Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
timeware wrote:
SpaceBallz wrote:lmfao...

If another half dozen of these articles pop up Is it to early to say "there they go again?"
What's annoying is I've been making a lot of these points for ages and now all of a sudden the press acts like they came up with it, lol.
Comparing Trump to Ghostbusters is really grasping at straws and stirs up unnecessary controversy. If you were going to look for similarities, it would be both weren't really about women. ATC back lash was more about men being excluded then having female ghostbusters. There wasn't an uproar when kylie griffin did it 20 years ealier. Hillary didnt loose because she's a woman, she lost because she's a terrible candidate and Trump is so bad that despite Clinton being under criminal investigation, she still had a shot to win. The article does point out people getting painted with a broad brush forced into categories. only a minority were extremely passionate about their canidate or left misogynist comments. The problem is being lumped in with the few. " If you didn't like the new ghostbusters your sexist and if you voted for Trump your racist." In reality there were legitimate reasons not to like the movie and abundance of people voted for the candidate they hated the least. If you voted for Hillary because you thought she was the best candidate America had to offer, I think your a fool. If you voted for Her, because you hate Trump, I understand that.. But to believe Trump won because of a wave of racist and sexist people is absurd. If Michelle Obama ran, a black women, there's no way she doesn't win hands down. President elect was the person who could self destruct the least
You know, I'm wondering. Where did this if you hate the movie you are a mysoginist originate from? I know it's not Feig, as he explained a few times there are legitimate reasons one can dislike the idea of a reboot. He did say he encountered mysoginists, but made it clear he gets that a bigger group was against it for other reasons.

Is it just the small extremer sides only focusing on each other by calling each other mysoginists or extreme feminists while the regular people against reboot are told the choice is like it or you are a mysoginist to advertise a certain prejudice against the movie?
Maybe sexist isnt narrow enough . i have to imagine there were as many mysoginist comments about new star movies, considering how big and passionate the fan base is, but i hardly hear about it. Maybe Disney felt they could sale tickets without a gimmick
ccv66 wrote:There wasn't an uproar when kylie griffin did it 20 years ealier.
We didn't have YouTube MRAs 20 years earlier either. And no way Trump would have ever been a candidate, let alone President. Nothing was normal about this election, nor the bizarre crusade against a movie.

We've all gone over this, again and again. None of us are going to change our minds.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
There was alot of prejudice against the movie, for various reasons alot of them being unjust. But the sexiest comments were the only ones that were focoused on. If less than 1% of people that viewed the trailer left nasty misogynist comments why do sjw's treat it like an epidimic. The misogyny angle is rubbish in ghostbusters. Im sure most gb fans are pro female ghostbusters. I believe kylie is still popular in gb comics. Its not about women but the exclusion of men the lack of a male heavy fan base to identify with the movie. If the new star wars got the nasty feed back why didnt we hear about it, because disney is a far superior study than sony and didnt need to manufacturer controversy. We've been over this? Why would someone bring trump into ghostbusters when the two aren't related?
SpaceBallz liked this
Why would someone bring trump into ghostbusters when the two aren't related?
Simple. They are looking for a scapegoat. It's easy for the extreme feminist groups to blame men for the poor success of 2016. From their view point Trump represents all men, so there fore all men are created evil. The same goes for women who don't agree with them. They are also looking for any excuse to not admit that Hillary was a flawed candidate.
HunterCC liked this
Word on the street is that Tom Rothman is skating on thin ice over at Sony. Michael Lynton recently got the boot and one of the potential names at replacing him is Jim Gianopolis(who was responsible for moving Rothman out over at Fox). Sony needs a top to bottom make over. They've managed to screw up their most valuable IP: Spiderman, MiB and Ghostbusters. In the right hands each of those titles should be what's called a "gimmie". Easy money. It's a good sign that they've partnered up with Marvel for Spiderman but here's the rub: Marvel pretty much controls the process. Sony funds the movie and reaps the profits while Marvel does the leg work. How incompetent does that make Sony seem? Yikes. It's a smart move but a tricky one. If it works and the movies a success who gets the credit? Marvel for putting Spiderman back on track or Sony for taking their hands off the wheel and letting someone else drive? It doesn't give me much confidence that they can run any franchise properly. Sure GB2016 has its supporters and fans, but so did the "Amazing Spiderman" movies. A Ghostbusters reboot(male or female) was never going to get by on being just "good" or even "pretty good". It needed to be "great" so all the people and fans, like me, that whined about not having a GB3 could forget about that and live with the new film. I'm talking 90% or over on RT. A GB reboot where there were cracks in the armour, no matter how small, was always going to fail. Granted that's easy to say knowing that the reboot did indeed fail(from a financial standpoint at least, if not with audiences in general). It needed to be damn near perfect to justify to existence to the world. And again I know the movie has it's fans. Yet even most of those fans admit there are some minor to major issues with the film. The reactions to GB2016 tend to be either "I hated it" or "I liked it". You don't see many "I LOVED it". That's what GB2016 needed, the latter, and lots of it. I guess this is just one more "woulda, coulda, shoulda" post about this divisive film. Hindsight is 20/20
Peter33vr, HunterCC liked this
ccv66 wrote:There was alot of prejudice against the movie, for various reasons alot of them being unjust. But the sexiest comments were the only ones that were focoused on. If less than 1% of people that viewed the trailer left nasty misogynist comments why do sjw's treat it like an epidimic. The misogyny angle is rubbish in ghostbusters. Im sure most gb fans are pro female ghostbusters. I believe kylie is still popular in gb comics. Its not about women but the exclusion of men the lack of a male heavy fan base to identify with the movie. If the new star wars got the nasty feed back why didnt we hear about it, because disney is a far superior study than sony and didnt need to manufacturer controversy. We've been over this? Why would someone bring trump into ghostbusters when the two aren't related?
I'm not a man, yet I have never had any problem identifying with male characters. If some men are incapable of identifying with female characters, that is entirely their own problem.

And this paranoia that white men are being excluded is exactly the rhetoric Trump fed in to. The Dems were always being accused of ignoring white men for identity politics.

Of course there's a connection. Our society doesn't operate in a vaccum. Trends pop up and influence all aspects of our lives.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on January 20th, 2017, 6:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
I agree a GREAT and LOVED IT for the whole movie for most fans, and not just part(s of the movie), would have been the best.
Comparing the Amazing Spiderman fans with GB:ATC fans seem a bit harsh though as the especially the second movie has overal bad reviews and was generally disliked by audiences and critics when GB:ATC was not.
For the rest of your rant I actually agree. I just hope GhostCorps gets left intact while the big brass from Japan set things right after that nasty, nasty hack.
And why are we giving them a soapbox to stand on by paying attention to it?
It documents people using a controversy to enrich themselves at the expense of others. who knows maybe the talk will actually be fair minded once the transcript or video is released. I have my doubts.

In regards to the Amazing Spider-Man I liked the films up until venom. Topher Grace, really? Was Triple H unavailable for the role? What's funny though is Comic Book Movie still cant get over the fact that Kirsten dunst was chosen to play Mary Jane. Honestly I felt she was the perfect fit.
ccv66 liked this
Not identifying with a movie isn't my problem, it's Sonys. Its disappointing they didnt make a better movie ( male or female cast) but i voted with my money. . Trump didn't woo America. Trump or Hillary wasn't 70-80% of americans first choice to President. People voted for who was left. Trump cant keep his foot out of his mouth and is entering the office with record low approval ratings . He handed the presidency to Democrats on a silver platter and they figured out how to screw it up. But people are focusing on wrong issues. Rogue one had a female lead and it did great. Probably because it was a better movie and funnier too. Rogue One is funnier than ATC.
pferreira1983, HunterCC liked this
ccv66 wrote:Rogue one had a female lead and it did great. Probably because it was a better movie and funnier too. Rogue One is funnier than ATC.
Ehhhh, I really wish I could agree. But there were virtually no character moments in Rogue One. I suspect they were left on the cutting room floor so there's a reason to buy the Blu Ray. But the theatrical version is all exposition dialogue, all action scenes, and I just couldn't get invested. Yeah there's a couple of manufactured Marvel-esque quips, but that's not enough to build a character. There was literally one moment that was exciting to me and it was seeing the rebel fighters trying to get the message through the door before it closed. Somehow those few seconds of suspense had more emotional punch than the entire movie combined. It is partially nostalgia of course and I'm wondering how much longer Disney can milk that cow. Everyone here knows I wasn't happy with Force Awakens...Rogue One has now made me appreciate it more! Lol. In any case, Star Wars is the franchise too big to fail. It will always do great, regardless of content. It's all about hype. Audiences loved Suicide Squad's trailer and therefore made up their minds to love the movie, no matter what the final results. Same thing with ATC, audiences made up their minds to hate it. Audiences are human beings, prone to emotion and bias. Popularity is not evidence of quality. Unpopularity is not evidence of inferiority.
Last edited by JurorNo.2 on January 20th, 2017, 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think rogue One was written the way it was so fans wouldn't attach themselves to the characters. I'd much rather see a trilogy focusing on what Yoda did as his 400 years a jedi. It would be a whole new old universe to explore with plenty of merchandising options. Why Boba, and Han are getting their movies first doesn't make sense.
timeware wrote:In regards to the Amazing Spider-Man I liked the films up until venom.
Are you intentionally forgetting the newer Spiderman movies or was it a mistake? ;-)
ccv66 wrote: Rogue One is funnier than ATC.
I don't think these kind of claims hold much merit in the long run. While I liked Rogue One about as much as GB:ATC, though I belive I ranked GBATC a little bit higher, I laughed out loud multiple times while watching the GBettes trying to bust some ghosts and I think I laughed once in Star Wars when the robot asked if she was sure the other robot was not him. Comedy is a very personal thing.
JurorNo.2 liked this
Alphagaia wrote:I agree a GREAT and LOVED IT for the whole movie for most fans, and not just part(s of the movie), would have been the best.
Comparing the Amazing Spiderman fans with GB:ATC fans seem a bit harsh though as the especially the second movie has overal bad reviews and was generally disliked by audiences and critics when GB:ATC was not.
For the rest of your rant I actually agree. I just hope GhostCorps gets left intact while the big brass from Japan set things right after that nasty, nasty hack.
The first Amazing Spiderman movie was about as well recieved as GB2016 and both movies have fans despite an outpouring of the original movie defenders. That's what I meant. The Amazing Spiderman movies weren't well recieved by the fans of the Raimi films or some comic book fans. People wanting a darker Spiderman seemed to enjoy it. Personally I found the first one to be alright. Really enjoyed the chemistry between Garfield and Stone. The less said about the second one the better. I didn't mean the comparison as an insult. Just as a "this divisive reboot also has it's fanbase"
Alphagaia liked this
JurorNo.2 wrote:
timeware wrote:https://www.barrietoday.com/local-news/ ... win-512918

Next they'll be blaming aliens for Trump's election.
This is what passes for journalism these days.Yes Virginia, Hillary lost because of Ghostbusters 2016.
I will say, a LOT of the detractors seemed to be paranoid MRAs, convinced that feminism was taking over the world and the mere mention of women or minorities was automatically "political correctness run amok." And its no secret that they congregate on YouTube. And many of them were indeed looking to Trump as their savior. Aykroyd did hint at this, but these bitter "fans" would rather listen to Milo it seems, heh.
It's funny how quickly you're able to dismiss people. 90% of the people I know and talk to over a large span of forums, social media, and yes YouTube said that the movie looked horrible from the start. Secondly the majority of the people who did see it agreed that it was poorly done. Add the false narrative of the EXTREME LIBERAL LEFT who claims that everything is inherently sexist or racist in some way and it was a shit stew ready to eat.

I'm gonna call you out right now for being a hypocrite - if you want to prove me wrong tell me HOW the film was any good? Because you liked it? That point can't be reviewed and agreed on.
Alphagaia wrote:
timeware wrote:In regards to the Amazing Spider-Man I liked the films up until venom.
Are you intentionally forgetting the newer Spiderman movies or was it a mistake? ;-)
ccv66 wrote: Rogue One is funnier than ATC.
I don't think these kind of claims hold much merit in the long run. While I liked Rogue One about as much as GB:ATC, though I belive I ranked GBATC a little bit higher, I laughed out loud multiple times while watching the GBettes trying to bust some ghosts and I think I laughed once in Star Wars when the robot asked if she was sure the other robot was not him. Comedy is a very personal thing.
In ATC, there was only one bust made, maybe 2 if you consider the all too convient "blow up the car" moment. The entire film slapped audiences in the face and was cringeworthy - like the litteral RAPING OF STAYPUFT BY A KNIFE.
I never said they succeeded to bust ghosts, but they certainly tried! Even in the original the GB walk away without a single ghost caught, and they blew up Puft.

Though in ATC the portal was turned into a giant ghosttrap, so they did manage to return all the ghosts caught in it's radius, which turned out to be a lot, but eh semantics.

I had a good time watching the movie, it's OK if you did not.

Lol @ the GB raping the destructor though: Puft was on top! ;-)
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 21st, 2017, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Well, they built an Ecto container at the end so they are planning on catching a lot more, and the old GB needed one earlier, and it blew up, but why does it have to be a pissing contest?

The story in ATC did not need to have a montage as they have to be secret and they still encounter (and tackle) a lot of different ghosts. I think the complaint probably stems from them disabling most of the ghosts instead of capturing them, as they had no time to catch them during the bigger battles since every second the portal stayed open more ghosts would pour in anyway.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]