For news, reviews, videos and general topics about Ghostbusters: The Video Game, and the newer apps on Android and iOS.
By Kingpin
Reboot universe inspired, but the cast (like the mobile game) aren't based on McCarthy, Wiig, Jones or Mckinnon. We'll post the trailer here as soon as we've got a version that can be linked to via web forums.

Edit: The trailer's up at USAToday: Link

Edit Edit:

We have a brief synopsis, some release details and cover artwork:

The game, which takes place after the events of the new movie, features a new cast of male and female rookies who are called upon to keep New York City safe. Meanwhile, the characters from the movie-- who are now famous-- are away taking down high-profile poltergeists across the country.
USA TODAY can exclusively announce that Activision will release the four-player role-playing game on July 12 (to coincide with the Sony film's July 15 release) for Playstation 4, XBox One and Windows PC via Steam.
Source
By Doctor Venkman
Well, I'm still not keen on upgrading to a PS4, so it looks like I'll have to sit this one out.

But I think the plot of the game is somewhat interesting. It could mean nothing, or it could be a hint to the expanded universe where we get different movies with different directors and such.
By SpaceBallz
DarkSpectre wrote:The style almost blended both universes. It looked like one character was wearing a classic uniform but the equipment looked like feig's
To be fair the Wii version of the last GB game changed a lot of the equipment/looks to simplify it too. This is definitely reboot universe.
By SkyHighGam3r
Activision will release the four-player role-playing game

ROLE PLAYING game?

If this has turn-based battles I am going to be so pissed off.
By skankerzero
Doctor Venkman wrote:Well, I'm still not keen on upgrading to a PS4, so it looks like I'll have to sit this one out.

But I think the plot of the game is somewhat interesting. It could mean nothing, or it could be a hint to the expanded universe where we get different movies with different directors and such.
It says Xbox One, PS4, and Steam.

This looks like they leveraged the code from SoS. I could totally be wrong though as these types of games don't take long to develop with an experienced team.
Troy liked this
By Troy
Looks like, much like SoS was, a good way to spend a few minutes here or there and most likely with an online co-op aspect, a good excuse to hop online and chat with a few Ghostheads while going through the motions. Pretty much what I expected given the lead time the game probably had.
By pferreira1983
skankerzero wrote:
pferreira1983 wrote: You'd think since it's a movie tie-in that it would have a bigger budget than the 2009 game.
Sadly they're usually low budget and rush jobs.

Movie games usually don't start until principle shooting is completed. They never start before because all they do is copy what's being made for the film. Having them start before would be a waste of time and money for the publisher.
That's true now I think back. I believe there were some exceptions like Jurassic Park and Enter The Matrix but yeah for the most part small budgets. Did the 2009 game have a large budget would you say?
By skankerzero
pferreira1983 wrote:
skankerzero wrote: Sadly they're usually low budget and rush jobs.

Movie games usually don't start until principle shooting is completed. They never start before because all they do is copy what's being made for the film. Having them start before would be a waste of time and money for the publisher.
That's true now I think back. I believe there were some exceptions like Jurassic Park and Enter The Matrix but yeah for the most part small budgets. Did the 2009 game have a large budget would you say?
The 2009 game had a regular game budget. it's not really considered a movie tie in game since there was no movie it was directly tied to.
pferreira1983 liked this
By mrmichaelt
Saw this on Troy's feed, apparently there was a game tie-in before this one and the Slime City mobile game that was cancelled.
https://twitter.com/radmartigan/status/ ... 2006852608
Troy wrote:Looks like, much like SoS was, a good way to spend a few minutes here or there and most likely with an online co-op aspect, a good excuse to hop online and chat with a few Ghostheads while going through the motions. Pretty much what I expected given the lead time the game probably had.
The brief synopsis even seems to copy erm I mean "be inspired" by the Haunted America arc of the IDW comics.
skankerzero wrote:The 2009 game had a regular game budget. it's not really considered a movie tie in game since there was no movie it was directly tied to.
But was it one of the 25th anniversary anniversary tie-ins wasn't it? Though I don't know if that helped at all during production other than make you guys lay bricks to get it right.
By skankerzero
mrmichaelt wrote:But was it one of the 25th anniversary anniversary tie-ins wasn't it? Though I don't know if that helped at all during production other than make you guys lay bricks to get it right.
The 25th anniversary was a happy coincidence. Remember, the game was supposed to come out October 2008, but we got an extension by Atari.

The game came out the way it did because from Day 1 Activision said they wanted to make GB3. They were only willing to go through with the game if all the original talent signed on. On our end, we were mostly all GB fans who went out of our ways to make things as accurate as we possibly could.
Kingpin, SpaceBallz, mrmichaelt and 2 others liked this
By mrmichaelt
Ah yes, that's right. I now remember you telling the story about the extension on the CTS podcasts you were a guest on.

Back to the game, Count on some RPG elements.
"Ghostbusters, is a third-person action role-playing game positively charged for thrilling couch co-op with up to four players locally. As rookie Ghostbusters, players can level up their characters’ gear and abilities by tackling objectives, defeating ghastly creatures and discovering hidden collectibles in Manhattan’s most haunted haunts." In addition, each character will feature their own different play style and unique skillset.
So a step up from SoS, explains the $50 pre-order price tag.
Troy liked this
By JonXCTrack
I was under the impression that the Sierra/Vivendi was originally going to put out GB:TVG, but then Activision bought them up. Further complicating things, Activision was not interested in publishing the game, and it needed to find a buyer, and eventually Atari acquired the game. That ultimately led to the game being delayed from October '08 to June '09. Correct me if I am wrong about that. If that is the case, then why was Activision so preoccupied with the game being "GB3"?
skankerzero wrote:
mrmichaelt wrote:
The game came out the way it did because from Day 1 Activision said they wanted to make GB3.
Last edited by JonXCTrack on April 20th, 2016, 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By GhstbstrLMLIII
JonXCTrack wrote:I was under the impression that the Sierra/Vivendi was originally going to put out GB:TVG, but then Activision bought them up. Further complicating things, Activision was not interested in publishing the game, and it needed to find a buyer, and eventually Atari acquired the game. That ultimately allowed you to the game being delayed from October '08 to June '09. Correct me if I am wrong about that. If that is the case, then why was Activision so preoccupied with the game being "GB3"?
This is what I remember hearing back then too. Sierra (which had put out the Bourne Conspiracy game) was bought out by Activision. Then, Activision passed on the GB game because they didn't see it as something they could pimp out a "new" version of every year. So Atari (which was struggling) got it, and basically provided no support once the game was released (bugs not fixed, potential downloadable content - like the rooftop temple and river of slime multiplayer maps - cancelled and never released). Then Atari put out SoS, which I never finished.

Personally, I think the new game looks like garbage. The graphics aren't even close to the 2009 game - certainly nothing that would require next-gen capabilities. I didn't find SoS enjoyable, and this looks like a more expensive version of the same (only now following the reboot). I understand that tie-in games are rushed to meet the movie deadline and not as polished as other titles, but this is just sad. I would happily pay $50.00 for a remaster of GB:TVG on the XboxOne (think Gear of War: Ultimate Edition), but this is a pass.
By Slimered
I hope we at least get to see the Reboot cast in an opening cutscene. One of the issues I had with Sanctum of Slime was that it was a Ghostbusters game without the actual Ghostbusters (apart from in a terrible animated graphic novel idea).
By mrmichaelt
Slimered wrote:I hope we at least get to see the Reboot cast in an opening cutscene. One of the issues I had with Sanctum of Slime was that it was a Ghostbusters game without the actual Ghostbusters (apart from in a terrible animated graphic novel idea).
To be fair, the Ghostbusters appeared but only in cut scenes. It's not like you could play them in The Video Game either, but I suppose at least you were side to side with them in each level.
By Slimered
mrmichaelt wrote:
Slimered wrote:I hope we at least get to see the Reboot cast in an opening cutscene. One of the issues I had with Sanctum of Slime was that it was a Ghostbusters game without the actual Ghostbusters (apart from in a terrible animated graphic novel idea).
To be fair, the Ghostbusters appeared but only in cut scenes. It's not like you could play them in The Video Game either, but I suppose at least you were side to side with them in each level.
As I said, in a terrible animated graphic novel. Not really cut scenes.
By mrmichaelt
The June issue of Playstation Official magazine has a feature on the game and talk to project director Chris Tremmel. He confirmed:
*Game was in production for well over a year
*interactions with Reitman, Feig and Pascal
*Levels include a haunted hotel on a historic cruise ship, a sanatorium, and a cemetery with above-ground crypts and mausoleums.
*The game will feature drop in, drop out four-player couch co-op, with absolutely no online multiplayer.
*There will be 16 different upgrades for each character that can be purchased and each will have five stages to it. *Players can make the upgrade stronger, make an area effect larger, increase movement speed, increase a point bonus on the trap mini-game, or make the weapon overheat last longer.
*Throughout a level, every character maintains their own score. At the end of each there will be a scoring segment that adds up how many ghosts that have been eliminated, how many co-op assists achieved, how many hidden items were found, and so on. Characters then level up through that process, and every time a character levels up they're given a number of skill points that they can then use to spend on the skill tree to enhance their character
By Slimered
The mention of voiceovers makes me think the game might have proper cutscenes as opposed to a silly motion graphic novel.
By Slimered
Scuba Steve wrote:No online multiplayer whatsoever?
I don't really get the obsession with online multiplayer. Playing online can be fun but to me it doesn't compare to playing locally. I like to be able to see the fun reactions with people you know.
By Scuba Steve
Local multiplayer is great... but NO online multiplayer is a travesty. Sanctum of slime was garbage, but I enjoyed playing against members of this very website when it was released. I wasn't going to invite them halfway across the country to play in my living room.
By Slimered
Scuba Steve wrote:Local multiplayer is great... but NO online multiplayer is a travesty. Sanctum of slime was garbage, but I enjoyed playing against members of this very website when it was released. I wasn't going to invite them halfway across the country to play in my living room.
I'd invite them halfway across the country to play in my living room...but they'd have to pay for the flights themselves. And the accommodation. Oh, and I wouldn't put anything towards food and drink either. In fact, you'd have to buy your own living room because I wouldn't let you use mine.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]