Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By Coover5
It's fair to knock people complaining but it's also okay for us to share our worries. Perhaps they will see "We're not enthusiastic about the kids" and make an effort to cut the film so the adult characters feature more. Movies almost always test this sort of stuff. They show film descriptions to a group and ask what they think. They show trailers and ask. They show the movies and ask. And they all impact the film.

Yes, what if we saw the Fort scene first? What if we saw Aykroyd and Murray dressed as bums? What if we saw unfinished effects? What if we saw that and said nothing? What if we said nothing about Aykroyd and Murray's weird double parts that take you out of the film? The movie studios would leave it in. It's because people spoke up that Ghostbusters works so well. If we want Ghostbusters 3 to work just as well we have to be honest.
By groschopf
What if complaining about how much a movie will suck affects the final product because the people creating and acting in it see that kind of commentary and internalize it in their work?

What if creators second guess themselves more than they should because the internet permits those with obnoxious views to amplify their message out of proportion to how the rest of people feel about any particular subject?

Going on about how much a movie will suck is as helpful as as telling a barista how bad they are at their job and then being surprised when they hand you a steaming cup of crap.
Sav C, robbritton, Kingpin and 1 others liked this
By Coover5
groschopf wrote: September 20th, 2019, 1:11 pm What if complaining ...
As per my previous statement
Coover5 wrote:It's fair to knock people complaining...
Yes, complaining is troublesome. But saying "I see most of the set photos are of the children. I hope we will get a good numbers of scenes with Carrie Coons and Paul Rudd" is a fair statement to make. It's not whining. It's an assessment of what we the audience have seen so far.
By groschopf
As if fan commentary is as civil as the example cited.

We've seen what kind of indignation fans have when they think something isn't being tailored to what they believe a new film should be. We know how acrid the feedback can become an how unhelpful it is at this stage. It can and will affect the final product.

Distinguishing between complaining and critiquing is a distinction without a difference when the outcome is the same. Frankly, I have neither the patience nor the inclination for it. Let these people work.

We aren't the audience. We're not screening film. We're a bunch of obsessive types trying to imagine what this film is going to be with very few glimpses of it in progress, let alone the final product. We don't have all the facts, let alone a majority of them.
By robbritton
groschopf wrote: September 20th, 2019, 1:11 pm What if complaining about how much a movie will suck affects the final product because the people creating and acting in it see that kind of commentary and internalize it in their work?

What if creators second guess themselves more than they should because the internet permits those with obnoxious views to amplify their message out of proportion to how the rest of people feel about any particular subject?

Going on about how much a movie will suck is as helpful as as telling a barista how bad they are at their job and then being surprised when they hand you a steaming cup of crap.
This. You only have to look at how much of a mess The Predator turned out to be if you want an object lesson in why studios shouldn’t listen to fan complaints leading up to release. Fans are not actually always that brilliant at knowing what they would actually enjoy to see. Using anyone’s criticism of any film (or book, or play, or painting, or etc, etc), sight unseen, flattens creativity and, to not be too pretentious about it, is harmful to art as a concept.
By timeware
In the case of Sonic the hedgehog I thank all that's holy they listened to the fans and redesigned him. He looked like they dumped blue paint on Alvin the chipmunk and forced him into electric shock therapy.
By moviemaker29
Bill Murray made a surprise appearance at the Crossroads Guitar Festival in Dallas last night so he probably isn't filming anything right now.

The "Z" logo seems like it's likely for Winston's company... which is awesome to see him getting some more character development.

With more and more little details coming out and the obvious ties to the original film, I am getting the feeling that the original team's involvement is going to be a sort of "getting the band back together" plot where they have all gone their separate ways but are forced to team up again, through the urging of the kids, because they were the ones to close the original portal in NY and are the only ones who can finish off Gozer once and for all. It makes the most sense in terms of finding a reason to involve Sigourney, Annie, and "hopefully" Rick again. I really don't think they would sign up for glorified cameos.

Even if it all leads to the team being in the last act of the film, I think it'll be a great climax and a good payoff of waiting 30 years.
By Muwarrior21
Its looking more and more like murray will not in it due to the logistics of filming in october. A guy that is slated to be in italy mid october is not good prognosis for him showing up on set?!?
By SpaceBallz
They dropped the announcement and teaser on us unexpectedly and kept everything a secret, I actually wouldn't be surprised if they filmed their scenes already.
Davideverona, Alphagaia, groschopf and 1 others liked this
By gboy6
moviemaker29 wrote: they have all gone their separate ways.
It seems like this is a recurring thing in Ghostbusters.
In Ghostbusters II they were forced to shut down from the lawsuits by the city, county, and the state of New York. Ray and Winston did party’s. Ray also had his bookstore. Peter did a talk show. Egon went in to research.
In Extreme Ghostbusters they went out of business because there were no more ghosts. Egon started teaching at a university, Ray did research then sold cars, Winston became a pilot, and Peter tried to make another Ghostbusters movie.
You could even say that the Ghostbusters reboot movie did the same thing. They disbanded for reasons unknown. I like the coverup theory. Peter became a famed paranormal debunker, Ray was a cabby who had knowledge about the paranormal, Winston had his funeral home, and Egon passed away [emoji26].
And this movie, seems like, is going that same route of them disbanding. I hope that this trend isn’t how Ghostbusters will continue on with.
By DocLathropBrown
Now THAT is very convincing, haha. I mean, right in the middle of filming for GB3 and all three are having dinner together near the place where shooting of said film is happening??

There are coincidences, and then there are miracles. It may just be dinner for Murray's birthday, but for him to drop by Calgary to see friends for a birthday dinner and still refuse to be in the movie? Seems unlikely.
SpaceBallz, Corey91 liked this
By SpaceBallz
Alphagaia wrote: September 21st, 2019, 12:30 pm Guys. Bill Murray confirmed.
This can finally be said in confidence :)
Corey91, Sav C liked this
By Ectojeff88
Makes more sense that the group disbanded in the last 25-30 years as opposed to within 5 years after the Gozer event. It may be an accidental pattern with the original crew but not likely in future if more films or shows follow this narrative line.

Also wouldn’t surprise me if they all separated around Egon’s disappearance.
Kingpin liked this

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]