Talk about the your favorite Ghostbusters Collectibles from Mattel, Kenner, and more.
By Wiggyof9
Finally. At this rate I'll have them next year.

I hope we hear some news at Toy Fair in Feb. about a continuation of the line. I want to see another ghost wave only with RGB ghosts like Sandman, Sam Hain, Boogeyman, etc. Plus we need an RGB season 1 Janine.
Kingpin liked this
By Peter Venkman Jr.
Just ordered Winston, going to have him in hand on January 2. Really looking forward to getting Egon and Slimer as well as Peter, Ray, and Stay Puft later on. I really hope that this wave does well in sales so a wave of ghost characters is produced. When DST made The Real Ghostbusters minimates back in 2011, I was really happy that many of the notable villains from the show got figures made.
Last edited by Peter Venkman Jr. on December 27th, 2018, 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ccv66
I don't think they'll do another diorama, but a maybe a shorter "build a figure"? I won't hold my breath for some peoplebusters but seems like there's some easy money with gb2 courtroom or the green slime RGB
By Wiggyof9
ccv66 wrote:I don't think they'll do another diorama, but a maybe a shorter "build a figure"? I won't hold my breath for some peoplebusters but seems like there's some easy money with gb2 courtroom or the green slime RGB
Oh I really hope they do not do Court Room figures unless they plan on doing the Scoleri Brothers, but as far as I know they can't do any ghosts from GB2 do to some licensing issues. The GB line has done well, but I don't think it has been super profitable and I think they are banking on RGB carrying them into another few waves of figures. It's why they are doing a Stay Puft, who always sells, in the last series to give it a nice push.

I can see People Busters being done, but more likely to see Citizen Ghost variants instead. If they do another diorama, I would think it would be the containment unit either from RGB or from the first movie. What they really need is retail presence. If TRU had not gone out of business, I think we would already be hearing word of more figures to come. I hope they give us a season 1 Janine in her standard outfit, and then maybe a variant in a Ghostbusters uniform.
By ccv66
I'd love to see RGB containment unit diorama, but I don't think they'll commit to another 15 figures, though there's plenty to choose from. However to easy to adjust / reuse their molds to be done with there line. Hope I'm wrong but I'll buy what ever they put out
By ccv66
I'd love to see RGB containment unit diorama, but I don't think they'll commit to another 15 figures, though there's plenty to choose from. However to easy to adjust / reuse their molds to be done with there line. Hope I'm wrong but I'll buy what ever they put out
By Peter Venkman Jr.
I would really happy if DST did a build a figure wave. Although I did not collect any of the Mattel action figures released in 2016 with the parts to build the No Ghost logo, I did think that it was a nice feature that Mattel should done sooner. My first choice for a build a figure would be Ghash from the RGB episode Slimer, Come Home.
By gboy6
I’d like them to, at least, do the RGB containment unit before they start following everyone else with the BAFs. Since they’ve started the animated figures, that would be a perfect diorama to go with them. And if they make it future compatible with the extreme traps, that would make it a great way to make sure we keep supporting the line because we know what’s coming next.
By RutgerVO
Positives:
They actually did it, finally some new well scaled RGB figs that arent designed for playing (thats why we have playmobil & minimates) Clearly these figs were not intended as a RGB remake of the Original line. Caus then i would have much more to complain about :p

Less positives:
Am i color sensitive missing red or do i see a blue packaging on a RGB toy line ? Why isnt it a Kenner Purple? It didnt needed to be a remake of the original serie 1 line (lot of collectors were expecting that) but they could have given us something that would bring us back to our old toys.

And again no front figure pic only side pic like other GB figs starting from serie 6. I really liked that front side movie character pic. Gave it that extra touch when you display the box in your collection. Not everyone is displaying it on its left side.

Also i dont get the combo RGB figure with a movie firehouse diorama piece, that doesnt make any sense to me other then pushing this line towards the end. They couldnt find 6 more GB2 or variants to complete serie 6-10? Dana? Scoleri bro (license issue?) Granny? Tully normal clothing? other Janine? an improved Slimer? Liberty stat fig with gb mini figs? But DS has run out of ideas….. Why not start GB 3 female GB line with green heads (Citizen ghost e11) and give them new gb 1 suits and an old abandoned subway diorama piece wit a can of slime. That would make lots of sense, all 3 movies + 1 cartoon serie in one package !

So maybe 2 or 3 RGB exclusives with no acc thats it i guess.

I mean Slimer doesnt have any food acc !

Still DS have done well overall but i did expect more from a line that was able to steal the wrongs made by Matty and had plenty of time to find out what the fans really wanted.
Again we cant expect much more for these 25-30usd figs.
By Kingpin
I guess the choice of blue was just to make it visually distinct from the movie figures. As for no front image of the character... I guess they decided that there might not've been any screen shots in a high enough resolution to work for the printing, and that it would've cost extra to get someone to recreate the animation cels that could've been used as the character pictures.

I believe the decision to go for the Real Ghostbusters figures may have been in part an effort to keep the line alive, and to release one of their "must have" options they'd developed. It's also my understanding that there's a rights issue holding up the release of any figures based on the Ghostbusters II ghosts. It's also my understanding that they weren't able to get the rights to the 2016 Ghostbusters.

I don't think it's a case of running out of ideas, but of going with what they want to try release in case the series gets brought to an end earlier than expected, of what is likely to sell, and what they can get the licences for. They're probably mindful about doing too many varients, as that was one of the biggest complaints with MattyCollector.
By ccv66
Seems pretty picky to complain about packaging on a $24 item. Without rights to GB2 ghost, probably and easy sale to push RGB rather than Tully, Janine and Dana variants. Everything you said is right, just unrealistic expectations
By Wiggyof9
The complaints are a little... odd.

For one, they aren't trying to recreate the Kenner line. I don't need them to make the packaging purple instead because Kenner did purple. The RGB logo has a blue glow/background so they did blue. It's fine. This isn't a Kenner reissue.

I can see why you miss the front figure pic, but I don't think it is needed when the figure is right there staring at you. Perhaps it was deemed redundant.

The RGB figures make perfect sense with the fire house. Yes, it's a movie version but it's not like they were going to do a second one just to make it RGB colors. The RGB figures are a mix of cartoon and realistic looks, so they fit with a realistic fire house set just fine.

Yes, these figures were released to help boost the line and because they may be the last figures of the line (though look like we will see more). DST is a business afterall. They had a choice, release some mundane variants from GB2 like Luis Tully in a sweat or Janine in her green and black dress or the Judge, but Janine and Luis may have been the lowest selling figures of the line so far. It made good business sense to go the RGB route and made good sense as a fan of the line to get RGB figures now as opposed to killing the line with boring variants. Sadly, we can't get ghosts from GB2, including Slimer. I still do not know why we didn't get the subway ghost from GB1 though.

They can not do GB 2016 figures and I wouldn't want them to. I think they would be a line killer more than a saver. RGB figures were the best thing they could give us because if the line ends here, at least we got them, but sales from the RGB figures could very well save the line and give us another 5 series of figures. I do think we should have seen some accessories for Slimer though. Either food or his own little pack to go with the angry face.
By RutgerVO
Yes my last request was a bit odd with a gb 1 2 3 combo package. Ignore that one ::)

But like i said i also believe this isnt a reissue of Kenner line. Its completely based on the cartoon serie not toy line so i get the blue color still a purple color would have looked better and would have given RGB toy fans some relief.

Mattel's 9" Retro action figs also did have a purple cardboard but then again no RGB logo (not same logo like on Kenner, Mattel did had full RGB name on it). It seems having both purple packaging and a RGB kenner logo isnt possible maybe Hasbro rights issue?

I do prefer a front side movie / cartoon screen shot mainly for displaying purpose. Placing figs on their left side saves space but doesnt show us the actual figure in combo with front side screen shot which i prefer. Without it looks 'emptier even less valuable?
By RutgerVO
ccv66 wrote: December 28th, 2018, 2:26 pm Seems pretty picky to complain about packaging on a $24 item. Without rights to GB2 ghost, probably and easy sale to push RGB rather than Tully, Janine and Dana variants. Everything you said is right, just unrealistic expectations
Yes dont get me wrong i m very happy with this DS line, i already have the gozer temple complete with some additional Ds figures i didnt own when collecting Matty like Janine, marshmallowed Winston and Peter, improved Vigo and Janosz, Tully.

But some figures dont always look like their character so this front side pic gave an immediate comparison. It also reminded me of the Neca series. But gradualy we saw these changes, also no individual packaging on Terror dogs and series 6- 10 has no front side pic. Even some figs are missing important acc even have none acc.
For me thats DS saying they have earned enough and want to end with a BANG releasing these 6 RGB figs.
After this i dont see why they would add variants that wouldnt sell that much for sure not able to offer another 15 with a diorama.

But can someone explain me the production or releasing system they need to sell certain amount in order to start a new serie? Or could they start another 5 series RGB knowing they already started with their top-6 RGB fig. Then they should have ended with these top 6 being 4GB+slimer+marsh man? And given us 4 Green head GB (citizen ghost) + Sandhaim + Janine … instead?
Dont they need to gradualy build up towards the end of the line with the most popular ones?
By Wiggyof9
In an action figure line you traditionally need to balance each wave with top sellings characters and lower tier characters. For example, waves 1, 2, and 3 had the 4 main GBs, Slimer, Ray variant, Luis, Janine, and Dana. Louis and Dana in their possessed forms. If Janine, Dana, and Luis were all in wave one by themselves the line would have likely died or at least sold way less.

The 4 main GBs, Slimer, Stay Puft; these are all anchor charactets that sell the wave as a whole. You dont save your anchor characters for the end if you want longevity nor do you yhrow them all at the the start. Its a fine line. because you never know when a line will end due to poor sales. You also dont want too many variants.

The Temple series had the 4 main GBs in the first 2 waves, Slimer in the 3rd, and the main villians in the 4th. By that tine they already had some security so they made the final wave all ghosts, which were interesting figures in their own right.

In the Firehouse series the front of the line lacked greatly. We got Vigo, Janosz, and a lot of GB variants with no ghosts. Sales git week and they couldnt dip into the bag of ghosts to help it. So, for fear of ending the line, they released 2 full waves of anchor characters of RGB figures every fan has waited for. Had the GB2 series made it on its own merit (and had they been allowed to do ghosts it would have) these 6 figures would have been held back as anchors for the RGB series and split into 3 waves with 3 more lower tier characters.

Its not really a science, more of an art. Their are guidelines to how you construct a wave, but not rules. There are still figures to release though. Now, they can do Citizen Ghost variants as anchors (they are basically far more interesting versions if the grey suit variants). There are some big villians they can do from RGB like Peoplebusters, Boogeyman, Samhain, etc. Then they have RGB Janine which would sell better than movie Janine imo. RGB has way more material so doing these 6 RGB figures now isnt going to hurt future waves, it only serves to make them possible.

Edit: oh, and as for not releasing the terror dogs separately, that was a great move. For one, having Zuul and Vinz separately means losing one of the other figures in the line. It also would have meant people complaining that they had to buy the same figure twice if they wanted to complete the roof top set. Instead, it takes up one spot and you can but a second one for cheap if you got the TRU slim pack. Its win/win.

I think your issues with this line come from a MOCer perspective. As someone that opens all these up and displays them I think they have done a mostly decent job. The only accessories i feel should have been added are a desk and chair for Janine, an alternative head for Luis, lightning hands for Gozer, and food for Slimer.
By Chicken, He Clucked
MagicMan666 wrote:I ordered from nerdtoysuk.com. Found them the best at the moment.
My issue with them is they take payment straight away and charge a 20% fee if you cancel.
Plus, they can't guarantee stock either.

The other Diamond Select ranges are freely available in the UK, it's strange these are thin on the ground already.
I don't think they're particularly good quality models either. I like the Winston and Peter face sculpts, but Egon and Ray seem totally off, and the paint job looks sloppy.

Obv it's RGB so I gotta get my hands on them. :sigh:
By ccv66
Kinda hard to judge any of these until you get your hands on them. I'm happy with all 3 from this wave. Egon looks like he was hitting the gym, but I think they're good for the price point. Ray looks the most off, but I think it captures his character , smiling happy go lucky, even if his likeness is off.

...They nailed Egons hair
By slaysghosts
Anyone have any reviews or pictures to post.......haven't actually seen these in person and the pics/reviews are scarce..... From what little I've seen, its looking like a swing and a miss on DST part. That ab crunch is killing this entire line for me. Still have the Mattys as my go to collection.
By Wiggyof9
If you search YouTube there are a handful of video reviews.

I dont know why the ab-crunch is an issue. They are action figures. This type of joint is pretty common. The sculpts are way better than the cartoony Matty line (which i also own, because I thought it was all we would get in terms of figures). The articulation is better. Matty didnt even give use any kind of ab crunch, not even a t-joint. The paint is more detailed. The ghosts we got are full figures with much better detail. They gave us a full diorama of the roof top temple and a decent portion of the fire house. They gave us terror dogs and Gozer, which matty never did. The DST line is better in almost every way. They even gave us a possessed Ray head which Matty sculpted and never produced. Short of a handful of things, like a second head for Luis Tully and the stripes in his shirt, they have given us much more than matty.

To each his own i guess.
Kingpin liked this
By ccv66
Like being a chef, no matter how you cook it, someone won't like it. For the RGB series I would have preferred a smoother animated, cartoony look, but I never expected that. DST wanted re use molds and have the same style as the rest of the line. My biggest preference is not having a figure that costs $75 a piece. Nothing wrong with Matty, but the DST is a much bigger figure with a diorama piece for the same price as Mattel. With most people preferring DST quality. I can't stress the difference of looking at a picture vs having it hand, plus articulation is huge. I hated the photos of the terror dogs especially compared to my neca ones. That changed when I got it, the neca dogs are pretty much statues ,where the poses with the DST help bring it to life more so than accuracy. I'm sure kids would enjoy playing with figure that has more movement too, but then I never complained about my Kenner stuff
By slaysghosts
IMO, there's a way do to ab crunch and a way not to. There's characters that need ab crunch, and there's characters that don't. I do own some DST GBs, I'm all about their detail, quality, accessories, and scale. Just, after buying one and trying to sway myself, yeah, I'm team Matty at the moment. I thought the Real Ghostbusters would be the final push, but until I get to see some in person I'm not convinced. That's why I was hoping someone here had some pics or reviews they were getting ready to upload somewhere that could whet my appetite. That's all! Just passionate about my figure collection and enjoy conversing w/ other like-minded folks in the collectible communities.
By ccv66
I don't think any of lines have a clear sweep. They're a few things Matty did I preferred, not a big fan of the DST gb1 head sculps. The neca slimers is outstanding.. The ab crunch is more a personal preference. I'd actually prefer if Matty figures had the ab crunch, there torsos look a little long to me. There's handful of DST I have posed that the pack strap covers the ab crunch and you can't see it anyways. If your on the fence just order one. There not that much, I'm sure down the road you could sell it and not loose money. I would pay $20 just for the RGB pack. Head sculps look good , packs are top notch, bodies are the same and seems like no one can do glasses
By Chicken, He Clucked
There are some dubious complaints on Amazon about the Egon figure not looking like the box art or reveal models.

I find this crazy, because looking at the video of the released figure posted above, they've clearly improved the face mold of Egon, he's no longer angrily looking up, his nose isn't collapsed into his skull and he isn't gurning. It's a big improvement.

I'm hopeful they might have sorted Ray out too.
Kingpin liked this
By ccv66
I think it's the same Egon as the reveal. The mouth paint and eye brows are a light color so they don't stand out.. don't think they changed his nose, he's just wearing his glasses higher. Wouldn't mind a tweek on Ray's face sculp, but I wouldn't get your hopes up

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]