Ecto-won-ton wrote:
Spongeface wrote:Would anyone be interested in pack electronics (lights and possibly sound) that worked with an unmodified Matty Wand?

The electronics would connect to the wand with a single thin cable that has a plug that mates with the jack in the wand's handle, but would need a separate battery located in the pack.
Any luck on this project? Because my future pack build is going to rely heavily on this gadget lol

Keep up the good work!
I could not figure out how to get sound out of the wand, but the wand's jack does provide enough information to control the GBFans pack lights board:

AJ Quick, LandoSystem, Smeghead and 3 others liked this
OK So I need specifics on this!!!

I just ordered my gbfans light kit. And NEED this to be a reality in my life.

1. What is the little board that the cable runs to from the wand? Is it the Light Kit Adapter Board in the gbfans shop?

2. How did you connect the 1/8" cable to the board?

3. Is the audio cable a stereo or mono cable?

THIS IS AWESOME AND YOU ARE AWESOME AND I WANT TO COPY IT AND BE JUST LIKE YOU
venkman30 wrote:Would also like to know how this is hooked up.
Spongeface developed a special board that interfaces with the light kit through the Matty cable.

I'm sure he will be offering them for sale at some point because it seems like there is a lot of interest there!!
AJ Quick wrote:
I'm sure he will be offering them for sale at some point because it seems like there is a lot of interest there!!

Image[
Smeghead liked this
This is a Matty Adapter board that will include a 10' stereo cable. The board also plugs into the GBFans power cell lights board and uses the GBFans ribbon cable normally used to connect the power cell lights to the sound board.

I will have a For Sale post up when I have a few of these built up and tested.

And here is another feature of the setup:
Thank you for the further info.
Spongeface wrote:
I will have a For Sale post up when I have a few of these built up and tested.

I will be on the look out for your for sale post. Could you kindly also post here to let people know when the boards are for sale?

One more question: What happens to the lights when the Matty wand goes into sleep mode?
shootforit wrote:Thank you for the further info.
One more question: What happens to the lights when the Matty wand goes into sleep mode?
Sleep mode looks the same as functioning (at least from the connector), so the pack lights will keep going.
venkman30 wrote:Sorry if you mentioned this and I just didn't notice but will this adapter board work only with the gbfans light kit or will it work with other light kits as well?
Only the GBFans board - that way it can encode the special features like speeding up when firing on full intensity and the stream crossing affects.

I do not know how the other pack light boards are controlled, so not sure how much the board would need to be modified to support them.
also.. I know everyone hates him, but does anyone know if video bobs packs have the right motherboard for this mattel adaptor to work correctly?? I cant seem to get an answer out of them... and I don't want to buy their pack if I have to redo the electronics to work with this... and if not, can anyone direct me to someone who offers a pack minus the gun with correct internals for this to work?? thanks for any info!!!
By Smeghead
ghostbusterfreak wrote:also.. I know everyone hates him, but does anyone know if video bobs packs have the right motherboard for this mattel adaptor to work correctly?? I cant seem to get an answer out of them... and I don't want to buy their pack if I have to redo the electronics to work with this... and if not, can anyone direct me to someone who offers a pack minus the gun with correct internals for this to work?? thanks for any info!!!
I think I speak for almost everyone when I say, "don't buy one of his packs in the first place." ;)

Like many people, when I first started searching for proton packs, his was the one that kept coming up in the results. But I've just started my build (see link in my sig) using a Matty wand, and so far, it's nowhere near as scary as it looks at first. :) (Famous last words...)
I think Bobs wands are modded so they run the internal sound board to an external amp and speaker. I believe in order to run the wires from the wand to the pack they had to remove the port Spongeface uses to connect his pack lights.
Just one of the many, many reasons not to order from Bob.
By Spongeface
Not sure where this info should go, but thought it should be available to any who were interested:

This is a description of the Matty encoded pulse trains coming out of one of the two contacts (relative to the third pin that is ground) on the Matty wand 3.5mm stereo jack. Haven't figured out the purpose of the other contact...

All of the pulse trains start with a single long positive going pulse about 14.1mS (+/- 0.1mS) long followed by a variable number of short pulses. Each short pulse has a Low time of 75 to 95uS and a High time of 90 to 110uS.
There is at least 12mS of no pulses (low value) between pulse trains, so you should never see two 14mS pulses very close together (at least 12mS of gap between them).

Here are the wand actions and resulting pulse trains described as "Action" ---> # short Pulses
  • Power On ---> 6
    Generator On ---> 4
    Generator Off ---> 5
    Fire On (low intensity) ---> 0 (no short pulses just the long one)
    Fire On (high intensity) ---> 1
    Fire Off ---> 3
    Crossing Streams (start) --> 2
    Crossing Streams (off) --> 0 or 1, basically indicates a Fire On of whatever intensity setting you have selected
    Changing intensity with the Stream Dial while firing generates a Fire On pulse train of the new intensity setting. No Fire Off pulse train is generated.
Actions that do not generate pulse trains:
  • Proton Indicator On or Off
    Barrel Extension/retraction
    Auto power down (goes into low power mode)
    Power Off, but then how could it? You removed power completely form the wand!
Using the median values of times, at the start of Crossing Streams, the pulse train on the receiving Wand looks like this (the other wand doesn't know it is causing a stream crossing):
  • Time 0ms, rising edge
    Time 14,100uS, falling edge (14.1 mS incoming long pulse)
    Time 14,185uS, rising edge
    Time 14,285uS, falling edge (1rst short pulse)
    Time 14,370uS, rising edge
    Time 14,470uS, falling edge (2nd short pulse)
By gold333
I read this whole thread with interest. Great that someone figured out the signals.

I'm trying to find out if the whole plastic clippard is removeable on the matty wand... Does anyone know?

It feels like it might come off if pulled hard enough, but I figured I would ask here first so I don't bust it up.
By JoeLuna33
gold333 wrote:I'm trying to find out if the whole plastic clippard is removeable on the matty wand... Does anyone know?

It feels like it might come off if pulled hard enough, but I figured I would ask here first so I don't bust it up.
You could probably get it off. I disassembled one of the throwers and I think it had a plastic bung that it slipped onto. It's smaller than a standard Clippard as well so a cast or real one would look over sized on it.

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]

No issue with Spongeface keepalive and TalentCel[…]

After 2 years of this failed Walmart trap conversi[…]

Wanna play Unleashed with me?

I'm ready big man whenever you want let's goooooo.[…]