Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By JonXCTrack
My guess is the trailer will consist of:

(1) Establishing shot of the family's new home in Summerville, OK with a voice over giving us the reason why they are there.
(2) The kids opening the barn door and seeing this giant object under a tarp. They lift the tarp to see the Ghostbusters Logo on the back of the Ecto-1.
(3) The kids asking their mom about the car they found. She provides an explanation, but the dialogue is cut off so as not to give away too much.
(4) The kids talking to Paul Rudd's character about something supernatural in nature (maybe the earthquakes?)
(5) A scene with Janine answering the phone saying "Ghostbusters, whattya want?" or some equivalent of that.
(6) The Ecto-1 speeding through town chasing a ghost. The chair folds out and we see McKenna Grace turn on the thrower before it cuts to black with the title - Ghostbusters: Afterlife Coming July 10, 2020.
Wafflerobot liked this
By zeta otaku
Look, I don't care what's in the trailer so long as it isn't like those "Hi, I'm a dog and I LOOOOVE my owner!" movie trailers where they actually SHOW THE ENDING in the trailer and every other major plot point, thus becoming less trailer and more the movie: abridged.

And yes, we need a trailer that gives some idea of what's coming. The teaser we got earlier in the year is NOT enough. I have plenty of people in my life who like Ghostbusters but aren't anywhere near as into it as I am, and when I showed them that teaser the main reaction was "is this some kind of fan film?"
BatDan liked this
By Kingpin
Here's my view on what the trailer we may see this week might feature:

Sony Pictures logo.
Columbia Pictures logo.
Fade from black on a car heading along a highway, summer sun blazing.
Interior shot of the car featuring Finn, Mckenna, with Carrie driving.
Dialogue: Generic talk about moving to Summerville, Finn or Grace expressing their wish to have stayed in their old home. Carrie reassures the kids things are going to be great.
Exterior shot of the car as it passes the "Welcome to Summerville" sign, we get a pan of the town itself which seems charming, if unremarkable.
Shot of Carrie, Finn and Mckenna moving into an apartment - NOT the farmhouse, meeting the neighbours. There's some sort of visual cue none of them see, or at least see properly, suggesting something unusual is occurring in Summerville - fade to black.
Fade from black, Finn at his first day at his new school, he introduces himself, and meets Celeste and Logan. We get an abridged explanation of the old house, and its reclusive former occupant.
Finn and his new friends ride up to the property line. Finn suggests they check it out. Celeste and Logan get part way, but it's only Finn who makes it to the property. He finds Ecto-1 in the barn, and pulls back the tarp to reveal the logo. Fade or cut to black.
Caption/Dramatic music
Finn starts to do a little digging on the internet, his sister quickly becomes involved. They learn a bit about the Ghostbusters. They visit Ecto-1 again, this time with Logan and Celeste.
A clip of Paul's character, talking about the seismic activity in the town
A clip of the kids plotting, figuring that with the equipment they've found, they could try sort things out themselves, have a Summer adventure.
A snippet of the chase in Ecto-1.
A clip of the the kids getting caught by the town sheriff.
A clip of the bigger threat starting to make itself known.
Caption
A clip of Carrie and Paul getting pulled into the events.
A tease of something appropriately dramatic as the trailer ends, leaving us wanting more.
Title caption
A final bit of funny dialogue, a final reminder this is meant to be a comedy, even if it is a bit darker than before.
Release date caption.
By deadderek
I just hope we get enough "meat" in the trailer. 2 and a half minutes might seem like a lot but as was pointed out before there's likely to be plenty of logos, blank screen moments, slow shots, etc.
I think at this point I’m more nervous than excited. I figure most of us will have positive thoughts about it, but if the general reaction is negative, or “meh,” or “do we really need this,” that’ll bum me out. It’s like getting a different haircut you like when you’re a teenager, but being worried what everyone else thinks. You just don’t know until it’s out there.

On the other hand, I still remember the excitement I had the first time I saw the GBII trailer when I was a kid. I had no idea it was coming, and then I saw the one with Dana walking up the museum stairs, with the wind and the ominous music, and when she stopped and looked over her shoulder, my eyes got real big and I said “is this another Ghostbusters movie?!?!” Then by the end of the trailer I was jumping up and down.

Here’s hoping the general response is positive.
twmedford23, deadderek, Coover5 and 2 others liked this
I think there will have to be more than a fleeting reference to the originals.

I think we'll need a shot of the guys or at least Dan Aykroyd, with the clear indication that he's playing Ray Stantz.

Without personally commenting on GB16 in any way, I think it's important that this trailer makes clear that it is a sequel to GB/GB2 and not a sequel to GB16.
deadderek, Kingpin, robbritton and 1 others liked this
By deadderek
Doctor Venkman wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 12:39 pm I think there will have to be more than a fleeting reference to the originals.

I think we'll need a shot of the guys or at least Dan Aykroyd, with the clear indication that he's playing Ray Stantz.

Without personally commenting on GB16 in any way, I think it's important that this trailer makes clear that it is a sequel to GB/GB2 and not a sequel to GB16.
My big wish would be for a "Chewie we're home." moment at the end of the trailer with Venkman.

I will say that Afterlife seems to be getting pretty good buzz on the internet and social media in general so far. Especially on Twitter.
RichRyan1507, Coover5, moviemaker29 and 2 others liked this
Why does this have to be connected to Jumanji, or any other movie? When the trailer drops it’ll be on the internet just like any trailer. Black Widow came out today and I found out by scrolling YouTube, then saw a link on Facebook. That’s how these are distributed now. I’m not saying it won’t be in the theaters when Jumanji releases, just that there’s no reason it has to wait until then.
By deadderek
Michael Scott wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 1:46 pm Why does this have to be connected to Jumanji, or any other movie? When the trailer drops it’ll be on the internet just like any trailer. Black Widow came out today and I found out by scrolling YouTube, then saw a link on Facebook. That’s how these are distributed now. I’m not saying it won’t be in the theaters when Jumanji releases, just that there’s no reason it has to wait until then.
Sony putting a new trailer for a Sony movie in front of another Sony movie. Makes perfect sense.
Alphagaia liked this
By deadderek
Muwarrior21 wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 1:51 pm the jumanji thing is pure speculation though , we do not have any facts that claim it will be this week yet it is getting propogated online like crazy
That's why in my posts I put "speculation is".
Coover5 liked this
By groschopf
Michael Scott wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 1:46 pm Why does this have to be connected to Jumanji, or any other movie? When the trailer drops it’ll be on the internet just like any trailer.
IF they studio drops the trailer before Jumanji, they'd do so for several reasons.

1. they've got a captive audience that will see the trailer but wouldn't otherwise seek it out online.
2. a lot of that audience would be children who aren't familiar with the franchise. this would create a demand to see it.
3. a small subsection of Ghostbusters fans that are parents would buy tickets to this film to see the trailer and entertain their kid(s). that's money in the bank instead of eyes on a free YouTube video.
Alphagaia liked this
By groschopf
For what it's worth, I really want the trailer to come out this weekend.

I also remember when the full trailer to the last Ghostbusters film came out in 2016 -- March 3rd of that year, with a release date of July 11th.

Granted, Feig showed us costumes and props online well in advance, but that trailer only preceded the film release by four months.
Yeah, well, the Ghostbusters (2016) trailer was pretty obviously plagued by behind-the-scenes battles. Seems evident to me that it was intended to appear in December, like this one, alongside the posters they put out that month.

As I said in the box office thread, I'm skeptical about what the public's reaction will be. Lots of people still have negative memories of the 2016 discourse, even people who liked that movie.
deadderek, Sav C liked this
By mrmichaelt
groschopf wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 2:34 pm
Michael Scott wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 1:46 pm Why does this have to be connected to Jumanji, or any other movie? When the trailer drops it’ll be on the internet just like any trailer.
IF they studio drops the trailer before Jumanji, they'd do so for several reasons.

1. they've got a captive audience that will see the trailer but wouldn't otherwise seek it out online.
2. a lot of that audience would be children who aren't familiar with the franchise. this would create a demand to see it.
3. a small subsection of Ghostbusters fans that are parents would buy tickets to this film to see the trailer and entertain their kid(s). that's money in the bank instead of eyes on a free YouTube video.
The first premieres for movies like Jumanji The Next Level and Star Wars Episode IX should be starting this week, so I think that also increases the chances of the Afterlife trailer releasing later this week in addition to the fact that 007 and Black Widow's trailers have now dropped.
By groschopf
To the earlier point of effects the 2016 film will have on marketing this new film... they kind of HAVE to have a "Chewie, we're home" moment in the trailer. The studio would likely insist on making clear that this is part of the original continuity in as blunt of a way as possible.

You can show the original car and gear, but the general audience may not understand that this is separate from the 2016 film unless they hit them over the head with an appearance by Bill Murray.
By pizzarat
groschopf wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 4:19 pm To the earlier point of effects the 2016 film will have on marketing this new film... they kind of HAVE to have a "Chewie, we're home" moment in the trailer. The studio would likely insist on making clear that this is part of the original continuity in as blunt of a way as possible.

You can show the original car and gear, but the general audience may not understand that this is separate from the 2016 film unless they hit them over the head with an appearance by Bill Murray.
I totally agree with that. There was a real cognitive dissonance that original Ghostbusers weren't in the last movie, even though the trailer never alluded to it. This trailer needs to be distinctive, to-the-point, and funny. Most importantly it needs to establish that it is connected to the first two Ghostbusters movies.
groschopf liked this
By groschopf
Kids brought up watching "the Real Ghostbusters" recoil any time there's something resembling a knock-off. Let's call this the Filmation Effect.

The knock-off animated show conditioned fans to reject substitutes. We want to see Venkman, Zeddemore, Stantz and (RIP) Spengler.

The GB2 coloring books (Egon without glasses, Ray with a mustache) reinforced that effect. Extreme Ghostbusters ran into some of those headwinds, and ATC done got knocked on its ass by it. The Universal Studio "Great Fright Way" show. Sanctum of Slime. We don't accept tinkering with the universe or replacing beloved characters with imitations.

try not hating this image

The 2020 film will encounter some of that friction since we're meeting new characters, but not nearly on the same level given the clear continuity. Still, Ghostbusters fans are fiercely brand loyal because we were trained by marketing not to accept substitutes. The studio kind of has to have at least one OGB in the trailer to ensure acceptance.

I say that now, and then I'll inevitably be proven wrong when they play the OGB angle close to the chest up until release. But it's something they must have considered.
Michael Scott, Kingpin liked this
By Dr.D
Just out of curiosity, is there any ACTUAL info on a release date for a trailer? I mean I know it was classified, but we've seen nothing else to indicate it's coming this week. I'd hazard a guess that with Bond coming tomorrow we might not see it until next week.
By deadderek
back wrote: December 3rd, 2019, 5:55 pm I smell a Pic Intense post coming 10 minutes after the trailer is released of frame by frame shots of Anything pertaining to Shandor, 1st film tie-ins, etc.
4k trailer rip...gonna go over it frame by frame.

Definately have to agree that this trailer HAS to in some way make it clear it's not tied in with that reboot. We need to lure the fans back.
back liked this

Any idea when you might get the Goggle metallic la[…]

Be careful removing the Hasbro weathering using […]

Are these autographs legit?

This is over a month old, but none of the four sig[…]

Charlesworth Dynamics Trap Build

Hi All, The Trap is coming on, I've nearly finish[…]