Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Davideverona
One time wrote: March 10th, 2019, 10:27 pm In GB1 slimer flew away at the end. In GB2 his fate remained open. In GBTVG he was also still there.

I'm 95% sure he will be in GB2020. You can't make an '84 GB fanservice movie and not feature slimer.

I just hope it's reminiscent of his GB1 portrayal: bizzarre, hurried, unpredictable, inhumanly frenzied, somewhat scary.

and not his GB2 / ATC portrayal: cute, very anthropomorphic, acting out, smiling, posing, child friendly.
Me too. And I hope he has white Doc Brown-ish white hair on the sides of his head.
deadderek liked this
By deadderek
Ghosts aging...that's a fun idea. Or at least changing appearances sometime. Like how Slimer of GB1 is different than GB2.

Just as long as they stay away from ATC Slimer iy should be decent.
RichRyan1507, back liked this
By mrmichaelt
deadderek wrote:Ghosts aging...that's a fun idea. Or at least changing appearances sometime. Like how Slimer of GB1 is different than GB2.
I just tell myself he accidentally ate some of the positively charged psychomagnotheric slime in the lab upstairs thinking it was a slush float and he transformed into what we see and was jolly until he burned through the effects and reverted to normal as he was in The Video Game. The joyfulness was over by 1991.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
By Davideverona
mrmichaelt wrote: March 11th, 2019, 2:03 am
deadderek wrote:Ghosts aging...that's a fun idea. Or at least changing appearances sometime. Like how Slimer of GB1 is different than GB2.
I just tell myself he accidentally ate some of the positively charged psychomagnotheric slime in the lab upstairs thinking it was a slush float and he transformed into what we see and was jolly until he burned through the effects and reverted to normal as he was in The Video Game. The joyfulness was over by 1991.
That's actually a really good explanation!!!
And regarding the driving ability, he has psicokinetic powers, he doesn't need legs.

I was joking about the hairs, but it would be fun if in these 30 years he has evolved and has a basic intelligence.
Think about this: everyone is struggling with resolving a supernatural mistery. Slimer flow in, tap someone on the shoulder signaling that they should follow him. He points to an old box and mutters: "Eeeeeegonnn".
By Sav C
Alphagaia wrote: March 10th, 2019, 11:33 pm
timeware wrote: March 10th, 2019, 10:35 pm

Alpha, people are worshipping your kid. Don't let it go to your head dude.
Well, after the sixth human sacrifice, it became a little stale.
Hey, are there many perks in being the father of a living god? Do you get a magnificent apartment, car, free parking?
RichRyan1507, Alphagaia liked this
By Alphagaia
Sav C wrote: March 11th, 2019, 12:12 pm
Alphagaia wrote: March 10th, 2019, 11:33 pm

Well, after the sixth human sacrifice, it became a little stale.
Hey, are there many perks in being the father of a living god? Do you get a magnificent apartment, car, free parking?
Honestly all I got was a lousy painting filled with near naked men.
Sav C, robbritton liked this
By Sav C
deadderek wrote: March 11th, 2019, 12:31 pm So back to being on topic:

Anyone dare predict box office numbers yet???
Well, if it's PG-13, I'd say the minimum opening week will be $45 million. The maximum, perhaps $150 million. I'm going to guess it will be around $75 million. I bet it grosses $400 million in total.
Alphagaia, RichRyan1507, SpaceBallz and 1 others liked this
By Dr.D
Can't make that comparison really. And it isn't just about inflation. Things are so fundamentally different now it's like apples to oranges.
By robbritton
Err on the side of caution. The comics are magnificent but don’t sell near as much as other nostalgia properties, the video game was ace and sold ok but hardly set the world alight, ATC (whatever you thought of it) made more noise through idiots shouting than through actual interest from casual moviegoers.

Ghostbusters is a much more niche property than I think a lot of Ghostheads realise. The first one was a huge success off the back of critical and public response to a breakout performance from Murray (mainly) and an unintended interest from kids. Everything since, other than RGB, has been much more divisive and select in its appeal, and RGB was a hit with Saturday morning kids rather than the public at large.

I think it could be a hit if they’re very careful in budgeting production, but I wouldn’t predict Marvel-esque numbers until I hear some very, VERY good word of mouth.

Which is pretty upsetting, honestly, cos I love all things Ghostbusters and it baffles me that Turtles and Transformers cast a longer cultural shadow. There’s no way either of those have ever had a cinema outing even close to as good as the first Ghostbusters, or arguably as good a cartoon.
Alphagaia, RichRyan1507, Dr.D and 6 others liked this
By Dr.D
Ghostbusters was one of those movies cut from the same cloth as Robocop and Aliens in that they were not made with kids in mind, but connected with them in a huge and unexpected way which led to the countless merchandising spin-offs. Merchandisers were afraid of the first movie and if I recall correctly Ivan has said as much in interviews.

Ghostbusters is well-known, but I wouldn't say it's popular. There's a big difference.
By *NormalGamer*
Dr.D wrote: March 11th, 2019, 3:18 pm Ghostbusters was one of those movies cut from the same cloth as Robocop and Aliens in that they were not made with kids in mind, but connected with them in a huge and unexpected way which led to the countless merchandising spin-offs. Merchandisers were afraid of the first movie and if I recall correctly Ivan has said as much in interviews.

Ghostbusters is well-known, but I wouldn't say it's popular. There's a big difference.
The franchise today, apart from the original film and RGB, may not have large popularity as it used to in the 80s, but it does retain it's niche cult status (thanks to the IDW comics); i'm just lucky to see it still thrive in any other form throughout it's years, in spite of everything it's been through.

Like robbitron, I'm not expecting GB2020 to do well in the box office, but it should do well on it's 'own terms' depending how Jason handles the film.
By savintheday
I think it'll do decently at the box office, but won't be a major blockbuster. Unfortunately, this movie might not appeal to the same crowd that eats up every flashy superhero flick. Short attention spans are not in our favor here.
Sav C liked this
By timeware
I cant remember what I predicted earlier and I'm to lazy to go back several pages to check my numbers. If there isn't a cause behind the film I'm going to predict a $100 million opening weekend. That's if the original cast is front and center, they advertise, and advertise. Lowest opening prediction should be around $80 million and that's not including how it does over seas, or merchandising.
Sony should make a fraction of what it lost on ATC by a renewed interest in DVD sales. Whether or not anything happens after that we'll have to wait and see.
deadderek liked this
By Slimered
Coover5 wrote: March 11th, 2019, 1:47 pm For those making box office estimates, how do you think the numbers will be different with and without the original Ghostbusters in the film?
With: $210m worldwide opening weekend, $800m final
Without: $175 worldwide opening weekend, $550m final
Coover5, Sav C liked this
By SpaceBallz
savintheday wrote: March 11th, 2019, 4:21 pm I think it'll do decently at the box office, but won't be a major blockbuster. Unfortunately, this movie might not appeal to the same crowd that eats up every flashy superhero flick. Short attention spans are not in our favor here.
I dunno man, the SFX supervisor and art director they hired has done some big popcorn summer movies. We might get flashy with a decent story.
savintheday, RichRyan1507, BatDan and 1 others liked this
By BatDan
robbritton wrote: March 11th, 2019, 2:51 pm Err on the side of caution. The comics are magnificent but don’t sell near as much as other nostalgia properties, the video game was ace and sold ok but hardly set the world alight, ATC (whatever you thought of it) made more noise through idiots shouting than through actual interest from casual moviegoers.

Ghostbusters is a much more niche property than I think a lot of Ghostheads realise. The first one was a huge success off the back of critical and public response to a breakout performance from Murray (mainly) and an unintended interest from kids. Everything since, other than RGB, has been much more divisive and select in its appeal, and RGB was a hit with Saturday morning kids rather than the public at large.

I think it could be a hit if they’re very careful in budgeting production, but I wouldn’t predict Marvel-esque numbers until I hear some very, VERY good word of mouth.

Which is pretty upsetting, honestly, cos I love all things Ghostbusters and it baffles me that Turtles and Transformers cast a longer cultural shadow. There’s no way either of those have ever had a cinema outing even close to as good as the first Ghostbusters, or arguably as good a cartoon.
Agree to disagree...While i'll say Ghostbusters as a 'franchise' is more of a cult phenomena, the movies themselves are still very loved by the general public, and this general public will more than likely be very excited for a return to the original movie ( i mean even ET covered the GB3 news, and the internet shit itself, the comics nor the video game got that kind of coverage). This part of the general public doesnt play video games or read comics (which are 'niche' markets in and of themselves) but they do however still go to the movies when they see something that peaks their interest.

I have faith this will be a pretty big movie, especially if the OG's will return, a lot of people will come out from under rocks to see the original cast reunite.

..and TMNT 1990 is damn fine film, but yea its not up there with a classic such as GB1 .
deadderek, RichRyan1507, robbritton and 1 others liked this
By Davideverona
I'm wondering what the JR's Instagram post for the first day of shooting will be.

The ciak with the title?
The firehouse gb logo?
A generic Canadian landscape?
The three original Ghostbusters side by side with the caption "and so we begin anew" without having previously announced their involvement?
deadderek liked this
By robbritton
Someone stateside needs to keep an eye on Hook and Ladder 8 for us! The second a scaffold appears over the door you can pretty much guarantee we’ll be seeing the old place again!
By deadderek
Kingpin wrote: March 12th, 2019, 2:28 am Not that I want to rain on the parade, but isn't speculating on the film's financial return this early into things basically the financial version of forecasting the weather a year from now?
It was done for ATC, I don't see why not? It's fun to speculate.

I'll bet the farm it opens at #1. :D
Sav C liked this
By deadderek
robbritton wrote: March 12th, 2019, 1:32 am Someone stateside needs to keep an eye on Hook and Ladder 8 for us! The second a scaffold appears over the door you can pretty much guarantee we’ll be seeing the old place again!
Depends on what/if any scenes are set at the firehouse. Just an exterior shot with no one in it wouldn't even require that much time and effort.

Hell if it's just a quick shot there might even be leftover ATC footage they could swipe from. :P

Also keep in mind that's just an exterior. If there's extensive scenes set inside the firehouse we might not even know about it until the film is released.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By robbritton
Yeah, but prime universe has the sign hanging up, and it’d be likely cheaper just to hang the sign up for some exteriors rather than rendering a CG one! That was my thinking, anyway!
RichRyan1507 liked this
By BatDan
can we at least predict/dream we'll get a new cartoon with the RGB cast returning if the movie's a success? JMS and IDW directing/writing?
By BatDan
robbritton wrote: March 12th, 2019, 7:43 am Yeah, but prime universe has the sign hanging up, and it’d be likely cheaper just to hang the sign up for some exteriors rather than rendering a CG one! That was my thinking, anyway!
why you dont think people are gonna drive down and not see the sign?

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]