By Kingpin
(Special thanks to Alex Newborn for the tip and providing visual materials)

Scheduled for release in September, Spencer's Gifts (the company which presently owns Spirit Halloween) will be retailing a backpack version of their successful Proton Pack replica.

The specifications are as follows:

•Lights and sounds
•Adjustable padded straps
•Three pockets
•Laptop sleeve
•Zipper closure
•Fully lined
•22.7" high, 15.5" wide, 12" deep.

The backpack is currently available for a reduced price of $74.99. The normal listing price is $149.99.
I'm having trouble with what my brain is trying to decipher here. It looks like a spirit halloween electronic proton pack from the front...with backpack straps?
By Kingpin
SpaceBallz wrote: August 1st, 2018, 7:50 pm I'm having trouble with what my brain is trying to decipher here. It looks like a spirit halloween electronic proton pack from the front...with backpack straps?
More than just the straps. View it more as a regular backpack with the Spirit Halloween Proton Pack attached to it, with part of the backpack partially fed into the Proton Pack's plastic shell.
NickFame13 liked this
By BRD 527
good grief I already preordered a trap, goggles and 2 pke meters... yes this is pretty cool... Yes they are bleedin me dry this year lol my nephew well love this... for one day -.-
I cant justify buying this until I've finished upgrading my last pack. I do like the idea of having a lap top sleeve to set up an easy sound system without having to install a bunch of electronics.

If someone were really creative they could set up a 3dfx projector to mimic proton stream's or project slimer and other ghosts?
NickFame13 liked this
By Kingpin
timeware wrote: August 7th, 2018, 5:35 pmIf someone were really creative they could set up a 3dfx projector to mimic proton stream's or project slimer and other ghosts?
It's not impossible, but it's not the least bit practical with today's current technology.
@ Kingpin, thanks for the heads up.

Between this new backpack and the next issue of the IDW comic book I am really excited for September. Also I defiantly plan on getting one of the new Spirt Halloween Ghost Traps as well, since I currently do not a have Ghost Trap for cosplaying.
I just got an email from Spencer's with an ADDITIONAL 20% off for all backpacks this weekend only.

The email says "Promo code BACKPACKS18E"

The website says "Promo code: BACKPACKS18" without the E on the end.

Not sure which is the typo, might want to try both if there's a bug in the system.

Alex
Got my backpack today, very pleased at quickly it shipped. @ Alex Newborn, A big thank you for the heads up on the promotional code. Now that I have it in person, I must say that is decent for what it is. Will defiantly be modifying mine, down the road since I really do not care for the Proton Gun/ Wand and how small it is. Also their are a few other details that I would defiantly change, to be more screen accurate (even with the size of the pack being smaller).
Got mine a few days ago, forgot to reply about this. I like the pack and compared to the first one this looks more normal because of the shoulder straps from the backpack. While it's nothing that I'm going to send it back over, there's a pretty decent sized crack on the top corner above the blue light as well as missing a small piece of the plastic there. As if it got banged around or something. Unless it's some kind of production issue so perhaps take a look at the sides of the corners on top and be sure how yours fared.

Outside of that it's what you'd expect if you got the previous Spirit Halloween pack. It does seem like the plastic is a darker black this time, but perhaps it's lighting or me being a doofus. For me I like that sticking the thing onto a backpack more or less gives it a look similar to the usual frame they're on without having to mod one on. Still uses the crappy worthless notch to "hold" the wand on. Seriously even just a damned hook would work better than this thing. I payed 70 for it and am not disappointed, but I don't think I'd want to pay the normal 140 they were asking.
By elsoldao7
I've been looking at turorials online. It should'nt be too hard to separate, but for now I'm keeping it as-is. That way I can take water & use it as storage for trick-or-treating with my kids.
doctorevil30564 wrote:if you decide to mod that one with a light/sound kit, be sure to take pictures for us of the process. Hopefully they made it pretty easy to remove the backpack without having to tear it up too badly.
By elsoldao7
Kingpin wrote:Why would you guys go to the effort of buying the backpack version, with the intent to take it apart and remove the backpack, when the's the regular Spirit version that already cuts to the chase?
At least in my case, for some reason they were charging about $10 less for shipping me the backpack vs the regular one. And with the additional 20% off backbacks the other day it was a no-brainer.
Got another email from Spencer's this afternoon.

They now have (as far as I can tell) all of the Spirit Hallowe'en GB merchandise on the Spencer's website too.

https://www.spencersonline.com/thumbnai ... ostbusters

If anyone was wanting to get the proton-backpack (or other Spencer's items like their GB-logo 'dad hat' and t-shirts) AND was planning to order a trap, etc. from Spirit, it might help on shipping to order them all from the one site.

Alex
Last edited by Alex Newborn on August 29th, 2018, 3:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I just received one of the Spencer's backpacks.
Very easy to remove the backpack, 3 screws inside the backpack - all visible, no hunting under the fabric for these. And two on the outside (bottom left and right hand side of Cyclotron.

The fabric is on a piece of plywood, rather than the cardboard used in the other packs (at least the ones I have received):

nastynoah liked this
By Azurial
just to be sure, is this the same shell they use for the prop? cuz if so, that means you could Alterntatively find the backpack and you're paying double or potentially double what the prop is.

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

Patch 1.8.0/DLC 5 added two more -Bitter Cold: […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]