By QuartZ
Masterful work!
Thank you for your kind words.
This is some of the coolest shit I've ever seen this community produce. :)
Wow. I take that as a serious compliment, thank you!
That is so clean and well-done that I teared up a little just seeing it coming together.
Absolutely incredible. Can't wait to see the continued progress.
Thanks, I'm trying to keep it accurate in form and fairly clean so that the printed nature of it will be hidden in the end. I'm also planning to add in some intentional slop/human error during the finishing phase that will give recover some of that handmade 80s prop feel.

It is really satisfying to get past the major assembly/sanding phase for the shell. Knowing that only smaller/simpler parts remain (not counting the thrower) is a bit of a relief.

-Dana
By QuartZ
Here are the fruits of my recent design/engineering efforts on the Ion Arm. I decided I wanted to print the arm in 3 pieces, a main hollow body (3mm thick walls) and a top and bottom plate featuring holes and integration for mounting hardware. I decided to put a different type of 'nut trap' in these plates that will hold a hex nuts (1/4-20 for the bottom and 10-32 for the top). The nuts will be press fit into the plates and aligned with the holes, then the plates will be glued to the main body joining everything together. Here's the exploded view:

The top/bottom plates already came off the printer. You can see the slots that the hex nuts slide into :

The other side (you get a better sense of how the nut trap slots align with the holes that the screws pass through:

I'll post another update once the main body part is off the printer. It's an 8 hour part.

-Dana
By QuartZ
Hey gang!

So, I'm working on the rest of the parts that attach to the shell and I figured out how I want to create my Beam Line and Filler Tube. I could have 3D printed them as a solid parts but I don't really want to sand cylindrical tube elements if I don't have to. Aluminum IS heavier than the PLA plastic for the tube sections of these parts, but I think the time I save in printing the tubes and the time I would save not having to sand and fill the tubes to get them smooth is the right move. With that in mind, I designed them to have a base piece and a lid piece that is printed. These will include internal hex nuts (using nut traps designed into the parts) for mounting to the shell, and an NPT nut for the Clippard fitting on the Beam Line.

Here are the parts that get assembled:
And here's what they look like dry-fit together:
And here's a quick update shot of the pack with the most recent parts added. I used 1/4-20 hardware to mount everything.

I plan to use Aves Apoxie Sculpt to make my welds on each. But I'll get to that when I'm in my detailing phase for all of the parts. Now that I've figured out this design, I'm going to apply it to the other similar tube-based parts.

-Dana
twmedford23 liked this
By QuartZ
Back to share more progress...

I got the booster frame printed. I included a masonite-like pattern on the inner bars:
I finished the HGA lid and mount design, and got those printed:
The little dowel/peg gets glued into the bracket bar. I have a corresponding indexing hole in my shell design to help me get the orientation right once the holes for the Legris elbow and Clippard fitting are drilled and tapped. Again, overkill:
This lid piece ended up fitting a little loose in the aluminum tube. So I adjusted a diameter on the inner shoulder and reprinted it (not pictured here). What you can see is that I decided to design the part with the 1/4-20 threads for the screws built right in. Since the screws are cosmetic and don't bear any load other than their own weight, I figured the plastic threads will do:
Here's a photo showing how the HGA bracket and peg match the shell. Hopefully that makes sense seeing them lined up like this:

I also printed parts and glued up the assemblies for the Injectors and Vacuum Tube. I didn't take photos as they pretty much matched what I posted for the Beam Line and Filler Tube parts (basically). However I did snap some shots this morning of the pack with all of these parts test fit and mounted. It's really taking shape now!
I'm going to work on the PPD and Booster Tube next.

-Dana
By QuartZ
Hi Gang!

Yesterday I started in on the Booster Tube. I didn't mention it in my earlier post about aluminum tubes, but I've chosen to go with all of the recommended tube dimensions in this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25357 I haven't had the best luck with the online vendor speedymetals in the past, so I go with onlinemetals (.com) in case others are looking for alternative sources.

Moving on, in order to cut my 2.5" OD tube at the right angle for my shell, I designed a simple little helper tool that slides over the aluminum and gives me the correct angle to mark and cut. I printed it out, marked the overall length of the tube to find the end of the angled cut, taped the helper to the tube and then traced a line onto the aluminum with a pen. Here's a photo of the helper print:

I used a hacksaw and a vise to make the cut. It came out pretty clean. I drilled the mounting holes and used 1/4-20 screws and nuts to mount it. There's a bit of a gap between the shell and the angled cut here and there, but overall the fit is good enough. I plan to create the weld detail where they meet anyway, so any gap will be hidden later.

As you can see above, I also marked, drilled and tapped the 10-32 holes in the Booster Tube so that I could get the Booster Frame attached. This was pretty easy. Back to deciding/working out how I want to mount my PPD so I can get that on next.

-Dana
twmedford23, Kingpin liked this
By QuartZ
I am working on the PPD :), but got excited about printing my Shock Mount/Bellows so I went for it. I'm really happy with what I came up with to get this to print cleanly and incorporate a mounting solution to the 1/4-20 screw coming through the bumper. Here's my print bed with all of the pieces:

There are a few interesting pieces in there. There's a unique top and bottom piece (hard to tell), and a pair of discs in the upper right that allow me to trap a 1/4-20 hex nut inside the assembly. Also there's a little helper tool that lets me center the top piece via the small hole.

I use a 1/4-20 bolt to help align all of the parts on center (I will be gluing them all together once I give them a quick sanding/filler primer). The hex nut is contained in 2 layers as seen here:

Then the rest of the parts are stacked and glued on top of that. Once all parts are glued, I can simply unthread the 1/4-20 screw used to align the pieces and "tada" you have a 1-piece Shock Mount with strong metal threads trapped inside. ;)

-Dana
Kingpin, TragicManner, twmedford23 and 2 others liked this
By Scuba Steve
I borrowed a 3D printer for the summer from the Elementary School where I work and have just started playing around with it. I'd have a blast playing aroudn with this build if/when you ever release/sell a complete set of plans for this pack.

Hey Peet! I've since scanned the art in but I hav[…]

Ghostbusters: Extended Edition Fanedit

Per a post of his from several years ago, he's not[…]

It will be animated, I’m going to use an[…]

Anovos Acquires GB License

Their GB patch and ESP cards are great. I was seri[…]