Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Slimered
Wiggyof9 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 12:59 am
Slimered wrote: January 21st, 2019, 4:26 pm
I'm not letting it rest until the Answer The Call team get the recognition that Sony should be giving them. It's the principle; in the same way that the next Doctor in Doctor Who must be female, the female Ghostbusters should be done a second time in some form or other too, in order to establish that female Ghostbusters is a successful concept and not a failure after one feature-length movie attempt.
Sony gave GB2016 a ton of attention. They made all the old cast appear in it. They had the press say nothing but good things about it. They spun every product placement synergy deal they could. Ernie Hudson even had to back track in what he originally said about it being a reboot. They spun any negativity as just the rantings of evil sexist fan boys. Now that the movie failed you think they need to give them more attention?
Yeah, to show that female Ghostbusters wasn't a mistake.
Styrofoam_Guy liked this
By montclaire
Slimered wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 4:19 pm
Wiggyof9 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 12:59 am

Sony gave GB2016 a ton of attention. They made all the old cast appear in it. They had the press say nothing but good things about it. They spun every product placement synergy deal they could. Ernie Hudson even had to back track in what he originally said about it being a reboot. They spun any negativity as just the rantings of evil sexist fan boys. Now that the movie failed you think they need to give them more attention?
Yeah, to show that female Ghostbusters wasn't a mistake.

There is reality, and then there is how you are viewing the success of ATC. It was a horrendous mistake for a multitude of reasons. You apparently liked it while many others did not. There are also a lot of things that I like, but the majority of people do not. That doesn't make me wrong, just of a minority opinion. It becomes wrong when I repeatedly expect or demand for everyone to share my minority opinion.

I am a fan of healthy conversation but you are not going to be satisfied unless everyone validates your opinion, which isn't a realistic outcome here.
Last edited by montclaire on January 22nd, 2019, 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
savintheday, JWils23, SpaceBallz and 3 others liked this
By SSJmole
Sav C wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 4:42 pm I don't see any reason yet to use ATC as a proxy for GBIII's budget.
It was a modern ghostbusters film using modern effects is why I did. It's the closet thing we have to judge it. As I would assume Sony would want it to be a big release and look the best it can.

I wasn't using it in a bad way sorry if that was unclear.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Eh, I'm just expecting a much leaner budget, that's all. I doubt we'll see anything as effects-extravagant in GBIII as the third act in ATC. I suspect we will probably see less stunts. The salaries may be lower, too (McCarthy, I believe, made $15 million, and Feig, $10). You're not wrong for using ATC as a proxy--my reason for objection stems from my personal belief that GBIII will look very different from ATC. Time will tell. :)
SSJmole liked this
By Quon44
I just hope they don't turn it into "extreme ghostbusters"
And hopefully Sony or mattel put out some merchandise for the kids.
Because let's be honest gb1 was intended to be a somewhat light hearted scifi comedy. Instead it became a monumental adventure that kids of all ages enjoyed and sought out toys and costumes. And eventually turned into reenactments, then independent tributes to the movies.
One time liked this
By philmorgan81
Sav C wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 7:11 pm
deadderek wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 10:06 am I'll bet the farm him and Dan sign on. The only wildcard is Murray. :/
Once it goes into principle filming, I'm sure Bill will show up!
I am thinking the same thing. I know even those closest to him call him the Murricane, but they have also said that he is a sweet caring human being. Part of me thinks that he would sign on in respect to Harold Ramis. They may have had a "feud" or years long disagreement over Groundhog Day, but in the end he showed up and said good bye to a dear friend. It just seems like something he might do. :):):)
Sav C liked this
By Wiggyof9
Sav C wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 6:45 pm Eh, I'm just expecting a much leaner budget, that's all. I doubt we'll see anything as effects-extravagant in GBIII as the third act in ATC. I suspect we will probably see less stunts. The salaries may be lower, too (McCarthy, I believe, made $15 million, and Feig, $10). You're not wrong for using ATC as a proxy--my reason for objection stems from my personal belief that GBIII will look very different from ATC. Time will tell. :)
I feel like they could go either way. Either they will go all out and try to make this an action block buster or they will scale it way back and focus on story, comedy, and characters. Id rather the latter. When I think Ghostbusters I think of regular people who are scared and have no idea what they are doing just trying to make some money and use the skills they learned to save the world. I dont think of action heroes who can do all kinds of moves.

I would like for them to introduce rhe multiverse concept in this movie as well. I think audiences would be qay more willing to accept other else worlds if they got introduced to the idea in a 3rd chapter of the main universe. Infact i think it would be awesome if at the end of this movie they did a surprise reveal of the ATC crew in the post credits, perhaps communicating via some portal that Holtzman made. I think Leslie Jones may have slammed the door on that one though after her comments.
By philmorgan81
I really think quite a bit of collaboration has gone on with Ivan, The Studio and Ghost Corps as of late and during the production of ATC. Even Ghost Corps and IDW worked real close together to bring out 101 and Crossing Over. From what I've heard Ghost Corps even had the guys at IDW give some creative input into the possible series Ecto Force. There could be the same thing with this upcoming movie, maybe making the events in the comic cannon. Again I am sure they won't go out of their way to reference specific events, but I am pretty sure since the story takes place in present time they won't go out of their way to discredit them either. :):):)
Last edited by philmorgan81 on January 22nd, 2019, 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
By Davideverona
The first words Jason said were: "I want to make this movie for the fans". So I'm not worried at all.

Ivan even confirmed the passing of the torch scenario.
Right now Jason is focused on casting the new characters, only THEN he'll call the originals. He said he wants this movie to unwrap like a present, if I'd be him I'd keep this particular announcement for last.
By Wiggyof9
I think he probably wants to get the new cast settled so that he can approach Bill wity an fully realized idea. We all know Dan and Ernie are on board so he can easily story board their characters without 100% confirming them.

I hope they keep in the idea that Winston went to schook and got his PhD while working with the Ghostbusters. That would be neat to see Winston do some techobabble in this and not just Ray.
By Davideverona
Noticed a curious pattern with the last GB movies.

ATC: first rumors in August 14, officially announced in October 14. That's 2 months. Cast revealed in January 15. That's 2 and half months and they didn't have a conpleted script.

GB20: first rumors in November 18, officially announced in January 19. Two months again. BUT they have a finished script, a teaser and a projected release date.

I think we'll hear some casting confirmation within a month.

UPDATE

A little detective work.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Papsidera

This guy did most of the Jason Reitman's castings.

https://actorsaccess.com/projects/?view ... =11&page=1

Rust City was casting on January 16th.
By back
I just hope they don't turn it into "extreme ghostbusters"
Agreed! It was a great toon for the hardcore GB fan, but othersise a bomb. Just so many character flaws (personal opinion). :sigh:
However... The thought of Teaching or Passing down knowledge like that to others to bust... Heck ya!
A good example.....
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1230164/?r ... lmg_prd_26
.......... remember these guys? :)
And damn, there own music video, fairly badass I might add ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txh7i2nzfuk
:cool:
By mrmichaelt
Davideverona wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 1:48 am Noticed a curious pattern with the last GB movies.

ATC: first rumors in August 14, officially announced in October 14. That's 2 months. Cast revealed in January 15. That's 2 and half months and they didn't have a conpleted script.

GB20: first rumors in November 18, officially announced in January 19. Two months again. BUT they have a finished script, a teaser and a projected release date.
Interesting pattern. But I'll contend, "GB20" may have been pitched as way back as 2016. Food for thought:

On April 28, 2016, it was reported in the EMPIRE June 2016 issue (#324), Ivan Reitman commented, "There's another, yet-to-be-announced live-action film, which is "coming along really well."

On July 14, 2016, Ivan Reitman confirmed the movie is in the middle of being written and will probably have both men and women on the team. "And we're in the middle of doing that right now...Probably both. They're being written."

On July 20, 2017, during the Ghostbusters 101 panel, Ivan Reitman reaffirmed there is a new live action film also in the works. "And of course, a new live action film that sort of um helps this..."

And of course, on November 13, 2018,Aykroyd on The Big Interview with Dan Rather.
Davideverona wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 1:48 amI think we'll hear some casting confirmation within a month.

UPDATE

A little detective work.

Great find!
deadderek liked this
By Kingpin
Quon44 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 7:22 pm I just hope they don't turn it into "extreme ghostbusters"
Something analogous to Extreme Ghostbusters is the only way forward in the long run, Dan, Ernie and Bill are too old to be convincingly running around with heavy ghostbusting equipment anymore. A new team of younger apprentices makes complete sense in monetising the franchise again, and giving it longevity.
deadderek, SSJmole, Alphagaia and 5 others liked this
By Davideverona
mrmichaelt wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 6:33 am
Davideverona wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 1:48 am Noticed a curious pattern with the last GB movies.

Interesting pattern. But I'll contend, "GB20" may have been pitched as way back as 2016. Food for thought:

On April 28, 2016, it was reported in the EMPIRE June 2016 issue (#324), Ivan Reitman commented, "There's another, yet-to-be-announced live-action film, which is "coming along really well."

On July 14, 2016, Ivan Reitman confirmed the movie is in the middle of being written and will probably have both men and women on the team. "And we're in the middle of doing that right now...Probably both. They're being written."

On July 20, 2017, during the Ghostbusters 101 panel, Ivan Reitman reaffirmed there is a new live action film also in the works. "And of course, a new live action film that sort of um helps this..."

And of course, on November 13, 2018,Aykroyd on The Big Interview with Dan Rather.
Davideverona wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 1:48 amI think we'll hear some casting confirmation within a month.

UPDATE

A little detective work.

Great find!
I think you're right! Maybe this time they have been more clever: they shut Aykroyd's mouth down, let the writers do their job and only with a finished script they made the official announcement.

Tell me if I'm wrong: the casting process starts only when a script is ready and approved by the studio, right?
By Davideverona

UPDATE

A little detective work.

Great find!
I think you're right! Maybe this time they have been more clever: they shut Aykroyd's mouth down, let the writers do their job and only with a finished script they made the official announcement.

Tell me if I'm wrong: the casting process starts only when a script is ready and approved by the studio, right?
By SSJmole

Were these about this or the heavily talked about Channing Tatum Ghostbusters movie that was in development and was meant to be in the 2016 universe ?
By SSJmole
deadderek wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 8:09 am Movies have started filming without finished scripts but that's not the norm.
I'm 99% sure most Michael bay scripts are just a paper that says "Hot women , explosions , CGI" and in post production poor editors scramble the best they can to create a script out of whatever the hell he's created.

It's just a theory. Though after I hit post it's online. As everyone knows anything you read online is automatically fact.
deadderek, BatDan, Davideverona and 1 others liked this
By One time
Still can't really believe this is happening.

An actual Ghostbusters 3 after 31 years:

-directed by a superfan
-who happens to be Ivan Reitman's son
-who was in GB2
-featuring what's left of the original actors/actresses
-who wants the movie to be fanservice / gift to superfans in the style of GB1.
-wants the movie to unwrap like a present

Did all of that really happen? In 2018 it would have sounded like a cruel April fools joke.

This is possibly the single best thing that could have happened to this franchise post 2016.

It's time they ended on a high,... We've been waiting 36 years.

GB2 was ok, but those who saw it in the cinema in '89 were let down considerably, as were reviews at the time.

To give fans a (hopefully) worthy followup after 36 years has to be some kind of movie record.

It's so unbelievable.
Last edited by One time on January 23rd, 2019, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coover5, deadderek, dr.paul and 1 others liked this
By SSJmole
One time wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 8:56 amGB2 was ok, but those who saw it in the cinema in '89 were let down considerably, as were reviews at the time.
I admit 2 was my least enjoyed ghostbusters thing I've watched including cartoons , reboot and the comics I've read. 2 feels like absolute mess to me. Took things from real but then tried to match 1 too much to the point the statue of liberty scene feels like it's only there because stay puft and not in a fun way.

I do however I respect other people enjoying that film. But I'll admit whenever I'm in a ghostbusters mood I 99% of the time skip it. But if others enjoy it then more power to them.
By Jangonate
Heresy, I say! GB 2 is perfect in everyway!

Just kidding. I was 6 when I went to see it in theaters and I have fond memories of green slime sundaes from Hardees and those noisemakers they were handing out. I recognize that GB 2 isn't that great a film, but because it was the first I saw in theaters it'll always hold a place in my heart.
SSJmole, deadderek, savintheday and 1 others liked this
By Davideverona
SSJmole wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 8:43 am
deadderek wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 8:09 am Movies have started filming without finished scripts but that's not the norm.
I'm 99% sure most Michael bay scripts are just a paper that says "Hot women , explosions , CGI" and in post production poor editors scramble the best they can to create a script out of whatever the hell he's created.

It's just a theory. Though after I hit post it's online. As everyone knows anything you read online is automatically fact.
Some of his scripts added "twisting bunch of metal punch another twisting bunch of metal"
deadderek liked this
By One time
Jangonate wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 9:41 am Heresy, I say! GB 2 is perfect in everyway!

Just kidding. I was 6 when I went to see it in theaters and I have fond memories of green slime sundaes from Hardees and those noisemakers they were handing out. I recognize that GB 2 isn't that great a film, but because it was the first I saw in theaters it'll always hold a place in my heart.
I love GB2 because it's Ghostbusters and I have to. No joke. It was the original team, it was fun, cool, different, etc.

But it wasn't a work of art like GB1. I'd watch GB2 alone as a "guilty" pleasure. GB1 however I'd screen for a room full of a thousand clients with no hesitation.

For me GB2 rates slightly behind GBTVG but the game being interactive that isn't a surprise. ATC (which I do like) ranks way last just in front of XGB for me.

It's a shot in the dark but I'm hoping this new movie will rank just behind GB1 on the all time list.

As long as the rumors are not 100% true and it isn't a commercial kiddie film in the spirit of GB2 with a whole lot of young children.
By mrmichaelt
SSJmole wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 7:27 am Were these about this or the heavily talked about Channing Tatum Ghostbusters movie that was in development and was meant to be in the 2016 universe ?
No, in the same issue Reitman confirmed the Tatum-Pierce movie on was put on hold. (In the Sony leaks, it looks like Amy Pascal had it killed while they were negotiating Paul Feig's contract). So he was alluding to a different movie hence my theory. But to keep it a secret for nearly 3 years seems like quite a feat.
SSJmole liked this
By SSJmole
mrmichaelt wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 3:26 pm
SSJmole wrote: January 23rd, 2019, 7:27 am Were these about this or the heavily talked about Channing Tatum Ghostbusters movie that was in development and was meant to be in the 2016 universe ?
No, in the same issue Reitman confirmed the Tatum-Pierce movie on was put on hold. (In the Sony leaks, it looks like Amy Pascal had it killed while they were negotiating Paul Feig's contract). So he was alluding to a different movie hence my theory. But to keep it a secret for nearly 3 years seems like quite a feat.
Ah cool. I kept seeing ghostbusters fans saying in 2016 that the Channing Tatum one was the real movie not the fembusters. I assumed it was still going ahead

So nice if this has been worked on for 3 years. Nice. That means this has longer than most films to make before it's even been filmed. That could be good.

I haven't done the new update to the Spirits Unlea[…]

I ended up grabbing one of the 84 wands just t[…]

Matty PKE Question...URGENT

Depending on the price, it might be worth snatchin[…]

I have a full sized spirit pack, and I have the gh[…]