This is for other Ghostbusters Props that don't fit into the categories above.
By Azurial
Justinius wrote: October 24th, 2018, 9:54 pm This is amazing! How's the development of the pack going?
Yep! After having to restart a few times in the last few months and taking a break from the model of the pack, I can say that principle design is complete!

The next steps are to figure out how I'm going to chop it up for printing, gather enough material to test print, and then assemble. I'll be going back in and giving the Trap a slight rework to get it to mount to the side of the pack, but that's still a ways off. I've colored most of the pack save for the Cyclotron light covers. I may have to go in and redo the mounting points for the Alice Frame, but that's another thing that'll have to wait.

As for wether or not I'll be sharing the files, I probably will not, but I will be looking to partner up with someone to have the final printed version molded and cast, maybe in some form of barter situation. For now, though, here's a picture of the finished (for now) design!

By timeware
My printers arriving in a few days. If you PM me the files for the trap I could print it out. I'm curious to see how it looks next to the matty trap. Do these files take a lot of filament?
By NotSabbat
timeware wrote: December 15th, 2018, 10:55 am My printers arriving in a few days. If you PM me the files for the trap I could print it out. I'm curious to see how it looks next to the matty trap. Do these files take a lot of filament?
Ditto; would happy to do pack test prints as well especially if I end up with files :D
By Azurial
Thanks guys. For the time being I'm going to be holding the pack files pretty close. There's still a lot of work to do with them and I'm not even sure what to ask for them. As for the trap files, the trap is pretty small having used the show's on pack scale to get them to mount to the pack. If I had to guess it takes up about a half to 3/4 of a 1 kilo roll. Heck the pack itself is maybe an inch or two smaller than the movie version and looks about right at least in the design software.

Aside from that I'd sell the files for the trap right now, but I'm unsure I'm allowed to. I'll have to read over the rules again before I can say for certain.
NotSabbat, NickFame13 liked this
By Azurial
Hey guys! Minor update. The pack model has been hollowed out and done in such a way that it shouldn't need any support material when printing. Of course I'll still need to test print this thing and I estimate that the full print will take 4-6 days if printing non stop. I still have one more minor adjustment to make in the cyclotron shell, but for now here's where I'm sitting on this.

You'll notice the additional Power cell/Ion Arm assembly and Dome.

The original Power Cell/Ion arm was based on the height measurement of the movie version Ion Arm and while I like the shorter one, the longer one is more accurate to the drawings I was using.

The additional dome is another one. Based on the Drawings I used, it seemed to have the flush sides. However, the show had some inconsistent animation and would often enough have a rounded one.

By Azurial
So bad news on my end.

I wanted to get rolling Indonesia test prints to get the ball rolling on the pack to see how it turned out. My new printer however has been acting all funky and while I was getting a good first layer squish, with plenty of adhesive on the build plate, the plastic still wasn't sticking down. I've tried leveling over and over, I've tried cleaning off the build plate and applying new adhesive, and I've even tried uploading new firmware to see if that was an issue. The prints that ARE staying in place are curling not even 3 layers in.

Guessing that it's an issue with the hot end not moving down far enough to meet with the build plate and something going on with the railing under the bed.

I'm pretty annoyed at this point. Guess I'm going to cool off, and come back to it after I rebuild my Ultimaker original.

Also, I'f anyone reading this post has a greeting a10, you have any ideas on a custom auto level probe?
By NotSabbat
I have a Creality Ender 3, which looks to be the same machine. I dont know anything about auto levelers, but Im relatively good with TSing if you want to go through a few things. Im assuming it was on the big parts?
By Azurial
In general. I can't even do a 20mm calibration cube. I'm currently tightening down bolts across the bottom of the machine and just uploaded a fresh Marlin firmware again after completely wiping the eeprom just to eliminate that issue.

AFAIK the Ender 3 and the Geeetech A10 are the closest match to each other with the only difference being a slightly larger z build area on the A10 with 260 Max.
By NotSabbat
There is a lot of companies that essentially make the same printer. I have a CR-10 that I have put several thousand hours of build time through and and Ender 3 (basically the same machine). I do use a tempered glass build plate and print mostly in PETG, so that may be different from your setup. I have also printed 5 proton packs at this point, so printing big parts isn't something Im a stranger to. I wont force help on to you, but I love seeing stuff like this happen, so I will help in any way I can if you would like.
Azurial liked this
By Azurial
Thanks for looking out.

I'm back to printing now. Seems that the filament I was using didn't want to stick to the adhesive I was using and have had to move on to some more extreme solutions.

A few problems I came across however have me concerned over the longevity of this particular printer. Like the poorly centered hot end, and there's a wheel on the buildplate that doesn't come anywhere near even lightly touching the extrusion. The QC on this machine was terrible.

To get back to work though, I used a fair amount of force and alcohol to remove the glass plate from the print bed, flipped it over, and used a metric crap ton of abs slurry to get it to hold down.

There's also a minor twist in the Y axis extrusion (somewhere in the 5 degree range) so leveling is made yet even more difficult.

Honestly, I think that the Geeetech brand is just binned parts from the Creality stuff.

But I do have my Bumper on the build plate and I'm hoping to get some footage of the print and assembly process up when I do finish this project.
NotSabbat liked this
By Azurial
For now, yes. I prefer printing in PLA if I'm being honest. I still have a couple of rolls of ABS laying around from my experiments with melting it down in acetone for Pepakura projects, which works out really great but is time consuming. So much so I'm not sure it's worth doing on large scale projects.

But after 6 hours of print time the first parts are off the build plate!

Some assembly required, but I present the bumper and bellows. I'm going to go sand off the rough edges, fix the minor layer delamination that happened to some of the corners and get it assembeled and have a picture of that with the next parts I print out!
NotSabbat liked this
By Azurial
After about 25.5 hours of print time, I'm confident in saying this is gonna take a while.

The spacer is completely finished printing after a long day and while I'm not entirely happy with the way the parts came out, primarily due to layer delamination despite printing at the hottest temp I could to mitigate that, at least I have something I can assemble and show off.

As it turns out, it's going to be just slightly larger than the movie pack.
By timeware
It looks like there's going to be enough room for electronics looking at your last 3d models. I just got my printer today so once I get it set up and running I'm going to start with the small stuff until I get the hang of things. The pack is looking promising so far and I cant wait to tackle it.
By Azurial
I hate ABS. I hate it so much. Sure it finishes really easily but it's just a pain in the ass.

I've had parts of the Cyclotron stick to the bed and have pieces of the surface pop off of the Cyclotron, parts not stick down right, and way too much delamination happening than I'm comfortable with. I honestly can not wait to get back to printing in PLA...

that said, here is the progress on the pack - still waiting on the glue to set up and the filler to harden. Unfortunately I didn't take into account the Cyclotron size relative to Spacer, so I had to compensate with the dremmel to get it to slot in place right, so looks like the next test print will have to be slightly re-engineered. Finishing this beast in ABS will be my greatest test of patience.

Complaints aside though, The most taxing of the parts is over with and I can start to focus on printing out the top most detail page. I'm really looking forward to doing the Gauge Box for some reason...

Any way, here's the picture of the Cyclotron mid assembly. It's sitting next to a movie version one for scale and size comparison. I think it's a bit too big...

By NotSabbat
Not to tell you your business, but have you tried PETG? It can be a paint to get dialed in , but once you do it works pretty good.
Also; Are you using an enclosure with your printer?
By Azurial
I haven't tried petg but I'm not entirely interested as the price my supplier has for it puts it out of reach for me. I get really good deals on PLA but using up the ABS because I have it laying around. As for the enclosure I'd love to build one but cash is super tight so materials are slow going. I also refuse to use cardboard because the cats love to play with the stuff and I'd be pissed if they started to paw at the box while I was printing. That said I am slowly accumulating materials and will be going with some Plexiglas for the walls. As for the layer delamination I figured out the printer was setting the temp back down 230 when I needed it at 250 - that was my fault for not adjusting the slicer across the board.

Still though, AbS is still a pain to deal with.

I might revisit petg in the future though if it becomes more affordable for me.

For now, the printer is taking a break as I fix up my Ultimaker original this weekend.

Merry Christmas guys! I'll be back sometime next week with a new set of pictures and some new progress. I'm itching to get my pack done so I can move on to modeling the belt gizmo and fixing some of minor design flaws of the pack, and finally getting the trap mount done.

And thanks for the advice NotSabbat.
NotSabbat liked this
By Azurial
So more frustrations here at the lab.

This is the control board for my printer with the heated bed. Sadly, this is the second one that has gone out on me - the first one had a blown 5V regulator that arrived as such, this one, the thermistor pins went out. In laymans terms, one didn't get proper power to it, and the other wont read temps right to spit plastic out.

That said, once I get everything running again and the prototype is all done, there are a few changes I'll make to the pack files before I do anything else with them, even it's just making a second pack. I am presently working on a side project that ties into this directly and as soon as I figure out what's what, I'll be able to share more.

I will also have some new pictures of the pack progress up in the next few weeks, so bare with me.
NotSabbat liked this
By Azurial
Hey gang!

Time to update.

Since I'm still waiting on my replacement control board and I had some free time, I finally got around to modeling the belt gizmo. A friend of mine has the eyeglass case so I pulled the measurements from that and used the only good reference picture I could find from a screen grab.

I've got my Ultimaker Original back up and running so I should be able to get a test print ready once I can get some more filament - What I have in stock is currently earmarked for the pack. More pictures to come!

By Azurial
Just some quick progress on the pack. Seeing as how facebook isn't serving my pictures anymore, I figure a quick video showing you guys where I'm at should help.

https://youtu.be/Kdbcnr3ZeVo

Since I'm not on a time crunch and the files for lol the gear are pretty much all done, I have given a set of files to 2 other people to test. I've considered releasing some of my prop files somewhere but, I'm afraid of them being sold and exchanged without any attribution, so if you'd like them to help me test I'll be more than happy to share on a case to case basis, just not yet. I still need to tweak a bit and when I feel confident enough I'd very much like to look into soliciting someone to help me turn this pack into a mold or something.
By Azurial
Finally finished the 3D print of the proton pack. Once I get everything painted I'll update the thread with the images of the pack. This one is gonna get some heavy TLC.

By Azurial
Alright gang, I know I've been dark for a while so I bring to you an update on my progress this far!

The pack is done. 100% is stretching a bit, but all that's left to do its cut a motherboard and figure out if I'm going too do my own straps or if I want to money out to an Alice frame, and of course a lighting/sound solution.

Photobucket is being a jerk, so all I can offer is this video update. I'll get pictures up later when I can upload again.

https://youtu.be/Jnjb1MjnPt8
By Azurial
As promised, a couple more pictures.

Edit: one of the pictures was accidentally deleted. I've updated the link to show all of the props I have so far for this project is mostly finished states. Like the trap, they'll all be getting a dirty, Rusty wash with some acrylic paint.
Last edited by Azurial on June 4th, 2019, 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Coover5 liked this
By Azurial

Coming down to the end of my build. The pack is about 90% there.

Lighting, diffusers, motherboard, and hobby servo for the gauge are all installed, and all that's left are the straps, learn to code the arduino that's in it, figure out sound, and get some yellow loom for the pack to thrower connection, preferred splitless but I know I can at least get it split.

Next up I'll be reworking the dials on my PKE meter, and designing the trap pedal. Still fiddling with scale on the gizmo, but almost have it down after 3 test prints. Next one should be final.

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]