Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
robbritton wrote: October 18th, 2019, 3:06 am
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Yeah I've always thought it was kind of weird that they had the 2 on their uniforms in the second film. I know it was probably just for marketing but the business itself is just "Ghostbusters" and not "Ghostbusters 2" so it's just kinda odd they made that choice. I would think it was even more weird if there was a 3 on the uniforms in this movie.
I said this before, but the peace sign was big in 1989. It's a "we're back and down with the kids, honest" gag as much as it is a "two". It's just that time has diluted memories of the former so subsequent generations see it as confusing.

I guess the modern equivalent would be if the new no-ghost logo was flossing while holding up three fingers! (I'm 41, cut me some slack if we're beyond flossing now! :D )
Yeah a peace sign makes zero sense. I don't think that's it. If they were worried about being "down with the kids" the ghost would be wearing shades with a backwards hat on. The "2" is more about it being Ghostbusters 2.0. They are back in business. New and improved. But the *real* reason, is that they just didn't think people would care. It's the "2" because this is a sequel. And it's the dumbest thing in the movie. And I love GB2. But it's stupid. That's the real reason. But the in universe explanation is that this is Ghostbusters 2. That's what they file on their taxes. Ghostbusters 1...ah Jesus never mind. The mental gymnastics I'm doing to explain away the "2" is exhausting.

I use to think it was the peace sign until I realized it doesn't make any sense. They are Ghostbusters. It'd be like if "No Smoking" signs had a picture of the cigarette giving a thumbs up. Sends a weird message.
deadderek liked this
By mrmichaelt
deadderek wrote: October 18th, 2019, 1:53 am
SpaceBallz wrote: October 18th, 2019, 1:34 am Paul Rudd was on Jimmy Kimmel, Kimmel tried to get GB3 info out of him but Rudd didn't budge lol.
Did he play the Mac & Me clip?
No, he put his finger to his mouth before he spoke and smiled every time Kimmel tried to ask him how it was like filming with Murray, Aykroyd, or Hudson. He only said to the effect of 'what a state movies are in when we can't talk about them. Ant-Man in Marvel, now Ghostbusters. And all I can say is Jason Reitman directed it.'

However, there was one new bit of info. He did reveal he finished his filming about 2 weeks ago.
deadderek, groschopf liked this
By robbritton
RichardLess wrote: October 18th, 2019, 3:23 am

I said this before, but the peace sign was big in 1989. It's a "we're back and down with the kids, honest" gag as much as it is a "two". It's just that time has diluted memories of the former so subsequent generations see it as confusing.

I guess the modern equivalent would be if the new no-ghost logo was flossing while holding up three fingers! (I'm 41, cut me some slack if we're beyond flossing now! :D )
Yeah a peace sign makes zero sense. I don't think that's it. If they were worried about being "down with the kids" the ghost would be wearing shades with a backwards hat on. The "2" is more about it being Ghostbusters 2.0. They are back in business. New and improved. But the *real* reason, is that they just didn't think people would care. It's the "2" because this is a sequel. And it's the dumbest thing in the movie. And I love GB2. But it's stupid. That's the real reason. But the in universe explanation is that this is Ghostbusters 2. That's what they file on their taxes. Ghostbusters 1...ah Jesus never mind. The mental gymnastics I'm doing to explain away the "2" is exhausting.

I use to think it was the peace sign until I realized it doesn't make any sense. They are Ghostbusters. It'd be like if "No Smoking" signs had a picture of the cigarette giving a thumbs up. Sends a weird message.
Man, it’s both. It’s definitely a two, but it’s also definitely a peace sign like every other pop star was doing in Look-In and Smash Hits at the time. It didn’t mean “peace” in the minds of youngsters in 1989, it mainly meant “look at me, I’m cool”. It was a serendipitous piece of marketing that worked with two interpretations at the time. I’m not trying to force a bizzare meaning on this after the fact, I just remember how it was received at the time, because I am old. Very, very old.
Wafflerobot liked this
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 6:04 pm

Yeah I've always thought it was kind of weird that they had the 2 on their uniforms in the second film. I know it was probably just for marketing but the business itself is just "Ghostbusters" and not "Ghostbusters 2" so it's just kinda odd they made that choice. I would think it was even more weird if there was a 3 on the uniforms in this movie.

Forgive me if this has been said already, but there is a decent reason in universe for the GB 2 Logo to be utilized on the car and uniforms. It may seem lame, but it makes sense. The peace ✌️ wielding logo was used as a temporary promotion signifying their comeback. If you check out the unfinished teaser trailer in the new box set Ray talks about having something to the effect of, “TWICE the experience, TWICE the Proton Power, and TWICE the know how.” I think the logo sporting the ✌️ Was just supposed to be a temporary promotion with the intent of reverting it back to the original once the promotion was over. Given the state the Ecto 1 appears to be in the new film I don’t think that thought is too far fetched. :):):)
Last edited by Kingpin on October 18th, 2019, 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: fixed quote code
robbritton, Sav C liked this
By Corey91
The whole movie was about the negativity of the world and specifically NYC. I always took it as the Ghostbusters trying to break that up and make their business logo/sign about peace, not so much the number 2 - although it does give double meaning. That's always been my own interpretation though!

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker’s God-given right." - the mayor
By Kingpin
StarSpengledBanner82 wrote: October 17th, 2019, 6:04 pm I know it was probably just for marketing but the business itself is just "Ghostbusters" and not "Ghostbusters 2" so it's just kinda odd they made that choice.
Actually, part of it was to tie in with the in-movie marketing campaign employed by the Ghostbusters: "Twice the know-how and twice the particle power", which made it into some of the movie's campaign material, but was ultimately left for the most part on the cutting room floor.
mrmichaelt wrote: October 17th, 2019, 8:05 pm Bruce Brownstein posted filming has wrapped.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3vehSxAnvV/

Aw man, they finally managed to break the cracked fog lamp glass on Ecto-1A's fender. :(
deadderek, robbritton liked this
By mrmichaelt
Muwarrior21 wrote: October 18th, 2019, 6:42 pm The wrap also all but confirms there is zero NYC content in this movie. No firehouse etc. bummer
Only principal photography ended. There's still a chance.
Kingpin wrote: October 18th, 2019, 7:02 pm Aw man, they finally managed to break the cracked fog lamp glass on Ecto-1A's fender. :(
You win the Internet this week, Kingpin. :P
Muwarrior21 wrote: October 18th, 2019, 6:42 pm That wrap picture i think is pretty telling. We are looking at some seriously limited cameo time from the originals and a whole lotta stranger things after all these years. Hopefully its a worthy entry unlike ATC

The wrap also all but confirms there is zero NYC content in this movie. No firehouse etc. bummer

There has been nothing telling about this entire production which is almost unheard of. Well actually it used to be unheard of, but some of the newer Star Wars films and the Marvel Films have kept a tight lip on their high profile productions. I think the same kind of care is going in to this movie. If we were to try to figure out everything about this movie with what we have been given. We would say that the kids are just going to go after a couple of ghosts driving the Ecto 1 using some old equipment. If we were to go by things we have seen in production it would tell us that the OGs are not in this movie and that there will be no GB uniforms or any Ghostbusting. I refuse to believe any of that. ;) We have no idea how much of this movie was shot on a closed sound stage. There is no way of really telling how big a part the original Ghostbusters have. I love how so many are convinced that there parts are going to be cameos as big as their roles in ATC. I think their role is much bigger than what is being let on. That would be one hell of a surprise. We don’t even know the runtime of this movie. :)

If there is anything that may be telling it will probably be the first theatrical trailer. :):):)
groschopf liked this
By deadderek
Yup because everyone knows a wrap photo means no filming was done at all in or around New York.

Please stop being that asinine.
EctoJames, Alphagaia, groschopf and 2 others liked this
By mrmichaelt
philmorgan81 wrote: October 18th, 2019, 7:40 pm We have no idea how much of this movie was shot on a closed sound stage.
We have a ball park. It looks likely they switched to interior filming full time after the September 7 filming at Macleod as there was the Deerfoot Walmart in late September then Jason's location for the wrap post was the Calgary Film Centre. They could have been at the CFC for about a month at least, imo. And we know they used three stages. One was probably the cave b.g. we saw in intro at the Fathom screening of the 1st movie. Brownstein's photo has an Ecto and blue screen on one of the stages. Interesting stuff. Curious to see where they decide to do reshoots. Back to Calgary. Or LA or somewhere else.
By EctoJames
They’re not going to be just cameos. Especially if this movie involves Shandor and Gozer. If they gotta go head to head with Gozer , I’m pretty sure they won’t go at it alone. They’ll need to call up the ones who showed that prehistoric bitch just how they did things downtown...just a thought
Scum liked this
By ShiftyHenry
Michael Scott wrote:<a class="vglnk" href="https://www.instagram.com/p/B3x4qXKA0pf ... 7iq936885p" rel="nofollow"><span>https</span><span>://</span><span>www</span><span>.</span><span>instagram</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>p</span><span>/</span><span>B3x4qXKA0pf</span><span>/?</span><span>igshid</span><span>=</span><span>ed7iq936885p</span></a>

Dr Winston Zeddemore
Calm down. That’s mine. I asked him to write that during our private signing a few months ago.
deadderek, groschopf liked this
By tylergfoster
Look, Jason is gonna say the movie is for the fans no matter what. It's not like filmmakers come out and say, "this one's strictly for the newcomers." I also think he is being sincere when he promises that! That said, I think there's a danger of people having a very rigid idea of what, or even think that something specific is being promised when he says that, and there's just no way to know what he defines as fan-pleasing -- not least of the reasons being he's had a different perspective on this his whole life thanks to who he is.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but hee might be under the impression that fans will enjoy a warm, heartfelt, funny movie in the world of the original Ghostbusters movies, rather than insisting on some extremely specific storyline that any given fan came up with 25 years ago (an outline which, of course, will be different for everybody). I don't say that to be mean or anything, and I know my pushback on nostalgia is not necessarily the norm, but the guy is an artist. He's driven by the story he and Gil Kenan created, including the Mckenna Grace character he said came to him first, and it's best not to expect that story or character to be overly burdened by a checklist of supposed obligations to deliver the guys "back in the saddle" or how much screentime they get. I hope he uses the world of Ghostbusters however he thinks fits the story he wants to tell, and I hope I like it.
deadderek, Sav C, philmorgan81 and 6 others liked this
droidguy1119 wrote: October 18th, 2019, 10:47 pm Look, Jason is gonna say the movie is for the fans no matter what. It's not like filmmakers come out and say, "this one's strictly for the newcomers." I also think he is being sincere when he promises that! That said, I think there's a danger of people having a very rigid idea of what, or even think that something specific is being promised when he says that, and there's just no way to know what he defines as fan-pleasing -- not least of the reasons being he's had a different perspective on this his whole life thanks to who he is.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but hee might be under the impression that fans will enjoy a warm, heartfelt, funny movie in the world of the original Ghostbusters movies, rather than insisting on some extremely specific storyline that any given fan came up with 25 years ago (an outline which, of course, will be different for everybody). I don't say that to be mean or anything, and I know my pushback on nostalgia is not necessarily the norm, but the guy is an artist. He's driven by the story he and Gil Kenan created, including the Mckenna Grace character he said came to him first, and it's best not to expect that story or character to be overly burdened by a checklist of supposed obligations to deliver the guys "back in the saddle" or how much screentime they get. I hope he uses the world of Ghostbusters however he thinks fits the story he wants to tell, and I hope I like it.

Very Well Said. Hey I don't think what you're saying is mean at all. Relying on too much Nostalgia certainly didn't do ATC any favors. Infact for me all it did was make me want to watch the original. I actually have a lot of confidence in whatever Jason Comes up with because he has been so close to the franchise at such a young age. Because even if we don't get a "Back in the Saddle Moment" I am convinced that what they come up with story wise will completely exceed my expectations for what a Ghostbusters sequel could be. Ghostbusters The a Video Game Exceeded all my expectations of what a third chapter could be and I don't expect anything less from this movie. ;)

Hell I bet I will see things in this movie that I had no idea I even wanted to see. If that makes any sense. LOL! :):):)
back, tylergfoster liked this
By RichardLess
droidguy1119 wrote: October 18th, 2019, 10:47 pm Look, Jason is gonna say the movie is for the fans no matter what. It's not like filmmakers come out and say, "this one's strictly for the newcomers." I also think he is being sincere when he promises that! That said, I think there's a danger of people having a very rigid idea of what, or even think that something specific is being promised when he says that, and there's just no way to know what he defines as fan-pleasing -- not least of the reasons being he's had a different perspective on this his whole life thanks to who he is.

Paul Rudd was on Kimmel & he mentioned the "fans will dig it" party line and that's when I realized: ah crap. They've been coached on things to say and "it's for the fans" or whatever it is, keeps getting repeated ad nauseam.

Movie studios "media train" actors to make sure they say certain buzz words and stay on brand during press junkets & interviews. It doesn't always work but you can tell its in play when all these different actors keep parroting the same phrases. This is also done so they don't spoil the movie accidentally but when I spot it, I cringe.

Next time any of you see one of the fast and furious movies getting promoted, note how many times the word "family" is used by the cast during interviews. That isn't an accident. Or the next Mission Impossible movie. Watch how many times the word "practical stunts" gets used.

Want to know how fake Hollywood is? All these big tentpole movies that get released need to be promoted. So studios give the actors these booklets, or sometimes pamphlets(depending on the budget). It will include memorable anecdotes, what to say when asked *insert question here*, memorable facts about the character they play, if it's based on a comic book it'll include facts about the comic book.

It's all factory made BS.
By Alphagaia
What you call bullshit, I just call marketing. They want to keep the movie a secret, so there is only so much one can say anyway.

We the fans scour all the interviews which are basically all the same questions and the same answers, but the general people don't watch all those interviews anyways. The biggest problem is the many big shows, news reporters want to have a scoop and hope an actor slips, but essentially it's all just the same.
RichRyan1507, robbritton, Kingpin and 4 others liked this

While waiting impatiently for Frozen Empire to rel[…]

Make it that pack, sell it for $599. (While I […]

Good morning everyone! I have a local toy collect[…]

Yeah, we've been building this thing for ten[…]