For upcoming Ghostbusters events at conventions, theaters and more.
By moviemaker29
So I'm hoping to meet Ernie Hudson for the first time this weekend at Comicpalooza here in Houston and was wondering if anyone has any good tips or take-aways from meeting him?

I have a couple of items I'd like him to sign and am not sure what the policy is on this... If you pay the autograph fee, will he sign anything you bring or will he only sign 8x10s that he provides at his booth?

I've also read a number of accounts from folks on here that they've had the chance to visit with him a little while at many of the cons. Anyone have any good advice on opportunities to chat with him a little while? I'm hoping that there isn't always a consistent line of people at his booth so chatting with him might be a possibility...

Thanks in advance for the help guys!
By Sutton621
When I met him it was he would sign anything for the designated price (people brought in all kinds of obscure crap, like Psych season 2 on DVD because he had a cameo). He's an alright guy, he tells it like it is. At a Q& A he was essentially telling everyone GB was "just a job" and "I did it because i got paid" and when the kids would ask him about slime or marshmallow he would be like "It wasn't real, its shaving cream and syrup." It was actually pretty funny because you could see the kids imaginations shatter before their eyes (sure we as adults know it isn't real, but cut the kids some slack). Any who, he does seem appreciative of his fans and respects the time we put in to props. As for talking to him, we waited until the lines died down and he was just hanging out. I didn't stay long to talk just because I felt like I was wasting his time (even though he is being paid to be there). So I kept the conversation short and sweet, essentially thanking him for my childhood and such. But on the whole he's a very cool/ approachable guy (just don't laugh at his fanny pack).
By moviemaker29
Thanks very much Sutton! I appreciate the info and that helps clarify what I was wondering about. I'm glad to hear that paying the fee allows you to get just about anything signed and that it's not just limited to photos.

He sounds like a very down to earth kinda guy. Looking forward to meeting him.
By Chace
I've met him twice and both times he was signing one item for anyone in full GB gear for free. I got a trap signed and he signed my Ecto.

But those were at smaller cons, not sure how big of an event yours is.

In fact that evening the Georgia Ghostbusters, and Alabama Ghostbusters invited him to dinner with us, he not only went but bought dinner for one of our members who was using the con as his bachelor party.

So yeah, he's a good dude and really cool to the fans.
By moviemaker29
Wow, okay that is too awesome, Chace! I had no doubt that he was a cool guy from reading all of the various threads about people meeting him, but for him to go out of his way to go to dinner with you guys...well, that's just really incredible! I imagine that was an unforgettable experience!

This will be the first time I've been to the convention here since I think it's just starting to catch on this year, so I'm hoping that it won't be too crowded. I've been waiting for Ernie to come to a Houston event for quite a while and I'm glad it's finally happening.

Thanks for sharing that story!
By bpontheair
I'm behind the waitress! :D

We had tried to get Ernie to Dragon*Con earlier in the year, and they wouldn't bring him. He was supposed to join us for the PKE Surge dinner at D*C, so I asked him if he'd go out to eat with us at ATL Comic Con. You see the result in Chace's photo.

Ernie is pure class. He even sent signed stuff for our Tornado Relief Auction last summer. You'll enjoy just being around him. :cool:
By Borzou
I would refrain from humping his leg unless he offers. And even then, only the right leg out of respect.
By WolfShark
take a deep breath he acts like an average joe. He is a really good Guy. Also refrain from doing the following that me friends did " It is such a pleasure to meet you an....OHMYGOD." Thankfully he laughed just as hard as we did.
This reply is 4 years late, but what is a typical item-signing fee? I am hoping to meet him at Tidewater Comic Con in Virgina Beach this month, but the website mentions nothing about extra fees. I don't want to be surprised.
darthsmozers wrote:Wow this is getting expensive.... So basically you get in his line and nothing is free, you have to pay something for something, yes?
That's the business of cons at this point, at least in my experience. Paying the ticket only gets you in the door. Anything beyond that is more money.

I think I may have even paid $40 for his autograph back a few years ago at Niagara Falls Comic Con.
By TK5759
Doctor Venkman wrote:
darthsmozers wrote:Wow this is getting expensive.... So basically you get in his line and nothing is free, you have to pay something for something, yes?
That's the business of cons at this point, at least in my experience. Paying the ticket only gets you in the door. Anything beyond that is more money.

I think I may have even paid $40 for his autograph back a few years ago at Niagara Falls Comic Con.
I agree, I've been to quite a few cons and I've met celebrities and authors. Most of them have charged something for an autograph. The only exception I've seen was Kevin J. Anderson and that's because we were his honor guard that day (501st).
Doctor Venkman wrote: The only exception I've seen was Kevin J. Anderson and that's because we were his honor guard that day (501st).
Another exception is Charles Martinet, the voice of Mario; we had him at our convention a few years ago, and aside from being a generally wonderful human being, he actually brought materials (head shots, posters, CDs, etc.) to sign and give out for free at his table.
By pyhasanon
Doug Jones is quite possibly one of the most wonderful people I have ever met... Hugs for everybody! He even stays behind to help clean and breakdown the setups...
CSE productions liked this
darthsmozers wrote:Unsure if going or not now. Want to meet him, want a photo with him, don't want to pay a huge sum to do so. Hmmmm.
Ernie has never been on the super-expensive end. When we met him at Dragon Con a couple years ago, his autograph fee was only $30. Granted, his fee has varied a bit based on the venue, but it's never been unreasonable.
By darthsmozers
Demon Vice Commander wrote:
darthsmozers wrote:Unsure if going or not now. Want to meet him, want a photo with him, don't want to pay a huge sum to do so. Hmmmm.
Ernie has never been on the super-expensive end. When we met him at Dragon Con a couple years ago, his autograph fee was only $30. Granted, his fee has varied a bit based on the venue, but it's never been unreasonable.
I heard at some recent appearances an 8x10 photo was $40 and to sign a personal item was $60.
Just part of the business. They're not there just to meet fans in most cases. It's a source of income.

I mean, it's basically your only way of meeting him, most likely. So you have to ask yourself if it's worth it. In 5, 10, 20 years, what will you wish you had more... an autograph and a picture with Ernie Hudson... or $50?
TK5759 liked this
By TK5759
Doctor Venkman wrote:Just part of the business. They're not there just to meet fans in most cases. It's a source of income.

I mean, it's basically your only way of meeting him, most likely. So you have to ask yourself if it's worth it. In 5, 10, 20 years, what will you wish you had more... an autograph and a picture with Ernie Hudson... or $50?
This is a great way of looking at it and parallels my own thoughts. I drove over 250 miles one way just to see him and blew a lot of cash on the autographs and photos, but it's something I'll always remember and cherish and ultimately, I'm glad I did it.
It was the day I met a real Ghostbuster. :)

Throw caution to the wind and get out there and make a memory! :cool:
I just hope I can get my wife + kids in a photo with him without having to pay in full per person. Kids are only 1 and 3 yrs...
Don't mean to sound selfish...just hoping it remains somewhat economical.
By pyhasanon
They usually allow it... Most photo ops are for a max of two people, and normally allow for kids in addition... I have two small kids, and in my past two years of numerous Cons, never have I been charged extra for my two kids and wife, even for really big stars...

Radical Gordon liked this
Well, we met him! We got to the con before it opened - it was a rainy morning so most of the crowd showed up an hour or so later. When the doors opened, we went right to his table. He had not arrived yet, so I spent a moment looking at the 8x10's to choose from. I chatted with his son Ernie Jr. for a few mins. He then showed up. I stood back to allow them all time to get set up, but they encouraged me to approach him. I felt like he was inadvertently rushed/not ready yet, but he was gracious in his conversation, even if a little distracted. He autographed the 8x10 ($40) and took a photo with my family and I ($10 add on price). He was then distracted by someone at the table asking him some logistical questions. I waited a moment then offered a handshake and a thank you for his time. He thanked us, said "beautiful family", and that was that. Happy to have met him, glad my kids will grow up having his autograph and our photo, a little disappointed that I was first in line and thus the meeting felt a bit distracted, but overall worth the trip.

(I don't know how to attach an image - if I can figure it out I'll post pics)

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]