Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Jangonate
I mostly use Twitter for info. Game updates, movie news, box office results, etc. There's a way to navigate the nonsense. Facebook I have a rule that if you post absolute drivel or dumb political memes and I never have a meaningful exchange of ideas or conversations with you you're unfollowed or unfriended. Cleaning up those spaces has given me a lot of peace.
Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
Seth Rex wrote: January 20th, 2019, 12:28 pm I still remember on IMDB, supporting the 16 movie, and someone actually told me to go kill myself. Yeah, that actually happened.
I hope I'm not talking to a ghost?

Man, some people.
By timeware
A ghost talking in a Ghostbusters Fan Forum? Careful man, our proton rifle fingers are a tad...twitchy. Seriously though if someone told you that usually means they have bigger problems of their own or they're just being a professional ass hat.
deadderek liked this
By SpaceBallz
SSJmole wrote: January 20th, 2019, 7:14 am I mentioned the downplaying of the sexist stuff and basically acting like it didn't happen. Saying Leslie Jones isn't allowed to have an opinion or the fact anything positive to ATC = diwnvoted. It's more subtle here but it does seem like same ideals to me
The upvote/downvote buttons will always be there, I wouldn't take it to heart. Sometimes I hit the downvote button if they tell a bad joke lol. People aren't as blinded as they were a few years ago, most people know that a few disturbed loud mouths speak over the majority and that's what the media focuses on for clicks. I wasn't a fan of ATC but that doesn't mean I hate women, I was just pissed that (as a hardcore GB fan) after 30 years they decided to try and wipe the slate clean with a reboot/remake.
Seth Rex wrote:I still remember on IMDB, supporting the 16 movie, and someone actually told me to go kill myself. Yeah, that actually happened.
It was probably a 15 year old.
Last edited by SpaceBallz on January 20th, 2019, 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
savintheday, back, deadderek liked this
By SpaceBallz
montclaire wrote: January 20th, 2019, 10:52 am Just throwing this out here, but at the end of the day it's entertainment. The job of the studio is to give the audience what they want and make a profit. The audience knows this, and can be very unruly at times when they feel as though they aren't being catered to. This is the monster that Hollywood has created.

As for Leslie Jones, she has every right to speak her mind. However, we can't always voice our opinion without consequence. Throwing herself back into the ring with thousands of trolls is a good example of the poor judgement that surrounded ATC. It's one thing for fans to be vulgar and rude, but the studios used to put a lid on that kind of stuff when it came to the actors and production crew. Fans looked at ATC as more than just a movie, and the crew only confirmed that through their actions.

Someday GB will be a course study in how NOT to handle a film property.
I heard she deleted the tweet? Maybe the studio put a gag order on her like they did with Ernie.
By Dr._P_Venkman
Paul Feig set out to make a Ghostbusters SPOOF movie. He pitched a TERRIBLE SCRIPT to Sony, where Amy Pascal then got the rights to actually call the film Ghostbusters. She managed Reitman out, and handed the reigns over to Feig, a "Feminist".

Now, what is a "Feminist"? A feminist is actually an Equalitist. Someone who, dispite their gender wants men and women to be equal. Was "Ghostbusters: Answer the call" Equalitist?
All men were bumbling fools or bullies.
Whereas the 1983 original had strong, out spoken women. You know what it also had that the reboot didn't have? A great script, excellent improvisation and class. That's why it's a classic.
DO NOT TRY TO EXCUSE A SHIT FILM WITH SOCIAL JUSTICE.
We've been asking for a gender dynamic sinse Kylie in Extreme, so don't play that card.

Gender, age, race, religion...Credit where credit is due.

We might have had egg on our face if the film was a box office smash with rave reviews. But it wasn't. Was that to do with gender or was it because the film was a poorly written, misdirected attempt to even a gender issue that didn't exist in the first place.

Go on, make me out to be a woman hater I dare you.
Davideverona, back, SpaceBallz and 2 others liked this
By Alphagaia
No, I know what Twitter is ;-) I made a joke.

There is so many things wrong with P_Venkmans angry assessment of ATC I do not even know where to begin. I can understand that you didn't want a reboot and disliking it for it's story, but only the men are bumblings fools? The women are as well! Erin even kills a person by accident, slips on slime, fails to open doors, they blow stuff up, give a ghost a nuke, etc. The majors flunkie is a bully, and the first ghost is a female serial killer. How's that for a bully? Now if you don't like that everybody is the comic relief I can understand that, but saying only the man do stupid stuff is looking at the movie from the wrong perspective, and forcing politics upon a movie that just wants to entertain. Yes, Feig prefers putting female as leads in his movies because he finds they are underrepresented, but the movie, just like his others he makes are aimed at the whole audience and not just the females, and doesn't promote that message on screen.
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 20th, 2019, 3:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SSJmole, Sav C, back and 1 others liked this
By back
Paul Feig set out to make a Ghostbusters SPOOF movie. He pitched a TERRIBLE SCRIPT to Sony, where Amy Pascal then got the rights to actually call the film Ghostbusters. She managed Reitman out, and handed the reigns over to Feig, a "Feminist".

Now, what is a "Feminist"? A feminist is actually an Equalitist. Someone who, dispite their gender wants men and women to be equal. Was "Ghostbusters: Answer the call" Equalitist?
All men were bumbling fools or bullies.
Whereas the 1983 original had strong, out spoken women. You know what it also had that the reboot didn't have? A great script, excellent improvisation and class. That's why it's a classic.
DO NOT TRY TO EXCUSE A SHIT FILM WITH SOCIAL JUSTICE.
We've been asking for a gender dynamic sinse Kylie in Extreme, so don't play that card.

Gender, age, race, religion...Credit where credit is due.

We might have had egg on our face if the film was a box office smash with rave reviews. But it wasn't. Was that to do with gender or was it because the film was a poorly written, misdirected attempt to even a gender issue that didn't exist in the first place.

Go on, make me out to be a woman hater I dare you.
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
:)
Last edited by back on January 20th, 2019, 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr._P_Venkman liked this
By Slimered
I hope Leslie Jones' anger results in Sony trying to keep on good terms with her and the other female Ghostbusters, by hiring them to cameo in Ghostbusters 2020. Let's see alternate versions of Patty, Erin and co.
SSJmole, Alphagaia liked this
By SSJmole
Alphagaia wrote: January 20th, 2019, 3:07 pm No, I know what Twitter is ;-) I made a joke.

There is so many things wrong with P_Venkmans assessment of ATC I do think even know where to begin. I can understand that you didn't want a reboot and disliking it for it's story, but only the men are bumblings fools? The women are as well! Erin even kills a person by accident, slips on slime, fails to open doors, they blow stuff up, give a ghost a nuke, etc. Now, if you don't like that everybody is the comic relief I can understand that, but saying only the man do stupid stuff is looking at the movie from the wrong perspective, and forcing politics upon a movie that just wants to entertain. Yes, Feig prefers putting female as leads in his movies because he finds they are underrepresented, but the movie, just like his others he makes are aimed at the while audience and not just the females, and doesn't promote that message on screen.
This. Plus ironically one the most intelligent people in the whole thing is rowan look how he figured out the lines before everyone , killed himself knowing he'd resurrect. He's actually a really intelligent character. The only make that was that way was Kevin but he was meant to be as he's a twist obbthechot dumb receptionist we always see.

The movie is great. The problem tone wise is the times imo. Compare comedies in the 80s to today. Today they have a different feel and flow. Ghostbusters is a mix of genres too like others. I've said it before so I'll say it again. Look at the marvel movies. They make billions. But say Thor Ragnarok, how many jokes were in it? It literally starts with making jokes as a giant enemy has him captured. That's how this was.

Saying it's a spoof of Ghostbusters isn't true at all. What they did and in my opinion did well was they made a MODERN Ghostbusters. I love the 1984 one but some of it doesnt hold up today. That's ok though as it's a classic. But the new one followed the current movie trend and mixed in superhero elements as that's the big thing. Let's look at it structurally :

It starts like the original. A scene that sets up ghosts are real and scare people. That makes sense it's a good start. But notice it's less scary than the 1980s opening and ghosts are more cartoonish like goosebumps movie. That's modern twist on it as age guidelines now are stricter than the 1980s no smoking , no ghost head ect...

Then we cut to Erin she is the audience surrogate. She is the every girl. She is awkward , she is just trying to do her job and gets pulled into this world. Replace her with a male and that's pretty much your Peter Parker archetype. This is a common one in movies today that are superheroes.

Eventually we see them all in subway introducing us the other audience surrogate. Patty she gets to ask the questions that help us the audience understand the science as she does that well.

Later we see them comically try their new technology and it fails hilariously. Really is it much different to say :
https://youtu.be/vQEkcPeYsx0 or iron man learning? No it's not. It's a tropevin a lot of hero stuff now days.

Then you have the concert scene. This is them showing they've gotten better so we rally behind them. In comic films its usually a lieutenant or big brute. Here it's a giant flying monster ghost. It works too we see them getting better.

City is frozen , this is the threat showing us they are the only ones who can save us. That makes sense this the big heros choice moment. That leads to them going one on one with the big bad.

During this final fight we have all the hero tropes. Big CGI light that goes into sky , sacrifices in the form of giving up their car this can be loosing a suit , a gadget or something this film it's the car. Then we have Heroes go through portal with a fake out about possible death (see iron man in avengers) , celebration and teaser of more to come

See that's the point some will hate and I get it but Ghostbusters was 1980s highest grossing films? E t , star wars , batman , back to the future. And more they were focused for the most part on the adventure and freedom from "the man" that's why Ghostbusters has sticking it to Walter Peck , back to the future has the principal , star wars has the empire trying to control you , Indiana Jones has him been rebellious. But at the same time there's no clear "this is the genre" which is good leads to more freedom but most elements of Ghostbusters are products of the time , they even have the scrawny nerd looser type as let's face it Louis Tully has a lot in common with George McFly as nerds were also something to mock in that era.

Cut to 2016 Ghostbusters. The biggest movies of 2010s? Star wars , infinity war , Jurassic world , avengers , black panther , age of Ultron , iron man 3 and more , notice a trend? It's dominated by superheroes, resurgence of old properties ect. Ghostbusters falls into this. It's bringing back and old property , it's about heroes and the big summer blockbuster. That's what they were hoping for. If your not the big trending Sumner blockbuster type now days you don't do that well. A lot of these have big political stances or messages too. They played up some of that as everyone is.

Basically if you went in expecting 1980s Ghostbusters in 2016 then you would be disappointed. It's making the series relevant in the current climate. That's what they tried and were banking on. Age raitings and social changes means they had to make a different type of movie. They mixed superhero with comedy with action on a supernatural backdrop. And it was great.

Look at current film they teased and the rumours. Old run down car with classic logo?

Kid main characters to show fear and help younger viewers enjoy the world?

Possible older characters will appear but maybe not all?

I don't expect the new one to feel like 80s either I expect it to feel like Jurassic world or force awakens. Which Jurassic world didn't feel like Jurassic park 1 at all. But nostalgia and cool action stuff makes people foreget. And that's ok I like Jurassic world.

All I'm saying is 2016 tried something it was a clever strategy as I'd it had been successful it could have been a goldmine. Now yes the negative sexist backlash hurt the film. That's a fact. As it couldn't use nostalgia to hook you or vetvits messages across when it had to over come overwhelming negativity before anyone had even seen it. Look at how the world works now. Movies trend , when I was a kid it was adverts + word of mouth. Now it's social media. Everyone wants likes on Facebook or Twitter ect. And if they think saying "I like this movie" or "in going to watch this movie" will hurt their online stock they won't admit it a d maybe not even see it

A great example of this was Xbox. They messed up 1 E3 and it didn't matter. Word spread of the negativity and even when they fixed most of it before launch it didn't matter. The internet continued believing the old hate. Spreading the hate and they haven't even come close to ps4 numbers. Last generation they were on top for a long time and when they weren't it was still close.

The difference is when that happens to a movie they can't afford to win people back 5 years later as if it hasn't got money in 6 months it's over , it's near impossible for dvd and Blu-ray to save it. That's what happened. Hate spread hate creating more hate to the point no one wanted to see it.

If everyone online who claims to have seen it to base their hatred on fact had actually seen it , it gave made money. Don't doubt the hate by the trolls effected it. It did. But a spoof or badly made movie it wasn't. It was just repurposing the ideas into a new modern film that tried to move genres. That works alien to aliens , fallout 2 to 3 ect... This failed because of the targeted and vicious campaign against it online by trolls and bullies. Not everyone who hated is that but enough are to spread it to mainstream.
back, devilmanozzy liked this
By Styrofoam_Guy
So much traffic and excitement for the new movie.

Also so many predictions and announcements of what people want out of the new movie. People want it in NYC some want it on the farm, some want the teenagers, some hate the idea of the teenagers, Some want the original cast, others have no problem with them being there to hand off the franchise to the next generation etc etc

Everyone can not have their wish come true so I think a lot of people will be disappointed with the outcome.

As someone said, Sony is in it to make money. The movie has a budget. If it is cheaper to use CGI vs practical effects I am fairly sure they would go for cheaper no matter what people want.

Just because Jason is a fan of the franchise is not automatically a good thing. Star Trek II was directed by someone who had no idea what Star Trek was. Star Trek Nemisis was written by as Star Trek fan and that is one of the most hated Trek movies. George Lucas directed the Star Wars Prequels and that did not go well.

I do hope the script is fresh, unique and interesting enough that Bill Murray will say "Yes I want to be involved"
philmorgan81 liked this
By montclaire
Kingpin wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:58 pm
montclaire wrote: January 20th, 2019, 3:20 pm Is the Ecto-1 in the teaser CGI? If not, do we know whose was used?
Everything currently points to it being the 1984 filming car.

Hopefully that is "movie magic" rust and grunge then and not Sony leaving the screen used car to rot again after a 100k restoration. Is the windshield still leaking?
By montclaire
Slimered wrote: January 20th, 2019, 4:11 pm I hope Leslie Jones' anger results in Sony trying to keep on good terms with her and the other female Ghostbusters, by hiring them to cameo in Ghostbusters 2020. Let's see alternate versions of Patty, Erin and co.

I know it's a movie about ghosts but let the dead rest already. I do not want them to touch this with a 10 meter cattle prod.
By philmorgan81
Styrofoam_Guy wrote: January 20th, 2019, 5:46 pm So much traffic and excitement for the new movie.

Also so many predictions and announcements of what people want out of the new movie. People want it in NYC some want it on the farm, some want the teenagers, some hate the idea of the teenagers, Some want the original cast, others have no problem with them being there to hand off the franchise to the next generation etc etc

Everyone can not have their wish come true so I think a lot of people will be disappointed with the outcome.

As someone said, Sony is in it to make money. The movie has a budget. If it is cheaper to use CGI vs practical effects I am fairly sure they would go for cheaper no matter what people want.

Just because Jason is a fan of the franchise is not automatically a good thing. Star Trek II was directed by someone who had no idea what Star Trek was. Star Trek Nemisis was written by as Star Trek fan and that is one of the most hated Trek movies. George Lucas directed the Star Wars Prequels and that did not go well.

I do hope the script is fresh, unique and interesting enough that Bill Murray will say "Yes I want to be involved"

So true no matter how it is executed there are always going to be some disappointment with something this anticipated from a beloved property. You don't need to look any further then the current Star Wars films to know that. For me personally I am just happy enough to be seeing a continuation of the original films moving forward. I know there will probably be a lot of venom shot from both barrels on all sides as 2020 approaches. (Boy it's going to be a long year. ;) ) but Absolutly nothing can kill my excitement for this film. :):):)

One way or another weather it has teenagers cast, takes place in a small town, or in New York. No matter what the movie actually is I have a feeling we are in for a hell of a ride. :):):)

Oh and I think we can all agree a lot of traffic and fun discussion is a good thing. :):):)
By mrmichaelt
Ghostbusters is how I learn about the geography of New York so more new locations used for this movie, the better. :P
Davideverona wrote: January 20th, 2019, 3:14 pm I think we should talk about Ghostbusters 3 here... Speaking of wich. .. Shouldn't this thread be moved in that section?
It's funny, I asked Kingpin that a few weeks/month ago if these scattered GB3 threads should be culled from the general and ATC areas and put in their own section.
Sav C, robbritton liked this
By deadderek
Outside of the News thread, it's my understanding this is the 1st thread about GB3 being CONFIRMED. I see no reason for it to be merged.
By Coover5
Since there seem to be several comments about the car I'll say this...

I'm sure the restored car is fine. Rust is usually a powder. Spray paint is a washable paint. I believe a car being keyed is a type of chalk or tape. Windshields are "cracked" by similar techniques as cars being keyed. It's rare real junk cars are ever used in films. There's a chance it could be an intentionally damaged car for production like the pre-conversion Cadillac in GB1 but if it's the original Ecto I'm sure it's all magic.
Sav C liked this
By robbritton
mrmichaelt wrote: January 20th, 2019, 8:49 pm Ghostbusters is how I learn about the geography of New York so more new locations used for this movie, the better. :P
Ha! I was hoping for exactly the same! I went for the first time in November and it was ridiculous how much I was able to get along geographically based on my knowledge of the Ghostbusters movies alone!
mrmichaelt, Kingpin, Sav C liked this
By SSJmole
robbritton wrote: January 21st, 2019, 1:07 am
mrmichaelt wrote: January 20th, 2019, 8:49 pm Ghostbusters is how I learn about the geography of New York so more new locations used for this movie, the better. :P
Ha! I was hoping for exactly the same! I went for the first time in November and it was ridiculous how much I was able to get along geographically based on my knowledge of the Ghostbusters movies alone!
For me it was free roaming in the open world Spider-Man games lol I can see people using Ghostbusters too though. I'm just better when I have a game so I can explore plot routes and use locations as guides for which way to go lol
By mrmichaelt
deadderek wrote: January 20th, 2019, 9:48 pm Outside of the News thread, it's my understanding this is the 1st thread about GB3 being CONFIRMED. I see no reason for it to be merged.
I wasn't talking about merging. Just making a new section and moving threads about Hellbent, all versions of III up to Alive Again, and this 2020 one there instead of having to hunt for them amid GB1 and GB2 threads in the General section or in the ATC section.
seekandannoy, deadderek liked this
Positron Props GB1 Pack Build

Awesome!! Good luck on your build! Tom's shell i[…]

Trailer posted for release for the Frozen Empire u[…]

Trivia, callbacks etc I noticed so far *Cover A *[…]

Matty Trap - Replace Pedal?

Has anyone successfully transferred the pedal elec[…]