Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By RichardLess
RichRyan1507 wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 11:49 am We are getting ZERO news from the set since day 1 of shooting. Wow, they're keeping a tight lid on this thing, eh?
Well it's not like Calgary is a hotbed for press activity or anything. It's not New York, LA, Toronto or Vancouver.

What I'm wondering is...why Calgary? Tax incentives? That has to be it but there are other production cities with major tax incentives, Atlanta or Vancouver.

I gotta be honest. I'm kinda bummed they aren't filming at least a bit in New York. They've gotta be doing some photography there, right? The fire house? It just seems odd a GB movie not filming at least partially in New York.
deadderek liked this
By RedSpecial
Probably a mix between tax incentives and scouted filming location's relating to the script.

I'm with you on the firehouse, it wouldn't be the same without it and a little slice of Newyork scenes in there somewhere.

Last edited by RedSpecial on July 22nd, 2019, 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By RedSpecial
RichRyan1507 wrote:I'm personally ok with no fire-house. I'm looking forward to a new story in a new place.
You rinse that mouth out.
It's blasphemous [emoji23]

As long as it makes sense in the context of the story, and it's well writen and executed then yeah, that's fair.

I'm just being greedy and looking for maximum fan service, since it's been 30 years of building anticipation for a new installment.
RichRyan1507, Kingpin, RichardLess and 2 others liked this
By RichRyan1507
Meh. Fan service is all well and good. As long as we get a well-written GB story that doesn't just try to re-hash the first two , I'll be a happy camper. One of the big reasons that GBII wasn't a big success is that they tried to re-capture the magic of the original by making a copy of of the '84 film. I don't want to see that old song and dance again.
Alphagaia, lozbloke, *NormalGamer* and 2 others liked this
By Sav C
RichardLess wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 1:23 pm What I'm wondering is...why Calgary? Tax incentives? That has to be it but there are other production cities with major tax incentives, Atlanta or Vancouver.
Well, I can't speak to Atlanta, but a dollar goes a lot farther in Calgary than it does in Vancouver (to the best of my knowledge). Vancouver is seeing some blue sky prices right now.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By timeware
I just hope in regards to the fire house the mayor isn't holding it hostage as a get out of debt free card.

It would be crappy but they could still get away with using old stock footage of the fire house worse case scenario. But with atc they should be able to use the location you would think.

cant believe those d bags tried to shut it down.ugh.
By philmorgan81
Oh I am with a lot of people here. It wouldn't feel like a Ghostbusters movie without the Firehouse appearing, but the only thing that Jason really revealed is that the story will be in a new place with new characters. Now again with the Ecto 1 and some of the equipment in that barn at least one of the original GBs should be there. Weather the other remaining OG busters will follow suit is questionable, but I'd say the odds of a reunion are very good. Especially with Bill Murray speaking high at the prospect of returning IF ASKED. Not to mention the comments from people outside the franchise Like Kevin Smith hearing just the concept and being very excited about it. It has got to be one hell of a script. The story could be in a completely different place, but we could see the Firehouse at the end. Again we are not 100% sure of anything.

Like others have said I think we could tell a good Ghostbusters story without having to see the firehouse. I mean just having the story set in a different location has already set this film apart from Ghostbusters 1, 2 and ATC. I am already excited that filming has begun and already stuff is getting blow up. ;)

I am hearing some great theories since the first picture was posted. I don't want to jump to conclusions, but I will be very suprised if this family's unknown connection to the Original Ghostbusters HAS NOTHING to do with Egon. One theory I keep hearing and I think it could make a lot of sense without feeling contrived or too forced. Is that the kids find out that they are related to someone who was a Ghostbuster (Egon). Depending on how this world views the Ghostbusters in the present day it could go a couple of different ways as they find out their connection. They somehow get some kind of warning about an empending supernatural event (Finding some old notes or research that belonged to Egon or somehow a direct warning from Egon himself from the other side). They find out that a former Ghostbuster lives close by (I'd say Ray simply because I don't think he'd be too far from the Ecto 1 or Ghost busting equipment). They inform him of the potential threat. He calls in as much help as he can while working with this new crew and the movie continues from there.

There is Absolutly no weight to the above theory at all and I am sure that whatever Jason's idea is it is miles better. I am just saying that is one of a million ways it could go.

I am digging the secrecy and I am getting the feeling that when this movie actually comes out, we will wonder why we were even worried. :):):)
*NormalGamer*, Sav C liked this
By timeware
I think it would be great if Kevin Smith pulls a scream scene in the new reboot and is standing in front of the fire house and Rudd is waiting for the kids to come out of quick stop. Complete with the I assure you were open sign.
Alphagaia liked this
By RichardLess
RichRyan1507 wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 2:52 pm Meh. Fan service is all well and good. As long as we get a well-written GB story that doesn't just try to re-hash the first two , I'll be a happy camper. One of the big reasons that GBII wasn't a big success is that they tried to re-capture the magic of the original by making a copy of of the '84 film. I don't want to see that old song and dance again.
It's an interesting line they will have to play with.
I think GB2 wasn't a big success because of Batman. If memory serves it had an "A" cinema score. And there's a big difference between being a copy, which we KNOW this film is not going to be, and including fan service-- which shouldn't be as dirty a word as it is. There's nothing wrong with fan service if it's done right. It's a hard line to dance around and getting it right is harder still. Plus if it makes sense on a story level? Even More reason.
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 6:17 pm I think it would be great if Kevin Smith pulls a scream scene in the new reboot and is standing in front of the fire house and Rudd is waiting for the kids to come out of quick stop. Complete with the I assure you were open sign.
Please god no.

I mean... please god I beg you do not let that happen lol.
RichRyan1507, deadderek liked this
By philmorgan81
RichardLess wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 6:28 pm
RichRyan1507 wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 2:52 pm Meh. Fan service is all well and good. As long as we get a well-written GB story that doesn't just try to re-hash the first two , I'll be a happy camper. One of the big reasons that GBII wasn't a big success is that they tried to re-capture the magic of the original by making a copy of of the '84 film. I don't want to see that old song and dance again.
It's an interesting line they will have to play with.
I think GB2 wasn't a big success because of Batman. If memory serves it had an "A" cinema score. And there's a big difference between being a copy, which we KNOW this film is not going to be, and including fan service-- which shouldn't be as dirty a word as it is. There's nothing wrong with fan service if it's done right. It's a hard line to dance around and getting it right is harder still. Plus if it makes sense on a story level? Even More reason.
Oh yeah exactly! There is a right and wrong way to use fan service. Forgive me if this is taking a pot shot at ATC this is just MY opinion. I believe there were some things ATC got right, but for me ATC hit a lot of the Fan Service elements the wrong way. When ATC showed the cameos from the original actors, Slimer Appearing, Stay Puft Appearing and even showing the Firehouse. Rather than making me go " WOW what a neat callback." It all just reminded me that I'd rather be watching the original. :):):)
RichRyan1507, deadderek liked this
By timeware
Oh come on richardless, don't you want to see the kids walk out with giant ecto cooler slurpees hearing Dante in the background screaming I'm not supposed to be here today?lol, it won't happen but it would be a quick merchandising scene with just the kids and Rudd.
By deadderek
People need to calm down. Damn they're not even a full 2 weeks in to shooting and it's not like we should expect DAILY news and updates. Calm down y'all.

As far as Kevin Smith goes....keep him as far away as possible from the movie. Just...faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away.

I just can't believe it...the cameras are actually rolling on this thing. Not an announcement...a teaser trailer....it's finally going down.
By timeware
I'm a huge Jay and silent Bob fan so I take the dislikes as a badge of honor. There will be no cameo's I'm sure but that didn't stop Paul from donating his wardrobe to Hemsworth for atc. Might be a minor Easter egg of Jason and smith's friendship or none at all but the scenario is still open. Were all still speculating about the possibilities of what's ahead. I will admit I'm getting a tad antsy without any new info.
2GunsRacing, BatDan liked this
By BatDan
On the note of Kevin Smith apparently him and Jason are friends...

Theres a Fatman on batman episode where Kevin talks about a conversation he had with Jason and Gb20 and how “this film is going to make alot of people happy”

I love kevin, but i take his hype for other peoples movies with a grain of salt. Lol

But i do have faith this movie is going to be prettayy prettayy good.
timeware liked this
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 7:05 pm Oh come on richardless, don't you want to see the kids walk out with giant ecto cooler slurpees hearing Dante in the background screaming I'm not supposed to be here today?lol, it won't happen but it would be a quick merchandising scene with just the kids and Rudd.
No. No I don't.

Kevin Smith is good at telling stories in auditoriums and podcasts and..that's about it. I mean...did you see that trailer for Jay & Silent Bob Sequel? ...yikes.
By deadderek
Anyone wanna guess when we'll see some kind of footage? I'm guessing October with the theatrical re-release of Ghostbusters 1.
By Alphagaia
RichardLess wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 2:26 am
timeware wrote: July 22nd, 2019, 7:05 pm Oh come on richardless, don't you want to see the kids walk out with giant ecto cooler slurpees hearing Dante in the background screaming I'm not supposed to be here today?lol, it won't happen but it would be a quick merchandising scene with just the kids and Rudd.
No. No I don't.

Kevin Smith is good at telling stories in auditoriums and podcasts and..that's about it. I mean...did you see that trailer for Jay & Silent Bob Sequel? ...yikes.

I agree Smiths works is very hit and miss.

BUT Dogma, Clerks and Chasing Amy are absolutely great.

So saying he only is good at telling stories at additoriums (and surviving major heartattacks) is absolutely wrong.

Wrong, I tell you!!!
deadderek, BatDan liked this
By Alphagaia
deadderek wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 5:01 am Does anyone think advertisers might be hesitant after ATC bombing and all the backlash over it?
Toys aside, which were made for the cheap because Mattel knows female action heroes don't sell, the merchandise / royalties is what actually saved Sony from taking a loss from ATC, so I think we are good. They know stuff sells and that will attract advertisers.

I hope we get more themepark rides and stuff like that VR stuff at Madamme Tussauds which was so succesfull 3 more stations popped up with it.
By RichardLess
Alphagaia wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 4:33 am
RichardLess wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 2:26 am

No. No I don't.

I agree Smiths works is very hit and miss.

BUT Dogma, Clerks and Chasing Amy are absolutely great.

So saying he only is good at telling stories at additoriums (and surviving major heartattacks) is absolutely wrong.

Wrong, I tell you!!!
Oddly enough those are the only 3 movies I find tolerable from him. But...

Great? They are okish-good.

Chasing Amy is almost great. But then the ending happens and oh my do I not enjoy it. I also find it problematic that a woman who identifies as lesbian switches sides for Ben Affleck(it's been awhile since I've seen it but she does identify as lesbian at first, right?). It's probably the best written movie of Smith's career.

I do like Dogma. I really like the premise. The "God bless you" board room scene is easily the greatest thing he's ever done. It's his best movie overall, from the acting, directing, writing. Plus Howard Shore doing the music? It's good. Not great. But good.

Clerks is ok. Clerks had been built up for me as this insanely great hilarious movie and when I watched it...it was ok? I certainly respect the effort. But I just can't get past the lousy acting of the guy who plays Dante. I just find him annoying,.

What's weird is one of the funniest things in each of those movies is Jason Mewes. So when the "Jay and Silent Bob Movie" came out I thought "ok this will be hilarious". Turns out a little Jason Mewes goes a long way. He works in small doses. Not as a lead character.

So, you are correct, I should remedy my statement: For the last 20 years the only thing Smith has been good at is telling stories.
RichRyan1507 liked this
By RichardLess
BatDan wrote: July 23rd, 2019, 6:10 am Rich, what about Red State or Tusk?

We can all universally agree Yoga Hosers was awful
Red State could've been good. Again, if he could've stuck that landing. Michael Parks is amazing in Red State. Thank God Tarantino brought him out of obscurity with Kill Bill. Too bad he passed away. He never really got his due as the amazing actor he is. I still marvel at his performance as Esteban in Kill Bill Volume 2. It's AMAZING. But, again, problematic in today's world. It's borderline minstrel show. It's brown face. But holy crap it's truly the best performance in the film.

I have not seen Tusk or Yoga Hosers.
By deadderek
Here's an idea? You guys take your Kevin Smith talk to private messages while we all stay on topic in this thread.

RichRyan1507, Alphagaia, BatDan and 1 others liked this
Uniform Tips

Sorry for the triple post (you guys have gotten […]

Proton Props???

Ugly Little Spud, Did you actually get the pack?[…]

Just seen this thread add me JudgeGerry to London

Proton Props UK

I would like to apologise to everyone for the dela[…]