By halliwax
hey Gang!

I haven’t been here in years!! Some time has passed since I started my build.. we’ll never really started. Still have a ton of parts in boxes in my closet

Anyway! I now have a 5yr old niece. Who is a HUGE Ghost head! Last year I made her a quick little ghostbusters costume with the 2016 GB kids pack, and spirit Halloween stuff

She likes it but wanted the “boys costume” so Ive started piecing things together for her

I downloaded some pack files to 3d print. But learned of the spirit pack which is much smaller then the real one. On a chance I ordered it and it showed up today. My god does this make things so much easier!!

I see there are a ton of spirit pack builds on here, I don’t want to waste space with our simple build. Since it’s going to be just a repaint and few small upgrades

But I want to install the GBfans sound board setup. I’m going to need help with that. So I figured I’d start a thread, hoping if I get stuck you guys could light the way

I’ve been a weekly lurker in the shop section and it seems the sound boards don’t last long. Does spongeface still supply the boards to the site? Does he sell them regularly or do we have to wait until they are restocked in the store?

Again, it’s going to be a pretty simple setup, but would really like to put the sound board setup inside it

Does anyone know if the thrower light kit fits inside the spirit thrower?

Again thank you all for your time! Here’s a pick of us last year

And here is the spirit stripped down for upgrades and paint

Probably going to cut the motherboard out of aluminum or lexan.. I gotta try and keep this as light as possible for her..

Thanks again for everything!!
Christof, Kingpin, NickFame13 and 1 others liked this
By halliwax
A little progress today. Pack has been completely stripped downs some stuff sanded and filled

I was going to use the N filter, I cut some holes in it but don’t like the way you can see the insides

So I’m currently 3d printing my own

Here’s some progress pics

Made my own injector box (is that what the call it?) so I won’t need this anymore

Here you can see the mess inside. Even with the cap on you see the stuff inside. I’m just cutting it off and sliding my own on

Sanding and filling in my future..

Ground off those fake screws to fill and add real 1/4-20 hex bolts

Removing copy right info, eck!!!

I figured add real rivets why not?

I 3d printed a speaker delete, and hot glued it in, this way I can fill the speaker holes

Round 1 of fill
Kingpin liked this
By halliwax
Quick sand. And round 2 of fill

What I like about this build is its relaxed. You don’t have to stress over accuracy, and is just really fun
QuartZ liked this
By halliwax
Little more progress but that’s it for today. Printed the test for the n filter which fits perfect. 6 hour print so I’ll print that in the morning, hopefully it’s not raining I got other projects I need to finish and can’t paint outside with the weather the way it has been..

Injector box is almost ready

twmedford23 liked this
By NickFame13
Loving this! Great work!

Spongeface is working on a Spirit thrower upgrade kit for lights and sound.
By halliwax
NickFame13 wrote:Loving this! Great work!

Spongeface is working on a Spirit thrower upgrade kit for lights and sound.
I randomly found his YouTube videos, I’m ordering everything he’s got!

Been in contact with jim, see if I can get on his ecig run

We are having a killer storm until Tuesday... don’t think I’ll get anymore accomplished

Ordered a sheet of aluminum for a mother board

I just hope it’s not to heavy for her
NickFame13 liked this
By halliwax
Alittle more progress, decided to tackle some wand mods

A 1/8th drill bit works great for making the vent grill

I drill some holes in a row. Then use a rats tail file and a flat file to make the vents

NickFame13, Kingpin liked this
By halliwax
Now with the thrower vents in the print finally finished...

I started with a paper template to transfer onto the 3d print

Then I transferred it with tape to the 3d print and traced it on. Used a dremel and files to cut it out

Final bondo

One thing I learned with the bondo is I THINK when it cures it gets hot enough to crack the plastic on the pack

When sanding I’m finding all this little surface cracks. I then very thinly coated it and sanded it to fill the small surface cracks

So if your going to use bondo apply it very very thin!
NickFame13, QuartZ liked this
By TragicManner
Great progress so far! There's a lot that can be changed on these and I love seeing how people mod them.

I was considering modifying my wand, but one of the BIGGEST problems with the wands on these spirit packs is at the joint between the handle and the main body, as indicated here (I used your picture :P):

I wore my Spirit Halloween pack on Halloween last year and had my wand mounted on the side of my pack and a tree branch snagged it and SNAP, the wand snapped right at that joint. It wasn't even a very hard yank on the wand, I was just walking along with my kids through the neighborhood. Taking it apart, I'm surprised I haven't seen more people complain about this, because it's held together by a pretty flimsy ridge of plastic that gets flexed literally every time the handle is used or any pressure is applied to the wand, really.

So I would say, if you're planning on modding this and keeping it long-term, that it may be worth finding ways to reinforce that point in particular or even consider replacing the entire wand if you'd rather go that route. Though I suppose, if it does break, you can just fix it then. Personally, after my wand broke and I realized how easily it can break, I went the route of replacing mine completely with CountDeM0net's Spirit Halloween scale version of DancinFool's wand, which also has a couple of remixes worth checking out. It's WAY sturdier, has a ton more room for electronics, and is closer to the scale of the pack itself (the Spirit Halloween wand is at a smaller scale than the pack itself).
NickFame13 liked this
By halliwax
TragicManner wrote:Great progress so far! There's a lot that can be changed on these and I love seeing how people mod them.

I was considering modifying my wand, but one of the BIGGEST problems with the wands on these spirit packs is at the joint between the handle and the main body, as indicated here (I used your picture :P):

I wore my Spirit Halloween pack on Halloween last year and had my wand mounted on the side of my pack and a tree branch snagged it and SNAP, the wand snapped right at that joint. It wasn't even a very hard yank on the wand, I was just walking along with my kids through the neighborhood. Taking it apart, I'm surprised I haven't seen more people complain about this, because it's held together by a pretty flimsy ridge of plastic that gets flexed literally every time the handle is used or any pressure is applied to the wand, really.

So I would say, if you're planning on modding this and keeping it long-term, that it may be worth finding ways to reinforce that point in particular or even consider replacing the entire wand if you'd rather go that route. Though I suppose, if it does break, you can just fix it then. Personally, after my wand broke and I realized how easily it can break, I went the route of replacing mine completely with CountDeM0net's Spirit Halloween scale version of DancinFool's wand, which also has a couple of remixes worth checking out. It's WAY sturdier, has a ton more room for electronics, and is closer to the scale of the pack itself (the Spirit Halloween wand is at a smaller scale than the pack itself).
Dude thanks so much for the link!!! It’s so funny you mention this!! I was saying the same thing!! I was trying to figure out how to sturdy this up!!

I’m seriously going to look into this thingiverse files! I like this better then the spirit!!

Gotta find the source for the tube

Will this still fit a 5yr olds hands though?

I was honestly thinking of fiberglassing the inside together, but seeing how the bondo has cracked the plastic I fear it will eat it...

Seriously looking into these files!
By halliwax
Very little progress, on my way home from work I stopped in Lowe’s and grabbed some primer and bolts and washed to give the spirit alittle more “belief”

Again not going for 100% accuracy on this, but it’s still a lot of fun!
QuartZ liked this
By QuartZ
I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm not going to lie... These spirit builds have me wanting to do one for my GF so we can bust ghosts together.

Keep up the good work, you seem to be crankin' ;)
-Dana
By halliwax
QuartZ wrote:I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'm not going to lie... These spirit builds have me wanting to do one for my GF so we can bust ghosts together.

Keep up the good work, you seem to be crankin' ;)
-Dana
Thanks Dana! Yes! These spirit packs serve a perfect purpose like that!! Cheap easy to upgrade this to this site and Doug. That guy is a freak’n genius!!

If you are serious about getting a pack for your girl. Doug is starting a run of electronic kits now, get on the list before Halloween! ;)
By NickFame13
Indeed, Doug's kits go, fast! I've got all of them, save for the magnetic gun mount (I found a 3d printed v hook I liked). He even has mounting brackets for an Alice frame.
By halliwax
Yeah Nick, Doug makes this too easy!! I ended up getting her the magnet wand mount.

She use to troop with a 2016 girls GB toy pack. It had this awkward clip hook mount thing... she couldn’t unhook it or re attach it (found a pic below)

Wait until she sees this... I’m going to record the whole thing, she had a legos ghostbusters Xmas this year and was screaming lol

I’m making damn good progress, with the parts rolling in. It’s gonna be hard to hold this secret until Halloween!!!

Again, this couldn’t have happened with our a place like this, such a friendly helpful community, and electronic geniuses like Doug and Jim, who share this parts with us
NickFame13 liked this
By halliwax
I loaded those files, but I haven’t started printing yet. I’m curious if it will be too big for her? I think I’m going to print the grips first, that would give me an idea of how much bigger it is to the spirit

Another benefit from the print is you could also make a pop mech for it!
By halliwax
DarkSpectre wrote:Count De Monet has scale thrower plans on thingiverse. I've used them for my kid's pack and for a buddy who has a spirit pack
Any advice on how to print the thrower box?

Like what orientation to print it. Seems like every way is going to need support material
By TragicManner
Yeah, that main box takes a ton of support material. I just printed it in its normal orientation so that all the support material was on the inside. There was a lot of it, but not too hard to remove and it didn't mess up the exterior because it was all internal.
It may be worth just going with the stock proton thrower until it breaks since you've already done work on it. I love the look of primed parts!
Also, just for your reference, here are some pictures to consider with the size of CountDeMonet's thrower:

Here it is (not quite complete) in the hands of my 7 year old son:

Here it is in the hands of my 4 year old daughter:

And here are some side-by-side comparisons (The broken up one is my stock one):
NickFame13 liked this
By halliwax
TragicManner wrote:Yeah, that main box takes a ton of support material. I just printed it in its normal orientation so that all the support material was on the inside. There was a lot of it, but not too hard to remove and it didn't mess up the exterior because it was all internal.
It may be worth just going with the stock proton thrower until it breaks since you've already done work on it. I love the look of primed parts!
Also, just for your reference, here are some pictures to consider with the size of CountDeMonet's thrower:

Here it is (not quite complete) in the hands of my 7 year old son:

Here it is in the hands of my 4 year old daughter:

Wow!! Thank you for taking the time and doing this!!

The comparison is great!! I think I’m going to print this regardless, but I think the thrower is gonna be a little bit for her today

BUT next year maybe it will be a better fit? Like I said might as well print it now while everything is fresh in my mind

As for “fixing” the spirit wand, I don’t think there’s too much one can do to fix it

I was wondering if I could fiber glass it somehow together but seeing how the Bobbi eats the plastic I think the fiberglass would turn this to mush in minutes...

Maybe once I get the electronics installed, epoxy the hell out of the handle?

Dunno yet..

But seeing that cracked handle has me concerned

Thanks again for those pictures!
By greg883
TragicManner wrote: April 25th, 2019, 5:27 pm
A possible fix for the handle - Find some tubing that will fit inside, cut a slot along the whole length (you wind up with a "C" section) so you can drop it over the wires without having to disconnect them. Glue the parts to the tubing.
NickFame13 liked this
By halliwax
NickFame13 wrote:Doug is a God among Ghostbusters! My kits arrived, yesterday. Can't wait to get going on it!
I didn’t have much time to look it over yesterday, I still can’t believe how easy he makes this..

I just read the instructions and it looks like it will work on a 9v battery. His instructions also say to keep everything in the bag until it’s ready for final installation..

This is gonna be tough. I can’t finish painting because the last 3 weekends we have had rain.. terrible

I also ran to Lowe’s and got some texture wall paint

I figured this would be a good opportunity to try it before using it on my biggishell.

Was really hoping to have this painted this weekend.. hopefully one night this week I get how early enough. Gonna work on drilling the final holes on the wand tonight

Someone ID'd them on Facebook first, there w[…]

Two specific ideas I have are basically holiday sp[…]

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]