Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
By Lee FW
For anyone who's been recently you'll know that Hook and Ladder 8 is currently undergoing extensive renovation and sadly covered in scaffold (Luckily I missed it by a few days on my last visit and saw it in all its awesome glory...think I would've cried otherwise in a scene reminiscent of the ending of Planet of the Apes!)

Anyhooo, just found this article that sheds a little light on what the plan is.

http://www1.nyc.gov/site/ddc/about/pres ... sters.page

Glad to hear externally they're taking care to make sure it remains the icon we know which is reassuring as was a little worried when a friend in New York said they're pulling it down!

Timescale wise I have no idea on how things work in NYC so not sure if that completed by next year thing is a guestimate or a promise (I'm going very loose guideline if it's anything like London!) but if any one has any updates on its progress along the way I'd love to hear and i'm sure it'd help us all plan our next pilgrimages.
Sav C, Doctor Disney liked this
By Doctor Disney
If they are doing any major renovations then it will take some time. I'm going up at the end of the year and I'm concerned that it still may be covered up then.
Looks like they are doing a very thorough and complete renovation though which is awesome!
Long live Station #8!
Creativeguy liked this
By Herring14
I went in December and the work had just started. I am from the UK so I was a little gutted that I couldn't peek inside. They were doing asbestos works then but clearly there's a lot more going on.

I'm going back to NY in September and had hoped to look inside then but it appears I may have to visit a third time..... Oh well :-)
Doctor Disney liked this
By Ivo Shandor
I went last August and currently planning another trip in May 2017. Hopefully the Rose Room will be open in the NY Public Library by then.

Last August I got off the subway in Chinatown just to walk to Tribeca and see the firehouse in all its glory. No scaffolding then but when walking down Varick St. all I could see is that monstrosity they are building behind it. Is that thing finished yet? Looks like it was about 8o stories, looming over the firehouse. You could catch a glimpse of it in ATC when they first see the old GB HQ.
By Scum
Ivo Shandor wrote:I went last August and currently planning another trip in May 2017. Hopefully the Rose Room will be open in the NY Public Library by then.

Last August I got off the subway in Chinatown just to walk to Tribeca and see the firehouse in all its glory. No scaffolding then but when walking down Varick St. all I could see is that monstrosity they are building behind it. Is that thing finished yet? Looks like it was about 8o stories, looming over the firehouse. You could catch a glimpse of it in ATC when they first see the old GB HQ.
No, that monster of a building is still under construction, at least last I saw.

I'll be back working in the city probably later on this week. I'm gonna try to convince the guys to drive past the firehouse so I can snap some pictures for you guys. Sucks, I'm working at the old Time Life / Rockefeller building off of broadway (5th and 51st) so its kind of out of the way to drive past the firehouse.

It was great when we were working at Tisch Hall at NYU, we would drive past HL8 every damn day. My co-workers would wake me up every morning when we would drive past it on the way in and every afternoon when we would drive past it on the way home. Yeah, I never drove and always slept lol. Gotta love construction!
Doctor Disney liked this
By steve5424
I am finally going to be visiting NYC for the first time ever and will be visiting a few of the filming locations and especially hope the renovations will be finished when I go in March next yet. St Patrick's Day in NYC should be magic!
Scum, Doctor Disney liked this
By Scum
steve5424 wrote:I am finally going to be visiting NYC for the first time ever and will be visiting a few of the filming locations and especially hope the renovations will be finished when I go in March next yet. St Patrick's Day in NYC should be magic!
Try to make it to Madison Square Garden for a Rangers game! Make sure to bring about $1,000 dollars if you want a beer and a hot dog, though! :walterpeck:

Enjoy!
steve5424 liked this
By Ivo Shandor
Scum wrote:
steve5424 wrote:I am finally going to be visiting NYC for the first time ever and will be visiting a few of the filming locations and especially hope the renovations will be finished when I go in March next yet. St Patrick's Day in NYC should be magic!
Try to make it to Madison Square Garden for a Rangers game! Make sure to bring about $1,000 dollars if you want a beer and a hot dog, though! :walterpeck:

Enjoy!
You will have a blast, Steve.

And Scum...everything in NY is expensive, especially in midtown.
Scum liked this
By Ivo Shandor
steve5424 wrote: We are staying in Midtown at the Ameritania.
I stayed at the Wellington. Both are good hotels in walking distance to a ton of GB related sites.

btw here is a pic I took of the firehouse and the glass monstrosity behind it.

Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Ivo Shandor wrote:btw here is a pic I took of the firehouse and the glass monstrosity behind it.
They should've tinted the glass purple, that way it would look kind of like the ghosts escaping ;)
Ivo Shandor liked this
By Lee FW
I always prefer the approach from W Broadway rather than Varick, turning the corner onto N Moore street and seeing it for the first time it just hits you better rather than walking up Varick and it just being there sat on a corner of a main street in the distance (if that makes any sense!?) Also you largely miss that giant glass building that way too.
Ivo Shandor, steve5424 liked this
By Ivo Shandor
Lee FW wrote:I always prefer the approach from W Broadway rather than Varick, turning the corner onto N Moore street and seeing it for the first time it just hits you better rather than walking up Varick and it just being there sat on a corner of a main street in the distance (if that makes any sense!?) Also you largely miss that giant glass building that way too.
Good point. I went the way I did just because I wanted to walk through Chinatown. :)
By Lee FW
steve5424 wrote:Is the firestation still covered up? Off to NYC on Thursday for 4 days.
Jealous muchly! Can't wait to get back to NYC

As far as I can figure it's still covered, a quick search of instagram has a few pics from last week :(

I'll see what I can dig up planning wise
By JurorNo.2
Braz wrote:Does anyone have any updates on the renovation? I'm taking my kid to NY in June/July. I hope it's done by then.
I was just down there, a construction worker guy said the renovation would be finished next year. But it's still fun to see it the front entrance, and there's Ghostbusters related drawings on the sidewalk, it's very cool.
pferreira1983 liked this

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]