Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By timeware
With Dan expressing interest in a Netflix series maybe we'll get something like NCIS. State based shows with different groups. If they were smart they could make a series spreading across all age ranges. Heck maybe BBC could land a contract and we could have Ghostbusters London. Potential for a Dr. Who crossover right there!
Alphagaia, Sav C, SpaceBallz liked this
By Lee FW
God NOOOOO Dr Who crossover please! However Peter Capaldi would make an excellent choice for a new buster and I could definitely get behind a London based franchise playing up on our rich history of hauntings!
By StayPuft1985
Well, I'd suggest bringing in Kylie Griffin and the rest of the cast of Extreme Ghostbusters, and then build on their world as a team. This being the current year and all, there's no shortage of ways you could go about them as characters. I mean, especially if you consider how beautifully Stranger Things was handled as an "80s" show. I think that updating the dress and slang for the modern era would be pretty fun, if a bit corny, but if you get the right directors, producers, actors and so forth, there's no shortage of things you could do with this.
Why simply make one movie when you could do a 12 episode miniseries for a season via Netflix, one hour each? If only Harold hadn't passed, this series would have been great for TV these days.
By DarkSpectre
If Ash vs Evil Dead has taught me anything, it's that you can indeed to a canonical television continuation with your leads older and work. But it all comes down to freedom and passion for the property. Listening to the Duffer Bros on Beyond Stranger Things discuss their love for GB, it pains me to think how good a GB reboot could've been with helmers that respect and love the property. Ivan, Dan and Ghost Corps should explore what Netflix could offer them. Hell if Bruce Campbell can return to fine form as an older out of shape Ash Williams then Dan, Ernie and (pipe dream) even Murray could don the suits and the packs again along side a few younger recruits or hell, bring in McKinnon and Jones and make a series with that
deadderek liked this
By timeware
I'm anxiously waiting the return of Ash Vs. Evil Dead. My only complaint is they mention his time in the middle ages briefly so i'm crossing my fingers Shiela will make an appearance.

I don't see Bill returning in any capacity. Dan may, but Ernie might just be the only GB that could pull off a television based series. Hell I just hope Supernatural lasts long enough to do a cross over between all series! (Not bloody likely, but it would be funny as hell to see Sam or Dean use the term douche busters.)
By G.I.T.
I think GB2016 will become a cult classic when the young generations grow up. But as of right now, like Ninja Turtles 2012 brought back the old school turtles, and even brought Rob Paulsen the voice of Raphael back, a new "The Real" Ghostbusters cartoon could bridge the gap that the new movie created with it's reboot.
Alphagaia liked this
By deadderek
DarkSpectre wrote:If Ash vs Evil Dead has taught me anything, it's that you can indeed to a canonical television continuation with your leads older and work. But it all comes down to freedom and passion for the property. Listening to the Duffer Bros on Beyond Stranger Things discuss their love for GB, it pains me to think how good a GB reboot could've been with helmers that respect and love the property. Ivan, Dan and Ghost Corps should explore what Netflix could offer them. Hell if Bruce Campbell can return to fine form as an older out of shape Ash Williams then Dan, Ernie and (pipe dream) even Murray could don the suits and the packs again along side a few younger recruits or hell, bring in McKinnon and Jones and make a series with that

Bill Murray seems a bit more okay in recent years regarding Ghostbusters. Maybe not doing a straight sequel but there's ZombieLand, The Scream Awards, and The Video Game. (yes I recall about the difficulties of getting him involved with that.)

We'll never see a Ghostbusters 3 proper, but I think a Netflix series would be an amazing start. Hey Bill Murray cameo'd in the pilot of Vice Principals, and even just that would be awesome for a Ghostbusters series. :)
By timeware
There is that supposed Ecto Force cartoon coming out. Which i'll believe it when I see it. Any information on it is about as elusive as finding sasquatch. Which at this rate will probably happen before we get said cartoon.
By DarkSpectre
This could be Ivan's way to officially merge the universes like he's mentioned. You'd be free of the 2 hour confines of film and have time to let your story flow. And I know I keep going back to Ash vs Evil Dead but that's because it's stylistically a continuance of the films and doesn't shy away from the fact that Bruce Campbell is old. The show makes references to it but that makes it even more gratifying is that hes still able to kick ass and take a beating but they also have the ability to explore and expand his character. In a perfect world a Netflix GB series would be helmed by directors with a passion and love for the source material, backed by the original creators featuring Dan and Ernie and occasional Murray cameos still busting but along side of young recruits and possibly some of the ATC cast and delve into a less restrained some what darker style of story telling, still comedic but able to push the boundries some.
By timeware
A movie would be a good way to generate income and awareness for the series. Netflix or Hulu could have the option of doing something like that. Netflix had just come out with Bright that may even be turned into a new series. Would Will Smith be willing to do TV again? That's a possibility.

If a Ghostbusters series were to copy the Evil Dead formula they would have to tone down a lot of it to whatever audience they want to bring in. My bet is on it would be more like Stranger Things.

I wouldn't be surprised If they have the kids don the GB uniforms again due to the popularity of those episodes.

What keeps me coming back to Evil Dead besides being a fan of the original movies they aren't focused on shoving a political ideology down your throat like Supergirl. That show quickly became an overly romanced teen angst pile of crap.
By BatDan
Hire a better director and writer. Maybe Edgar Wright as a runner up as he knows how to balance horror, sci-fi, and action with wit and comedic flare.

Actually have a plot and likeable characters (not every character has to be comedic relief, refer to: Lenny Vs Andy Garcia) All four GBs In ATC, were pretty much interchangeable and didn't have any unique traits, what exactly was Abby and Erin's chemistry? Sure didn't feel like Peters sarcasm clashing with Ray's childlikeness.

Have the plot center around a real paranormal threat, not a magical ghost making machine which is a poor copout for how the ghosts appear in the story (the originals borrowed from HP Lovecraft, Bram Stoker and real Paranormal cases for their villains.)

Have a real theme addressed in the plot, ATC doesn't really present it's main characters as underdogs, the movie just kinda has them fired so the script can conveinently get them to being Ghostbusters. Where as in Gb1, we actually "feel" for their dilemmas and want them to succeed.

Editing and pacing, ATC is atrocious with this section, we barely even scrape a set up untill about 40 minutes in. Where as in Gb1 within the first 25 minutes, we actually have our heroes established as GBs and are introduced to the demon, Zuul.

Oh...and uh...what's Ghostbusters famous for..?..I forget..oh yea! COMEDY! ..have real jokes and comedy in the movie. Not the actors grasping for laughs and attention by making queef jokes, making faces, movie references, and dancing. Instead of that slop, actually have witty dialogue and situational humor (Peter and Zuul scene comes to mind)

Better ghost designs, the ghosts in ATC looked like blue-farts half the time, the only thing that stood out was the "skeleton flasher"...but..Balloons and ghost hamsters?..really?..where's the Titanic, Zombie cab driver, and the Washington Square orange giant? Those were some great designs and ideas. Which this comes to mind..

None of the ghosts imposed a threat or actual scare/atmosphere. Sure, alot of times in the originals the ghosts led themselves to some slapsticky moments, but..in the more subtle moments, like the tunnel scene in Gb2 or the dogs drag Dana scene in Gb1, the films weren't afraid to present a real threat to take a break from the humor.

Sorry, this movie is awful even just by simple filmmaking standards it needed alot of work.
By Sav C
I think some more satire would've been nice. While I can't think of any specific references at the moment, I remember that parts of Ghostbusters were satirizing horror movies.

That's the thing, though. The original was obviously the first one, and so Ghostbusters wasn't a thing yet. Now that Ghostbusters is a thing it's probably harder to fit satire within the established universe. Hope that makes sense.
By Alphagaia
Davideverona wrote:
DarkSpectre wrote:So far, no. He's producing Joel McHale's new Netflix show.
It's the movie jail Feig mentioned he would end up if Gb16 failed?
Did a quick check on IMDB.
Seems he is busy with Girls Code as well, another comedy show. He looks to be more active as a producer nowadays, as he wanted to step up from directing, though he also seems to direct A Simple favor which is in post production.
By Alphagaia
@BatDan: Just read your post about hating the fact it's a human using a 'magical ghost making machine'.
It does not make ghosts, but charge the leylines so ghosts can break through the barrier from the spirit world. The smaller ones create small cracks, the bigger one creates a big crack where the charged leylines meet.

You do realize GB1 was possible because of a magical building made by a human that attracts spiritual energy, and GB2 antagonist is a human who learns magic and gets his power from bad emotions?

But a human who uses the GB technology against them is where you draw the line?
Sav C, Kingpin, Noremon liked this
By BatDan
the way it was written was where I drew the line.

In Gb1, a demonic portal created through incantations by an ancient cult is a little more thought-out and plausable of a plot device than "kid genius with a Ghost-machine", seemed rather lazy in terms of the where, how, and why. and if this guys such a genius why is he working as a bellhop? Just didn't add up story wise.

I didn't say anything about how "unorthodox" the plot is, GB is supposed to be a bit campy, but it has to at least be interesting and thought out . Rowan as a villain was poorly written and just isn't interesting. Sorry.
By Glenn Frederick
Sav C wrote: March 23rd, 2018, 12:56 pm Oh, I didn't realize. I still haven't seen the Exorcist. Cool to know that is a satirical reference. :)

The original Ghostbusters when Dana/Zuul has the deep voice and is floating over the bed is also a reference to The Exorcist.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this
By Kingpin
BatDan wrote: March 24th, 2018, 8:29 amand if this guys such a genius why is he working as a bellhop? Just didn't add up story wise.
He works as a bellhop because A) He's socially maladjusted and malcontent, and even if he did/could've held a position at a reputable academic institution at one point, his issues would've led to his removal sooner or later.

B) Being a lowly bellhop gives him access to one of the biggest hotspots of paranormal activity in the ATC New York City, and enough anonymity to be able to skulk around without drawing too much attention, because nobody at the Mercado wanted much to do with him.
On top of that, with the Mercado having fallen into decline, the more abrasive aspects of his behaviour could either be brushed off as the product of dealing with the Mercado's picky guests/residents, or just as part of the reality of the hotel's falling standards.

Were he not so bent out of shape at the world, I'm sure Rowan could've achieved a lucrative career thanks to his intellect.
Noremon, Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Fully agree with Kingpin here. He works there because he knows the leylines cross right beneath the building, so he can build his Doomsday machine in the basement between the boilers.

Though slight correction: he isn't a bellhop, but a maintenance man. (He gets called for unclogging a toilet for instance, and in the extended edition a dimwitted guest calls upon his aid for a slime leaking air condition, which results in Earl the purple demon popping up in the back of her neck, and Rowan suggests a maintenance cream for that.) This position makes a bit more sense as he is a skilled tinkerer and gets acces to the boiler room.

Seems thought out to me ;-)

I do agree his part could have been more menacing though. While he picks up after death (go figure), as he tries to murder Holtzmann, destroys the packs and beats up two policemen in a sudden rush of aggro. Together with Zach Woods getting violently thrown around and Mayhem possessing the doll, I think there are some tense scenes in there. Though it really feels Feigs original R rated plan with scary ghosts would have been better.
Kingpin liked this
By timeware
I agree that he could have been a little bit more devious. Like giving him the role of Gozar and summoning a giant Vanilla Ice to crash the concert scene. A ghostbusters version of ninja rap would have been a hell of a lot better then that God awful falI out boy song. I don't think Ghostbusters should ever have an R rating.

The movie would have really been more raunchy for my tastes and I probably wouldn't have seen it. It would have been van wilder on steroids if they'd gone that way. Don't get me wrong I like raunchy movies, but it just doesn't seem to fit the Ghostbusters franchise.
By Evans
I would have had one of the girls be Egon's daughter or niece.. a relative of some sort. I would start the movie with her and at least one of the original team at a funeral for Egon. The girls wouldn't be based in New York.. maybe L.A.? Maybe Toronto? But somewhere else. They would start to notice things similar to what Egon and the others talked about and ask for help. Ray could forward them some schematics for a prototype pack Egon was working on.. enter new pack... etc.
By 80sguy
BatDan wrote: March 24th, 2018, 8:29 amand if this guys such a genius why is he working as a bellhop? Just didn't add up story wise.
The guy was a social introvert. It doesn't matter how smart a person is, if he doesn't know how to communicate with others he's not going to get far.

Evans wrote: March 25th, 2018, 12:43 amI would start the movie with her and at least one of the original team at a funeral for Egon...
I'll never understand the need to kill off Egon just because Harold Ramis is no longer with us. They could easily write around that.
Sav C, Alphagaia liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]