Discuss all things Ghostbusters here, unless they would be better suited in one of the few forums below.
back wrote:Did anyone see the screening of cleanin' up the town: remembering ghostbusters at Fan Fest?
(or was it delayed again?)
I was at the Cleanin' Up The Town panel. They were only able to show 18 minutes of the film (I guess due to legal reasons), but what they showed was amazing. Tons of behind the scenes photos and footage that has never been publicly seen before. Amazing interviews and tidbits, which really captured the cast and crews personalities. Jaw dropping stuff! Sadly, there were probably only 20 people in attendance since there were 10 other panels starting at the same time. I think it was a shame because this would've been a top highlight at Fan Fest for most people.
I think the lack of event merchandise was a huge mistake. I came with cash to spend on event exclusive items and they didn't have any... except for the merch bags given to the folks who paid out the nose for the "class" packages. They left money on the table by not allowing the GA folks to purchase items like that at the event.
The first panel I went to was the screening of the Cleaning up the Town doc... which only had about 15 folks in it and wasn't much of a screening as they were slapped with some legal issues days before the event which keeps them from showing the whole film or really talking about it which is a problem when you are about to screen the thing at an event. 16 min of random clips gave you a taste of what they had been working on but really was a let down. This would kind of be the running theme of the day really.
In all it was fun to be around all the other attendees and walk around the lot a little and even get to say hi to some of the folks from the movies as they made their way through the crowds. I think Wizard World didn't organize the event very well as it seemed slapped together at the last min even with nearly a year in the making.
For me it was an amazing experience getting photographs and autographs from the various guests attending. I never knew that William Atherton had ancestors that lived in New Hampshire until my dad and I chatted with him during one of his signings. Also getting to talk to Dave Coulier and Maurice Lamarche was really amazing, Dave was really flattered when I mentioned that I saw him perform at a comedy club in Maine a few years back. Also getting to talk with fellow fans in line on Friday night before the movie screening and in between photo ops and signings was fun too. I attended The Real Ghostbusters reunion panel in the early part of the festival, which was great hearing Dave, Maurice, and producer Joe Medjuck talk about making the show. Maurice mentioned that his two favorite lines from the entire 140 episode run are Egon's deadpan "I am having a wonderful time" to Winston at his birthday party in "Slimer, Come Home" and "Sometimes I think the universe just waits for me to get cocky." from When Halloween Was Forever.
In the description of the class packages, one thing included in each (classes 3, 5, 10 at least) was an "Exclusive Pack of Ghostbusters Collectibles". As far as I can tell, these were the 'exclusives':

- 35th anniversary GB bottle opener
- 35th anniversary GB pin
- IDW comic with Fan Fest variant cover
- Playmobil GB2 figure (not really exclusive at all)

Pretty disappointing 'exclusives' in my opinion. If the Playmobil was a Fan Fest exclusive, I would feel a little better about these, but it's not. (and I didn't include the pins, patches, tote bag, posters, because those were mentioned separately in the class package descriptions)

Also listed as included in each package (classes 1, 3, 5, 10) was "Exclusive Poster and Lithograph". However, am I mistaken or did we not just receive 2 different posters? Both are cool, but neither looks like a lithograph to me.
cmcanall wrote:In the description of the class packages, one thing included in each (classes 3, 5, 10 at least) was an "Exclusive Pack of Ghostbusters Collectibles". As far as I can tell, these were the 'exclusives':

- 35th anniversary GB bottle opener
- 35th anniversary GB pin
- IDW comic with Fan Fest variant cover
- Playmobil GB2 figure (not really exclusive at all)

Pretty disappointing 'exclusives' in my opinion. If the Playmobil was a Fan Fest exclusive, I would feel a little better about these, but it's not. (and I didn't include the pins, patches, tote bag, posters, because those were mentioned separately in the class package descriptions)

Also listed as included in each package (classes 1, 3, 5, 10) was "Exclusive Poster and Lithograph". However, am I mistaken or did we not just receive 2 different posters? Both are cool, but neither looks like a lithograph to me.
Supposedly, there were different items in the bags which really boiled down to when you arrived at the event. Items were substituted when pieces ran out. We didn't receive a comic in ours, but we had five different patches commemorating each of the 3 movies and the video game along with a Fan Fest patch. Some people received the new steelbook blu-ray autographed by Dan and Ernie with a clear plastic slime cover (exclusive). When those ran out, DVD's were being added to the bags. No lithograph in ours either but contained the two different posters.
Perhaps the "Fan Fest" patch was the commemorative patch listed separately from the exclusives under the package description "Commemorative Pin and Patch" (the pin being a 35th anniversary pin). Maybe the other 4 patches would then be considered 'exclusive'? I do like those a lot actually. I think the Playmobil figure is what disappointed me the most. Nothing exclusive about it at all.

And that's a bummer if not everyone that had a class package received a signed Blu-ray with the exclusive slime cover, as that was specifically listed as included in each package (whereas the comic was not). Were the DVDs signed?
Yeah. The DVDs were opened and signed on the slip cover. I only spoke to people that either got Dan or Ernie.

I’m pretty disappointed to say the least with the inconsistencies and unorganized structure of the entire event.

We had people tell us they bought a con admission for $40, not a FanFest general admission mind you, and walk up, unchecked and get multiple class package autographs for free. That is absolutely unacceptable for the people that paid $1500 or less for their class packages for the same experience.
deadderek liked this
I can dig Fan Fest and all, nabbing the autographs but the Exclusives sound like something you'd find in a Vending Machine... Major bummer. :roland:
Over-priced given that the event ended up being a let-down? or was it worth it??
Are you kidding me? Class packages with signed movies were supposed to have the 4K set? I was wondering if that was a class 10 thing. The fact that they had them even prepared means they KNEW they would run out of 4K sets!
Insane, devious and infuriating, among the rest of the messy operation. Our class 1 tickets got upgraded Witt the Reitman photo but that never happened. We went to the panels instead when our line stopped moving for 25 minutes.
DrVenkman1984 liked this
DrVenkman1984 wrote:Correct. One autograph.
Relistened to what the Wizard World organizer Lanie Sarem told YHS in their episode 147 at the end of April and it sounds like the Blu-ray was only guaranteed for class 10 packages. As far as I know, the Blu-rays (received in class 10 packages) were all signed by both Dan and Ernie and had the 'exclusive' slime cover over them as well.
Ectojeff88 wrote: June 10th, 2019, 10:30 pm Are you kidding me? Class packages with signed movies were supposed to have the 4K set? I was wondering if that was a class 10 thing. The fact that they had them even prepared means they KNEW they would run out of 4K sets!
Insane, devious and infuriating, among the rest of the messy operation.
Our class 1 tickets got upgraded Witt the Reitman photo but that never happened. We went to the panels instead when our line stopped moving for 25 minutes.
I wont lie, it looked like a freakin' blast! Im only TRYING to compare this to NYC, Denver & SDCC so I can stop kicking myself for Not going.
However...
Did SONY think that they wouldnt sell out? Employee screw up in the stockroom? ...im surprised that theres Not more video on Youtube!
OH! Did anyone here get to meet Slavitza Jovan???
Ectojeff88 wrote: June 10th, 2019, 10:30 pm Are you kidding me? Class packages with signed movies were supposed to have the 4K set? I was wondering if that was a class 10 thing. The fact that they had them even prepared means they KNEW they would run out of 4K sets!
Insane, devious and infuriating, among the rest of the messy operation.
Our class 1 tickets got upgraded Witt the Reitman photo but that never happened. We went to the panels instead when our line stopped moving for 25 minutes.
I wont lie, it looked like a freakin' blast! Im only TRYING to compare this to NYC, Denver & SDCC so I can stop kicking myself for Not going.
However...
Did SONY think that they wouldnt sell out? Employee screw up in the stockroom? ...im surprised that theres Not more video on Youtube!
OH! Did anyone here get to meet Slavitza Jovan??? (Only autograph Im missing)
I’ve been to a number of Wizard World events and in my experience, they were all a mess. I recognize that the experience of others my vary. But what I have enjoyed at those events were the people I met.

Not sure it was Sony in the driver seat. Without defending or criticizing WW, my guess is they (WW) didn’t sell the numbers they projected at original pricing. They offered the cheaper tickets late in the game as a way of recovering some of the projected revenue shortfall but probably had to cut out some costs (like staff and training) in an effort to eek out some profit. They, after all, do this to make money.
Dr.D wrote: June 11th, 2019, 10:48 am I gotta think Sony handed most of it off to Wizard, and made the mistake of assuming things were in good hands. Unfortunately it's Wizard and they could mess up making a cup of coffee.
Dr.D liked this
Am I the only one that thought the moderator for the earlier panels on the main stage (Sophia Temperilli) was an embarrassment? She's a 20 year old paranormal radio show host who seemed to know very little about the subject matters or the people being interviewed. She even mistakenly asked Maurice LaMarche a question as though he was Joe Medjuk! In general, she also just seemed awkward oftentimes as an interviewer. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she's a lot better on her radio program, but she seemed way out of place at Fan Fest.
Troy, back liked this
cmcanall wrote: June 11th, 2019, 5:09 pm Am I the only one that thought the moderator for the earlier panels on the main stage (Sophia Temperilli) was an embarrassment? She's a 20 year old paranormal radio show host who seemed to know very little about the subject matters or the people being interviewed. She even mistakenly asked Maurice LaMarche a question as though he was Joe Medjuk! In general, she also just seemed awkward oftentimes as an interviewer. I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she's a lot better on her radio program, but she seemed way out of place at Fan Fest.
Right there with you. Kato and the young YouTube paranormal investigator were definitely odd choices to run the main stage. Between the two of them, conversations took strange turns.

That said, I was extremely thankful to see Anthony Breznican step in for the last couple panels of the day. He also has recently moderated the main stage panels at Star Wars Celebration. Even from the first Celebration in Denver, the moderators (Warwick Davis, Mary Franklin, James Arnold Taylor, David Collins, etc.) have always been insightful and had connections to the franchise.
I'm more of a reader than a frequent poster to this site so I understand any skepticism to what I'm going to share regarding my experience with Wizard World regarding the recent Fan Fest.

I'm the writer and operator of my own pop culture media site, as well as the proud owner of an Ecto replica vehicle, which I actually showcased at a Wizard World event last year right after the Fan Fest was announced. WW liked my replica so much, they wanted me to get in touch with the person supposedly responsible for having fan Ectomobiles at the announced Fan Fest. When I first reached out to him, I received a fairly quick response saying he would get back to me when he knew more.

Since I didn't want to rely on bringing the Ecto to attend, I also applied for a Press Pass, twice. In both applications I asked that if approved, could I be notified with enough time to make travel arrangements due to where I was coming from. I also reached out to another individual last year inquiring about my application, and copied the firts above-mentioned individual.

To make a really long and aggravating story short, after sending the original WW employee 3 additional emails, including copying the other individual on one email, not including my notes in the two press applications, I received no email communication until literally 3 weeks before the event telling me I did in fact receive a press pass. Unfortunately at that point, flights were so expensive, it priced me right out of being able to attend the event, even with the free press admission. I tried to scramble to find a flight for a week or so, then tried reaching out to the second contact to ask for possible help, to which they couldn't. Furthermore, through a random article about the Build-Your-Own Ecto-1 from Eaglemoss that I found out about a week before the Fan Fest, I noticed a link to WW submission page to request bringing your fan-made Ecto replicas to fan fest. I was never able to find it on the site whenever I looked, and the most frustrating part is, I never received any email back from the original WW employee after a year of emailing for info and their promise to get back to me on whether I could bring it.

Alas, I shared my negative feedback with both employees in a very professional matter, sharing my gratitude for the invite, but frustration with lack of communication which led to me being a no show. However, instead of a simple apology for lack of communication, I was asked for specific proof of my communications with everyone between certain dates. Once I supplied the proof, I was basically told "That's all you have?" At this point, my blood started to boil. I didn't realize it took more than one email to get a communication back from people these days, especially a company that is providing a service to fans and the public.

Anyway, the real kicker is, during our rapid-fire email exchange, the second person (who asked me for proof), shoots off an email to me that was obviously not meant for me! Their email said, and I quote:

"Indeed. He is full of shit. I’ll copy you on my stronger email and we’ll be done w him."

Here is a heavily redacted screen capture of the email:

I'm reaching out to other higher powers about the incident, but plan on posting the unedited version if nothing is done.

What makes this is all the more crazy is the fact this is coming from someone that is supposed to be the "positive" face of WW with regards to communication with the public and press.

To say this company could care less about the fans, the press, or anyone else but themselves, is the understatement of the decade. I know some people who had some fun moments at the Fan Fest, but also said overall it was a mess organizationally and the execution of the event seemed like it was last-minute despite having over a year to plan. I even heard several vendors pulled out days before as did other food trucks. In the end, while I'm bummed I didn't get to meet more great GB fans, it sounds like a blessing in disguise I wasn't able to go.

Needless to say, I will never attend, promote, or recommend anyone go near ANY Wizard World event with a mile-long pole. Your mileage may vary, but just thought I'd share my own dealings with the company.
Last edited by puckcowboy on June 13th, 2019, 9:42 am, edited 4 times in total.

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]

I found a cool tube at Ollies discount outlet, and[…]