Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By RichRyan1507
I vote Peter Bernstein. He's actually a great composer and conductor in his own right. He's also the curator of his father's work and could probably riff off of his work on 84 better than anyone. Plus, another father/son connection for the movie!
Kingpin, seekandannoy liked this
By timeware
Dr.D wrote: June 18th, 2019, 7:09 pm Uh he is still alive.
could have sworn I heard he was dead a few years ago. One couldn't say resurrect his career because the man's a god dang genius.
By robbritton
RichRyan1507 wrote: June 18th, 2019, 7:44 pm I vote Peter Bernstein. He's actually a great composer and conductor in his own right. He's also the curator of his father's work and could probably riff off of his work on 84 better than anyone. Plus, another father/son connection for the movie!
It would seem the logical choice, given what a heritage project this is shaping up to be.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By Coover5
timeware wrote: June 18th, 2019, 9:08 pm
Dr.D wrote: June 18th, 2019, 7:09 pm Uh he is still alive.
could have sworn I heard he was dead a few years ago. One couldn't say resurrect his career because the man's a god dang genius.
you did but it wasn't true. He was victim of those odd Hollywood death hoaxes.
Dr.D wrote: June 18th, 2019, 5:07 pm If we're talking about potential composers, Bear McCreary has my vote. His work on Godzilla was absolutely stunning.
Danny Elfman would be a dream come true for me. He is awesome with whimsical yet creepy scores like Beetlejuice or other Tim Burton things and I could see him making an awesome Ghostbusters score.
By RichardLess
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: June 19th, 2019, 8:47 pm
Dr.D wrote: June 18th, 2019, 5:07 pm If we're talking about potential composers, Bear McCreary has my vote. His work on Godzilla was absolutely stunning.
Danny Elfman would be a dream come true for me. He is awesome with whimsical yet creepy scores like Beetlejuice or other Tim Burton things and I could see him making an awesome Ghostbusters score.
Danny Elfman is his prime? Sure. Danny Elfman now? I'd pass on that.

You know what's odd? (Ok. Maybe not "odd" but mildly interesting and relevant to what you just mentioned) When I was a kid I had this VHS tape of Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters 2 and Beetlejuice all on the same tape(it had been recorded off of Pay Per View or something). Anyways whenever I would watch GB2 & it would get to the very end when Venkman says "No I believe it's one of the Fettuccine's" the VHS tape would cut and go directly into the main title sequence of Beetlejuice. So for years, up until the 1999 DVD/VHS remaster release, I had never seen the end credits of Ghostbusters 2. I missed out on all that extra footage. Not only that, and I swear to god this is true, to this very day *everytime* I watch Ghostbusters 2 and it gets to the end when Venkman says that final line? Without fail I still expect to hear that bombastic Danny Elfman Beetlejuice theme. It's like a pavlovian response.
That tape had some tracking problems during GB1 and it would screw up in 2 places, the first is the scene after they are kicked out of the university, when Venkman and Ray are discussing the potential for going into business. The other was when the Ecto containment explodes and Louis says "this is it this is the sign". For some stupid reason, in my stupid child head, when I was a kid and Venkman says "for whatever reason Ray, call it fate, call it luck, call it Karma" and my tape would screw up? I thought I was missing out on a musical number. Lol I swear. I thought Venkman was about to start singing a song by the way he's speaking. I also thought Ray was drinking cough syrup during the scene.

Sorry to go so off topic but as I'm writing this all out its got me remembering stuff. You know how the cigarette hangs or sticks to Rays lip for a second or two when he first spots Slimer? As a kid I thought that was the coolest damn thing I'd ever seen in my life. Don't ask me why. So there use to be this candy I could buy at a local corner store, they were white chalky sticks and I can't for the life of me remember what they were called(I want to say they had something to do with Pop-Eye. But don't quote me on that). Anyways, I use to pretend these white chalky sticks were cigarettes and I would try over and over to get that thing to stick to my bottom lip. Couldn't do it. It's a good thing I was an asthmatic because I thought smoking, especially smoking in Ghostbusters, looked like the coolest thing ever. It did. But I was always too afraid to steal one of my dads because of my asthma. Those were the days...

Anyways...I digress...Danny Elfman isn't the composer he use to be. What was his last quality score? Big Fish?
robbritton liked this
By Sav C
I'll be honest, I vaguely recall thinking it was cough syrup, too. Nowadays I just think that it's really cool (doesn't take much to impress the socially naive, lol).

Anyway, that's too funny about that smoking stuff. I know exactly what candies you're talking about--people always used to hand them out to me at Halloween. I think they actually are called Popeyes, since Popeye is on the pack. I still pick them up at the bodega on occasion.

Big Fish was a great movie, I should give that a rewatch sometime...
By Kingpin
Slimered wrote: June 19th, 2019, 4:19 pmExactly. You can tell he is frustrated at the way the PR for the film is going.
No. No he isn't.

That's all he can say because either he's contractually obligated to keep mum about the new film, or he's not going into detail about what he knows out of respect for Jason.

Anytime he does talk on camera about the next movie, it's with great enthusiasm. You're reading into his feelings something that isn't there, and it's starting to get annoying.
RichRyan1507, Sav C liked this
By robbritton
RichardLess wrote: June 19th, 2019, 10:43 pm
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: June 19th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Danny Elfman is his prime? Sure. Danny Elfman now? I'd pass on that.

You know what's odd? (Ok. Maybe not "odd" but mildly interesting and relevant to what you just mentioned) When I was a kid I had this VHS tape of Ghostbusters/Ghostbusters 2 and Beetlejuice all on the same tape(it had been recorded off of Pay Per View or something). Anyways whenever I would watch GB2 & it would get to the very end when Venkman says "No I believe it's one of the Fettuccine's" the VHS tape would cut and go directly into the main title sequence of Beetlejuice. So for years, up until the 1999 DVD/VHS remaster release, I had never seen the end credits of Ghostbusters 2. I missed out on all that extra footage. Not only that, and I swear to god this is true, to this very day *everytime* I watch Ghostbusters 2 and it gets to the end when Venkman says that final line? Without fail I still expect to hear that bombastic Danny Elfman Beetlejuice theme. It's like a pavlovian response.
That tape had some tracking problems during GB1 and it would screw up in 2 places, the first is the scene after they are kicked out of the university, when Venkman and Ray are discussing the potential for going into business. The other was when the Ecto containment explodes and Louis says "this is it this is the sign". For some stupid reason, in my stupid child head, when I was a kid and Venkman says "for whatever reason Ray, call it fate, call it luck, call it Karma" and my tape would screw up? I thought I was missing out on a musical number. Lol I swear. I thought Venkman was about to start singing a song by the way he's speaking. I also thought Ray was drinking cough syrup during the scene.

Sorry to go so off topic but as I'm writing this all out its got me remembering stuff. You know how the cigarette hangs or sticks to Rays lip for a second or two when he first spots Slimer? As a kid I thought that was the coolest damn thing I'd ever seen in my life. Don't ask me why. So there use to be this candy I could buy at a local corner store, they were white chalky sticks and I can't for the life of me remember what they were called(I want to say they had something to do with Pop-Eye. But don't quote me on that). Anyways, I use to pretend these white chalky sticks were cigarettes and I would try over and over to get that thing to stick to my bottom lip. Couldn't do it. It's a good thing I was an asthmatic because I thought smoking, especially smoking in Ghostbusters, looked like the coolest thing ever. It did. But I was always too afraid to steal one of my dads because of my asthma. Those were the days...

Anyways...I digress...Danny Elfman isn't the composer he use to be. What was his last quality score? Big Fish?
On a similar theme, the sound cut out in one spot of the ITV premiere of GB1, so I had to wait for a retail VHS to actually find out what the magic word was!

But yeah, Oingo Boingo are on Ghostbusters 2, so I guess we already have a technical Danny Elfman Ghostbusters score!
By 80sguy
Slimered wrote: June 19th, 2019, 4:19 pm
Kingpin wrote: June 18th, 2019, 5:02 pm
But beyond his remark of "That's about all I can say about it"
Exactly. You can tell he is frustrated at the way the PR for the film is going.
1) You aren't even hearing how he says it. You have no way of telling the tone of his voice or attitude from that.
2) Even if you aren't hearing it here, Dan's tone so far has been enthusiastic. There's been no "frustration" and shown thus far.
3) Arnold Schwarzenegger has said a similar thing about the new Terminator film, and you know why? Because he's on a veto by the studio not to disclose info on the film. That's likely the case here. Studios don't want leaks from their actors, that can potentially hurt film. Hell Marvel films only gave portions of the scripts to actors and sometimes fake ones as a way to prevent leaks.

You're projecting your thoughts on it more than anything.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichardLess
Sav C wrote: June 19th, 2019, 11:24 pm I'll be honest, I vaguely recall thinking it was cough syrup, too. Nowadays I just think that it's really cool (doesn't take much to impress the socially naive, lol).

Anyway, that's too funny about that smoking stuff. I know exactly what candies you're talking about--people always used to hand them out to me at Halloween. I think they actually are called Popeyes, since Popeye is on the pack. I still pick them up at the bodega on occasion.

Exactly! They were everywhere around Halloween. Do you live in Canada by any chance? They weren't advertised as candy "cigarettes" or anything. They just had Popeye on them. Maybe that's what they use to be, but when I grew up there's no way they would allow candy cigarettes to be sold to kids. No way. But that's what we all pretended they were.
Sav C liked this
By Coover5
There are 4 major "tobacco" candy products. Big League Chew. Licorice Pipes. Candy Cigarettes. Taffy cigars. I found two of those available in Canada via online candy shops (Chew and pipes) So it wouldn't be shocking if they had candy cigarettes at least pre 2002 or so.
By Sav C
RichardLess wrote: June 20th, 2019, 10:44 am
Sav C wrote: June 19th, 2019, 11:24 pm I'll be honest, I vaguely recall thinking it was cough syrup, too. Nowadays I just think that it's really cool (doesn't take much to impress the socially naive, lol).

Exactly! They were everywhere around Halloween. Do you live in Canada by any chance? They weren't advertised as candy "cigarettes" or anything. They just had Popeye on them. Maybe that's what they use to be, but when I grew up there's no way they would allow candy cigarettes to be sold to kids. No way. But that's what we all pretended they were.
Yeah, I'm in BC. If I was more enterprising (and less practical) I would've tried to secure a job on GB's Calgary set. But alas, I wouldn't even know where to start.

They definitely aren't called cigarettes now, although my siblings and I always pretended that they were.
By Slimered
Sony will be really desperate for this film to be a success now Men In Black International flopped. I'm trying to think what successful franchises they have:

- James Bond
- Jumanji
- Spider-Man/Spider-Verse

I think that's it. They really need a fourth successful franchise right now that can keep returning, producing the money and for audiences to keep showing up for.
By RichardLess
Coover5 wrote: June 20th, 2019, 1:52 pm There are 4 major "tobacco" candy products. Big League Chew. Licorice Pipes. Candy Cigarettes. Taffy cigars. I found two of those available in Canada via online candy shops (Chew and pipes) So it wouldn't be shocking if they had candy cigarettes at least pre 2002 or so.
Ok? Online is one thing

There is no candy sold in Canadian candy shops to kids that look like cigarettes. Legally anyways. The candy I'm talking about didn't have a cigarette anywhere on it. Just Popeye the sailor man. The candy was entirely white. Now at one point I'm sure it was a candy cigarette, maybe in the '60s or '70s. But in the mid '90s it was just something we pretended was a cigarette. Not only that but my parents wouldn't in a million years let me anywhere near a product that was advertising itself as a candy cigarette. Noooo way lol.
Sav C liked this
By *NormalGamer*
Slimered wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:16 pm Sony will be really desperate for this film to be a success now Men In Black International flopped. I'm trying to think what successful franchises they have:

- James Bond
- Jumanji

I think that's it. They really need a fourth successful franchise right now that can keep returning, producing the money and for audiences to keep showing up for.
Sony Pictures lost the rights years ago for Bond since Spectre; Universal Pictures now owns international rights while MGM and Annapurna owns domestic distribution rights. No more sony involvement.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ly-1114810
By RichardLess
*NormalGamer* wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:49 pm
Slimered wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:16 pm Sony will be really desperate for this film to be a success now Men In Black International flopped. I'm trying to think what successful franchises they have:

- James Bond
- Jumanji

Sony lost the rights months ago for Bond; Universal Pictures now owns international rights while MGM and Annapurna owns domestic distribution rights.

Well they also have Venom and all the offshoots from Spider-Man, Venom, crappy though it was, was a huge hit for them.
Sony's real problem is lack of original IP. They have nothing. Ghostbusters is really it for them. The problem with MiB isn't just its low gross, the problem is that they took Spielberg as producer when they made the first one. He gets first dollar gross points. Same with Will Smith. So they elimated Will Smith but Spielberg still gets his share. No matter if they break even or lose money. First dollar gross deals are dangerous. Sony needs IP and badly. They've shown they can't even properly manage their golden goose: Spider-Man. Kevin Feige had to come in and show them how it's done. Then there's Ghostbusters. Sony couldn't even greenlit a 3rd GB movie for YEARS until everyone was onboard and gave the OK. The 4 main players have(or had) Veto rights. I think Sony bought them out thought during the forming of Ghostcorp. Then after years of teasing a sequel, before Harold Ramis body is cold they annouce a reboot that no one wanted. But let's not open that wound..

Look at what other studios have:
Universal for example has the Fast Furious franchise, Jurrasic Park/World, they also have the animated Minions and that whole animation studio. They have Jaws, The Mummy/ Frankenstein all those monster movies. They have Back to the Future
Warner's has Harry Potter and all the DC stuff, plus The Matrix and waay more
Disney has...everything. Disney has everything.
Paramount has Transformers, GI:Joe, Mission Impossible, Star Trek, Tomb Raider etc..

Sony is waaay behind. It wouldn't surprise me if they are sold off in the next 5-10 years. A major conglomerate like...I don't know, maybe Disney? Maybe Netflix or Facebook? They just can't survive like they have.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C

- James Bond
- Jumanji

They should get around to making 23 Jump Street.

Didn't realize they had lost the rights to Bond--that sucks.
By *NormalGamer*
RichardLess wrote: June 20th, 2019, 5:13 pm
*NormalGamer* wrote: June 20th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Sony lost the rights months ago for Bond; Universal Pictures now owns international rights while MGM and Annapurna owns domestic distribution rights.

Well they also have Venom and all the offshoots from Spider-Man, Venom, crappy though it was, was a huge hit for them.
Sony's real problem is lack of original IP. They have nothing. Ghostbusters is really it for them. The problem with MiB isn't just its low gross, the problem is that they took Spielberg as producer when they made the first one. He gets first dollar gross points. Same with Will Smith. So they elimated Will Smith but Spielberg still gets his share. No matter if they break even or lose money. First dollar gross deals are dangerous. Sony needs IP and badly. They've shown they can't even properly manage their golden goose: Spider-Man. Kevin Feige had to come in and show them how it's done. Then there's Ghostbusters. Sony couldn't even greenlit a 3rd GB movie for YEARS until everyone was onboard and gave the OK. The 4 main players have(or had) Veto rights. I think Sony bought them out thought during the forming of Ghostcorp. Then after years of teasing a sequel, before Harold Ramis body is cold they annouce a reboot that no one wanted. But let's not open that wound..

Look at what other studios have:
Universal for example has the Fast Furious franchise, Jurrasic Park/World, they also have the animated Minions and that whole animation studio. They have Jaws, The Mummy/ Frankenstein all those monster movies. They have Back to the Future
Warner's has Harry Potter and all the DC stuff, plus The Matrix and waay more
Disney has...everything. Disney has everything.
Paramount has Transformers, GI:Joe, Mission Impossible, Star Trek, Tomb Raider etc..

Sony is waaay behind. It wouldn't surprise me if they are sold off in the next 5-10 years. A major conglomerate like...I don't know, maybe Disney? Maybe Netflix or Facebook? They just can't survive like they have.
@ *referring to bold*

If you ask me, Sony should've sold off their Film/TV division a long time ago if they knew it's not doing as well as it should, despite some successes with Spider-Man (thanks to their partnership with Marvel/Disney) and Venom.

And I would rather Netflix or heck maybe Apple take reins of Sony's entertainment division rather than Disney; don't wan't another monopoly on our hands.
Sav C liked this
By *NormalGamer*
deadderek wrote: June 20th, 2019, 7:43 pm Guys please stay on topic.
You should address that to Slimered since he derailed it; my apologies.
By BatDan
No i agree, Normal gamer.

Disneys the last place id like GB to find a new home.

What they did to star wars is all that needs to be said. Call me a “hipster” but..i loved star wars before it was cool, when it was still a counter culture..I kinda liked it better when “normies” didnt know the difference between SW and Trek. The movies have become soulless snooze fests in my opinion..the heart is gone.

That was actually my biggest gripe with the reboot (sorry to bring it up again) i didnt want the franchise to be milked and spread to thin, thats where it looked like it was heading.

If anything, i can see Ghost Corp breaking away from Sony and becomes its “own” studio, as long as Dan, Ivan and Jason oversee every project itll be in good hands.
By Alphagaia
BatDan wrote: June 20th, 2019, 11:42 pm That was actually my biggest gripe with the reboot (sorry to bring it up again) i didnt want the franchise to be milked and spread to thin, thats where it looked like it was heading.
While I agree with most in your post I have to ask for a little bit more clarification?

Why is ATC considered as milking and spreading the franchise to thin? The reason I don't understand this, is because it's just the third movie in a 35+ year old franchise, not the 35th.

I would understand it if you'd say because it deviates from the known storyline, especially after so long a wait, but that doesn't seem your gripe.
By BatDan
It obviously isnt the case now, since Pauls opened up a bit more about his vision.

Back when it was first announced, it just seemed like they were digging up the franchise to milk it without any notion for the source material, just slapping the no ghost logo on anything just to make a buck. ..rather than bringing it back with respect and heart towards it. Make sense?

Weve butted heads about this many times, alpha lol. I didnt mean to bring it up again like i said. I was just using it as an example
By Alphagaia
No worries, it makes sense when viewed from the void we were in during the first announcements.

That being said, I am noticing a trend that a few posters are saying a (debatable) thing about ATC, combined with a disclaimer that they don't want to start something.

Not sure if it's the intent, but it feels like wanting to take free potshots at it. ;-)

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]

Sorry, I hadn't seen any of these replies. Either […]

Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]