Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By timeware
I think it's going to be funny as shit if the family's last name is Tully. Everyone thinks Spengler is the solid choice. It would be one hell of a thing if Rick has been cast and unveiled at only the premiere. They could give us the trailer and still leave us in the dark on some things.
As much as I love Rick Moranis I wouldn't want him shoehorned into the movie just cause.
It'd have to be natural. Theres no need for Louis to appear. To be honest I think Dana is pushing it unless its a brief scene with here as Venkmans wife.

I think we need to prepare ourselves that Louis Tully might not be in it.
Alphagaia, mrmichaelt, Corey91 and 1 others liked this
By Alphagaia
groschopf wrote: December 7th, 2019, 5:00 pm About Winston's Zorro-looking business card... think it's possible that the film hews toward the IDW series continuity, in which Winston gets his law degree?

Perhaps Winston has his own law firm. I can imagine a big city lawyer being useful to spring some kids from jail in a cult town after tearing through the streets on a high-speed pursuit. And he's got experience being wrongfully jailed (twice) on the eve of an epic battle.

I would laugh my ass of if this turns out to be a refrigerator brand.

Zuul, keeps it cool.
Last edited by Alphagaia on December 8th, 2019, 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corey91, Kingpin liked this
By timeware
Either route they choose to go we should also be ready for not everything being revealed with the new trailer. It might be just enough to wet our apetites and keep us guessing.we may not even get shots of the new uniforms.
By SpaceBallz
Honestly I dont think we're getting new uniforms. I firmly believe the ghostbusting business has been out of service for quite some time.
Kingpin liked this
By mrmichaelt
groschopf wrote: December 7th, 2019, 5:00 pm About Winston's Zorro-looking business card... think it's possible that the film hews toward the IDW series continuity, in which Winston gets his law degree?

Perhaps Winston has his own law firm. I can imagine a big city lawyer being useful to spring some kids from jail in a cult town after tearing through the streets on a high-speed pursuit. And he's got experience being wrongfully jailed (twice) on the eve of an epic battle.

Or we're being messed with and it's a "N" or two Ziggurats - one in New York and one in Oklahoma.

But I'd love that it's a Zeddemore law firm. :D

Come to think of it, I wonder if Ray will still be operating his bookstore.
SpaceBallz wrote: December 8th, 2019, 1:41 am Honestly I dont think we're getting new uniforms. I firmly believe the ghostbusting business has been out of service for quite some time.
Yeah. They say Trevor is a gear head. Thinking back to filming. What we thought was a flightsuit was probably just mechanic coveralls for instance.
By robbritton
If my calculations are correct, I’ll be on my way to give blood when the trailer hits. And me with no mobile internet too.

Pray for me.
By Alphagaia
robbritton wrote: December 8th, 2019, 3:15 am If my calculations are correct, I’ll be on my way to give blood when the trailer hits. And me with no mobile internet too.

Pray for me.
If you give blood in a hospital, they have free wireless. At least that's how it works here in the Netherlands.

On the other hand, getting your heart to race while giving blood might result into giving too much of the stuff.
robbritton liked this
Alphagaia wrote: December 8th, 2019, 2:01 am I'm hoping we get a look of one of the ghosts, to get a feel of the tone, but it's probably to early to have the SFX done to a believable level.
My hope is that they did (at least some) old school practical ghost effects. The work they did on the teaser trailer was certainly very old school...
By Alphagaia
ghoulishfright wrote: December 8th, 2019, 5:31 am
Alphagaia wrote: December 8th, 2019, 2:01 am I'm hoping we get a look of one of the ghosts, to get a feel of the tone, but it's probably to early to have the SFX done to a believable level.
My hope is that they did (at least some) old school practical ghost effects. The work they did on the teaser trailer was certainly very old school...
The problem with old school effects is they are very expensive when they don't work, want a different angle or when you get a last minute idea that changes the scene. Last movie had to digitally insert Slimer and Sparky because the practical effects didn't work out, for instance, which meant double the costs.

I know Jason prefers to do it old school, but I hope he didn't have the same problems as he isn't as experienced with special effects.

That being said, I trust his crew and he said his vision will be more in line with the original look (though I hope he means the original and not GB2, which felt more cartoony).
deadderek, Kingpin liked this
By deadderek
Today is the last day before we see footage from the new Ghostbusters movie.

30 years since we had Ghostbusters 2 and now the story will continue. Sure it'll be a passing of the torch BUT after today we're finally going to know what came/comes next.

This is blowing my damn mind.

After all of the development hell, Dan's promises, and a flopped reboot...it's about to happen. Today will be the LAST time I watch the Ghostbusters movies NOT having any idea of what comes next. (Outside of the very vague things that have come out so far)

Guys this is it. It's the FINAL COUNTDOWN! *cue music*
Alphagaia wrote: December 8th, 2019, 5:46 am The problem with old school effects is they are very expensive when they don't work, want a different angle or when you get a last minute idea that changes the scene. Last movie had to digitally insert Slimer and Sparky because the practical effects didn't work out, for instance, which meant double the costs.

I know Jason prefers to do it old school, but I hope he didn't have the same problems as he isn't as experienced with special effects.
I mean, there are definitely downsides to doing things practically, but depending on the scale and nature of the effect, it doesn't have to be that expensive. I've seen GB fan films with cool practical effects, made on a shoestring budget. And CGI isn't exactly dirt cheap considering the countless hours of labour involved. It would've been way more expensive to do some of the effects in the original Ghostbusters with CGI; the painted green peanut that they used for Slimer flying around the Sedgewick Hotel Ballroom chandelier probably cost a whopping nickel!

Jason doesn't need to have any experience with special effects, he just needs to hire professionals who do.
deadderek wrote: December 8th, 2019, 6:43 am Today is the last day before we see footage from the new Ghostbusters movie.

30 years since we had Ghostbusters 2 and now the story will continue. Sure it'll be a passing of the torch BUT after today we're finally going to know what came/comes next.

This is blowing my damn mind.

After all of the development hell, Dan's promises, and a flopped reboot...it's about to happen. Today will be the LAST time I watch the Ghostbusters movies NOT having any idea of what comes next. (Outside of the very vague things that have come out so far)

Guys this is it. It's the FINAL COUNTDOWN! *cue music*
Summed up my feelings perfectly!
deadderek liked this
By Alphagaia
ghoulishfright wrote: December 8th, 2019, 7:05 am
Alphagaia wrote: December 8th, 2019, 5:46 am The problem with old school effects is they are very expensive when they don't work, want a different angle or when you get a last minute idea that changes the scene. Last movie had to digitally insert Slimer and Sparky because the practical effects didn't work out, for instance, which meant double the costs.

I mean, there are definitely downsides to doing things practically, but depending on the scale and nature of the effect, it doesn't have to be that expensive. I've seen GB fan films with cool practical effects, made on a shoestring budget. And CGI isn't exactly dirt cheap considering the countless hours of labour involved. It would've been way more expensive to do some of the effects in the original Ghostbusters with CGI; the painted green peanut that they used for Slimer flying around the Sedgewick Hotel Ballroom chandelier probably cost a whopping nickel!

Jason doesn't need to have any experience with special effects, he just needs to hire professionals who do.
I feel I basically said the same by claiming I trust his crew.

It's only part of the battle though, because a director that is experienced with effects has a better, quicker and more versital eye if he is experienced with them.

And let's be frank here; a green peanut and some spit on a camera lens wouldn't fly nowadays with the way better screen quality we have(and to be honest Ivan admitted he disliked the effect as well, but they had no time for anything else). They were literally putting in effects in the movie that were shot once for approval and general feel and meant to be perfected. (Which is why every effect doesn't last for more then a few seconds and why the dogs look so bad in stop motion: there just was no time to perfect them).
groschopf liked this
It's true, some of the effects in the first film were bad, even by 1984 standards, but even the crappy stuff is better and more lifelike than CGI creatures. I just hope they don't go too crazy with the digital effects in Afterlife. A puppet here or some stop motion there would make me so happy.
By Alphagaia
ghoulishfright wrote: December 8th, 2019, 8:21 am It's true, some of the effects in the first film were bad, even by 1984 standards, but even the crappy stuff is better and more lifelike than CGI creatures. I just hope they don't go too crazy with the digital effects in Afterlife. A puppet here or some stop motion there would make me so happy.
Yeah, I basically said that in the post you addressed as well. Love to see some puppetry in this. I still absolutely love the way they did Audrey 2 in Little Shop of Horrors.

That being said, I'm not sure stop motion would be useful. Remember they want to make this movie as cheap as possible, and stop motion ain't cheap and still looks fake (though it can look absolutely gorgeous (looking at you, Coraline).

My best guess is he has used make up, puppetry behind green screen, with sticks, wires and stuff removed in post.
groschopf, Kingpin liked this
By groschopf
The special effects will have to land somewhere in the middle -- practical, so there's the sense of realism that CGI fails to capture, and CGI to smooth out some of the kinks in the practical effects.

You can always tell when actors are left imagining what they're interacting with on a green screen instead of being on a set interacting with something physical. The difference really comes through in the performance.
Coover5, RedSpecial, tylergfoster and 1 others liked this
By Alphagaia
While I'm all for puppetry and stuff, people are to quick to dismiss CGI simply because it's used so much nowadays.

And yes cheap CGI is noticeable, though it gets the job done most of time. Expensive CGI is a lot harder to see, even when used on fantasy creatures you know have to be fake.

I'm pretty sure a lot of good CGI has passed many of us whitout even noticing it.

Love this little video about it:

https://youtu.be/TwbXYySYwbc
groschopf, Kingpin liked this
Yeah, middle ground is fine by me. CGI is good for touching things up, but creating characters digitally from scratch never works well, and the performances suffer, for sure.
By RedSpecial
Best case scenario, they'll pull a Jurassic Park and have the perfect balance of both.

Token practical effects stick out like a sore thumb amongst a Cgi heavy film and just leave me wanting more of them.

A practical base with some CG only where it's necessary would be ideal.
Especially in a movie franchise like this which started with practical effects driven movies.
Wafflerobot liked this

Correct, it grants several in fact the Melody's […]

Are they just newspaper clippings or something? […]

If you check the post below from reddit, one of […]

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]