Talk about stuff that has nothing to do with Ghostbusters!
By GBfan77
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amYou are being a bit obtuse here.
You're a little obtuse yourself, Friend. I mean that in a nice way. You don't seem to get what I'm trying to get across. maybe that's my fault.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amOf course if you uploaded a photo of what you claim is a ghost I wouldn't believe it. Neither should anybody else. But there are ways to find out if an image has been tampered with.
And if such a test was performed and it was proven to be 100% authentic there would Still be people who would say it was fake and the person who performed the test was a fraud. Hell, you'd probably be the first to call out "Bullshit"
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amEvery person who has claimed to see a ghost and isn't making it up for attention(which is what most of them do) has probably had something else happen to them that is reasonable and explainable.
Yes, absolutely. If you see something the first thing you do is rule out all possible explanations. You weren't on drugs, you were not dreaming, it wasn't an illusion, etc. When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amRemember the Laurel and Yanny audio phenomenon that went viral last year? Or the "blue" dress that everyone thought was white? Human's are easily tricked. We are.
I remember that, I wasn't fooled by either one. Of course, I didn't give a crap either.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amAlso it's extremely scientific to dismiss eye witness testimony when inexplicable, explainable paranormal events are said to occur. Science as a definition is something that can be studied and observed.
And when was the last time this phenomena has been studied and observed by a scientist? Never as far as I know. All those guys running around in dark houses with EMF detectors trying to catch something are not scientists. They collect data but it might not be properly interpreted. I would love to see a scientist actually do some research in the field in these places that are supposed to be haunted. But you'd have better chances of seeing world peace in your lifetime.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amGhosts are just science fiction.
So was the submarine, Space Travel, and breaking the sound barrier. What was Science fiction in the past has become science fact today. The paranormal is just the normal that hasn't been discovered yet. Whether it's a disembodied spirit or a natural occurring phenomenon that hasn't been identified.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amAlso, if you are or anyone is Christian and don't believe what is written in the bible is a fact how can you believe in any of it? Either it's legit or it's not. Again, it's a book that was largely written hundreds of years after the events depicted in the New Testament. Yes, Jesus was more than likely a real person. No he didn't die and come back from the dead, turn water into wine or walk on water. God didn't create the earth in 6 days.
Most Christians tend to focus on the Miracles and such. I focus on the human aspect of Jesus. His teachings, the parables, How he saved a woman from being stoned to death. To me that's always been more important.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amYou never played telephone a kid? Wow. But you are aware of the premise of the game and understand how it works and why it's infamous though, right?
I swear I've never played the game and I don't even know how it's played. Up until today I've never even heard of it.

There have been videos recorded of supposed Paranormal Phenomena. Most can be dismissed. But those that can't be easily dismissed probably have never been properly examined and most likely never will be. Except maybe on a Sci Fi channel special and even then you can't be sure the person doing the examination is the lidget
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amPeople who believe want to believe because it's exciting and fun. It's mysterious and scary. It's also hooey.
All of this and more.
By RichardLess
GBfan77 wrote: July 20th, 2019, 2:54 pm
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amYou are being a bit obtuse here.
You're a little obtuse yourself, Friend. I mean that in a nice way. You don't seem to get what I'm trying to get across. maybe that's my fault.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amOf course if you uploaded a photo of what you claim is a ghost I wouldn't believe it. Neither should anybody else. But there are ways to find out if an image has been tampered with.
And if such a test was performed and it was proven to be 100% authentic there would Still be people who would say it was fake and the person who performed the test was a fraud. Hell, you'd probably be the first to call out "Bullshit"
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amEvery person who has claimed to see a ghost and isn't making it up for attention(which is what most of them do) has probably had something else happen to them that is reasonable and explainable.
Yes, absolutely. If you see something the first thing you do is rule out all possible explanations. You weren't on drugs, you were not dreaming, it wasn't an illusion, etc. When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amRemember the Laurel and Yanny audio phenomenon that went viral last year? Or the "blue" dress that everyone thought was white? Human's are easily tricked. We are.
I remember that, I wasn't fooled by either one. Of course, I didn't give a crap either.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amAlso it's extremely scientific to dismiss eye witness testimony when inexplicable, explainable paranormal events are said to occur. Science as a definition is something that can be studied and observed.
And when was the last time this phenomena has been studied and observed by a scientist? Never as far as I know. All those guys running around in dark houses with EMF detectors trying to catch something are not scientists. They collect data but it might not be properly interpreted. I would love to see a scientist actually do some research in the field in these places that are supposed to be haunted. But you'd have better chances of seeing world peace in your lifetime.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amGhosts are just science fiction.
So was the submarine, Space Travel, and breaking the sound barrier. What was Science fiction in the past has become science fact today. The paranormal is just the normal that hasn't been discovered yet. Whether it's a disembodied spirit or a natural occurring phenomenon that hasn't been identified.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amAlso, if you are or anyone is Christian and don't believe what is written in the bible is a fact how can you believe in any of it? Either it's legit or it's not. Again, it's a book that was largely written hundreds of years after the events depicted in the New Testament. Yes, Jesus was more than likely a real person. No he didn't die and come back from the dead, turn water into wine or walk on water. God didn't create the earth in 6 days.
Most Christians tend to focus on the Miracles and such. I focus on the human aspect of Jesus. His teachings, the parables, How he saved a woman from being stoned to death. To me that's always been more important.
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amYou never played telephone a kid? Wow. But you are aware of the premise of the game and understand how it works and why it's infamous though, right?
I swear I've never played the game and I don't even know how it's played. Up until today I've never even heard of it.

There have been videos recorded of supposed Paranormal Phenomena. Most can be dismissed. But those that can't be easily dismissed probably have never been properly examined and most likely never will be. Except maybe on a Sci Fi channel special and even then you can't be sure the person doing the examination is the lidget
RichardLess wrote: July 20th, 2019, 11:34 amPeople who believe want to believe because it's exciting and fun. It's mysterious and scary. It's also hooey.
All of this and more.
I'm going to focus on one thing in particular you said(we can dance around the religion thing until both of us are blue in the face. It's best not to focus on that and I regret bringing it up, religion is a matter of faith and is often personal, though I guess perhaps so is belief in Ghosts?) . Well two things actually Because it says a lot about misinformation.

You mention submarines and breaking the sound barrier and space travel were once the land of science fiction. That is actually wrong. For quite a long time we've understood the principles and physics involved in each of these endeavours. It was simply a matter of, well, doing it. Each of the things you mentioned were well understood, more or less, on a level of mathematics and science. There is no such level of understanding for ghosts. Einstein did not predict that the dead walk among us as ethereal entities.

You also say you weren't fooled by the laurel and Yanny thing. I'm not sure what you mean here. Nobody was "fooled". Some people heard "laurel" while others heard "Yanny". And while it's great you claim not to have been fooled by it(or whatever it is you meant by that) everyone else that listened it had a different experience. I use this to point out how unreliable humans are. If two people listening to the same audio file hear different things, well, that doesn't speak well of our ability to decipher the information around us.

Again. We can do this dance until we are old and dying. As it stands, I have science, reason and logic on my side.

You have belief, faith and...well. That's it. However, Faith is a powerful thing. It really is. Sometimes I wish I had it. Other times I'm glad I don't. It can blind reason. But it's powerful.

Also, I have to ask. Where does it end? Do you believe in Vampires? Gremlins? Goblins? Witches? Elves? Santa Claus? The Easter Bunny? Mermaids? You may think I'm joking here but I'm serious. Ghosts have as much chance as existing as any of the things I mentioned. If you don't believe in those things, well, why not? People have reported encounters with vampires and goblins and witches, same as they have with ghosts. Are they lying?
deadderek liked this
By timeware
I've had a couple of experiences with the paranormal that's hard for me to disprove. I used to be skeptic so let's just leave it there. Ive already posted a couple of them, But with the discovery of the rumored giant squid who's to say what's really out there?

With the world's weather constantly changing theres the possibility of creatures being forced to come up to the surface that normally wouldn't. I don't believe in vampires and gremlins, but I will consider megalodon is still out in the deep. Theres still 95 percent left of the ocean to explore, and terrain like Antarctica that could still be hiding some cryptids.
By RichardLess
timeware wrote: July 21st, 2019, 5:43 pm I've had a couple of experiences with the paranormal that's hard for me to disprove. I used to be skeptic so let's just leave it there. Ive already posted a couple of them, But with the discovery of the rumored giant squid who's to say what's really out there?

With the world's weather constantly changing theres the possibility of creatures being forced to come up to the surface that normally wouldn't. I don't believe in vampires and gremlins, but I will consider megalodon is still out in the deep. Theres still 95 percent left of the ocean to explore, and terrain like Antarctica that could still be hiding some cryptids.
Apples and bowling balls. I would say There is a way more of a chance of cryptozoological creatures out there in the deep than ghosts. We know things like dinosaurs use to roam the earth so who knows. Hell, I'll even admit there's a very strong possibility of Aliens. Any biological we can make sense of. Giant squids aren't paranormal. Or supernatural. They've been washing up on shores for decades. But you're right. The ocean remains largely a mystery to us. We know more about the moon than we do what's beneath us in the deep.

But ghosts? No such thing. I've had 3 events happen in my life that could be described as paranormal. But rather than give in to fantasy I know there is an explanation without resorting to ghosts as the answer. I can explain away all but the 3rd one, which wasn't a spiritual encounter. It was more...otherworldly. Maybe a UFO. I'd say hallucination but there were 3 others with me and we all saw the same thing. It was the weekend of that massive blackout in 2003. The weekend of August 14th. I'll never forget it.
deadderek liked this
By Nesslyquick
I personally do not. I don't discount the possibility of there being some unkown afterlife, but there's not a preponderousness of evidence to convince me that we can make any assumptions about it, therefore it is beyond my desire to think about (philosophy and theology, not physics or chemistry).

I can see the comfort and appeal, though. Spooky movies and television is fun to watch. Having a vivid memory of my deceased grandfather's welcoming voice the first time I walked into his home after his passing was comforting. The existential crisis of accepting that after death, there's probably nothing but the same blackness of dreamless sleep is horrifying at first. I totally get why someone would want to believe in them, and do not begrudge them that.

I just all too easily shake my head when they present evidence as cold hard proof without applying any sort of scientific method to it. My bar is quite a bit higher than theirs, and neither side really wants to lecture or be lectured to the other, so I try to live and let live.
GBfan77, deadderek liked this
By GBfan77
Nesslyquick wrote: September 5th, 2019, 11:36 amI can see the comfort and appeal, though. Spooky movies and television is fun to watch.
My favorite is Paranormal Witness. You have a favorite?
Nesslyquick wrote: September 5th, 2019, 11:36 amHaving a vivid memory of my deceased grandfather's welcoming voice the first time I walked into his home after his passing was comforting. The existential crisis of accepting that after death, there's probably nothing but the same blackness of dreamless sleep is horrifying at first. I totally get why someone would want to believe in them, and do not begrudge them that.
I had a similar experience just recently. My Grandmother passed away almost twenty years ago (I can't believe it's been that long) and recently I visited my Uncle who currently lives in her house. I looked into her room that still had her bed and a few items she owned in life. Now the room should've felt the same now as it did when she slept there twenty years ago. But it didn't. Have you ever gone to a building and it didn't feel quite right? Like you get this weird vibe?

Now does this mean that her spirit resided in the room? As much as a part of me would like to think so, I obviously can't say with absolute certainty that was the case. Maybe the room felt weird because I associated it with a person who was a part of my family and who is no longer with us.
By bishopdonmiguel
No, but it would be nice to be proven wrong.
deadderek liked this
By Calidrifter
Yes, I was hanging out at my exes with her front door open. Windows had the blinds closed and it was still sunny outside. Saw a person walk in front of the windows. When they should have passed the door no one did. It was the freakiest shit I have ever experienced. I was on the cusp before that but that experience sealed the deal.
GBfan77, darthbuster liked this
By Mat
Nope!

But I had a funky experience as a kid when I was sick and overtired and hallucinated that my mom came into my room before she did as well as adult me routinely experiences sleep paralysis. The first time it happened it freaked the heck out of me but whenever it happens now I just ready myself for an epic trip into psychology and the subconscious lol!
deadderek liked this
By GBfan77
Mat wrote: October 12th, 2019, 10:09 pm Nope!

But I had a funky experience as a kid when I was sick and overtired and hallucinated that my mom came into my room before she did as well as adult me routinely experiences sleep paralysis. The first time it happened it freaked the heck out of me but whenever it happens now I just ready myself for an epic trip into psychology and the subconscious lol!
We need to start a thread about sleep paralysis because that's some scary shit.
By vincentgonzo
Absolutely!

Believe it or not ive had experiences since i was a baby at the first house i lived in.

When i was just a baby in the crib, i was crying one night and not in a normal way. My Mother tried to get up and she said she felt something hold her down. She couldnt get up. She wakes my Dad up telling him to go check on me, something is wrong! He bolts from the bed with the holy water, and as soon as he blessed my room, the hold on my Mom broke and she bolted to the room to grab me and check on me.

Ever since then ive had Spiritual, poltergeist, many different experiences with the supernatural. I even learned recently that im an empath, so i can sense and feel the enviroment around me; especially when theirs a spiritual presence.

I jus find it complete irony that im a Ghostbuster lol
GBfan77 liked this
By MichaelS
Despite being a great GB fan, I don't believe in ghosts at all. I've recently seen "the conjuring", which is supposed to be based on a true story. While watching it, I realized that some concepts (ghosts, demons, etc.) are very far from what I can conceive of as reality.
GBfan77, deadderek liked this
By GBfan77
MichaelS wrote: April 2nd, 2020, 1:14 am Despite being a great GB fan, I don't believe in ghosts at all. I've recently seen "the conjuring", which is supposed to be based on a true story. While watching it, I realized that some concepts (ghosts, demons, etc.) are very far from what I can conceive of as reality.
The conjuring is a good horror movie. Probably one of the most intense horror films I've ever seen. You know it's good when you're sitting in the theater and you hear grown men yell "FU_K!". They say it's based on a true story but there are scenes filmed that never happened and was fabricated for the film.
By RichardMcCombs
himebware wrote: November 15th, 2018, 2:49 am I looked out my window this morning to see him digging in my trash.
In all seriousness though going to places like Savanah, Gettysburg, Tombstone, you definitely get the sense that somethings going on. While I hope that people are respectful in places like Dachau they have a ton of "dark" history not to have something lingering there.
Investigating the ruins of old castles I will bet you money you come out with a different perspective.Battle fields like Antitem are almost unchaged from the Civil war. If you watch them long enough you could almost imagine the civil war taking place.
Well, Maybe a Little...
Just a few years ago a poll revealed that 45 percent of Americans believe in ghosts or that people’s spirits can return in certain places and situations. And that number is probably much higher once you take into consideration the people who either weren’t surveyed or didn’t want to admit they believe. The reality is, many folks have had experiences they just can’t explain or have witnessed mysterious, eerie sights, sounds and sensations that could only be a paranormal encounter. If you’re one who would answer yes when asked if ghosts are real, what’s your reason? Before you answer, take a look at what researchers have found as to why people believe in ghosts.
By mysticalkingsmanstar
I once turned off the lights....looked in the mirror.... i could see "something", not saying it was a ghost but a lot of times in the dark you see movement of your body or anything that's a solid reflection and i could have sworn i saw a spirit of someone i knew.... later I thought maybe i saw it again in my room with lights off.... bizarre. After that hasn't been nothing since.
By l3w1sb159
While I have never seen any concrete evidence, I have had a fair few unexplainable things happen to me over the years so I'm open to the idea of ghosts and paranormal energy.
This universe is huge and anything could be possible, and as we understand it; the first law of thermodynamics states - energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another.
So taking that, the energy that our body contains when our body dies must convert to some other form; whatever that may be...

An interesting thought.
GBfan77 liked this
By ghoulishfright
I've never personally seen a ghost, but I have experienced ADC phenomena (after death communication) and precognition on a number of occasions, and my mother once witnessed a corporeal manifestation.

People who expect there to be audiovisual evidence of spirits are forgetting something: they're psychic phenomena. Expecting to see video proof of ghosts is like expecting to see video proof of someone's dream; it's impossible, but that doesn't disprove the phenomena.

Also, we live in a culture of Scientism, where sharing paranormal experience is very taboo, which is why many people who experience something don't talk about it, which then creates the false impression that it's far less common than it actually is. According to at least one study, approximately 20% of Americans have experienced after-death communication. That's way more than a few nutballs. Just think about the Victorian era, when most people acted like they didn't have sexual experiences (or thoughts), even though behind closed doors everybody was doing it. It's the same thing with the paranormal today. Nobody wants to be called a nutter.
By RichardLess
ghoulishfright wrote: March 6th, 2021, 4:05 pm I've never personally seen a ghost, but I have experienced ADC phenomena (after death communication) and precognition on a number of occasions, and my mother once witnessed a corporeal manifestation.

People who expect there to be audiovisual evidence of spirits are forgetting something: they're psychic phenomena. Expecting to see video proof of ghosts is like expecting to see video proof of someone's dream; it's impossible, but that doesn't disprove the phenomena.

Also, we live in a culture of Scientism, where sharing paranormal experience is very taboo, which is why many people who experience something don't talk about it, which then creates the false impression that it's far less common than it actually is. According to at least one study, approximately 20% of Americans have experienced after-death communication. That's way more than a few nutballs. Just think about the Victorian era, when most people acted like they didn't have sexual experiences (or thoughts), even though behind closed doors everybody was doing it. It's the same thing with the paranormal today. Nobody wants to be called a nutter.
Sharing a paranormal experience is taboo? This is 2021 not 1922. People love talking about this junk. Go turn on your TV right now. There’s a good chance somewhere on it there’s BS paranormal ghost hunting show.

Also saying Ghosts don’t show up on film like there’s a rule or principle that’s understood is very suspect. Ghosts don’t show up on film because there’s nothing there to film. If a person sees a ghost and takes a picture and that ghost isn’t on that picture then that person has hallucinated or had some sort of stroke.

Everyone here needs to keep in mind one thing. Human beings are EXTREMELY unreliable witnesses. Ask any prosecutor and they’ll tell you the same thing, the most unreliable evidence is witness testimony. Show a picture of a yellow car at night to 10 people and wait 48 hours and ask them to recall the colour of the car and time of day. It’s amazing how many will get it wrong. Then we have to consider the massive amount of people who lie for attention or fun.

Any phenomena you’ve experienced that you label as paranormal, be it precognition or whatever, there’s bound to be a rational explanation for it.

Human beings want so badly for there to be “more”. There’s gotta more than just this, right? This tactile plain of existence. It’s why conspiracy theories and UFO’s and stories of the paranormal are so enticing. A huge part of our psyche wants them to be true. It means there’s some sort of order in all this chaos. There’s maybe a plan and a reason. Something beyond these walls we live in. Gorillas don’t get to have ghosts. We never see or hear about Gorilla ghosts. Why is that? We all know the answer.
deadderek, RedSpecial liked this
By GBfan77
RichardLess wrote: March 6th, 2021, 7:03 pm Sharing a paranormal experience is taboo? This is 2021 not 1922. People love talking about this junk. Go turn on your TV right now. There’s a good chance somewhere on it there’s BS paranormal ghost hunting show.
The Taboo I think is the reaction of people like you who would potentially reticule someone who saw something he or she couldn't explain. Nobody likes being made a joke of.
RichardLess wrote: March 6th, 2021, 7:03 pmAlso saying Ghosts don’t show up on film like there’s a rule or principle that’s understood is very suspect. Ghosts don’t show up on film because there’s nothing there to film. If a person sees a ghost and takes a picture and that ghost isn’t on that picture then that person has hallucinated or had some sort of stroke.
Yes, of course you'll have people hallucinating as that's one logical explanation, but not everything people see is in their head. People see things they can't explain. That doesn't mean it was this or that, they just don't know what it was they saw. As far as the camera goes, is it the case the "Ghost" didn't appear on film or is it simply the case the camera not having enough lighting and other technical issues.
RichardLess wrote: March 6th, 2021, 7:03 pmAny phenomena you’ve experienced that you label as paranormal, be it precognition or whatever, there’s bound to be a rational explanation for it.
Somethings can't be rationally explained. At least not right away. We don't know enough yet to explain everything away. Even if we did, do we really want to?
RichardLess wrote: March 6th, 2021, 7:03 pm Gorillas don’t get to have ghosts. We never see or hear about Gorilla ghosts. Why is that? We all know the answer.
Has anyone went out and looked for Gorilla Ghosts? I've heard the sounds of a dog's nails on a floor after the dog has died, but now you've got me wondering.
Proton Props UK

I've seen that too...... Maybe, I don't know? Fu[…]

Hasbro Ghostbusters

While you're 100% correct about the function[…]

Uniform Tips

It does rain frequently here in London, but not to[…]

The yellow parts are raw 3D prints, unsanded and u[…]