Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By timeware
I think with the recent Walmart commercial Slimer's going to be a given. I wouldn't think that they would give him all that attention and not use him for GB20. More then likely Slimer's appearance in the commercial should be what he looks like in the new movie.

As for other ghosts I would really like to see something unexpected and horrifying done with a simple sheet.
By Wiggyof9
timeware wrote: February 12th, 2019, 9:41 pm I think with the recent Walmart commercial Slimer's going to be a given. I wouldn't think that they would give him all that attention and not use him for GB20. More then likely Slimer's appearance in the commercial should be what he looks like in the new movie.

As for other ghosts I would really like to see something unexpected and horrifying done with a simple sheet.
That's basically the 2016 Slimer with slightly different colors and less transparent. But it does look better than in the actual movie where he was way too brightly color.
By Wiggyof9
I will say, I like how Slimer was characterized in GB2016... at first. He was malicious and the GBs f**** up by letting him take the car and they had to walk the rest of the way now. That's good GB humor. Then they made girl Slimer with a 1950's hair cut... and thats when it became a parody of Ghostbusters again. Like every other joke in the film, they took it a step too far.
By deadderek
I'm so excited these days...seems every few days we get tidbits on the new movie!

Can't wait for the inevitable leaks! :P
Kingpin liked this
By Coover5
Since the production designer has only been working on GB20 for a week I've got a feeling I'm a long way off from seeing a teaser for the equipment (new and/or old) but I keep my fingers crossed.
By Sav C
Coover5 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 7:14 pmSince the tone of GB20 is being discussed I'd like to know: How old were you when you first saw Ghostbusters and did you find the film scary?
I was almost certainly five when I first saw the films, although I could've been a month younger than five. I remember being equally terrified of the library ghost and of the skulls on spears. I was probably scared of other things, like Zuul in the refrigerator, the Terror dogs getting Louis and Dana, and the ghost train. Oh, and Vigo attempting to possess Oscar, and Oscar being out on the ledge.
deadderek liked this
By Davideverona
Coover5 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 11:23 pm Since the production designer has only been working on GB20 for a week I've got a feeling I'm a long way off from seeing a teaser for the equipment (new and/or old) but I keep my fingers crossed.
Well, he SAID that a week ago. For all we know, pre production could have been going steadily for the last months. Also, he said "Monday new ride" showing the Ecto 1. That could have been the start of the location scouting.

Speaking of that.... How much time before they have to ask all the permissions to shoot in public roads (you know, blocking trafic etc)
deadderek liked this
By robbritton
I was six when the first one came out and eleven when the second came out, I saw both around release and was scared of the library and taxi ghosts in the first and the heads on sticks in the second. My son was six when ATC came out and was scared of Gertrude Aldridge and the first appearance of the subway ghost. That’s a fairly consistent hit rate thus far!
Sav C, *NormalGamer* liked this
By Slimered
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 12th, 2019, 7:15 pm What i dont want is Slimer just hanging about in fake looking CGI looking like a cartoon. If he is in the movie I hope they go back to a GB1 look and make that a little more grotesque, kind of like the videogame. And I don't want Slimer being comic relief or called Slimer.
Slimer's look in Ghostbusters: Answer The Call was perfect. They should just reuse it.
By Kingpin
I don't have a great grasp of when I first saw Ghostbusters. It may've been somewhere in the 2-4 region, and may've been eased in by the fact that The Real Ghostbusters had been showing for a few years in the U.K. after it'd made its debut on Boxing Day, 1987. I more vividly remember watching Ghostbusters II on a video cassette that I think my Mum had borrowed or rented, which might've been 1990, or 1991 (I would've been 4 or 5). Anecdote - It was watching Ghostbusters II that germinated my interest in the R.M.S. Titanic, and what I'd eventually learn to be Alfred Ely Beach's secret pneumatic subway.

I've been thinking about the classic props a lot of late, thanks to the teaser. I have a strong feeling we'll see a lot of the classic gear in 2020, although whether it'll be fully used is another matter. A further matter is whether they'll use the existing props, or go for new builds.

The example set by Ghostbusters II in mind, I suspect we'll likely see new builds of the classic gear, versus the stuff being brought out of the archives:

•While Sony retains a number of the Proton Packs, at least one (if not both) hero Slime Blowers (we don't know if any stunt versions were produced), the Giga Meter, and presumably a few Ghost Traps, a handful of items (including one of the hero Packs) have been sold off over the years.
•Of the props they do still hold, a number of them have been damaged through poor handling or display, and a number of the Proton Packs have been modified electronically. At some point after 1989, it appears at least four or five props were reconfigured - if the GBII semi-hero that Sean Bishop and Ken Huegel got a chance to open up is any indication, the lights were changed to be static, and drew their power from a wall socket via a cord and plug.
Bill's "Minnesota" Pack, at least one of the Packs on display at Planet Hollywood New York, and both Sony lobby Packs had these modifications.
•The P.K.E. Meter prop (or props, there's some debate as to if there was a second) is either in private hands or missing (there was a story from years ago that it was stolen, but that too is up for debate).
•The radio-controlled hero Ghost Trap from Ghostbusters II was auctioned last year.

Given the props that've been sold off, damaged in Sony's care, and modified, and potentially stolen, I kinda feel that in the long run that if any classic gear gets more than a fleeting appearance - if any of it gets used to any significant degree, Jason Reitman's production would probably just make some new props, weathered to look like they're 30 years old, rather than bring the old gear out of retirement.

The advances in production techniques would serve as another reason to produce some new stuff, rather than risk breaking... Or wasting time rewiring the old gear: The weight issues of the old Proton Packs can be relieved by 3D-printed parts, and revolutionised lighting circuitry and boards. The missing P.K.E. Meter can be substituted for a freshly-moulded Iona Polisher, or a 3D print, or even a modified Matty Collector replica.
The techniques available to today's prop builders may offer flexibility in functionality that their counterparts in the 1980s could only dream of. We may even see the 'guts' of the equipment for the first time in the live-action films (not including 2016).

And, if I'm being honest, I think it's only fair to let the1984/1989 props enjoy their retirement. If the classic gear is to be retired for newer versions that are to be produced in the story, then it makes sense to let a new generation of clasically-styled equipment take the beating the plot may throw at them...
deadderek, RichRyan1507, BatDan and 5 others liked this
By BatDan
im not really sure the 'first' time i saw Ghostbusters 1, i just remember watching it a lot as a kid.

Honestly one of my earliest GB memories, was being in the theater during Ghostbusters 2, i remember Winston just got 'ran over' by the ghost train. i remember the whole audience laughing through the scene.

I also do remember (which is up for so much debate of the Mandela effect)..slimer flying around the Libby Stature at the end toward the screen, and the audience chuckling as it faded to black.

I would love to see the Slime Blowers come back somehow, even being beat up and covered in tarp as a little easter egg would be neat. I used to think they were so cool as a kid.
Sav C, Kingpin liked this
By Coover5
I want everything in GB20 to be classic. I want classic uniforms. I want classic ectomobiles. I want classic packs and traps. I want classic busters. For gb4+? I'm open to anything. I thought I was before. At the announcement of GB: ATC I thought I wouldn't care about those things but the wait was too long for me to be happy with something so different. I waited too long to see those boys in gray slug it out with a pretty pesky poltergeist to be happy with anything else. I want to see how their story ends. Then I can move on.
Last edited by Coover5 on February 13th, 2019, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deadderek liked this
By Wiggyof9
I think we will certainly see new/upgraded equipment. Gotta get those merch sales. I would hope they do it like the video game though. Keep it in the same prototype, garage built style. This way fans can upgrade their home built stuff but casual fans will still buy new merch. I know I would buy an old Ernie Hudson figure with a new pack upgrade. Heck, id love it if DST gave us a Rookie figure with a fully upgraded game pack.
By Michael Scott
I know it’s a long shot, but how cool would it be if they sourced out fan built proton packs to use in the film? People would line up to allow the crew to use their packs, maybe even for free. It would be cost effective and save time for the props developers to create next generation equipment, not to mention be a huge win in fan relations.

Bill Murray used a fan’s pack at the Scream Awards, so it’s not completely unprecedented.
Sav C liked this
By Coover5
The Millenium Falcon's golden dice in TFA were from a fan and for many years the MST3K robots were made with fan donated pieces. It happens more than we'd think. We expect Hollywood studios to have access to everything but sometimes it's easier to just ask nicely to borrow from the fans.
Sav C liked this
By Wiggyof9
BatDan wrote: February 13th, 2019, 8:17 pm I would love to see the Slime Blowers come back somehow, even being beat up and covered in tarp as a little easter egg would be neat. I used to think they were so cool as a kid.
I agree. I dont want them in use because that was very much a GB2 thing, but seeing them in the background would be a nice easter egg. Even having one of the video game upgrades in the back ground would be nice. Or some RGB inspired stuff in the back like on the workbench in the game.

Man.... still a year and a half left to look forward to more info.
BatDan, Sav C liked this
By BatDan
Wiggyof9 wrote: February 13th, 2019, 8:50 pm
BatDan wrote: February 13th, 2019, 8:17 pm I would love to see the Slime Blowers come back somehow, even being beat up and covered in tarp as a little easter egg would be neat. I used to think they were so cool as a kid.
I agree. I dont want them in use because that was very much a GB2 thing, but seeing them in the background would be a nice easter egg. Even having one of the video game upgrades in the back ground would be nice. Or some RGB inspired stuff in the back like on the workbench in the game.

right? its only been about a month since the announcement and the mystery and suspense of what to expect is brilliant. i'm remaining cautiously optimistic, this isnt the GB3 we all had in our heads for the past 20 years, so i'd like to see how it unfolds, im sure we'll get a full real press announcement (casting and all ) this summer at one of the cons.
Sav C liked this
By savintheday
I first saw Ghostbusters on a network television premier (might've been ABC) around 1985, at age 5, when my mom had video taped it. I wore that tape down! It even had the commercial breaks in there.

So for years I had been unknowingly watching the edited version; Winston says "I have seen stuff that'll turn you white", the "dickless" joke was cut and they just go into the scuffle, which always confused me, and the blowjob ghost scene was cut.

Kinda wish I could re-cut that last one.
Sav C liked this
By timeware
Wiggyof9 wrote:

I'm perfectly fine with the slime blowers in the background. The slime blower mark II from the video game should be used to replace the heavy slime blowers. The OG's are going to be to old to lug those around and i'm sure the new team wouldn't be too keen on that idea either.

I would love to see everything classic come back but I want new stuff as well. I would like a new non flight suit uniform be introduced. Like I've mentioned an iconic jacket or jersey similar to Poe's rebel jacket would be awesome.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
I saw Dan wearing a brown leather jacket with a GBII patch on a magazine cover, and it looked great! I'd like to see some new equipment in addition to all of the classic stuff, but I would like it to be aesthetically simpatico with the classic gear.
Coover5 liked this
By Dr.D
Curveball speculation but kinda a neat concept I was thinking about. What if this movie doesn't take place in 2019/2020?

What if this takes place in the early 2000s? Then you could jump ahead and do an IT Chapter 2 scenario where the kids from this movie are adults and are now the Ghostbusters. Far fetched but a fun idea I think.
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this
By RichRyan1507
Dr.D wrote: February 14th, 2019, 2:03 pm Curveball speculation but kinda a neat concept I was thinking about. What if this movie doesn't take place in 2019/2020?

What if this takes place in the early 2000s? Then you could jump ahead and do an IT Chapter 2 scenario where the kids from this movie are adults and are now the Ghostbusters. Far fetched but a fun idea I think.

I still think it's possible that these kids they're casting are just small parts for flash backs. Who knows?
Sav C liked this
By Coover5
Flashbacks aren't really done in Ghostbusters so I'm not sure that would be done but you do bring up a good point. A lot of our speculation for the kids were based on the transcript from the girl's audition but it really is open for interpretation. The important part was that the girl was playing someone who didn't fit in so the character could be a child possessed by someone out of time, a ghost who is lost in the current surroundings, a brilliant child, a child who just feels rejected, a Spengler or many other options. Sometimes the dialogue read for an audition is from the film they are making and sometimes its made up dialogue written as if it were a missing scene from the film. It could be dialogue made up entirely or it could be from a script that has a character similar to what they are casting. So the scene could be from anything at all and the part could be anything at all. There's some thinking outside the box we could be doing!
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this
By dr.paul
Perhaps the kids are centres for Poltergeist activity, like the Enfield Poltergeist, as used as inspiration for the Conjuring 2. The big bad is in the background playing them like puppets... Could work, they are a big portion of the film but not the hero’s, necessarily.

For me, Ghostbusters is almost primal. My parents couldn’t get a babysitter so I was taken along at 2 years old. When the video came out a little later I remembered it well enough to know when the scares were coming to hide! The love for that film has never left me.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By mrmichaelt
2 character breakdowns
https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/02/14 ... r-trailer/

The first character breakdown reads, "UNNAMED (LEAD BOY 2) To play 12 years old. Slender, pale, dark hair, piercing blue eyes, aquiline features, high cheekbones, withdrawn. He’s prodigious — bright, witty, stubborn, and remains playful in spite of hardship. He is also a brilliantly quick thinker under pressure, is at ease with technology, and has a high facility for problem-solving."

Another reported character is described, "UNNAMED (LEAD GIRL 2): To play 13 years old. Fun-loving, a bit of an airhead. Always curious, haunted, charmed, dazed."
By Slimered
Coover5 wrote: February 13th, 2019, 8:22 pm I want everything in GB20 to be classic. I want classic uniforms. I want classic ectomobiles. I want classic packs and traps.
But that makes no sense. The technology would have evolved drastically in the time between Ghostbusters 2 and Ghostbusters 3.
By Slimered
Dr.D wrote: February 14th, 2019, 2:03 pm Curveball speculation but kinda a neat concept I was thinking about. What if this movie doesn't take place in 2019/2020?

That would actually be a really cool way to do it, and it would solve the issue of kids being unable to carry Proton Packs or drive. The original Ghostbusters could be training them so they are ready to take over the business when they are adults, and end the film by saving the future for the kids to then protect from supernatural threats when they grow up.
By Coover5
Slimered wrote: February 14th, 2019, 4:15 pm
Coover5 wrote: February 13th, 2019, 8:22 pm I want everything in GB20 to be classic. I want classic uniforms. I want classic ectomobiles. I want classic packs and traps.
But that makes no sense. The technology would have evolved drastically in the time between Ghostbusters 2 and Ghostbusters 3.
Neither does a painting coming to life but we got over that didn't we?

And who says it can be improved? Toasters. Sewing machines. Dinnerware. Plates. Bowls. Sewing needles. All the same after decades just cosmetic changes. You could argue proton packs are like cellphones or flat screen televisions where it's the same tech but smaller or slimmer but proton packs are already decades ahead of what is possible for real world counterparts like cyclotrons. The science behind the Ghostbusters gear hasn't advanced that much so there would be no reason to change it. Could the traps spark less? Sure. Could the PKE meter screens go from LED's to digital screens? Sure (even thought most meters like that still use lights) But the only reason to change the equipment is cosmetic reasons and that makes no sense.
RichRyan1507, Sav C, deadderek and 1 others liked this

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

How feasible would it be for Hasbro to release &[…]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack? I[…]