By JediChris1138
Supporting Member
Hello everyone!
So, I ordered an Anovos pack during the Memorial Day Sale (note: Currently they have 35% off) but - be mindful! I haven't gotten any shipping information in over a week!

SO - now I suddenly have time to pick up any and all parts I may need for upgrades and improvements.

Anyway, for once, I have plenty of money, and I wanted to see what I can and need to do to upgrade the thing to awesome level! I figure I'll put a few of the video game lights in, but I wanted to know what I should get to really make the thing stand out! Specifically:
  • Ribbon Cable
    Paint types (seen a few good ones!)
    Upgrades to aluminum parts
    What electronics to buy, and how to get those damn things in!
    What labels/legit parts
    Aluminium thrower?
I really want to make the thing shine! I'm willing to do whatever it takes. I'll swap out the damn motherboard if I have to.

I *Do* have a Matty Collector wand (actually a couple of em') and I thought maybe that could help!

What's the scoop? You list it, I'll do my best to create a tutorial on how to do it from any instructions and help I get! Will do the same if someone could just point me to a damn 59 Miller Meteor Futura!
By Mad Muppet
Is... is this a troll thread?

Memorial Day weekend? Try like another year and a half.

You know there's a class action suit because they haven't shipped the vast majority of their pre-orders pretty much since they were founded, right?
By JediChris1138
Supporting Member
Well... damnit.

I may have made a mistake. I just thought it would be easy enough for me to actually handle on my own without a ton of tools.
By Glenn Frederick
Supporting Member
It's a in stock item so they say a couple of weeks when in reality it will probably be a month!

That's how long it took them to send me mine that was a "In stock item", thankfully nothing was broken but I was missing the aluminum block for the ion arm.
By JediChris1138
Supporting Member
Well, that's good. Let's hope it comes soon then. I ordered about 20 days ago, so far. I'd be stoked to get it.

Anyway, once (if?) I have it, I would LOVE to know what upgrades I can make to really make this thing sing. I want to display it somewhere.
By twmedford23
I upgraded most of the parts on mine. Ribbon cable clamps, resistors, ion arm end cap, elbows, shock mount, clippard valve, tubing, labels, crank knob. I just received replacement parts(took a year) for the thrower so I can get finally get started on it. All in all, not bad given the price. Shame about the company's practices, though - probably will not buy anything Anovos again.

JediChris1138 liked this
By JediChris1138
Supporting Member
That looks GREAT! Did you get parts from GB Fans? I'm also trying to figure out how to do age it a bit - I figure a few aluminum pieces might help. Are the n-filter, resistor arm etc. already mounted, or will I be able to add those in? I'd love to do GBFans aluminum!
By JediChris1138
Supporting Member
SO! The kit is SHIPPING and should arrive Friday.

Here's what I've heard I need to change. I'll look at home and see what parts I've collected over the years:

Ribbon cable clamps
Resistors
Ion Arm
End Cap
Elbows
Shock Mount
Clippard Valve
Tubing
Labels
Crank knob

Next question - how in the world do I paint this thing? You have some nice weathering.

ALSO: Since I'm building one, would it be worth picking up a shell from the GBFans store? I feel like once I've knocked out one, the second should be much easier to do, and more accurate.

I also have one of the Spirit packs I've been working on for a spell.
twmedford23 liked this
By JediChris1138
Supporting Member
You may have been right about this - I got my a-frame, but have not received the pack I ordered in MAY. I'm really, really hoping that it gets out before too long! It seems like it's been forever!
By JediChris1138
Supporting Member
Well, I emailed Anovos on 7/18 and 8/5 and again today, 8/27. I haven't even gotten a reply!

I'm tempted to just start ordering GBFans parts and... figure it out. I don't know that I have all the skills to do a great job, but maybe it's worth trying.
By deadderek
You'll likely find faster help joining some of the GB groups on Facebook.
By JediChris1138
Supporting Member
Good News - Pack Shipping as of today, 9/16 - with an arrival Friday.

Hopefully we can start making plans on how best to modify the thing to make it top notch soon!
deadderek liked this
By JediChris1138
Supporting Member
I upgraded most of the parts on mine. Ribbon cable clamps, resistors, ion arm end cap, elbows, shock mount, clippard valve, tubing, labels, crank knob. I just received replacement parts(took a year) for the thrower so I can get finally get started on it. All in all, not bad given the price. Shame about the company's practices, though - probably will not buy anything Anovos again.

Quick question - how did you mount the new clippards? Did you drill off the bottom?

Also, did you replace any of the parts with aluminum? I'm considering bouncing a few parts to aluminum, but I wasn't sure if they could be mounted, and also I was a bit worried about what might happen structurally if I did so!

By JediChris1138
Supporting Member

Quick question - how did you mount the new clippards? Did you drill off the bottom?

Also, did you replace any of the parts with aluminum? I'm considering bouncing a few parts to aluminum, but I wasn't sure if they could be mounted, and also I was a bit worried about what might happen structurally if I did so!
By mike_waclo
Supporting Member
I used a Dremel to cut the bottom off of the Clippard stem on the pack valve. I believe the thrower body already had an indentation in it that allowed the Clippard to sit unmodified. That could be the other way around; it's been a while since my build.
By JediChris1138
Supporting Member
Notes and photos in my build thread:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=45382
I noticed your build thread mentioned you used multiple paints - where did you apply each paint, which paints did you use, and how are they running? I'm guessing painting probably needs to come first!
By greg883
I was trying different brands of semi-gloss/satin paint. Some were almost the same a "full" gloss, some were bordering on flat. One brand comes with a "trigger" type can, but always dribbled down my hand.. I was testing each brand on different parts, and in the end any part that had a decent finish - no "orange peeling" or drips/runs - I used. Overall, I gave it a light coat of a satin clear acrylic. I'll round up what I can find and post a picture in my thread.
By greg883
Tried everything from full gloss to flat. I think flat black with the satin acrylic was the final choice for the majority of the pack.

The Rust-Oleum with the "trigger" consistently drips down on your hand and fingers.
Glenn Frederick liked this

Now I have to watch them all again. I'm surprised […]

Great! Thank you.

Ever notice?

It is kinda funny yes! I have seen a few people pu[…]

Sorry for this naysayer bit, but I REALLY hope E[…]