Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I think the bigger surprise the film might have to offer will not be Bill Murray appearing, but rather Rick Moranis. I agree that there is no way Bill did this intro (and appeared to be having fun being there) and had his hair dyed without the timing having something to do with GB20 filming. He's gonna be in the film in some capacity.

In Rick's case, I could see them legitimately keeping an appearance from him a secret and making it a great surprise for audiences. They're well aware people want to see him onscreen again after so long and given all of the other major characters' involvement, I find it hard to believe they didn't try including him in the story.

It's just a matter of whether he would want to appear or not and I think this is the one film that he would return for. My gut tells me it'll be one of many great surprises the film will have!
deadderek, Corey91, back liked this
Rick won't be in this thing guys come on!!!!!!!!!

You know movies anymore dont keep anything secret, shoot the first full trailer we see will probably give us the entire plot and climax.

Rick is so far gone from hollywood id say theres zero chance but man would it be awesome.

Him and Janine got hitched and lived happily ever after, they needed one more guy with proton pack wielding experience and louis was the man for the job!
deadderek wrote: October 8th, 2019, 1:12 am
Davideverona wrote: October 7th, 2019, 11:47 pm Also, Bill was spotted on set with Rudd.
Outside of 1 comment on social media I have yet to see this confirmed at all.
Furthermore, the context of the comment only implied that he was present as a broad assumption. The comment didn't actually say he was there. Around the same time, there was an actual sighting of him with Warren Buffett in America, so there's a bunch of evidence that even if he is in the movie, he wasn't up there.
groschopf liked this
As for Rick, I don't think he's coming back for this.

The lengthy Hollywood Reporter interview said he turned down Ghostbusters 2016 because he didn't one to do one day on something he was involved with 30 years ago, but that he was not retired and willing to work. However, I don't get th impression that this film, focused as it seems to be on the new characters, would provide enough of an additional justification to lure him back for this either.
By BatDan
well to be fair, in ATC; Rick wouldn't be returning as Louis, so i think that's what also steered his decision as well.

If he was open enough to return to SCTV reunions and voice Dark Helmet for the Goldberg's cameo..i'm confident he be open to being in this..whether the script asks for his character to return or not remains to be seen.
moviemaker29, Doctor Venkman, back and 1 others liked this
Fun little blurb from a recent NY Times interview with Paul Rudd about GB20:

In related news, Rudd was also asked about his role in the upcoming Ghostbusters reboot/sequel. "I grew up watching that movie," he said of the original, "and this happened to be one where it completely works on its own. You don’t want to do it just because it’s part of a larger thing, but there is the added bonus of being part of something that has a real place in culture."

Asked whether he'll be strapping on one of those iconic proton packs, Rudd responded: "It remains to be seen what I strap on. I’m not giving you anything."

Source: ComicBookMovie.com
RichRyan1507, Corey91, Sav C and 2 others liked this
BatDan wrote: October 8th, 2019, 12:50 pm well to be fair, in ATC; Rick wouldn't be returning as Louis, so i think that's what also steered his decision as well.

If he was open enough to return to SCTV reunions and voice Dark Helmet for the Goldberg's cameo..i'm confident he be open to being in this..whether the script asks for his character to return or not remains to be seen.
He also talked a lot about how he'd love to do Spaceballs 2, last year when he did a con in San Antonio...I didn't ask about GB3 because it seemed dead. But I wouldn't be shocked at all to see him in this.
moviemaker29 liked this
By Kingpin
timeware wrote: October 8th, 2019, 8:02 am I'm still waiting for the official announcement. I was hoping costumes would be revealed by the anniversary showings. With ATC we got them right off the bat.
Indeed, but 2020 is taking such a significantly different approach to the marketing. With 2016, excluding the stuff that was leaked that wasn't supposed to be, they really fell over themselves in showing off what the film would feature... And while that did help us prop makers and documentors, and helped to reveal the process in making a film, it ultimately ended up leaving little to actually be surprised by when the film came out.

Jason's described this film as a "gift", and is playing it very close to his chest, I suspect he is more concious about doing it right, and keeping the surprises for when people sit down in the theatre.

So I wouldn't expect any sort of official costume or prop reveal before the first full trailer, I don't think showing that stuff off on Twitter is his style, little glipses of some things? Yes, but full reveals? Nope.
Muwarrior21 wrote: October 8th, 2019, 12:11 pmRick is so far gone from hollywood id say theres zero chance but man would it be awesome.
It would be unnecessary. I've always been in the "Rick wasn't really needed in Ghostbusters II" camp, and I'll reaffirm that he's even less integral to the new movie. If it doesn't serve the plot to feature him, then the film shouldn't, and I respect his reasons for retiring from Hollywood. The man's earned his rest.
groschopf, lozbloke, mrmichaelt and 1 others liked this
By timeware
Hell they could throw in Louis Jr as an after credits scene standing next to his father in full gear saying "we were born for this." Well only know for sure depending on if Janine hasnt changed her maiden name. If they start referring to her as Spengler or Tully well find out who won her over.
I can't stand cameos. They take you right out of the movie. With GB16 it was a huge issue. They shore horned in all these cast members from the original with roles that made no sense. Bill Murray's cameo is embarrassing. It just made no sense, why use those actors? They could've been anyone and all it did was take you out of the movie and realize "I'd rather be watching the original film".

So GB2020 needs to avoid cameo's for cameo sake. I don't want any shoe horned characters that don't belong. if that means no Rick Moranis? I can live with that. Beyond the original core Ghostbusters crew, and even then I don't want mere cameos, unless the character belongs and has a purpose...don't feature them. I love Annie Potts...but does she really need to have a cameo?

When we see Cameos of Peter Venkman & Ray and Winston, guess what? It'll just make most people want to spend time with those characters we know and love.
Coover5, RichRyan1507, back and 1 others liked this
By Coover5
I understand the feeling. Not sure if it counts as a cameo but Brian Doyle-Murray always took me out of GB2. If you asked me today if Doyle-Murray and Bill Murray look alike I'd say no but as a kid I could see the resemblance and was confused by these two guys looking so much alike. And because it was an issue for so long it always comes to mind when I watch the movie. I doubt that has been an issue for anyone else but it's been one for me.
By SpaceBallz
I didn't even recognize Brian Doyle Murray in GB2. Maybe because I was so young. I did recognize him after they aired the golf comedy show with the murrays on comedy central lol. Loved him in the video game.
I did some research today finding out the approximate amount of time that each character was in the first two movies. I’ll explain why below, but here are the stats, give or take a minute.

GB 105 minutes
Peter 74 minutes
Ray 57
Egon 56
Winston 33
Dana 24 (not counting terror dog form)
Louis 17 (ditto)
Walter 9
Janine 8
Gozer/Stay Puft 8
Slimer 3
Lenny 3

GB2 108 minutes
Peter 59 minutes
Ray 58
Egon 57
Dana 39
Winston 36
Oscar 24
Louis 14
Janosz 13
Janine 7
Vigo 7 (not counting static painting time)
Jack H 5
Lenny 3

So what’s the point of this exercise? Some of us have been expressing our wishes for how long certain characters will be on screen, and debating major roles vs minor parts vs cameos.

Let’s say Venkman is only in this movie as long as Janine was in each movie for example, 7-8 minutes. Would that feel like a significant role even though he’s not carrying the film (which we know he won’t be)? Would you be bummed if it wasn’t at least 14-16 minutes like Louis had? What if it’s only a scene or two equivalent to the Mayor scenes, about 3-4 minutes?

I’m expecting the new family and Paul Rudd to take the roles that eat up an hour of screen time each, but that leaves plenty on the table for Ray, Winston, and Peter to have significant screen time.

I guess my goal is to set expectations that 10-20 minutes in the new movie for an original character isn’t as insignificant as it might sound at first when we compare that to the supporting characters of the first two films.
twmedford23, robbritton, mrmichaelt and 2 others liked this
SpaceBallz wrote: October 8th, 2019, 10:20 pm I didn't even recognize Brian Doyle Murray in GB2. Maybe because I was so young. I did recognize him after they aired the golf comedy show with the murrays on comedy central lol. Loved him in the video game.
The golf comedy show? Are you talking about the Golf Comedy Movie? Aka Caddyshack?

Brian Doyle Murray is a character actor so his cameo was ok by me. It's when major actors do them, especially in reboots or sequels.

I mean...it just kills me that Han, Luke and Leia didn't interact a single time in the new Star Wars movies. How can you...why would you..ahh never mind. You get the idea. Luke gets a small cameo at the end of Force Awakens, which is a great cliff hanger, but terrible Star Wars storytelling. Everyone's waited years and years to see Luke and finally they show him and...the movie ends. Then during the Last Jedi we finally get some Luke action and...they've totally betrayed everything the character stood for.

This is why it's a boon that Jason Reitman is doing GB3. And yes, I just used the word "boon". It's so perfect. It's not someone whose going to butt heads and clash with the tone and aesthetic that Ivan & company created. Sure, he'll make it his own. But I'm positive he'll respect the property.
moviemaker29 liked this
By back
Davideverona wrote: October 9th, 2019, 4:27 am That's if the snow doesn't slow down things.
Image Cant say, but if I could Id say 'Probably not'. :whatever:
I did just Re-Binged Stranger things again recently, I REALLY hope they have the similar language (that be it only slightly mature) 'barriers' in the new movie...
back wrote: October 9th, 2019, 6:14 am
Davideverona wrote: October 9th, 2019, 4:27 am That's if the snow doesn't slow down things.
Image Cant say, but if I could Id say 'Probably not'. :whatever:
I did just Re-Binged Stranger things again recently, I REALLY hope they have the similar language (that be it only slightly mature) 'barriers' in the new movie...
Wow. You realllly like using memes and emoji's eh? lol.

They should be ok. Snow won't affect the indoor sets. Most productions have plans in place for when weather doesn't cooperate or if a cast member gets sick.

When you say you can't say, are you inferring that you know something? Are you the same user that claimed to have signed an NDA or whatever?

Can you give some background on how or why you signed an NDA? For instance do you work in film/TV production?
Corey91, back liked this
By Scum
RichardLess wrote: October 8th, 2019, 9:18 pm I can't stand cameos. They take you right out of the movie. With GB16 it was a huge issue. They shore horned in all these cast members from the original with roles that made no sense. Bill Murray's cameo is embarrassing. It just made no sense, why use those actors? They could've been anyone and all it did was take you out of the movie and realize "I'd rather be watching the original film".

So GB2020 needs to avoid cameo's for cameo sake. I don't want any shoe horned characters that don't belong. if that means no Rick Moranis? I can live with that. Beyond the original core Ghostbusters crew, and even then I don't want mere cameos, unless the character belongs and has a purpose...don't feature them. I love Annie Potts...but does she really need to have a cameo?

When we see Cameos of Peter Venkman & Ray and Winston, guess what? It'll just make most people want to spend time with those characters we know and love.
Couldn’t agree more. I remember watching “Casper” as a kid and losing all interest after the Ray cameo.
Alphagaia wrote: October 9th, 2019, 2:08 pm If anyone is gonna mock Bills cameo in Zombieland I will bend them over the knee.
Best. Cameo. Ever.

It helps that he plays himself. Plus the Ghostbusters love?? I just wanted to hug that movie so badly.

Apparently Dan Aykroyd isn't it Zombieland 2 after all. Which is a bummer. I was looking forward to that.
Also. New Rumour.

I don't know if this is true or not. I can't tell you where I heard it, and that person--well it doesn't matter.

Here is what I was told: Ghostbusters 2020 involves...body swaps. The person that mentioned this to me said apparently Egon's spirit might be trapped in a certain character. A certain female character.

Ok. So again. I don't know if this is true. But it's what I was told.

Make of that what you will.

Edit: I should make clear. The person told me about the body swap. I'm not sure if the Egon spirit thing was a guess, but the person said for sure body swapping is part of the plot. Now..English also isn't this persons first language so Body Swap may just mean possession. I couldnt ask follow up questions. So what I was told was " body swap is part of Gb20 & Egon spirit trapped in female character". I don't really know the person that told me this very well. But he does work for a company connected to the film. I couldn't ask where he got the info from. Maybe he just read it on the Internet. But he does work in the industry and for a company connected to the film. So I just thought I'd let y'all know that tidbit.
Last edited by RichardLess on October 9th, 2019, 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardLess wrote: October 9th, 2019, 2:59 pm Also. New Rumour.

I don't know if this is true or not. I can't tell you where I heard it, and that person--well it doesn't matter.

Here is what I was told: Ghostbusters 2020 involves...body swaps. The person that mentioned this to me said apparently Egon's spirit might be trapped in a certain character. A certain female character.

Ok. So again. I don't know if this is true. But it's what I was told.

Make of that what you will.
That was a guess of mine about thirty pages back!

https://i.imgur.com/cMwtW9y.jpg Where do th[…]

Ecto Containment Unit

Hey sorry I never saw this…it’s just […]

Greetings from Montana

Hey and welcome

The amount of people participating in the milest[…]