes. Jay came up big for us both. The bumper will hide the holes but hey we'll know they are there :)
I can't believe how much time I am spending on little things that no one but me and a few other die hard fans will notice. But that's the fun, really. Like you said, we will know it's there!

Another thing I never noticed is the hole in the bottom of the PPD. I will be addressing that soon!

Can't wait to see you get started on that pack.
Wait...........What.............What hole? I've never noticed 1 before. Thanks mate, it'll be a long process but this is a dream come true for me so I want to do it right.
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Wait...........What.............What hole? I've never noticed 1 before.
It's on the Harold Ramis Hero pack. Not sure if the other packs have this but I figure why not drill a hole there.

From the Equipment Reference section...
Ah that's why I've not seen it. I've been researching the Sony Lobby every day for months from all angles and had never come across a hole in the PPD. Must be a hero/Spengler thing maybe?!?
Venkman's Swagger wrote:Ah that's why I've not seen it. I've been researching the Sony Lobby every day for months from all angles and had never come across a hole in the PPD. Must be a hero/Spengler thing maybe?!?
Possibly but I'm no authority on the pack variants. I'm just taking whatever I like from the various packs and combining it into mine. Thus, my "all-fired plain-vanilla" pack. For this old guy, the stress of trying to make a perfect replica of a specific pack would bring on early dementia. I'm already getting there quickly enough, I don't need the extra push!
I want to see a magnet gun track!!!

Pretty sure that hole is only on the Spengler hero pack.

Did you notice this extra hole?

Krenzy's Spengler build shows all these extra nuances really well.
PssdffJay wrote:Did you notice this extra hole?

Krenzy's Spengler build shows all these extra nuances really well.
That Krenzy build is first class! That extra hole has been on my radar but haven't yet decided if I should drill that fitting. What do you guys think?
35FT_TWINKIE wrote:Those look just about right! I wouldn't change them.

Did you drill them all the way through, or just dimple them?
Drilled all the way through. Should I have just dimpled? I could fill them from the back if I screwed that up.
I tested two textures on the PVC Booster Tube that I'm not using from Crix's set. Would appreciate any input.

Frist sample. I think this is too fine although it may work nicely as an undercoat...

Second sample. I think this next one has potential. Should the texture be more or less dense? I sanded it down a touch before hitting it with a flat black topcoat. Might have needed a tad more sanding to knock-down the high spots a bit more, not sure. This first is a high zoom so I added a second shot to provide better context of the effect...

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on September 20th, 2018, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like the second one but it needs to be more uniform. Instead of it spotting in a few spots it should be consistent over the whole tube.
I prefer the first option. Its a lot more subtle and ties in better to the texture on the screen used packs in my opinion.

This is a zoomed in shot of the cyclotron texture. I think your first option isn't too far off
I concur. The first one is much closer.

The 2nd once looks like it would need to be sprayed more heavily/densely, then sanded down to come close to any screen used packs.
Thanks everyone. Your feedback is very helpful. I have another test drying now. The first has another coat. Hoping that will build up the texture. The second is now more dense. Will probably need to sand that down a bit before putting on another topcoat. Will post updates tomorrow.

In the meantime, I had an opportunity to convert the GB2 Ion Arm End Cap into a GB1 version. At the time I ordered from the GBFans store, the GB1 was out of stock. Turns out, I could have waited for a stock refresh but I didn't want to be empty handed when I needed one.

Drilling was straightforward. I did need a small countersink because the brass elbow threads stop a bit short. Tapping was a little rough but it worked out.

Last edited by bishopdonmiguel on September 20th, 2018, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texture update.

An additional coat on the first sample smoothed out the texture more than building on it...

A dense spray on the second certainly provides a more uniform look...

The zoom is amplifying both textures considerably. From the vantage point of my old eyeballs, the first looks nearly smooth while the second is more subtle from a foot away. Fear that the first example would end up looking just like the rest of the pack.
PssdffJay wrote:Aren't the parts supposed to be smooth? The texture only on the shell?
Yes. That is a PVC Booster Tube left over from Crix's resin set. I'm just using that to test the texture for the shell. Needed something smooth and made of plastic. I had tossed this in the bin but pulled it for this test.
If you're out at an event, and you are unwillingly and forcefully pulled toward a certain Ghostbuster like a tractor beam, it's probably bishopdonmiguel with all his super-magnet attachments. :lol:

Looking good, man!
^ hahahaha!!

Oh, missed that it was a tester. Did anyone mention about the holes on the rings? They are only just dimples. Not all the way through.

I'm even thinking I can still add that to mine even though I painted.
Not all the hero packs had them. It was the semi hero packs where they were on every pack. Depends what you like I guess as with or without is screen accurate for a hero build
Parflagush wrote:If you're out at an event, and you are unwillingly and forcefully pulled toward a certain Ghostbuster like a tractor beam, it's probably bishopdonmiguel with all his super-magnet attachments. :lol:

Looking good, man!
Yeah, I was wondering how long it would take before someone busted my balls about the magnets! So I confess, I like magnets. They're magic! :)

PssdffJay wrote:Did anyone mention about the holes on the rings? They are only just dimples. Not all the way through.
Crapola, I went all the way through. But no biggie. I will either fill them or leave them. No sure after painting if anyone could see the difference.

Now that we at SAGB have actually got through our […]

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal el[…]

I have not heard of this. On the Matty PKE, if the[…]

Hard to tell if it’s an actual black fligh[…]