By OCP_Model-001
Hi all. Since my aluminium pack is more or less finished apart from lighting, it's time for fresh challenge! Seems right to have a decent trap to go along with it so i have made a start this week, gathered a few measurements, and cut some material.

6mm plates, cut to size.

Main shell..

Welded up..

It was hard to keep everything square, but she came out of the welding bay looking good..
Ground the welds down on the bottom and back panel.
There are some slight low spots which i will fill in later with something, they wont really be seen anyway..

Got the bottom plates sorted, no milling machine as it was busy so had to do the wheel slots by hand. The ali plate slots took a decent bit of work to finish , so i went with 4mm plastic for the spacer to make life a little easier ;)

How it all looks at the moment..

I have the trap pedal plate worked out too, but i only had 8mm plate to use, it might be ok, will see futher down the line.

I dont know if this is 100% the right dimensions, but as long as it looks right im happy enough.
Hopefully start work on the cartridge insert this week, more to come.

Comments welcome as always :D
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on July 27th, 2017, 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
robandliv, barison82, Ryusui liked this
By Naptime
Absolutely amazing. You are a master artist! Always love watching your aluminum builds - the fabricating, the welding and the finishing - so fascinating!
By OCP_Model-001
Thanks buddy ;) the fabrication is all me, but the welding I leave to a friend, I don't have any real training in that area as yet. I try and get the parts to a decent standard so it's easy for him to join them together. I love the finishing too, grinding the welds and cleaning up the edges. There are a few parts that will need a good bit of bending sheet metal etc, so I'm looking forward to that ;)
By OCP_Model-001
Ok, small update with today's progress. Battery box fab'ed up and welded. Keeping the nice bead around the bottom lip :)

Gotta love insulating tape :D

The bottom plate for the rail system is just sitting in the tray loose. I may cut a slot out of the battery box lid, and extend the handle to the bottom of the chassis, for strength, i will see in time, i know the originals had a short handle post to leave room for the pin connector, but then i'm not one for screen accuracy, i prefer to stick to the original design and use my own preferred bolts etc..

There is alot more detail to this than meets the eye, but im enjoying building something on a smaller scale.
More soon :)
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on July 27th, 2017, 8:18 am, edited 6 times in total.
ccv66, barison82 liked this
By OCP_Model-001
Dam, a lot of hate going on ;) Thank you VS, very kind. Having the tools to build these things is 90% of the job in many ways, also having access to the material needed off the shelf is also very helpful :D The rest, I just make it up as I go along tbh :walterpeck:
By Naptime
OCP_Model-001 wrote:Dam, a lot of hate going on ;) Thank you VS, very kind. Having the tools to build these things is 90% of the job in many ways, also having access to the material needed off the shelf is also very helpful :D The rest, I just make it up as I go along tbh :walterpeck:
You are too modest! Your work is superb, and a pleasure to see. Yes, you may have the tools and the materials at hand but it's what you do with them that really sets you apart as an artisan. Bravo.

ps -Allow me to add my name to the ever growing list of hatred! ;)
OCP_Model-001 liked this
By OCP_Model-001
Im risking more hatred here, but i thought the risk was worth it, and here's today's progress ;)

Spent quite a while on/off this week on the rail system for the cartridge insert. Made up by a few small plates, this piece was tricky to get right, and im happy with how it turned out. I used 2mm plate as thats the thinnest i have, i may have to shorten the cartridge height if this makes it sit too high, will have to see in time.

Screwed this in to the trap body and it looks good to me. I have not stuck with the original hero traps for screws and or placement, i favour m4 counter sink high tensile screws for jobs like this, looks better to my eye than old slotted screws..
Since the m4's are 20mm long, i cut them down on the back side and ground off the rest flush with the bottom so she sits nice and flat in the trap body.

The center rail will go on the bottom of the cartridge when i get it made up.

Just to finish up today, i got the lid drilled and attached, again used slightly different placement for the screws.

Thats it for this week, more soon hopefully ;)
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on July 27th, 2017, 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
barison82, Kingpin liked this
By Naptime
Sweet merciful crap, that's beautiful work. I hate you with the fury of a thousand suns. [emoji6]

More please!
OCP_Model-001 liked this
By barison82
Absolutely amazing stuff...yet even more aluminium goodness :) Subscribed.
OCP_Model-001 liked this
By OCP_Model-001
Hi all, cant believe it's nearly a month since I have updated! Been busy etc, and had a few issues with the design of this thing. I didn't realise that the original traps were screwed together, and since I welded my main chassis, it has made things a little bit more complicated to say the least, as it's not as easy to modify things now. Anyway, I have a few pics of progress made..

I have made a good start on the cartridge, I kept the main bends simple, and just went for a box as that was easier to do on the press brake.

Had a go at making the 15 pin connection..

This was a lot of work to get right, even though it doesn't look like it ;)

Last week I started to build the front display, bent out of a single piece of 2mm sheet..

Took ages trying to map this out in 2d, and making sure it had a decent chance of fitting properly.
Result.. hand bent in a vice, i'm happy enough with it.

Will need to get the sides welded up, and see how it looks then.

That's all for now, hope you enjoy the update ;)
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on July 28th, 2017, 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
By barison82
Awesome update...your metalwork is top-notch, so professional looking! Very inspiring; when I get started on mine it will be the first time that I'll be working with metal and I have a lot to learn. Thanks for these references - they are very encouraging :wink:
OCP_Model-001 liked this
By OCP_Model-001
Thanks man, hopefully all this will come in useful when you start your own. I know I don't document the steps very well, I find it hard to stop for photos when I'm working on these things ;)
barison82 liked this
By barison82
OCP_Model-001 wrote:Thanks man, hopefully all this will come in useful when you start your own. I know I don't document the steps very well, I find it hard to stop for photos when I'm working on these things ;)
You're welcome dude. It really will be very useful, plenty of ideas there. Yeah it would be way to awkward to document every single stage, it's tricky work to say the least - but the overall method is there, and that is a big help :)
OCP_Model-001 liked this
By CPU64
I was wondering if you have any measurements you're following. I started my trap with a few side plated francheski gave me an found out they're for gb2 traps. What's the height of your cartridge box from top bend to bottom edge?

Also, I don't know if you thought about it, but I would've used the six screws to mount the track to the bottom instead of cutting them flush and only using the three in the middle, to avoid flexing. :)
By OCP_Model-001
Hi, yes I could have done that, and maybe still will if the rail flexes too much ;) I never could find plans to help me with the gb1 trap, so I have eye balled a few measurements for the front box, and used cad from some 3d printed files that are around. I will measure the box tomorrow, forget the measurements ;) Few more pics to share tonight, I have had this update for a while, just not had time to get on here and update things.

Got the front box welded up..

Then with the edges ground away and filed up..

Turned out ok! I will have to work out how to attach it now but will save that for when I have the cartridge box welded up, soon hopefully.

Some more misc pics. The battery box is held on with 2 nuts and 2 bolts on the base, so I can easily remove it when needed.

The rail is fixed to the bottom of the box now, and it moves nicely..

Will cut the bolts down and cover the nuts with plastic caps.

Last week spent a while trying to get the front box 'ears' sorted out, tried a few plans but they didn't look right, so I went and drew up my own trying to match the gb1 traps, not sure I have it really but they might do..

These 2 babies are not cnc'd or milled, but cut and finished by hand. Cut from a billet with a band saw, ground using my trusty disc grinder with sanding disc, filed with a no.3 file, & then a honing stone to give me a lovely flat finish and sharp edge. Happy with how they turned out, a lot of elbow work went into those two! :whatever:

This week have a few things to get sorted, maybe get the cartridge sides and top frame in place, will see.

Until next time lads ;)
Last edited by OCP_Model-001 on July 28th, 2017, 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
By barison82
Beautiful...such skilled work, well done! A continuous inspiration. I'm catching the metalwork bug more and more, I have so much to learn. Look forward to further progress :)
OCP_Model-001 liked this
By OCP_Model-001
Thanks buddy, this project wont be 100% accurate in terms of measurements etc due to no real set of plans (that I have found anyway) so will see how it goes. CPU, my cartridge from bottom bend to top (side) is 68mm high or 2.67 inches for you. ;) Who knows if that's near the original, but as the original box sits up higher than the side plate, this looks near enough to me..
By barison82
No worries, you're welcome. Whether it's 100% accurate or not, it's still a mighty fine piece of work which I would be proud of :cool:
OCP_Model-001 liked this
Proton Props UK

The pack is built - it looks and sounds grea[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]