Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By timeware
I've seen that video and it's kind of laughable. The same thing can be done with the constant Russia, Russia, Russia by combining CNN, and MSNBC clips. Kind of a pot calling the kettle black argument. Only difference that video is getting more air time. If I had video editing skills I'd make one similar to the "And they tell two friends" from Wayne's world.

I remember when CNN freaked out about the meme videos.

By Kingpin
timeware wrote: April 8th, 2018, 4:37 pm I've seen that video and it's kind of laughable.
I see. So just a hypothetical, were a bunch of networks you feel had a liberal bias to be proven to have done something like that, I presume you'd be first in line to call them out on it?
timeware wrote: April 8th, 2018, 4:37 pmKind of a pot calling the kettle black argument.
Not really, no. There is an argument that you're sticking your head in the sand, though.
RichardLess, deadderek liked this
By Glenn Frederick
Is it just me or has this thread gone slightly off topic?

There's things I would change but if I had to fix GB2016 I would have added a lot more calls and busts.

Not so much as adding a lot of Ghosts for the sake of it but for more of seeing Ghostbusters on calls actually trapping ghosts.

In the first we see one trapping which was enough! in GB2 we see only see two, Scoleri Brothers and Jogger ghost. and only one in ATC with Mayhem.

Episodes of RGB and XGB did multiple calls and trappings in under 26 minutes.

It really seemed a waste with todays technology that there was only one call and one trapping scene!
Last edited by Glenn Frederick on April 9th, 2018, 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek liked this
By Alphagaia
Well, we do see them trying to capture Sparky, but the problem with actual ghostbusting is it needs to advance plot. The actual busting and trapping isn't that different each time it happens The plot in this one called for ghosts on leylines, so while you could make an montage of them capturing more ghosts, like the mentioned polarbear, the plot called for one capture, or otherwise Erin could easily convince the Dean ghosts exist by showing of another just like Mayhem. She was certainly desperate enough and it's more emotionally distraught to lose their only proof of one. Sadly enough, most of this story line got cut for time. Same with the gangster who turned into Slimer.
Glenn Frederick liked this
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: April 8th, 2018, 4:37 pm I've seen that video and it's kind of laughable. The same thing can be done with the constant Russia, Russia, Russia by combining CNN, and MSNBC clips. Kind of a pot calling the kettle black argument. Only difference that video is getting more air time. If I had video editing skills I'd make one similar to the "And they tell two friends" from Wayne's world.

I remember when CNN freaked out about the meme videos.

Do you hear yourself?
You just said the last Merly Streep film you saw was...Ant Bully?? Soo voice over work. You've only seen voice over work. Right..

Aren't you the same guy that has the anti feminist conspiracy in his head? Or was that someone else? Maybe that was someone else. If so, apologies.

I don't mind sparring with Consveratives but you just move the goal post way too often. You find that video laughable? You understand the genesis of it right? You could not do the same thing with Russia, except for the words "collusion" "trump" and "guilty" and that's because they are the truth. The Sinclair broadcasting video is Orwellian. It's anti democracy. Did you see the amount of anchors? And you find that laughable? You understand it's not just a word or two. It's an entire thought. How could you even compare the Russia thing. Oh, let me guess, you don't believe the CIA, FBI? Just Sean Hannity? Or Tucker Carlson? Those "experts".

Sorry folks, I know this thread derailed quite sometime ago and people keep trying to get it on track but it's interesting that conservative politiking keeps coming up during these things. I'm on record as a reboot disliker, but man o man, there sure are a ton of conservatives that are against this movie. I wonder why that is?
Sav C, Kingpin, deadderek liked this
By timeware
Richardless doesn't like conservative thought. Film at eleven.

I have to see ninety films to have an opinion on one celebrity? Take my comment or leave it. I'm not going to continue that merry go round argument. I'm doubling down on my statement that I see that film as laughable.

With tons of news footage on a twenty four hour news cycle anyone can make any station seem like a collective. You see that video like it's going to spark a civil war or something.

Oh and don't think I didn't see you leave out that I saw A.I.

I don't know how many times I have to bring up the fact I liked Answer The Call. How many times I have to bring up I didn't like the cause around the film. How many times I had stuck up for the actress' including Leslie. That seems to be conveniently forgotten.

Richardless I want to live your world. I want to live in a world where the FBI can never be corrupt or mis-used. I want to live in a world where only liberal opinion is the end all be all argument. Do you offer a time share?
By Kingpin
Alphagaia wrote: April 9th, 2018, 2:42 pm It's the same guy. Hence I stopped giving him a platform. He makes ridiculous claims to provoke responses so he can lecture others with his 'world view'.
Actually I think it's two separate guys. I had to look it up and while timeware has some similar talking points to pferreira1983, timeware isn't quite as rabid (or obsessive either over the Supergirl actress or over somehow being able to tell Boston apart from New York).
timeware wrote: April 9th, 2018, 9:09 pmWith tons of news footage on a twenty four hour news cycle anyone can make any station seem like a collective. You see that video like it's going to spark a civil war or something.
It alone isn't going to spark a civil war, but it shows that there is at least a large chunk of news stations owned by a specific company that are being blatantly used as a propaganda machine. It isn't just "selective editing", the sequences are identical word-for-word.

If that doesn't make you uncomfortable and concerned than, well...

Nobody said the FBI was beyond corruption and personal abuse, but if your sole basis for that conclusion is the 45th President and his twitter feed then you deserve a better basis for distrusting them than a proven pathological liar.
By Alphagaia
Kingpin wrote: April 10th, 2018, 1:29 am
Alphagaia wrote: April 9th, 2018, 2:42 pm It's the same guy. Hence I stopped giving him a platform. He makes ridiculous claims to provoke responses so he can lecture others with his 'world view'.
Actually I think it's two separate guys. I had to look it up and while timeware has some similar talking points to pferreira1983, timeware isn't quite as rabid (or obsessive either over the Supergirl actress or over somehow being able to tell Boston apart from New York)
Hmm, I'll have to look it up as well then. I know pferreira was worse, but I seem to remember Timeware saying stuff in the same tone.
By timeware
Kingpin wrote: If that doesn't make you uncomfortable and concerned than, well...

Nobody said the FBI was beyond corruption and personal abuse, but if your sole basis for that conclusion is the 45th President and his twitter feed then you deserve a better basis for distrusting them than a proven pathological liar.]
I havent had a high opinion of the FBI since the Lois Lerner shit. pferreira1983 was okay at first but then he turned into a real freaking ass hole. Hell you can check my I.P. Adress if you still aren't convinced i'm me.

As for the propganda stuff i'm sure it's not just exclusive to Fox. CNN, MSNBC sounds the same to me when I watch them. That's why I don't believe the mainstream media lock stock and barrel and do my own research.

I remember when Alpha was accused of being a Sony plant. Kind of surprised Richardless hasn't accused me of working for Hannity. As I hold the check to the light to make out the signature...Oh wait guys it bounced. Lets go play saome basketball!
Last edited by Kingpin on April 10th, 2018, 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed quote code
By Ectobond
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVYYXl7wlFI

Just saw this on the Ghostbusters subreddit(u/jackofbass64). I share his opinion on GB 2016.

I do think they should have tried someone other than Fallout Boy for the main theme. I would have liked to see the Mark Ronson song have more of the emphasis and maybe have Fallout Boy playing in some extras headphones or something. Having Mark Robson more prominently featured would have a nice symmetry to Ray Parker JR in terms of their status as a hired gun.

Just as an aside, I don't share the same distaste for Paul Feig. I think Ghostbusters is the only movie of his I have seen, so it would be unfair to judge him as a director. However, i do agree that he was probably not the best choice, but I do respect him for trying. It must be terrifying to have to handle a franchise with all of the stakes that are inherent with film production combined with heavy fan expectations.
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: April 9th, 2018, 9:09 pm Richardless doesn't like conservative thought. Film at eleven.

I have to see ninety films to have an opinion on one celebrity? Take my comment or leave it. I'm not going to continue that merry go round argument. I'm doubling down on my statement that I see that film as laughable.

With tons of news footage on a twenty four hour news cycle anyone can make any station seem like a collective. You see that video like it's going to spark a civil war or something.

Oh and don't think I didn't see you leave out that I saw A.I.

I don't know how many times I have to bring up the fact I liked Answer The Call. How many times I have to bring up I didn't like the cause around the film. How many times I had stuck up for the actress' including Leslie. That seems to be conveniently forgotten.

Richardless I want to live your world. I want to live in a world where the FBI can never be corrupt or mis-used. I want to live in a world where only liberal opinion is the end all be all argument. Do you offer a time share?
I didn't leave out A.I. I said voice over work, A.I was voice over work. She voiced the Blue Fairy. She didn't appear anywhere in the film itself. Soo have you actually seen the movie?

I bet you do want to live in my world. Where facts matter and a reality TV star isn't president. In order to discount the Russiam Collusion you've got to be sticking your head in the sand. Sure, FBI agents can be corrupt, but I don't believe the bureau itself in conjunction with the CIA, are telling the American people a lie that is insanely obvious to anyone paying attention. Russians messed with the election and if the Steele document is to be believed, it's much worse. How many lies does the Trump admin have to get caught in before you start to question things.

"Anyone can make a news station seem like a collective" What are you talking about?? I don't think you understand that these anchors were FORCED to read this document written by the heads of Sincalir Broadcasting, whose owner is insanely conservative. You understand that, right? These are News anchors. Not opinion people like Hannity, Maddow, Carlson. But news anchors like Shep Smith, Leslely Holt, Walter Cronkite. I want to make sure that you understand that.

And by the way, I'm probably not as left wing as you think I am. I was for the Iraq war, not because of the weapons of mass destructions, but because Hussien was an evil dude and the less evil in the world, the better. Granted I'm a huge Obama fan, because he was one of the most honest and intelligent presidents America has had. Plus getting elected with a name like his and being black? It was beautiful. It really was. The world was at a good place for a little while when Obama was elected. Then all that progress and beauty was undone by a spiteful Orange creature with no regard for truth or honesty. A hypocritical narcissist that cares only about himself and his image. Trump.
Kingpin, Sav C, deadderek liked this
By Ectobond
I also think they should have toned down the equipment. I feel like the jump to all the advanced ghostbusting equipment seemed a little rushed. They could have saved the invention of new technology for another movie. It's like they went through years of R and D in like a month or so.

Also, i was not a fan of the ghost chipper. It was more Looney Tunes than I think it needed to be.
By Sav C
Alphagaia wrote: April 10th, 2018, 1:34 am
Kingpin wrote: April 10th, 2018, 1:29 am

Actually I think it's two separate guys. I had to look it up and while timeware has some similar talking points to pferreira1983, timeware isn't quite as rabid (or obsessive either over the Supergirl actress or over somehow being able to tell Boston apart from New York)
Hmm, I'll have to look it up as well then. I know pferreira was worse, but I seem to remember Timeware saying stuff in the same tone.
I don't think they are the same person. Their style of writing varies quite a bit: Timeware's posts are more long form and structured than pferreira1983's were. Also, Timeware's opinions evolve more than pferreira's did.

I have no personal investment in Star Wars, so I have no opinion on which way they decide to portray Leia in future movies. However generally speaking, I prefer to see a new actor portray a character instead of a CGI artist attempting to mimic an actor who has passed on. I find it more respectful to make it clear that the character is being reinterpreted by someone new. That's not to say the technology isn't amazing, it's just that from a moral standpoint, I'm not sure to what extent I'm comfortable about its use. However, if an actor were to consent to it before their passing, that is an entirely different story.

Actually, and I know I said I don't really have an opinion on this, I think Meryl would be a good choice to portray Leia--she is one of the most accomplished actors of our time after all.

Edit: Come to think of it, Meryl makes perfect sense in a Star Wars movie, since Star Wars really is Apocalypse Now set in outer space, and Meryl was in both The Deer Hunter and her latest film, The Post, both of which revolve around the Vietnam War.
By Alphagaia
I'm not saying Timeware is Pfer or vice versa, I was referring to the time he was addamant at connecting Feig to FF to proof he is an extreme feminist with quite a tenacy and thought Richardless was thinking of that as well.

But really, I wish we would just stop talking politics here. It never ends well.
deadderek liked this
By Sav C
Alphagaia wrote: April 12th, 2018, 3:48 am I'm not saying Timeware is Pfer or vice versa, I was referring to the time he was addamant at connecting Feig to FF to proof he is an extreme feminist with quite a tenacy and thought Richardless was thinking of that as well.

But really, I wish we would just stop talking politics here. It never ends well.
Oops, guess we just had a bit of miscommunication. No worries. I get your frustration with us talking politics here. Unfortunately not taking politics seriously enough is what has gotten us into this whole mess that is causing us to discuss them like this. And I realize I'm in Canada where the political system isn't that far gone yet, but I have reason to be invested in US politics as the town I'm in relies heavily on income from exporting to the US, and the new tariffs imposed could kill the local industry and cause our town to become a ghost town (like many towns that used to surround us). Still, GBFans really isn't the place for politics.
Kingpin wrote:being able to tell Boston apart from New York).
Since you mentioned this, I woke up thinking about it, and came to a new conclusion. I think one of the reasons New York seems so different from the originals (besides being thirty plus years later) is simply because they were filmed at different times of the year. The first two were both filmed in the winter if I'm not mistaken. You look at the scene at Columbia University, it looks cold out. There's cloud cover for many of the outdoor scenes in the movie, and even when there isn't it looks cold out. The reboot seems very cheery in the sense that it seems to be filmed during spring. I don't what to say the originals are drab because the cinematography and colors are still lively, but I think that by filming the reboot in Spring gives it a different feel. For instance, compare the Ghostbusters in Chinatown in the montage to the Ghostbusters Chinatown headquarters in ATC. The colors are different, the sun is in different places in the sky, and (along with the thirty year filming gap) it makes it feel different. I think I read a Lazlo Kovacs interview where he takes note of how the low winter sun made for great backlighting. Anyway that's my newly found take on it--the reboot feels like it's shot in NYC, it just feels like it was shot in a different season, which it was.
deadderek liked this
By timeware
How many lies does the Trump admin have to get caught in before you start to question things.
Depends on what the definition of is, is.
Russia wasn't the only country that messed with U.S. election's and it isn't the reason why your side lost. You act like this is the only time it's ever happened. About twenty years ago the media wasn't obsessed with China interfering in a presidential election.

Is it shitty? Yes it is. It's wrong and whoever's responsible should be held accountable. Let the investigation play out before you jump the gun, or is Trump so guilty he doesn't deserve a fair trial?

Now let me ask you if you think it's okay to use U.S. Tax dollars to sway the elections in Israel if you don't like the man in charge? How do you think the citizens of that country would feel if their votes had been taken away from Obama's interference? Think they could hold our country accountable?

I want both sides looked at.Of course I want to know if he broke any laws during the election process. Your party is just as guilty in underhanded shit as the Republicans are.

If you cant question scandals the DNC have been accused of, I'm done debating you. If both sides end up in jail they should be fair trials not a one sided sham.
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: April 12th, 2018, 8:06 pm
How many lies does the Trump admin have to get caught in before you start to question things.
Depends on what the definition of is, is.
Russia wasn't the only country that messed with U.S. election's and it isn't the reason why your side lost. You act like this is the only time it's ever happened. About twenty years ago the media wasn't obsessed with China interfering in a presidential election.

Is it shitty? Yes it is. It's wrong and whoever's responsible should be held accountable. Let the investigation play out before you jump the gun, or is Trump so guilty he doesn't deserve a fair trial?

Now let me ask you if you think it's okay to use U.S. Tax dollars to sway the elections in Israel if you don't like the man in charge? How do you think the citizens of that country would feel if their votes had been taken away from Obama's interference? Think they could hold our country accountable?

I want both sides looked at.Of course I want to know if he broke any laws during the election process. Your party is just as guilty in underhanded shit as the Republicans are.

If you cant question scandals the DNC have been accused of, I'm done debating you. If both sides end up in jail they should be fair trials not a one sided sham.
Dude. Again, you move the goal posts. Now you are bringing up DNC scandals as if we were talking about them?? You ignore everything of substance and then move the goal posts. You are grasping at straws here.

Everyone deserves a fair trial. And since Hilary WON the popular vote, you have zero idea how much of an impact Russian meddling had. Don't pretend otherwise. I'm sure this isn't the first or last election to have a foreign power try to exert an influence but it might be the first where a candidate teams colluded with that foreign power for political advantage. We already know about the meeting at trump tower and the co operation with wiki leaks. Again I love the hypocrisy of the right, wiki leaks has the enemy under Obama but now Sean Hannity loves them! I wonder why lol

Also? I don't have a party. I'm not a fool that sticks to a party because of tribalism. I judge a candidate by their character and what I see and how they present themselves. Had Trump run as a Democrat, I'd be just as against him.

I love the "whataboutism" the right uses when talking about Trump. "What about Bill Clinton, what about this what about that" as if it has ANYTHING to do with the here and now.
Sav C, Kingpin, deadderek liked this
By Sav C
timeware wrote: April 12th, 2018, 8:06 pmAbout twenty years ago the media wasn't obsessed with China interfering in a presidential election.
Yeah, umm, hate to break it to you but the Clinton administration wasn't exactly trying to open a backdoor to China in the way the Trump administration seems to have attempted to open a backdoor to the Kremlin. Putin is allegedly blackmailing Trump with that dirty tape. There are a lot of shady going ons with many people within Trump's administration (even Trump met with those Russian officials). Russia meddled, or attempted to meddle with the voting count. Russia launched an unprecedented internet propaganda attack against the US, Canada, and European nations. They organized fake Pro-Trump and Anti-Clinton rallies. A corporation closely tied to the Kremlin worked around the clock to fabricate fake news and spread it in America. Russian trolls were hired whose job it was to start political arguments on social media.

China funneled a few donations to the DNC back in the 90s.

Timeware, for someone so quick to buy into the idea that Feig, Sony, and Feminist Frequency(?) were conspiring some crazy scheme or whatnot to cause controversy, you seem extremely docile when it comes to accusing Russia of conspiring attacks intended to weaken our democracy.
deadderek liked this
By timeware
Paul was, and still is a politically active feminist.

As for the russian meddling. I'm not denying it.

All i'm saying is the meddling wasn't the only reason Hillary lost. If she broke campaign finance laws in paying for the steel document, and Trump did the same thing with the tower meeting they should both be in jail or charged for conspiring with foreign agents.

Both sides aren't squeaky clean with the Russia dealings. Past or present.
By Kingpin
And then there's the belief/concern that Russia was behind a significant number of messages from fake accounts supporting the withdrawal of Net Neutrality.
Glenn Frederick wrote: April 12th, 2018, 10:10 pm I never got to read the novelization of ATC.

Was it closer to the theatrical cut, the extended cut or did it mention some of the deleted scenes that were never released?
Still on my to-read list.
deadderek liked this
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: April 13th, 2018, 12:47 am Paul was, and still is a politically active feminist.

As for the russian meddling. I'm not denying it.

All i'm saying is the meddling wasn't the only reason Hillary lost. If she broke campaign finance laws in paying for the steel document, and Trump did the same thing with the tower meeting they should both be in jail or charged for conspiring with foreign agents.

Both sides aren't squeaky clean with the Russia dealings. Past or present.
Broke campaign finance laws? We already know who paid for the Steele investigation and guess what? It was all started by a republican. That's right. You are aware that the Steele investigation broke no laws? There's no campaign finance law she broke concerning the Steele investigation. Steele has a squeaky clean reputation. Political parties do deep background research ALL the time. What's unusual is what came out of this research(god I hope there really is a pee tape. How great would that be?). Now that we have confirmation that Trump cheated on his just-married-and-had-a-baby-wife who knows what else is out there? I mean the guy was caught on audio bragging about sexually molesting women, how could anyone support a person like that?

Again, you can't say that Russian meddling isn't the reason she lost. Wiki leaks was helping the trump campaign, wiki leaks leaked the Clinton emails and the Russians are behind Julian Assange. It's impossible to say how much impact it had. Given that she Won the popular vote by 3 million votes, I'd say there's a good chance it was the primary reason. The others? A)She's a woman and B) even other women don't seem to like her. And C) She doesn't pass the all important "which candidate would I want to have a beer with?" test.

So you never did answer, have you actually seen AI or did you forget Meryl Streep only did voice work?
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Alright... Alright... I get it. I'm sorry I opened my mouth in the first place. I almost feel like I'm responsible for this whole mess by posting that Seinfeld gif, lol. Anyway, my point is that I am now officially recusing myself from any future political discourse on this site, with the exception being to make sarcastic one liners (just because I can't help myself).

As for the book, it is still on my to-read list also. We have public bookshelves in my town with a "take a book, leave a book" policy, and every time I walk past to see if someone has left anything Ghostbusters themed. No luck yet. I do the same at second hand stores. I look for the Elmer Bernstein score (which I doubt any of the fuddy duddies around here would've purchased). I stumbled across the 95 release of GBII on DVD, but passed on it since I have the 2005 DVD and 2014 Bluray.
Alphagaia liked this
By Sav C
I'll elaborate a bit since no one's chimed in since earlier... I'm torn as to whether I want to get the 90s GBII DVD (assuming someone hasn't nabbed it already). On the one hand, the cover art is probably my favorite of all of the releases, but on the other hand I'll never watch the DVD since I have the Bluray and the 2005 DVD. The same goes for the first movie--coolest cover, but will I ever watch it? Probably not.

Is it just me or did they put more effort into the actual presentation of DVDs than they typically do Blurays? The 2014 Bluray is really nice, the menus are really cool for both movies, and they have a lot of Special Features. But I find a lot of Blurays aren't that well thought out in the sense that they go right into the movie and then have one fairly generic menu at the end with all of options. Granted with streaming and the technology being older, I suppose there isn't as much reason to put so much effort into Bluray presentation; besides presentation doesn't affect the movie itself of course.

"Digression!"

Right, back to my original point... I also specifically look for the GBII VHS, with hopes that it includes an alternate cut that perhaps has the Slimer/Statue of Liberty ending, or other rumored scenes. It must seem bizarre to onlookers that a 21st century teen would be looking through the VHS bin... I know it's unlikely that there are any alternate scenes on the VHSes, but in many of the cases I've seen looking into alternate scenes, the VHS usually is never confirmed as to whether it includes them or not.

Elmer Bernstein's score on CD or Vinyl would be the ultimate find, though, if I ever find it. The theme song picture disc would be so cool too.
By Glenn Frederick
I used to go daily to thrift stores and flea markets in the city looking through VHS tapes/toys/books and anything GB related before I move to a small town in the middle of nowhere.

I had thought about making VHS copies of more recent movies for only myself because of nostalgic reasons. I even considered ATC as a fan edited and VHS rental quality tape to go along with my old GB tapes. I assume a lot of people would consider that to be weird?
Sav C liked this
By BatDan
What in the sam hill is going on in this thread? Lol. I posted a review a few weeks ago, came back to see the replies and now we're on trump, feminism and Meryl Streep. Well..talk about flying off the handle. Haha. Wow.
Alphagaia liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

EDIT: Accidentally left out a chunk in chapter one[…]