Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By McCrea
SpaceBallz wrote: December 6th, 2019, 12:24 pm With the new info, I guess we can rule out the reddit leak:
This Post Contains Spoilers
So the Ghostbusters fizzled out in the early 90s and they're basically an urban myth. One thing that kinda bugged me with GB2 was that people didn't believe what had happened 5 years prior even though there were news cameras covering the entire thing. I hope theres some kind of explanation, it wont ruin my enjoyment with the film.
Maybe the Ghostbusters are just no longer called Ghostbusters?

Win the Winston a CEo in the leak and the Z logo that Jason shared, maybe they are under another name and because of an accident the name of Ghostbusters logo are just put down and forgotten?
JonXCTrack liked this
By JonXCTrack
Kingpin wrote:We also have to consider that Winston may have set up a completely unrelated company, he's moved on from the Ghostbusters, but put his experiences and knowledge to good use.
That's the most likely scenario, I agree. I would imagine the business would have to be similar, which is why the skills would translate.
Last edited by Kingpin on December 6th, 2019, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.Reason: Fixed broken quote
Dr.D, tylergfoster liked this
By Gozerhead
So...I thought after GB84 they guys were sued and no longer allowed to bust ghosts. People didn't "forget" about them - they just weren't a thing.

There also wasn't a need for them beyond the Manhattan Crossrip, until Vigo. Both incidents existed in the 80's, were isolated to NY, and were at a time without the 24/7 online news we now have. It is likely they weren't in high demand after Vigo either.

In rereading the articles from today, I don't get the sense that the GB's were necessarily totally forgotten. It sounds like over the last 30 years they have just been in low demand or disbanded. I suppose the idea that they are pretty common could still exist too (making the Reddit leak still plausible).

Since the new family wasn't close with the father (assumed to be Egon), they wouldn't understand a lot about the actual tech and gear - double true if it changed over the decades. I mean, I know what a dentist is and does, but if I was left to explore an office, I wouldn't understand or know how to use all the tools. My kids would understand less.

Whether or not they were still practicing, the GB's would likely have a pretty tight reign over the gear, so I could see where it wouldn't be widely understood.

At any rate, I hope the humor of the originals is there in some way. I don't need it to be a straight comedy, and it hasn't appeared to be, but so far everything looks great!
pizzarat liked this
A couple notes: VF matches what Jason said at Fan Fest. If Egon is Callie's father, she has no idea either:

"They have left everything they know and moved to a small town in Oklahoma after inheriting property from the father she didn’t know."

I also still don't buy that "leak" (didn't we determine a few weeks ago it was just a guess that later got reposted as a leak?). On Rudd:

"Fortunately, they have a summer school teacher named Mr. Grooberson (played by Paul Rudd) who was a kid when the Manhattan Crossrip occurred. Although later generations may think of it as a myth, or not think of it at all, he remembers it obsessively and is excited to pass on what he knows.

Here we see the teacher stunned to be holding an actual ghost trap. It’s been a while since he’s seen anything like this, and never this close."

As others have said, I don't see a scenario where ghostbusting is a successful major business and the idea of a major paranormal event is considered a myth at the same time. I also think VF makes it sound like Rudd explains the basic purpose of the equipment, not just explains something akin to the evolution of a rotary phone into an iPhone.

My alternate take is that Egon is not Callie's father, and Oliver Cooper maybe plays an estranged brother to Egon who is actually the dead dad, with flashbacks. Egon tried to reconcile, stumbled on the town. Hard to believe Egon would be a deadbeat dad. Unless we go back to the sperm donor theory.
groschopf liked this
By pizzarat
droidguy1119 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:30 pm A couple notes: VF matches what Jason said at Fan Fest. If Egon is Callie's father, she has no idea either:

"They have left everything they know and moved to a small town in Oklahoma after inheriting property from the father she didn’t know."

I also still don't buy that "leak" (didn't we determine a few weeks ago it was just a guess that later got reposted as a leak?). On Rudd:

"Fortunately, they have a summer school teacher named Mr. Grooberson (played by Paul Rudd) who was a kid when the Manhattan Crossrip occurred. Although later generations may think of it as a myth, or not think of it at all, he remembers it obsessively and is excited to pass on what he knows.

Here we see the teacher stunned to be holding an actual ghost trap. It’s been a while since he’s seen anything like this, and never this close."

As others have said, I don't see a scenario where ghostbusting is a successful major business and the idea of a major paranormal event is considered a myth at the same time. I also think VF makes it sound like Rudd explains the basic purpose of the equipment, not just explains something akin to the evolution of a rotary phone into an iPhone.

My alternate take is that Egon is not Callie's father, and Oliver Cooper maybe plays an estranged brother to Egon who is actually the dead dad, with flashbacks. Egon tried to reconcile, stumbled on the town. Hard to believe Egon would be a deadbeat dad. Unless we go back to the sperm donor theory.
The leak however predicted correctly that Rudd would be handling the equipment during "show and tell" at the school. :D

Is it possible the business, or perhaps a spin-off business (possibly headed by Winston) still exists and the major events of 1984/1989/1991 are considered myths?
By JonXCTrack
pizzarat wrote:
droidguy1119 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:30 pm A couple notes: VF matches what Jason said at Fan Fest. If Egon is Callie's father, she has no idea either:

The leak however predicted correctly that Rudd would be handling the equipment during "show and tell" at the school. :D

Is it possible the business, or perhaps a spin-off business (possibly headed by Winston) still exists and the major events of 1984/1989/1991 are considered myths?
I mean, we still have a military even though some people think the Holocaust was a hoax. So I suppose that could be the case. Or maybe Ghostbusters was a nationwide company, headed by Zeddemore, but when the Ghostbusters went to address the ECU issue, the accident occurred (albeit solving the ECU problem). Then the stocks tanked, Ray took the blame because he had the least to lose, and Winston became the CEO of a different company.
pizzarat liked this
By JonXCTrack
I think it would be funny for Paul Rudd to queue up footage of the Manhattan Crossrip of 84 on Youtube and you see this old footage of Stay Puft. And all the comments below are like "That is such a bad photoshop! If that building really did blow up, everyone would be dead!"
Coover5, Corey91 liked this
By pizzarat
droidguy1119 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 2:02 pm I don't think the Rudd picture represents "show and tell" being correct. Show and tell is children bringing in stuff to show to class. It seems clear from the lighting that Rudd has been brought the trap in off-hours (the lights are off!)
Yeah, but the leak explaining the essence of that scene is a complete coincidence, right?
JonXCTrack liked this
By JonXCTrack
pizzarat wrote:
droidguy1119 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 2:02 pm I don't think the Rudd picture represents "show and tell" being correct. Show and tell is children bringing in stuff to show to class. It seems clear from the lighting that Rudd has been brought the trap in off-hours (the lights are off!)
Yeah, but the leak explaining the essence of that scene is a complete coincidence, right?
I can assure you that teachers pull the blinds and shut the lights off when they're projecting something on the walls. This is not necessarily in off hours, and I'm pretty sure no summer school classes for 12 year olds are being taught after sun down.
By deadderek
This is going to be the longest weekend of my entire life.
pizzarat, *NormalGamer*, Corey91 and 2 others liked this
pizzarat wrote: December 6th, 2019, 2:05 pm
I don't really think that's the essence of the scene at all, because I think "show and tell" means something specific.

Will happily make a bet that the classroom is empty except for Rudd, Grace, and maybe Logan Kim (since it looks Iike they're pals).
groschopf, Dr.D liked this
By Corey91
droidguy1119 wrote: December 6th, 2019, 1:30 pm My alternate take is that Egon is not Callie's father, and Oliver Cooper maybe plays an estranged brother to Egon who is actually the dead dad, with flashbacks. Egon tried to reconcile, stumbled on the town. Hard to believe Egon would be a deadbeat dad. Unless we go back to the sperm donor theory.

Oh this is interesting...that would be a cool twist. Hard to believe he would have never been mentioned, but at the same time I don't recall them ever talking about their family besides the line about Ray mortgaging his family's farm?
By deadderek
To be fair there wasn't a huge need to go on to their personal lives was there? We never saw where Egon lived, or Winston's place, or any family members...etc.

There's a TON that can be explored.
By timeware
The family members were mainly explored in real Ghostbusters. So i'm more inclined to believe the plot will take huge chunks out of the Ray centered episodes. Doesn't mean there's a relationship there, just means homeward Ray, and the dairy farm could serve as some kind of outline to go off of.
By groschopf
Nah.

I wonder if they'll even announce the name of the actor playing the bad guy at this point. I suspect the sheriff will be a Peck-level antagonist.

I still wonder if JK Simmons will appear in this. He's worked with Reitman before, he's a helluva an actor, and he's been really quite since Counterpart ended.
deadderek liked this
By pizzarat
groschopf wrote: December 6th, 2019, 4:07 pm Nah.

I wonder if they'll even announce the name of the actor playing the bad guy at this point. I suspect the sheriff will be a Peck-level antagonist.

I still wonder if JK Simmons will appear in this. He's worked with Reitman before, he's a helluva an actor, and he's been really quite since Counterpart ended.
I wonder how many of the characters in the town are in or aware of the Shandor cult.

A little sneak preview of one of the bedrock parts[…]

Where do the other ends of the red/yellow wire[…]

There's some fun dialogue TV-edits, a replacement […]

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/37016683[…]