Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Slimered
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 8th, 2019, 6:12 pm
Slimered wrote: February 8th, 2019, 4:24 pm

They've already done that. John C Reilly and Steve Coogan are currently playing them.
No, that's a bio pic. That's different. They are playing the actual actors as they were in real life when they were making movies. That's different than recasting a character in a movie that was played by a dead actor.

What you are talking about would be equivalent to a Harold Ramis bio pic where someone played Ramis as he was in real life during the filming og Ghostbusters and there would be recreations of his scenes in the bio pic. Not the same thing we are talking about.
You said Stan and Ollie. John C Reilly and Steve Coogan are playing Stan and Ollie.
By Wiggyof9
Slimered wrote: February 9th, 2019, 4:17 pm
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 8th, 2019, 6:12 pm

No, that's a bio pic. That's different. They are playing the actual actors as they were in real life when they were making movies. That's different than recasting a character in a movie that was played by a dead actor.

What you are talking about would be equivalent to a Harold Ramis bio pic where someone played Ramis as he was in real life during the filming og Ghostbusters and there would be recreations of his scenes in the bio pic. Not the same thing we are talking about.
You said Stan and Ollie. John C Reilly and Steve Coogan are playing Stan and Ollie.
Please don't be so strictly literal and understand the difference.
By Davideverona
They are playing Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy in a biopic called Stan and Ollie who show the two legendary comedians playing Stan and Ollie in their swan song UK tour
By Kingpin
Egon: Dead or out of the picture?
Personally I feel that we've got to be realistic here, writing Egon out in a way other than having him passed away would feel a cop-out that'd never be resolved. It'd be a sad acknowledgement to have Egon pass away, and you then have to solve the quandry of who'd take over the high-science end of the Ghostbusters, but it is the only natural outcome (other than recasting) of Harold's passing.

Recast Egon?
If you can find an actor who can embody Harold's depiction of Egon, and looks like him, I'm open to the idea of recasting... But if you can't, well, then we circle back to the above.

You know what? I'd be open to the idea of getting Ted Danson to potentially replace Harold as Egon. He's got the right general physical facial structure of a prominent chin and nose, has a sorta Egon-like hair in some of his recent roles, has the tall/thin build, and whilst they're not dead-on, he opts for styles of glasses similar to those worn by Egon.

He's also used to deliving techno-babble, thanks to his time on C.S.I.. If there's one thing he doesn't quite fit the bill on, it's that his voice isn't as deep as Harold's... But you can't have everything.

Kevin Smith?
He would make a great Ghostbuster, but I don't see him being one of the new crew - Again, younger actors are more desireable when you're looking to launch a film franchise, Bill, Dan, Harold and Ernie were all in their 30s when they made the first movie, whilst Kevin is only a couple years short of 50. Even though the Pack props will likely be lighter than in 1984 and 1989, Ghostbusters is better suited to younger actors, who can carry the gear for extended periods, run about, and do minor stunts.
By BatDan
something occurred to me..nerd theory here.

going off of the notion that if the OG cast isnt going to be in this...and all things considered, also going off the notion that the 'teaser' is in some capacity a clue into the screenplay/story: and the new kids happen to stumble across this barn and discover the stuff.

i find that severely uncharacteristic in terms of the persona of Ray. I just believe someone like Ray, no matter how defunct Ghostbusters is, became, whatever. wouldn't just lock away the Ecto and the equipment in some shed/barn. He'd find anything in his power to keep dangerous and/or important documents/equipment such as the packs, ecto, traps, etc. as far out of reach from human hands and eyes as much as possible, I feel Ray would go as far as to make some bomb shelter/bunker to keep away the old stuff.

of course, this is just fun speculation/theory until we actually hear what the actual story is.

thoughts?
back liked this
By RichRyan1507
Kingpin wrote: February 9th, 2019, 6:58 pmEgon: Dead or out of the picture?
Personally I feel that we've got to be realistic here, writing Egon out in a way other than having him passed away would feel a cop-out that'd never be resolved. It'd be a sad acknowledgement to have Egon pass away, and you then have to solve the quandry of who'd take over the high-science end of the Ghostbusters, but it is the only natural outcome (other than recasting) of Harold's passing.

Recast Egon?
If you can find an actor who can embody Harold's depiction of Egon, and looks like him, I'm open to the idea of recasting... But if you can't, well, then we circle back to the above.

You know what? I'd be open to the idea of getting Ted Danson to potentially replace Harold as Egon. He's got the right general physical facial structure of a prominent chin and nose, has a sorta Egon-like hair in some of his recent roles, has the tall/thin build, and whilst they're not dead-on, he opts for styles of glasses similar to those worn by Egon.

He's also used to deliving techno-babble, thanks to his time on C.S.I.. If there's one thing he doesn't quite fit the bill on, it's that his voice isn't as deep as Harold's... But you can't have everything.

Kevin Smith?
He would make a great Ghostbuster, but I don't see him being one of the new crew - Again, younger actors are more desireable when you're looking to launch a film franchise, Bill, Dan, Harold and Ernie were all in their 30s when they made the first movie, whilst Kevin is only a couple years short of 50. Even though the Pack props will likely be lighter than in 1984 and 1989, Ghostbusters is better suited to younger actors, who can carry the gear for extended periods, run about, and do minor stunts.
Ted Danson as Egon? Kevin Smith as a Ghostbuster? That's... A stretch to say the least haha
By BatDan
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 9th, 2019, 7:19 pm Isnt Ray the same character that brought that very same dangerous equipment to a children's birthday party?
lol true. but he wouldn't have left it there at the party or let the kids fiddle with it, either. 'the proton pack is not a toy" "i guess he's probably right"

BUT again, that was a time when GB was defunct and doing parties to make money, and Ray was keeping the equipment in his possession
RichRyan1507 liked this
By timeware
Kevin Smith?
If they were keeping the video Game cannon wouldn't Kevin be around the right age to play the rookie? He's lost a ton of weight since the air plane incident so I can see him doing a bit more of the stunt work. It would be a great way to bring in the video game pack.
By deadderek
Sony is likely looking for way younger folks to pass the torch. Like Kingpin said he's pushing 50 so it's not likely he'd be a Ghostbuster.
Kingpin, SpaceBallz liked this
By Wiggyof9
BatDan wrote: February 9th, 2019, 7:35 pm lol true. but he wouldn't have left it there at the party or let the kids fiddle with it, either. 'the proton pack is not a toy" "i guess he's probably right"

BUT again, that was a time when GB was defunct and doing parties to make money, and Ray was keeping the equipment in his possession
Ray considered it when asked for a proton pack for a kid. Egon had to play the responsible adult and Ray said he was "probably right". I can see Ray surrounding himself with remnants of his past instead of locking it up in some bunker. Egon would lock it up in a bunker. In fact, Ray fits the part Egon played in EGB better than Egon does.
deadderek liked this
By Coover5
I love Kevin Smith but I don't want him to be a "new guy" if the character isn't a late bloomer. I loved the Trek '09 film series but the actors were hired for how good they would be in the first film but the wait between films and them being older meant you had folks like Zachary Quinto playing young Spock at 39 and John Cho playing young Sulu at 44 by the time Star Trek Beyond came around. I wondered how much life GB ATC would have considering Leslie Jones was already 49 at the premiere of the first film (but doesn't she look great for her age!). I'm not saying Kevin Smith wouldn't be a wonderful buster but this franchise isn't going to continue with a group of 50 somethings.
deadderek liked this
By timeware
I see your point. Writing him in as the rookie from the video game would be a good way to have him as "not the new guy" training other recruits or just running another franchise. Doesn't even have to be a huge role he could be the one that calls the OG's back to action when the new team/ teams cant handle things.
Coover5 liked this
By 80sguy
Kingpin wrote: February 9th, 2019, 6:58 pmRecast Egon?
It's not an impossible scenario. Men in black 3 had Josh Brolin portray a young Tommy Lee Jones as Agent Kay. Brolin looked and sounded like Jones, and it was most well received part of the film.
Kingpin wrote: February 9th, 2019, 6:58 pmYou know what? I'd be open to the idea of getting Ted Danson to potentially replace Harold as Egon. He's got the right general physical facial structure of a prominent chin and nose, has a sorta Egon-like hair in some of his recent roles, has the tall/thin build, and whilst they're not dead-on, he opts for styles of glasses similar to those worn by Egon.
I've haven't seen in anything, but just going by the pictures are I can see as Egon, just not necessarily Haorld Ramis Egon, if that makes sense.
By Kingpin
RichRyan1507 wrote: February 9th, 2019, 7:21 pmTed Danson as Egon? Kevin Smith as a Ghostbuster? That's... A stretch to say the least haha
I'm not assuming the latter, nor expecting the former, but what's such a stretch about Danson playing Egon? Someone with an appropriately-Egon look is a neccesary requirement if the production were looking to resurrect him for a final film (I'm not expecting it, but it isn't impossible). Danson's in the right age range, and one of the few actors I could think of who has "the look".
timeware wrote: February 9th, 2019, 8:03 pm If they were keeping the video Game cannon wouldn't Kevin be around the right age to play the rookie? He's lost a ton of weight since the air plane incident so I can see him doing a bit more of the stunt work. It would be a great way to bring in the video game pack.
Smith doesn't look anything like the Rookie, and there's no guarantee the Video Game will be canon with the new film.
By Davideverona
I prefer Egon to be dead. It could be accounted as a fact of life, not necessarily a big sacrifice. He was at a certain age and his heart stopped.

Having him out working somewhere else is not believable. A major supernatural crisis occurs and he stays in Geneva teaching? I think he would jump on the first airplane to go back helping his old friends.

Recasting? Naaahhh.... You make Creed 3 and all of a sudden Rocky Balboa is Al Pacino.
deadderek, RichRyan1507, back and 1 others liked this
By timeware
Kingpin wrote: February 10th, 2019, 4:12 am
RichRyan1507 wrote: February 9th, 2019, 7:21 pmTed Danson as Egon? Kevin Smith as a Ghostbuster? That's... A stretch to say the least haha
I'm not assuming the latter, nor expecting the former, but what's such a stretch about Danson playing Egon? Someone with an appropriately-Egon look is a neccesary requirement if the production were looking to resurrect him for a final film (I'm not expecting it, but it isn't impossible). Danson's in the right age range, and one of the few actors I could think of who has "the look".
timeware wrote: February 9th, 2019, 8:03 pm If they were keeping the video Game cannon wouldn't Kevin be around the right age to play the rookie? He's lost a ton of weight since the air plane incident so I can see him doing a bit more of the stunt work. It would be a great way to bring in the video game pack.
Smith doesn't look anything like the Rookie, and there's no guarantee the Video Game will be canon with the new film.
True he doesn't look like the rookie. Terrance Howard was replaced by Don Cheadle In Iron Man and they looked nothing alike. They could just explain it away by a bad couple of decades or Bill went back to college just to hang out with the rookie and they were partying this whole time.
By Slimered
Kingpin wrote: February 9th, 2019, 6:58 pm
Kevin Smith?
Kevin Smith is nearly 50? I thought he was only early thirties.
By YHSCraig
I think we need to take a look at the facts here; Harold Ramis has passed and SONY/Ghost Corps/Jason Reitman aren't going to do anything in this movie that might possibly send shockwaves of negative backlash through the movie going universe. That being said, I think it's safe to say that Egon will not be in this movie, but that doesn't mean that the character can't have a major impact on everything that's going on. Luke Skywalker plays a huge part in The Force Awakens but we don't see him until the last thirty seconds.

Knowing the kind of writer/director that Jason Reitman is, I am expecting this movie to have more character development and emotion than we have seen in the first two films, and those heart strings are going to get tugged a bit too.

I also don't think that this is going to be the "passing the torch" film that we all expected for years. The days of "4 new busters taking the mantle from the old guard" might be passed us. I'm expecting something more inventive and emotional that offers more closure than open ended possibilities for the franchise.
RichRyan1507, Dr.D, Kingpin and 3 others liked this
By RichRyan1507
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote: February 11th, 2019, 8:05 am I think we need to take a look at the facts here; Harold Ramis has passed and SONY/Ghost Corps/Jason Reitman aren't going to do anything in this movie that might possibly send shockwaves of negative backlash through the movie going universe. That being said, I think it's safe to say that Egon will not be in this movie, but that doesn't mean that the character can't have a major impact on everything that's going on. Luke Skywalker plays a huge part in The Force Awakens but we don't see him until the last thirty seconds.

Knowing the kind of writer/director that Jason Reitman is, I am expecting this movie to have more character development and emotion than we have seen in the first two films, and those heart strings are going to get tugged a bit too.

I also don't think that this is going to be the "passing the torch" film that we all expected for years. The days of "4 new busters taking the mantle from the old guard" might be passed us. I'm expecting something more inventive and emotional that offers more closure than open ended possibilities for the franchise.
^^ This^^. All day. This is why Jason had Ivan crying after going through the idea with him. I think it'd be a great way to cap it off al a Logan.

That's what I want to see. A Logan-esque movie. Super dramatic and emotional, great characters, a little dry sarcastic humor, etc... Kills a few or all of the originals off in a very palatable way and ends the reliance on the current characters, but allows for the possibility of one or two to survive and carry on the legacy with a new team of Busters if the studio decides to keep the universe going.

That's what I hope this movie is.
By Davideverona
I'm a bit undecided.

Watched all the Jason Reitman's movies (lyked them all) and I think, like many of you guys said, this will be a very character driven movie. Emotional, maybe heartbreaking.

BUT.

This is also Ghostbusters, so there will be ghosts to bust, maybe a big baddie to battle. Proton streams and traps to not look into. PKE meters buzzing.
Who will be doing all these things?

Could it be a "one man busting" movie? Ray going solo to help these little kids?
Remaining original Ghostbusters investigating the supernatural problems but undercover, without the grand reopening?

Or will it be a more traditional Ghostbusters movie, only with more heart?
By robbritton
RichRyan1507 wrote: February 11th, 2019, 8:17 am
CraigTHEOWL1 wrote: February 11th, 2019, 8:05 am I think we need to take a look at the facts here; Harold Ramis has passed and SONY/Ghost Corps/Jason Reitman aren't going to do anything in this movie that might possibly send shockwaves of negative backlash through the movie going universe. That being said, I think it's safe to say that Egon will not be in this movie, but that doesn't mean that the character can't have a major impact on everything that's going on. Luke Skywalker plays a huge part in The Force Awakens but we don't see him until the last thirty seconds.

^^ This^^. All day. This is why Jason had Ivan crying after going through the idea with him. I think it'd be a great way to cap it off al a Logan.

That's what I want to see. A Logan-esque movie. Super dramatic and emotional, great characters, a little dry sarcastic humor, etc... Kills a few or all of the originals off in a very palatable way and ends the reliance on the current characters, but allows for the possibility of one or two to survive and carry on the legacy with a new team of Busters if the studio decides to keep the universe going.

That's what I hope this movie is.
But it has to be predominantly a comedy. That’s what Ghostbusters is. It can’t suddenly be a super moving indie drama without seeming really off. And killing them off was never what Ghostbusters was about. The big joke is how they don’t die when unleashing all this ridiculous destruction. I know Bill is an old grouch who wants to be killed off, but they deserve better than a ‘gritty send off’. Those are so played out.

(I know that isn’t quite what you’re suggesting, just the idea of something that isn’t essentially light hearted worries me, is all!)
By philmorgan81
Oh I would be really suprised if they went some kind of dark Loganesque route with it even given Jason's style. I do agree that there will be some emotional moments, but it won't stray far from its comic roots. Take a real good look at the original movie. The things that made the comedy work so well was the use of levity in scary situations. I think we will be seeing more of that. I don't think we are going to see anything overly dark, but I don't think we will see anything watered down for a younger audience either. I beilieve that we will see something that will invoke a lot of good emotions.

I did wonder the same thing about maybe this isn't so much a passing of the torch as more of a closure to a chapter for the original characters. Going to be real fun to see wher it goes. :):):)
By RichRyan1507
That's exactly what I mean, though. To make a Logan-esque version of Ghostbusters, they'd simply have to dial the comedy up a bit, and dial the violence and language back a bit. It could be almost as dark and still work well. It would be brilliant!

I also don't mind if one or two of the OGs get killed off over and above Egon. They have to go sometime, and it's better to do it before another one of them dies in real life, a la Star Wars.
By philmorgan81
I can totally see the appeal in something like that. It difinately isn't impossible. It would really be epic. I am just saying I would be very suprised if they made the decision to go that direction. I have been thinking about the original 2 movies and if I recall right, even though the stakes were high in both films no one was ever killed during the massive ghost invasions. Unless you count the ghosts that were already dead. ;) I mean Ghostbusters isn't Star Wars so I can see the surviving characters retiring, but not nessicarily killed off in the course of the film. Not impossible but again I would be really suprised if they did that. :):):)
By robbritton
Yeah, it still feels slightly off when Stay Puft smashes the helicopter in the video game. Actual death doesn’t quite sit right in this particular series, which is ironic given the subject! I can see how it may need to apply to Egon, but the others can just retire and that works fine.
By Coover5
Star Wars, Logan and Ghostbusters have the same problem in that death is just a hurdle. In Star Wars characters come back as force ghosts, in Ghostbusters ghosts are all around and having any character return as a ghost is possible and Logan is comic book sourced and who cares who dies in those? Everyone's died 100 times in comics and come back. Death can't be the ultimate price when it has so little value. I wouldn't be surprised if Ray was a ghost for the entirety of GB20.
RichRyan1507 liked this

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]