Discuss the Ghostbusters movie that was released in 2016.
By Alphagaia
Then why did he let go of Abby when Erin shot him in the arm, or shield his face when Holtzmann shoots at him which makes an explosion?
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 29th, 2019, 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Alphagaia
Coover5 wrote: January 29th, 2019, 9:54 am I'm not saying he can't be hurt else where but his crotch is apparently his Achilles heal.
That doesn't make sense storywise. If that were the case they either lucked out or had to actively work to together to hit him in his one weak spot, which isn't the case. All they said was let's loosen his grip and they could have hit him whenever. This is telegraphed in the movie as one beam hurts him enough to burn and scream, but him having a weak spot is not foreshadowed.

The situation is used for a cheap joke, nothing more.
By Coover5
Your point would be valid except for that fact that Rowan used their book for his plan. No luck needed when it's your idea in the first place.
By Alphagaia
Coover5 wrote: January 29th, 2019, 10:54 am Your point would be valid except for that fact that Rowan used their book for his plan. No luck needed when it's your idea in the first place.
I'm not sure why that matters? Could you elaborate?

Because if you are telling me they knew of this weak spot it would have been foreshadowed, Rowan would have made precautions (he read the same book), and Leslie and Holtzmann would have been told and they would have shot him there right away. Yet even in the spirit realm, Erin aims at his arm.

There are just to many inconsistencies for your theory to work.
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 29th, 2019, 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Coover5
From my original post in this thread on my feelings about the film
Coover5 wrote: January 22nd, 2019, 2:19 am I would have changed the importance of Erin and Abbey's book. They essentially gave Rowan a manual on how to end the world. That made the finale feel like they were cleaning up their mess and not saving the world.
Because Rowan's plan was almost right out of "Ghost from our Past" they knew what to do several times through the movie they just happened to fail. They knew they needed to stop the line charges but couldn't find them. They knew to stop Rowan. They did catch him but he killed himself. They had figured out Rowan was opening a portal. They knew to track Rowan down to the hotel. At that point he was too powerful. They even knew what it would take to close an enormous portal. Zapping Rowan in a weak spot was just a long line of them knowing exactly what to do. Did it work? Sorta. It knocked him down but like all their other attempts to stop him it didn't completely work out.
By Alphagaia
This is incorrect. The leylines are not in the book. This is mentioned in the movie by Erin who dismissed them. He is using their tech to attract ghosts and empower ghosts.

Also, it's only when he kills himself they find the book, and then it's already to late as they get 'fake' arrested by the majors flunkie, and their car towed.
It's Erin who puts it all together when she reads the book, and sees he has added a lot more scribbles of his own, that shows he wants to empower himself.
Last edited by Alphagaia on January 29th, 2019, 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Coover5
I didn't say they knew what the line charges were for. They were just aware they were dangerous. And they didn't need to know of the book. The point is he used the book to make his plan and since it was in the book the busters could figure it out.
By Alphagaia
My point is they thought all it did was attract a ghost, they didn't know it was also charging the leylines, which allowed ghosts to slip through.

However, my point stands. If they knew Rowan had a weakpoint, why did he do nothing to shield himself, and how did Leslie and Holtzmann know where to shoot?

It's a joke. Not a pivotal part of the movie as you are making it out to be.
MOSUGOJI liked this
By Sav C
I think the joke is that two years after the movie, pages upon pages of forum space can be filled by a debate about shooting the bad guy in his sensitive spot! :lol: Just kiddin' around with you guys. :)
Alphagaia, Coover5 liked this
By Alphagaia
Davideverona wrote: January 29th, 2019, 11:49 pm
Alphagaia wrote: January 29th, 2019, 9:24 am

Oh. You are one of... those... people...
Yes, I'm one of those people who enjoyed Monster Squad
Please don't give us any more details.

Coover5 wrote: January 29th, 2019, 2:58 pm Would those technically be spaceballs?
O no, there goes the planet.
By Slimered
I wouldn't make much in the way of changes. It doesn't need fixing, it's fine the way it is.

The only thing I'd do is connect it to the 1984 universe. Change the cameos from the original actors so they are playing their characters from the 1984 original. Other than that, there's nothing else that needs doing with it.
SSJmole, LawgSkrak liked this
By Gatchigirl
How would I fix GB:ATC? Well, I would have more Egon's, Ray's and Winston's and way less Venkman's in each character. Not everyone can be the comic relief. I did enjoy the story and the movie overall. Just that the plot didn't seem very well thought out other than we have a human who is charging the lines, bringing ghosts into the world and we must have a huge fight scene between the Ghostbusters and a large assortment of ghosts. I would have toned down the big fight scene and had more of a fight between the GB's and Rowan/Kevin. It just seemed like their battle was rushed and they made him way to powerful. The dance sequence with him taking over the federal agents, pure genius but it got old quick. If anything, he should have used them as shields against the GB's and they would have to figure out how to get past them without hurting them. That's what I would have done.

Way more romance, which they could have done. They could have had a romantic triangle going on with Erin and her bf, if they didn't just write him off after she lost her position at Columbia. It would have been interesting to see that with Kevin and her bf vying over Erin, which I think should have been done. Instead they made Erin into some weird cougar pining after a younger man. Kevin, I wouldn't have made him so dumb, and I would have had him as the delivery guy for the Chinese place. Before you say anything, I have some seen really hunky guys delivering for places like that while pursuing other avenues. Being New York, I would have had him as a wannabe model and actor trying to get his big break.

That's just some of my ideas. Linking the universes would be easy. But I won't go into that here. One of the other things that made the original GB's movies, they weren't just comedies. They had suspense, horror and excitement in them. Something missing in this version. Like the opening of GB1 with the librarian. That scene is suspenseful and can be downright scary if you don't know what's coming. Then the scene where Dana is taken in her apartment. I don't need to say anymore, but I think you all get the picture. Where was this level in the GB:ATC? It didn't have most of this, it was mostly written to be a comedy with GB elements.
By Coover5
Gatchigirl wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:58 am How would I fix GB:ATC? Well, I would have more Egon's, Ray's and Winston's and way less Venkman's in each character. Not everyone can be the comic relief.
So many writers are guilty of that but I've started calling it the "Joss Whedon treatment" because there is so little variety in what Whedon writes. The Marvel Characters were all unique until they were filtered through Whedon's Avengers. I enjoy Whedon's work, especially Buffy, but when it's all him it's hard to tell the characters apart.

ATC didn't seem to have a straight man so everyone just kept trying to top each other. It got a little messy.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Coover5
You might be thinking of Leslie as the everyman or layman. An everyman or layman is "a person without professional or specialized knowledge in a particular subject." While Patty does have some historical knowledge she is an outsider in the world of the paranormal. A straight man is the serious person. Dana Barrett would be a straight man. Zeddemore would be pretty close to a straight man. Patty, with lines like "the power of Patty compels you!" "It smells like burnt baloney and regrets down here. " "You get a car! And you get a car! And YOU get a car! " and "Okay, I don't know if it was a race thing or a lady thing, but I'm mad as hell. " wouldn't be straight man.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Gatchigirl
Alphagaia wrote: February 8th, 2019, 10:04 pm While I agree ATC has way more comedy and ad lib, isn't Leslie the straight man, or am I understanding the term wrong?
Exactly, no straight man. Thanks, I couldn't think of that term. Patty sure didn't fit that role with her comedic lines. The only one I see being the actually comic relief would have been Holtzmann. She was just a natural for that. Then Erin, wow, Erin was a mess. Its like they didn't know what to do with her. She was all over the board with her character. Straight, uptight in the opening, then Venkman like towards Kevin and then trying to be the comic relief too. It just didn't work. She should have stayed the uptight neurotic professor at the beginning. It would have suited her more. And Abby, well, she had the opportunity to just become a totally new character that no one had seen before. Instead, she was just blah in this. So there would have been finetuning of the characters mannerisms, except for Holtzmann, come on, everyone can agree that she was the best character in the whole movie.

I would have made the mayor's aide even more obnoxious then she was. Probably channel some of Kurt Fuller's character from GB2. Sorry, I ran off again. I just had got thinking from these other comments about this stuff.
By Seth Rex
I think, at this point, it's not so much how can we fix GB2016, it's how do we make a better ATC2? And I think a lot of it can be contributed to the script and the level of improv. If we can make a better script, with less improv, it will help.
By SSJmole
Coover5 wrote: February 8th, 2019, 9:01 pm
Gatchigirl wrote: February 8th, 2019, 2:58 am How would I fix GB:ATC? Well, I would have more Egon's, Ray's and Winston's and way less Venkman's in each character. Not everyone can be the comic relief.
So many writers are guilty of that but I've started calling it the "Joss Whedon treatment" because there is so little variety in what Whedon writes. The Marvel Characters were all unique until they were filtered through Whedon's Avengers. I enjoy Whedon's work, especially Buffy, but when it's all him it's hard to tell the characters apart.

ATC didn't seem to have a straight man so everyone just kept trying to top each other. It got a little messy.
I disagree completely. Like with Avengers you can tell them apart. Most of their humour comes from different places like GB one the humour came her weirdness and lack of caring what people think. Another her street smarts and been new to the ghost stuff as a non scientist. Another her social awkwardness and another her stubborness .

It's like a comedy that doesn't really have a straighman role. Look at sitcoms. When you watched Friends they were all funny. Just because they told the joke or were funny doesn't mean you can't tell chandler and Ross apart or something.

Same thing with Avengers. All had funny moments and jokes. But from different places. Iron Man doesn't use the same humour that Thor used in the same film.
By GBfan77
Looking back on it. I probably wouldn't have made Kevin so stupid. Stupid can be funny, but if you don't know the difference between your eyes and your ears how do you function? How do you feed yourself, dress yourself, bath, walk , breath, if you don't know the difference between your ears and eyes?
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichRyan1507
GBfan77 wrote: February 19th, 2019, 6:47 pm Looking back on it. I probably wouldn't have made Kevin so stupid. Stupid can be funny, but if you don't know the difference between your eyes and your ears how do you function? How do you feed yourself, dress yourself, bath, walk , breath, if you don't know the difference between your ears and eyes?

Yeah. Like many other decisions made on that film, that one was bad. Maybe the worst next to the dance scene.
By RichRyan1507
I'd invent a time machine, kidnap Amy Pascal, and send her to a desert island. That way, Paul Feig and Kate Dippold would have never been a part of it. So many bad decisions on that project from top to bottom.
By Alphagaia
I think I want to fix the fanbase. If we keep our opinions just a little in check we could all just enjoy being fans of Ghostbusters.
Instead we have smearcampaigns back and forth that cause people to leave the forums.

Let's stay classy people. You can dislike something without going to far.
Sav C liked this
By timeware
RichRyan1507 wrote: February 21st, 2019, 2:21 pm I'd invent a time machine, kidnap Amy Pascal, and send her to a desert island. That way, Paul Feig and Kate Dippold would have never been a part of it. So many bad decisions on that project from top to bottom.
These kind of comments do come off as over the top. I'm not shy about discussing my dislike for how ATC was handled or Mr. Feig but let's steer clear of stuff that may come off as threatening?
Sav C, SSJmole liked this

I don't remember exactly, But I think I've had pr[…]

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]