Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Dr.D
Not sure how long you've worked in the entertainment industry, but hiring kids as a cost saving measure just isn't a thing. Kids are expensive as hell given the intense labor codes you have to adhere to, not to mention having to more than likely fly parents/guardians as well as hiring things like on-set teachers and most probably extra on-set security. The amount of clerical work that goes into clearing minors for work is maddening, for the right reasons mind you. But hiring kids to save money? Swing and a miss.

I've worked on two different network shows (one for CBS one for NBC) both which utilized child actors at one point or another and I can absolutely guarantee that is not really an efficient way to save money.
Last edited by Dr.D on June 14th, 2019, 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Alphagaia
Violet, as in Harold Ramis' actual daughter, which could imply the main lead is related to Egon, or at least a Ghostbuster. If it's Egon, I'm pretty sure he haunts/protects her.

If this true, I'm also betting on the title of the movie to be GB: Afterlife.
Sav C liked this
By 80sguy
Dr.D wrote: June 14th, 2019, 4:57 pm Not sure how long you've worked in the entertainment industry, but hiring kids as a cost saving measure just isn't a thing. Kids are expensive as hell given the intense labor codes you have to adhere to, not to mention having to more than likely fly parents/guardians as well as hiring things like on-set teachers and most probably extra on-set security. The amount of clerical work that goes into clearing minors for work is maddening, for the right reasons mind you. But hiring kids to save money? Swing and a miss.

I've worked on two different network shows (one for CBS one for NBC) both which utilized child actors at one point or another and I can absolutely guarantee that is not really an efficient way to save money.
Yeah, I've done background work before and I've been casted as a High School student on more than one occasion (I'm older than I look). A majority of them needed their parents with them because they were under age, and they could only do a certain amount of hours. I was one of the few that didn't need a parent. It was definitely a bit of hassle for the crew. That's why they tend to cast adult actors to play teenagers, or if it possible, change the child character to a teen so a young adult could play them.
Dr.D liked this
By RichardLess
Dr.D wrote: June 14th, 2019, 4:57 pm Not sure how long you've worked in the entertainment industry, but hiring kids as a cost saving measure just isn't a thing. Kids are expensive as hell given the intense labor codes you have to adhere to, not to mention having to more than likely fly parents/guardians as well as hiring things like on-set teachers and most probably extra on-set security. The amount of clerical work that goes into clearing minors for work is maddening, for the right reasons mind you. But hiring kids to save money? Swing and a miss.

Exactly. Kids add can add an incredible amount to production for those exact reasons. After what happened during production of Twilight Zone: The Movie, the industry really started taking things more seriously. Kids can only work certain hours, need tutors, the insurance costs are more, not to mention they generally require more takes and prep, plus all the things you mentioned.
deadderek, Dr.D liked this
By Slimered

More money than, say, Ben Stiller or Jack Black though?
By 80sguy
Slimered wrote: June 15th, 2019, 4:20 pm

More money than, say, Ben Stiller or Jack Black though?
And Jack Black would be cheaper than getting the Queen of England to star, what's your point?

If your argument was that kids were more cost effective, well it's not. It's more a hassle than anything, which is why studios tend to avoid it when possible. Throwing in a variable like a bigger star throws your point off. Yeah, of course a bigger star is gonna cost more, that doesn't mean casting kids was still the easier option.

Also, Macaulay Culkin would of been pretty expensive at the high point of his career, and his pay would have been more than most of the adult co-stars. He definitely wouldn't have been a cheaper option.
deadderek liked this
By deadderek
RichRyan1507 wrote: June 16th, 2019, 6:49 am*yawn*
Very good RichRyan1507...short but pointless.
Sav C, Kingpin, mrmichaelt and 1 others liked this
By timeware
I'm no stranger to short and pointless. I'm kind of annoyed that with all the hype for fan fest we didn't even get shots of the new uniforms or confirmation they'll be using the old ones. much less new equipment. Give us something to work with damnit!
By RichRyan1507
timeware wrote: June 17th, 2019, 8:11 am I'm no stranger to short and pointless. I'm kind of annoyed that with all the hype for fan fest we didn't even get shots of the new uniforms or confirmation they'll be using the old ones. much less new equipment. Give us something to work with damnit!
For real! Thankfully, we're only 4 weeks from start of shooting. SOMETHING has to leak out at some point after that.
By Alphagaia
Dr.D wrote: June 17th, 2019, 10:07 am The only people who hyped Fan Fest up in relation to GB 2020 were fans. Ya'll played yourselves.
I do believe it was Richardless who said there was something big in the pipeline, which would be revealed this month, but to be fair, he did not say it would be during the Fan Fest.

Made sense to drop some info though, and they did, just not as much as I thought.
By Dr.D
Of what I do know about the production, I know that they are doing their utmost to hire as many locals as possible. Friend of mine was campaigning for the role of Art Director but they were told department heads were being hired locally. Probably to help with tax incentives. From the sounds of it, it seems like nearly everything is going to be filmed in Canada, although of course there is always the possibility of second units filming elsewhere. But I'm definitely getting the impression the bulk of this movie will be filmed up North.
By Davideverona
Alphagaia wrote: June 17th, 2019, 11:00 am
Dr.D wrote: June 17th, 2019, 10:07 am The only people who hyped Fan Fest up in relation to GB 2020 were fans. Ya'll played yourselves.
I do believe it was Richardless who said there was something big in the pipeline, which would be revealed this month, but to be fair, he did not say it would be during the Fan Fest.

Made sense to drop some info though, and they did, just not as much as I thought.
He said July

Hey, here's something new!!

https://hnentertainment.co/jason-reitma ... -director/
By Slimered
EddieSpenser wrote: June 17th, 2019, 11:15 am I really wonder if people from the production crew are browsing this thread.
I hope they are, because then they can report back to Jason Reitman and tell him it's time to officially announce the return of the original Ghostbusters.
By Kingpin
Slimered wrote: June 17th, 2019, 4:22 pmI hope they are, because then they can report back to Jason Reitman and tell him it's time to officially announce the return of the original Ghostbusters.
That's not what the production crew would be focussing on. If anyone is doing that, it'd be some low-level employees in the production.
By SpaceBallz
*checks thread for any new bits or spy pics*
*sees various hypothesis, Slimered getting downvotes*

*returns to work on the hearse*
RichRyan1507, savintheday, Dr.D and 2 others liked this
By Dr.D
Yes you can really tell in that PRINT interview that the executive producer/co-creator of the series is really upset whiny fanboys haven't gotten to hear everything yet about a movie that is still in pre-production.

Next time you wanna post, maybe read it back to yourself out loud. smdh
Kingpin, seekandannoy liked this
By RichardLess
Casting speculation doesn't interest me as much as crew speculation.

Is Jason sticking with his regular collaboration team? I've said before that one of the things that bummed me out about GB16 was the lack of all star talent behind the camera. Ivan Reitman hired the best of the best of the best for those first two Ghostbusters films. I mean, Michael "Taxi Driver/Raging Bull" Chapman? Bo Welch? Dennis Murren? Laslo Kovac? Elmer Bernstein? Richard Edlund? John De Cuir? Those are some hall of fame names. I'm probably leaving some out.

Anyways, I'd love to know who Jason is using as a cinematographer, composer(please not Rolfe Kent. Please) production designer... I think I remember hearing something about them using some Elmer Bernstein cues.

My dream team? I'll give my top three choices for each department:
Music: Howard Shore/James Newton Howard/Michael Giachino
cinematographer: Darius Wolski/Roger Deakins/Larry Fong:
Production Designer: Rick Heinrichs/Guy Hendrix Dyas/Rick Carter

Oh baby. If any of these guys work on this movie? I'll be a happy fanboy. Come on Jason! Expand your aesthetic!
By Kingpin
Slimered wrote: June 18th, 2019, 4:22 pmYou can tell reading that interview that he is frustrated at the PR campaign for this film. Hardly any news being released, no confirmation of the full cast, no announcement of the title or basic plot...
To be honest I think you're projecting onto Dan here.

The article conveys Dan's frustration of "Hellbent" never getting off of the ground.
It also conveys his frustration at not being able to keep an eye on the spending on Answer The Call.
Then there's his frustration at how Leslie, Melissa, Kate and Kristen were treated by the online trolls.

But beyond his remark of "That's about all I can say about it", there's nothing else there that could be interpretted at his "frustration at the P.R. campaign" for next year's film, or at the trickle of information. There may be a bit of frustration from the person who wrote the article, as we who write reports on developments like to have something of substance to go on, but you're drawing that conclusion from nothing.

It's not so much as putting words in his mouth as putting frustrations in his head.
Sav C liked this

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]