Interesting about Fuller auditioning for the Petrosius role.

I was recently reading that scene in the novelization and the original script (actually as part of a refresher on the scenes where Peter is talking up his Ghostbusters Boutique plans).

Personally, I think it would have been a great scene. The four busters on a case together, a unique situation that isn't exactly a ghost and therefore doesn't require their equipment, just them improvising a solution (and bringing down the rich and powerful a notch, to boot) and some wonderful character writing.

But, some of the nuggets of details in the scene seem to have gone into other scenes. Solving a problem by cold-cocking someone is also employed in the possessed Ray driving scene, which ironically also got deleted. And spontaneous fires became an element in the reshoot scene of the photo lab where Winston has to save Ray and Egon.

Alex
Peter Venkman Jr. liked this
As for Aykroyd's voice in the 'mood slime' scene, to me this is clearly a rehearsal and they're all workshopping it together. This is another rare glimpse into that improvisational approach they speak of. Notice Harold give a soft-voiced note to Dan in between lines, and Reitman throwing in suggestions.

And Harold's lines to the slime are almost inaudible here. My gut feeling is that both Dan and Harold are 'saving their voices' for the multiple takes they are about to do of them shouting at the slime at full volume.

I was in a play in college with a guy who actually blew his voice out in a tech rehearsal that no one saw, and could barely croak on opening night. We needled him about this because when the director was giving the sound guy a note about volume on a prerecorded cue, the sound guy said he was keeping it low so the actor's line wouldn't be lost, and the extremely arrogant actor had shouted up to the booth, "Go as loud as you can. I can top you." (Our professors wanted us to learn how to project, they never miked us.) So they ran the scene several more times with the guy screaming over the sound system. He had to go get a cortisone shot the next day, and walked around campus all morning with a scarf on, barely speaking above a whisper, drinking hot tea with honey.

It taught the rest of us a valuable lesson about a) humility and b) not giving it our all until 'on the night'.

Or in this case, until the cameras are rolling.

Alex
Kingpin, Wafflerobot liked this
Alex Newborn wrote: July 17th, 2019, 7:26 am Interesting about Fuller auditioning for the Petrosius role.

I was recently reading that scene in the novelization and the original script (actually as part of a refresher on the scenes where Peter is talking up his Ghostbusters Boutique plans).

Personally, I think it would have been a great scene. The four busters on a case together, a unique situation that isn't exactly a ghost and therefore doesn't require their equipment, just them improvising a solution (and bringing down the rich and powerful a notch, to boot) and some wonderful character writing.
Agreed on the Petrosius scene. Personally, I think it would have been cool to have it be slime instead of fire. Wall Street type gets pissed--slime starts leaking from the walls, desk, etc. It would have tied in with the plot a bit better. There's a lot of potential humor there, plus it wouldn't have been as budget-draining as a huge pyro/FX shoot. I'm guessing that's why the scene was eventually cut.
d_osborn wrote: July 17th, 2019, 1:48 pm
Alex Newborn wrote: July 17th, 2019, 7:26 am Interesting about Fuller auditioning for the Petrosius role.

Agreed on the Petrosius scene. Personally, I think it would have been cool to have it be slime instead of fire. Wall Street type gets pissed--slime starts leaking from the walls, desk, etc. It would have tied in with the plot a bit better. There's a lot of potential humor there, plus it wouldn't have been as budget-draining as a huge pyro/FX shoot. I'm guessing that's why the scene was eventually cut.
I imagine if it would've been included, it would've been used during the montage. The cost all depends on how they were going to do it. If they avoided optical work? It could be done fairly cheap. Personally I think the scene might've confused audiences(for how it relates to the main plot. And now what do they do? Just leave the guy alone?) but I imagine it in my head and I'd just love to see it.

I think whoever suggested the idea getting scraped in favour of the fire in the photolab is correct.

I love that every sequence Ivan added was a winner. Everyone of them is a great moment. And they aren't little either. Imagine if the movie had been made today? Press would be all over it. "Ghostbusters 2 doomed from expensive reshoots 2 months before release".

Frankly Ghostbusters 2, as it exists in the shooting script, would be a major let down. The tunnel sequence, the extended face off with Vigo, the photo lab fire, the Mayors office and the slime eclipse all add MAJOR moments to the movie. Imagine if the movie had the face off with Vigo as it is in the script? It's still over too fast in the finished film, but in the shooting script? They come in and save the day almost immeadiatley. There's no Vigo breath, or Venkman insults, or Vigo torturing the GBs.

I remember reading that Ivan had a last minute idea of Vigo casting a spell that causes other paintings to come alive and the GBs have to fight them off with the proton packs. But there was just no time. Ivan wanted additional scenes but they just ran out of time.
The "certified check, cash, or money order" shot of the Ectomobile was intended for the boys going to the Petrosius call at the World Trade Center. If I'm remembering correctly, the GBs take him in for monitoring (continuing Egon's research from the beginning of the movie) and he pops up in a few firehouse scenes throughout.
d_osborn wrote: Both scenes were in the script for a while. Even in the draft they began filming with. :love:
No, I mean, like they picked to do just the jewelry store over the pyro one closer to production for some reason, like to cut costs, not enough time, etc.
mrmichaelt wrote: July 17th, 2019, 10:52 pm
d_osborn wrote: Both scenes were in the script for a while. Even in the draft they began filming with. :love:
No, I mean, like they picked to do just the jewelry store over the pyro one closer to production for some reason, like to cut costs, not enough time, etc.
Gotcha! Ivan made the right move, for sure. The jewelry store was more of a visual gag, anyway. Not much of any dialogue, very little setup. Way easier to slide into a montage.

The Petrosius scene didn't fit as well when the slime started to play a bigger roll in the story. It made way more sense in more with the "emotions effecting the physical environment" thing that was hit on harder in the early drafts.

It's great that Fuller was brought back as Hardemeyer, though. It's hard to imagine the movie without him.
d_osborn wrote: July 17th, 2019, 11:27 pm Gotcha! Ivan made the right move, for sure. The jewelry store was more of a visual gag, anyway. Not much of any dialogue, very little setup. Way easier to slide into a montage.

The Petrosius scene didn't fit as well when the slime started to play a bigger roll in the story. It made way more sense in more with the "emotions effecting the physical environment" thing that was hit on harder in the early drafts.

It's great that Fuller was brought back as Hardemeyer, though. It's hard to imagine the movie without him.
Agreed. Sorry, I tend to be a scatter brain during Comic Con week and I flubbed that first reply, lol. If I remember right, you can even assume Ivan's hand in the jewelry scene -- making it slide even more into the montage by having no dialogue like excising Ray's question at the end that was in the script(s) asking how they want to pay. Hilarious but he probably wanted it to flow right into the next instead of pausing the pacing for that comedic beat.

Yeah, definitely, at one point in the drafts, you can see the transition from "elemental" things like Petrosius, a swarm of locusts, etc. to ghosts come out the slime and the river of negatively charged psychomagnotheric slime in turn with the threat of Jason Locke, was it?, to Vigo.

Agreed, another smart move on Ivan's part to bring back Fuller.
d_osborn wrote: July 17th, 2019, 11:27 pm
mrmichaelt wrote: July 17th, 2019, 10:52 pm No, I mean, like they picked to do just the jewelry store over the pyro one closer to production for some reason, like to cut costs, not enough time, etc.
Gotcha! Ivan made the right move, for sure. The jewelry store was more of a visual gag, anyway. Not much of any dialogue, very little setup. Way easier to slide into a montage.

I was so excited to see the scene of Hardmeyer getting sucked into the slime mold. But wow. Thank god they cut that. Fuller just overplays it. Maybe it's the unfinished effects or just the odd pacing. But that scene was just a let down when we finally got to see it. I did like the shoes dropping and the cut to the GBs and the mayor not even reacting to what happened.
I am really glad that this deleted scene surfaced at last. I never owned the Ed Naha novelization of the film*, so I will defiantly be seeking it out for my collection. It is amazing the different ideas that Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis had for the screenplay early on. The Checker cab Areobus being the new Ectomobile is interesting find as well. Being the car buff that I am, I can only imagine how it would have looked on film had Colombia Pictures not gotten another Cadillac Ambulance.

*I only had the junior novelization by B.B. Hiller and the storybook by Bob Stein.

@RichardLess, I agree Ivan Reitman made the right decision in cutting Hardemeyer being sucked into the slime mold around the museum. In fact, on the Ghostbusters II Blu Ray audio commentary both he and Dan Aykroyd point out how the slime mold around the museum looks rough and unfinished. As others have mentioned before, ILM was really working down to the last minute to complete the visual effects before the movie opened. I am not all that surprised that given the schedule Colombia allotted them, the slime mold looks far from finished.
Wow, there were some good pieces of visual stimuli in there! We nerd-gods know most 'factiods' but the references in there were great! Except for how Dan & Al made (im assuming most of us) me feel personally.
You dont insult your fansbase, Dan. :sigh: Very Un-cool.
Last edited by back on October 7th, 2019, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks tra[…]