The first batch of parts got completed for the gun. I held off on printing the second main body in case the holes were too big and I would have to get the model remade with smaller holes so as to not scrap the ton-o-printing I have already done.
I got a bit excited when the first main body was complete and went to town putting it together and sanding it. I may have missed some pictures on the building process. The PLA sands fairly well and the layer lines look like machining marks.
Because this was the first batch of parts, they are a little rougher because I am tuning the printer for the parts as a batch prints. Still, they do not look too bad. I put the side piece on the main body and started sanding it to make things uniform. I paint minis in my free time, so I have a bunch of plastic putty around.
I simply filled in gaps and let them dry. Then I sanded everything down with 200 grit sandpaper. I don't think I am going any smoother than 200 for most of this. I like the feel of it and even though it looks really cool, once it gets painted, the really cool lines will be gone.
I did take the time to sand down the barrel and the handle all the way down to 2000 grit to keep it really smooth. I will still rough it up where the grips will contact the parts but the rest of the barrel and handle will be smooth.
super glue. Once two parts are put together, they are bonded in 3 seconds and will not move. This was a bit of an issue with the barrel.
I printed the barrel in 2 parts. This reduced the chance that the part could get tipped during the print. The ends would need to butt together to make the full barrel. This is okay because the grips will be covering most of it and providing most of the strength. The front of the main body has a little nub for the barrel to fit over. The fit is snug and about an inch, so there is plenty of contact area.
I put glue on the nub and lined up the barrel to position it. There is a hole at the end of the barrel that allows for wires to be run thru the barrel. This hole had to be 90° offset for proper placement. This is where I found out how fast this material bonds with super glue. I put the barrel over the nub and started to twist it to fully seat the barrel and line up the thru-hole. In about 3 seconds, I couldn't move the barrel anymore and the hole was offset by about 45°. To correct this, I ended up filling the hole with plastic putty so that it can be sanded smooth. I will drill a hole in the proper place later.
I sanded the rest of the components and glued them on. I now have something that resembles a particle thrower.