Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By timeware
I honestly don't see his importance being exaggerated. He was featured in the new comics, Real Ghostbusters. His absence is noted in EGB, and the video game. He becomes the gate keeper that brings Zuul's return as a major plot line of the first movie.
The second he actually contributes to saving the day and becomes a Ghostbuster. Louis isn't a minor character. It wouldn't surprise me if he's given a large role in 2020 should he reprise it. I think your jumping the gun by claiming people aren't going to remember Rick for Louis.
Coover5 liked this
By BRD 527
When my girlfriend and I first started dating last year I thought It was pretty cool that her and her son liked Ghostbusters but the coolest thing is her "Yes Have Some" coffee cup :vinzclortho:
Sav C, back liked this
By Coover5
Yes, Louis Tully was so unimportant they only brought him back for the sequel and cartoon, wanted him back for the video game and made several action figures of him.
By Wiggyof9
Louis isn't unimportant, but that doesn't mean he is important to the new story.

The problem is, this movie takes place 30 years later. How important is Louis to the story 30 years later? Rick Moranis is 65. Would he really still be a lawyer for the OGBs? Or an accountant? The business is apparently shut down, so would he really still be around?

That's the issue with any of the original supporting characters. How important are they after 30 years?

The more that comes out about this movie the more it seems the only connection to the originals is that its in the same universe. Only time will tell.
By timeware
They could do a kind of Paul Smart story where Louis tries to open his own franchise and get's in over his head. The family ends up coming to save the day when his equipment start's to fail against whatever new ghosts start to plague the city. If this is going to be a true reunion movie, and being filmed in Canada I say his return is highly likely.
I would love to see Rick have continued his relationship with Janine and his team of Busters, or Ghost Hunters have to team up with the family. There may be more casting announcements coming down the road but that's doubtful unless it's concerning the OG's.
By Coover5
I was watching "The Ghostbusters in Paris" for obvious reasons tonight and something that caught my attention was how beautiful the architecture was in the episode. I found the meshing of the Aldridge Mansion location and the green screen for slime effects pretty well done in ATC. I'd love it if GB20 would do something similar. Use real impressive architecture but make use of green screen and really let our guys do some damage or have something major happen.
Dr.D, Kingpin, Alphagaia liked this
By Alphagaia
Coover5 wrote: April 15th, 2019, 8:14 pm Yes, Louis Tully was so unimportant they only brought him back for the sequel and cartoon, wanted him back for the video game and made several action figures of him.
On the flip side, he also had very little to do with the overall story in GB2, stole Janine away from Egon and his side plot was almost completely cut out, because it felt very tacked on but let's not open that well.

Slimered is not wrong though. Louis isn't that important to the general public, especially after so many years and the actor only being in a few acting jobs. That being said, since Jason said he wanted to do a movie for Ghostbusters fans, and since we love Louis, there might be a spot in the movie for him, if he wants it, ofcourse.
Sav C, Slimered liked this
By robbritton
I dunno, I'm kind of with Slimered on this one. Louis Tully is not unimportant to Ghostbusters, but if Rick Moranis doesn't turn up in the new movie the general movie going public aren't going to be in uproar about it, and may indeed not notice.

The top tier wide recognition factor things are Slimer, Stay Puft and the logo. EVERYONE knows what those look like. Next down is the equipment and the car - people know it when they see it, but they couldn't say if it's accurate or not. Then Murray, Aykroyd and Ramis. Then there's a fourth layer with Sigourney Weaver, Ernie Hudson, Rick Moranis and Annie Potts, and so on down.

Basically, we all care and would notice missing characters and such, but John Q Public who still isn't entirely convinced Eddie Murphy wasn't in Ghostbusters (which comes up much more than you'd think!) wouldn't miss Moranis for a second.

There's a lot less of us than there is of the public, so I imagine Sony's eye has to be on the latter before the former. Therefore if any of the lower tier characters are unavailable/not in the script, the film will happily carry on without them.
Alphagaia, RichRyan1507 liked this
By Wiggyof9
And truthfully.... should we expect Ray to still be in contact with Louis? A bumbling lawyer/accountant who once got turned into a dog 30 years ago?

Honestly, it would be shocking for Peter, Ray, and Winston to still be in contact 30 years later.
RichRyan1507, back, Kingpin liked this
By timeware
More then likely the scenarios going to show the stranger thing's kid looking at his phone contacts and clicking on Uncle Louis. What would be great about this idea if he uses a terror dog for his profile picture.
By Coover5
Wiggyof9 wrote: April 16th, 2019, 5:33 am And truthfully.... should we expect Ray to still be in contact with Louis? A bumbling lawyer/accountant who once got turned into a dog 30 years ago?

Honestly, it would be shocking for Peter, Ray, and Winston to still be in contact 30 years later.
I can easily see it justified that Ray and Louis are in contact because Ray still keeps tabs on the guy who was possessed, brought about a God and had every molecule in his body transformed into an entirely different being. That all being said, we could all respect Louis's value as a research subject but that being his only value to Ray would be off putting. So I could see them being in contact but not without side effects.
Alphagaia, Sav C liked this
By Alphagaia
I don't think anyone is disputing the fact it makes perfect senses Louis and the GB would stay in touch.

While a lot can happen in 30 years (Bill and Harold went from friends to only visit on deathbed, for instance) what matters most is the story GB20 wants to tell.

Does a character from GB1/GB2 have something worthwhile to do in the new movie or is he or she just shoehorned in again?
Sav C, robbritton liked this
By Coover5
This really hinges on whether or not Ghostbusters is still in business. If Ghostbusters is out of business and Ray is trying to patch together some form of a qualified team you could easily justify Janine or Louis. But if Ghostbusters is still in operation it would be hard to explain why the whole team is made up of retirement age busters.
By Doctor Venkman
Sav C wrote: April 16th, 2019, 10:42 am Yeah, I feel like blowing the top floors off a midtown sky rise, and cracking a slime dome off the top of a New York museum would count as “lifetime bonding experiences”. But that’s just me.
Yea... anyone suggesting that Ray, Peter, and Winston would be out of touch after these experiences... :whatever:
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this
By RichRyan1507
I hate to break all of this thrilling conversation up, but there is a VERY important and exciting piece of breaking GB20 news...
Caillou Pettis has been cast as Car Hop Employee. You're welcome.
Sav C liked this
By back
Wiggyof9 wrote: April 16th, 2019, 5:33 am And truthfully.... should we expect Ray to still be in contact with Louis? A bumbling lawyer/accountant who once got turned into a dog 30 years ago?

Wow... Thats actually a really good point. The idea of this much time passing by... Yea, people have lifes to Live. But something bringing at LEAST one character in from the first 2 flicks to shine some light on what the hell is going on would work for me... But come on, if it was Only One of them we all know Id be Ray! The dialogue of fast clear paced techno-speech is amazing to hear, it holds up.

Although... Theres always those one-liners that stay with us forever! :D
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Slimered
timeware wrote: April 15th, 2019, 5:26 pm I honestly don't see his importance being exaggerated. He was featured in the new comics, Real Ghostbusters. His absence is noted in EGB, and the video game. He becomes the gate keeper that brings Zuul's return as a major plot line of the first movie.
The second he actually contributes to saving the day and becomes a Ghostbuster. Louis isn't a minor character. It wouldn't surprise me if he's given a large role in 2020 should he reprise it. I think your jumping the gun by claiming people aren't going to remember Rick for Louis.
The films...he is really only there for comic relief. The village idiot. The first one he spends a lot of time running around asking people if they are the gatekeeper, the second much of his screentime is about him trying and failing to catch Slimer.

The Extended Universe stuff the casual moviegoer knows nothing about either.

I honestly think to a casual moviegoer Janine will be more memorable, and even then I doubt they'll remember her name. They're more likely to remember Sigourney Weaver was in it, but not the part she played.

I still say if you asked any random person on the street what films Rick Moranis has been in they wouldn't say Ghostbusters.
By Slimered
Alphagaia wrote: April 16th, 2019, 1:58 am
Coover5 wrote: April 15th, 2019, 8:14 pm Yes, Louis Tully was so unimportant they only brought him back for the sequel and cartoon, wanted him back for the video game and made several action figures of him.
On the flip side, he also had very little to do with the overall story in GB2, stole Janine away from Egon and his side plot was almost completely cut out, because it felt very tacked on but let's not open that well.

Slimered is not wrong though. Louis isn't that important to the general public, especially after so many years and the actor only being in a few acting jobs. That being said, since Jason said he wanted to do a movie for Ghostbusters fans, and since we love Louis, there might be a spot in the movie for him, if he wants it, ofcourse.
I'm not saying they won't include him, but he won't be used as a major selling point in the same way that the original Ghostbusters or Sigourney Weaver would be.
By deadderek
I'd say anyone about 30 or up would bring up Rick Moranis.

He's just not well known with the youngsters. But regardless we'd all love for him to return, even if only for a cameo.

Now what the real fans wanna know is if they can get Eugene Levy to come back as Sherman Tully.

Coover5, Sav C, back liked this
By Coover5
If they do have Sherman Tully I may have to rewrite "Dermatologist to the Stars: My life as the Ghostbusters' doctor" which is my 130 page Sherman Tully fan fiction written as a collection of laborious paperwork. It'll be worth it though.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
By deadderek
Coover5 wrote: April 16th, 2019, 4:40 pm If they do have Sherman Tully I may have to rewrite "Dermatologist to the Stars: My life as the Ghostbusters' doctor" which is my 130 page Sherman Tully fan fiction written as a collection of laborious paperwork. It'll be worth it though.
That ought a do it thanks very much Coover5.
Sav C, Coover5 liked this

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]

Someone on FB found it. NARDA ELECTROMAGNETIC RADI[…]

It appears that some time today someone who […]