Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
By groschopf
I've seen a few comments online expressing frustration that the world doesn't seem to remember the Ghostbusters. While that would be a frustrating story element, it's an interpretation we base off how Ghostbusters II began. The guys had been out of business, considered frauds and nearly forgotten after five years in the town they saved. I think we're framing this narrative through that lens, but there are other reasons these kids might not know about the Ghostbusters.

It's probable that the residents of Summerville -- which sounds Sumerian, and clearly used to be a Shandor Mining town -- probably don't want to talk about the exterminators that blew up Ivo Shandor's building and thwarted the thing they worship. That would explain why the kids in that town don't know about the Ghostbusters. Consider how Paul Rudd sounds surprised that they don't know what a ghost trap is.

As for Grace McKenna not knowing... we know she's related to Egon as a grandfather, but we don't know who were father is. Maybe her father is someone that was traumatized by one of the climactic events of the first two films. I mean... as a thought experiment, if Egon was a surrogate father to Oscar, that would make perfect sense. His mother was the puppet of demigods twice in five years, and he himself was nearly the vessel for one. That yet unnamed father could move to Chicago and away from the center of supernatural activity in New York and likely wouldn't want to talk to his young children about it.

For instance, I had a grandfather that fought in the Korean Conflict. He never talked about it, and when I learned about the conflict forty years after the fact, it was basically a paragraph and a dot on a timeline. The conflict itself was a way to discuss MacArthur getting fired without elaborating on the hell troops experienced there. I knew the conflict happened, but it would take me actually reading about it (at the tender age of 35) to fully understand it. I sure as hell wouldn't have known what an artifact from that conflict looked like if I stumbled on it, and I would have needed someone older to explain its significance to me.

Add that all up, and it's possible that kids only know about the Crossrip as an event name and date for a quiz, or that Summerville lives in a state of denial about that event.
groschopf wrote: December 10th, 2019, 6:33 am I've seen a few comments online expressing frustration that the world doesn't seem to remember the Ghostbusters. While that would be a frustrating story element, it's an interpretation we base off how Ghostbusters II began. The guys had been out of business, considered frauds and nearly forgotten after five years in the town they saved. I think we're framing this narrative through that lens, but there are other reasons these kids might not know about the Ghostbusters.

It's probable that the residents of Summerville -- which sounds Sumerian, and clearly used to be a Shandor Mining town -- probably don't want to talk about the exterminators that blew up Ivo Shandor's building and thwarted the thing they worship. That would explain why the kids in that town don't know about the Ghostbusters. Consider how Paul Rudd sounds surprised that they don't know what a ghost trap is.

As for Grace McKenna not knowing... we know she's related to Egon as a grandfather, but we don't know who were father is. Maybe her father is someone that was traumatized by one of the climactic events of the first two films. I mean... as a thought experiment, if Egon was a surrogate father to Oscar, that would make perfect sense. His mother was the puppet of demigods twice in five years, and he himself was nearly the vessel for one. That yet unnamed father could move to Chicago and away from the center of supernatural activity in New York and likely wouldn't want to talk to his young children about it.

For instance, I had a grandfather that fought in the Korean Conflict. He never talked about it, and when I learned about the conflict forty years after the fact, it was basically a paragraph and a dot on a timeline. The conflict itself was a way to discuss MacArthur getting fired without elaborating on the hell troops experienced there. I knew the conflict happened, but it would take me actually reading about it (at the tender age of 35) to fully understand it. I sure as hell wouldn't have known what an artifact from that conflict looked like if I stumbled on it, and I would have needed someone older to explain its significance to me.

Add that all up, and it's possible that kids only know about the Crossrip as an event name and date for a quiz, or that Summerville lives in a state of denial about that event.
I was 19 when 9/11 happened. Obviously it was a traumatizing event for an entire generation that WE all remember like it was yesterday. Fast forward to a few months ago. I now have an 8yr old son and 6yr old daughter and I pick them up at school on Sept 11, 2019 and my little boy says "Dad did you know about those planes flying in those buildings? That was terrible!" I didn't realize they would learn about that at school and had never talked to them about it. I guess they teach about it at school now but my kids go to private school so I'm not sure if they teach it in the public schools or not but they definitely heard about it for the first time at their school. So it is at least "conceivable" that kids wouldn't know about the events of the film because a generation has passed since. It's just that all of us are such diehards of the franchise that it's hard for US to believe people could live in a world and not know about Ghostbusters. I mean my kids knew about Ghostbusters WAY before they knew about 9/11.
groschopf, back, Sav C liked this
By SSJmole
This content received too many dislikes. Click SHOW to view
RichardLess wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:45 am Anyways, all that crap that happened a few years ago is in the past. Move on and move forward. Or try to. We are finally getting a true sequel after years and years and years of false hope and legit tragedy. Think of all the wonderful GBfans out there who have passed away that never lived to see this moment. But the moment is here. Ask yourself this, had all that stuff happened back in 2016 not happened, would you feel different about this trailer? It seems so.
No I wouldn't. I was excited seeing "movies that made us" announced , remastered game and more. I wanted to like trailer but none of it felt like ghostbusters to me. As I said it feels more like the power rangers movie or stranger things just with ghostbusters tagged on to it.

It looks heartless and I was hyped to to see trailer. Then after I saw it I just feel disheartened. I personally thought the trailer was atrocious. That's based on the trailer.

The stuff from the past is only linked to people still shitting on or mentioning ATC , As if you enjoy new trailer you should just enjoy it you shouldn't just use it as a weapon to continue the hate towards ATC but lots are.
Last edited by SSJmole on December 10th, 2019, 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I think Egon is the kids’ father and this is why the trailer uses some ambiguity (i.e. “Your dad never mentioned this?”) The property was left to him by his father and he was using it as a storage facility after the Ghostbusters closed their doors. While Harold Ramis did pass relatively recently, it is unknown when Egon passed. If there has not been a ghost sighting in 30 years he probably had no reason to talk about proton packs, the car, etc. It also appears as though the family has gone to some effort to conceal Egon’s past as a Ghostbuster.
janeb984 liked this
By groschopf
Alphagaia wrote: December 10th, 2019, 6:44 am What if the family are still the Shandors and the evil cult ransacked the firehouse and hid all the stuff here?
Maybe, But I feel like they would simply destroy it or shove down a mineshaft unceremoniously. The secret lab, with the auto-activated lighting and loving hung flightsuits suggest some care and intention was put into the space. Care and intention that I wouldn't expect from cultists with a beef.
Alphagaia, robbritton liked this
By groschopf
That does make me wonder. If the kids get arrested for chasing that ghost thrown town and blowing a bunch of it up along the way... what will happen to the Ecto-1? Will it just get impounded, or will the cultists seize the moment and push her off a cliff?

Ancillary thought: maybe that secret lab isn't under that shed on the property. Perhaps the gasworks we've seen is separate from the mine, and a more suitable location for a lab. Egon was kind of snobby about what sort of facility would meet his electrical needs. A bunker under a barn is an odd choice for him.
robbritton liked this
Just over 24 hours and 7.6 million views of the trailer on Sony official YouTube. Is that good? It seems like a lot to me, but I haven’t compared it to anything so I don’t know the baseline.

Also, I’ll readily admit that 7 million of those views are just 25 of us here streaming it on repeat.
robbritton, back, Sav C liked this
Mad respect to Paul Feig for tweeting his support of Jason and how excited he is based off the trailer. That's awesome of him. There's a lot of fans who could really learn a thing or two from him. You can dislike his movies, but he's a truly good guy and he behaves way better than a lot of people in this fandom.
Alphagaia, robbritton, groschopf and 5 others liked this
By SSJmole
Michael Scott wrote: December 10th, 2019, 7:31 am Just over 24 hours and 7.6 million views of the trailer on Sony official YouTube. Is that good? It seems like a lot to me, but I haven’t compared it to anything so I don’t know the baseline.

Also, I’ll readily admit that 7 million of those views are just 25 of us here streaming it on repeat.
As a baseline first 24 houses :
avengers endgame , = 289 million
The Fate of the Furious = 139 million
Fifty Shades Darker = 114 million
Star Wars: The Force Awakens = 112 million

So 7.6 = 106.4 million lower than Fifty Shades Darker. For a brand like ghostbusters I'd say it's surprising that Fifty Shades Darker did better.

Hi there including Star wars the force awakens just to show as that made more money than the fate of the furious or fifty shades darker so it might not be an indication a prophet and marketability.

Also wonder woman 1984 that came out only hours before is at 12 million.(now that one looks good)
By Gozerhead
A few random thoughts upon reflecting on yesterday...

1. Nothing is every good enough. The trailer was exactly what people had been asking for, but people still need to complain about stuff that hasn't even been proven to be true.

2. Easy enough to say that Egon could've had all the stuff there to gear up for a potential future threat, hence explaining any changes in gear.

3. Most of us were kids when the originals came out and dreamt to be in the situation we saw in the trailer. That should resonate and not be a knit pick. It is someone living out our childhood on screen in 2019.

4. I don't get the Stranger Things comments. Stranger Things was inspired by GB, not the other way around. I didn't think the trailer was anything like that.

5. 30 years is 30 years, which is ambiguous enough to support GBII existing, which it will, as well as allowing just enough time to add other elements. I am sure the guys continued working for at least a few months assuming there'd be more paranormal activity after Vigo.

6. It is totally believable that either a.) just the Spengler family was sheltered from the events of GB over 30 years or b.) the masses have also forgotten a lot about those events.

7. There is a ton of fan service in the trailer. That may or may not be in the whole movie. Who knows after a whopping 2.5 minutes!? It does seem obvious there will be a direct connect to Gozer and its minions to at least some extent. This shouldn't freak people out. Star Wars did this over 11 movies with Palpatine and its turned out ok. There are many other bad guys that are popular in addition. GB has plenty of room for more baddies even if Gozer is a big deal. I'd expect Shandor to be a huge deal. How about we celebrate there being some continuity and an actual story?

I really feel like this is shaping up to attempt to be the best of both worlds. For those of us who grew up with the movies, it seems like it will appeal to our adulthood while still being nostalgic. It also seems accessible for a new generation of kids. If I want the original movies, I can go back and watch those, play the video game, and read the comics.

Seriously, I can't objectionally complain about the trailer. There is no way that it should be sharing everything about the movie. It makes no sense to show scenes of the OGs or the big bad at this stage. Us hardcores already know all we need to know, anyways. Almost all of our concerns were explicitly addressed, including call backs to the original score!
RichRyan1507, groschopf, McCrea and 5 others liked this
By GBfan_CH
SSJmole wrote: December 10th, 2019, 7:43 am As a baseline first 24 houses :
avengers endgame , = 289 million
The Fate of the Furious = 139 million
Fifty Shades Darker = 114 million
Star Wars: The Force Awakens = 112 million

So 7.6 = 106.4 million lower than Fifty Shades Darker. For a brand like ghostbusters I'd say it's surprising that Fifty Shades Darker did better.

On the plus side, Little Women has only had 6.9m views in three months.
By back
SSJmole wrote: December 10th, 2019, 6:46 am
RichardLess wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:45 am Anyways, all that crap that happened a few years ago is in the past. Move on and move forward. Or try to. We are finally getting a true sequel after years and years and years of false hope and legit tragedy. Think of all the wonderful GBfans out there who have passed away that never lived to see this moment. But the moment is here. Ask yourself this, had all that stuff happened back in 2016 not happened, would you feel different about this trailer? It seems so.
No I wouldn't. I was excited seeing "movies that made us" announced , remastered game and more. I wanted to like trailer but none of it felt like ghostbusters to me. As I said it feels more like power rangers .oboe or stranger things just with ghostbusters tagged on to it.

It looks heartless and I was hyped to to see trailer. Then after I saw it I just feel disheartened. I personally thought the trailer was atrocious. That's based on the trailer.

The stuff from the past is only linked to people still shitting on or mentioning ATC , As if you enjoy new trailer you should just enjoy it you shouldn't just use it as a weapon to continue the hate towards ATC but lots are.
Sorry you feel that way Friend. :(
Imagevia Imgflip Meme Generator
Sorry, I couldnt resist ;) But I see your point. Lets all now go to our Happy Places! :D
By timeware
I'd love to see the Ecto restored before seeing the cultists scrap it. But if Rudd isn't with the kids at that point maybe he tries contacting the og's and we get a montage of a new vehicle being built on school grounds? I hardly see them putting all this focus on the Ecto just to smash it. Although they did that with the a team van so who knows.
groschopf, back liked this
By Adub794
timeware wrote: December 10th, 2019, 8:49 am I'd love to see the Ecto restored before seeing the cultists scrap it. But if Rudd isn't with the kids at that point maybe he tries contacting the og's and we get a montage of a new vehicle being built on school grounds? I hardly see them putting all this focus on the Ecto just to smash it. Although they did that with the a team van so who knows.
Where did you see them smashing it?
Sav C liked this
By back
timeware wrote: December 10th, 2019, 8:49 am I'd love to see the Ecto restored before seeing the cultists scrap it. But if Rudd isn't with the kids at that point maybe he tries contacting the og's and we get a montage of a new vehicle being built on school grounds? I hardly see them putting all this focus on the Ecto just to smash it. Although they did that with the a team van so who knows.
Even with a shortage of 68-70 chargers to Jump & Destroy, Hollywood doesnt care about the props the way they SHOULD. The Back to the Future Delorean, General Lees, KITT's, etc.... cars are just props. Yet the 59 caddy M&M model is insanely rare. Be pretty stupid just to leave it there to be damaged, given the value.
By groschopf
Adub794 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 8:56 am Where did you see them smashing it?
That was just me speculating about what the sheriffs department in a cult town would do to the Ecto-1 after they arrest the kids for joyriding/busting.

I too want want to see it restored. Hell, I'm dying to see it driving around with the lightbars turned on.
Sav C liked this
By McCrea
Adub794 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 9:44 am Has anyone noticed that the “wings” of PKE meter that Phoebe is using in the trailer are fully extended leading into and inside the presumed “Egons laboratory”? That would signify the presence of psycho kinetic energy within the lab
Egon's ghost or mood slime?
Sav C liked this
By XenuPrime
I'm wondering if the "earthquakes" are really Gozer trapped in the mines trying to get out. Like a natural containment unit using the metal mentioned in GB1. Possibly trapped by the guys, then Egon stayed behind to keep watch and study the town.
Wiggyof9, Sav C liked this
By TB3
So thrilled by the new trailer.

For what it's worth, I took a close look at the map shown in the trailer - it's a real map, and places Summerville exactly where the real Oklahoma town of Woodward (Woodward County) is located:

groschopf, back, robbritton and 7 others liked this
By groschopf
TB3 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 10:03 am For what it's worth, I took a close look at the map shown in the trailer - it's a real map, and places Summerville exactly where the real Oklahoma town of Woodward (Woodward County) is located...
Outstanding work!
By TB3
Thanks :) - honestly even before I was able to match up the roads to their counterparts on Google Maps, I was feeling that part of OK was the general ballpark thats to the terrain shown and the way the main highway and ridgeline seems to lie on a SE-to-NW axis on the map - really helped narrow the search area down.
By Muwarrior21
I honestly didnt even think about this until i read an article but the whole premise of the movie / timeline just doesn't work.

Egon has teenage grandchildren but he had no children as of 1989, how are they going to work out the logistics of that one? or are we to just suspend our reality meter here and go with it?

I was 5 in 1989 and for this to work out it would mean that egons daughter was "16 and pregnant" , what ya guys think!?
By Adub794
Muwarrior21 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 11:19 am I honestly didnt even think about this until i read an article but the whole premise of the movie / timeline just doesn't work.

Egon has teenage grandchildren but he had no children as of 1989, how are they going to work out the logistics of that one? or are we to just suspend our reality meter here and go with it?

I was 5 in 1989 and for this to work out it would mean that egons daughter was "16 and pregnant" , what ya guys think!?
Egon could have had relations with someone and possibly not have known he had a child.
By SSJmole
Alphagaia wrote: December 10th, 2019, 9:25 am Also, to be fair, Ghostbusters almost spend nothing on marketing to get these views.
Was it almost nothing? I saw trailer as it was everywhere. Even ign had it up ect... Money has to have changed hands. Plus they filmed a brand new teaser we all saw , plus all the Ghostbusters stuff that came out like remastered game , new clothes in stores ect.... Constant interviews. The movies that made us , the Hasbro campaign ect...

I do think this is more traditional way of marketing (except the new teaser for online that was actually a modern style) as that how films always used to do. Get your brand noticed if that's t-shirts if that toys if that's games whatever just get it with noticed and get people talking about the brand before you release the trailer.

Make no mistake that's not an insult I actually prefer that method to the aggressive posters and banners on web pages and sponsoring YouTube too much as that normally has the opposite effect on me. Example I didn't play Red dead redemption 2 at launch as by the time it came out I was sick of seeing it , where as this method makes you remember what you liked about a franchise and then oh something new has come out when you are thinking about it. It feels more natural.

I would make the case they probably cost the same amount of money both styles it's just one is non-stop advertising. The other feels more like gorilla advertising that's less BUY OUR THING" and more "hey , you like this thing right? Well have you seen this thing?" And I will admit I actually do appreciate that.
By SSJmole
Adub794 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 11:24 am
Muwarrior21 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 11:19 am I honestly didnt even think about this until i read an article but the whole premise of the movie / timeline just doesn't work.

Egon could have had relations with someone and possibly not have known he had a child.

This. Come on he was friends with Peter venkman. In college. There's a strong chance Peter would introduce them to girls at the bar and encourage a one night stand. Egon been scientifically curious will try it wants to see see the fuss was about. I mean if Sheldon cooper can get laid while in university Egon can as he's a much much better character lol

Now it's highly possible that the same woman could get pregnant and he didn't know about it and nearly catch up years later like after gb2 but before this.

I feel ashamed that I am discussing the plausibility of a character having sex when we didn't know it but 😂 I love the internet at times.
By Wiggyof9
XenuPrime wrote: December 10th, 2019, 9:47 am I'm wondering if the "earthquakes" are really Gozer trapped in the mines trying to get out. Like a natural containment unit using the metal mentioned in GB1. Possibly trapped by the guys, then Egon stayed behind to keep watch and study the town.
I like the idea of a natural containment unit. There was always an issue with Ghostbusters as far as sustainability goes. If one day they went out of business, what the heck do they do with the ghosts? After the first movie they were all released and presumably crossed back over when Goer was defeated. In GB2 there was no containment breach so all of those ghosts were still in the new containment unit (that we never saw). So... assuming the game is not canon and there was no second breach, it begs the question of what would they do with the ghosts?

The idea of Egon and Ray finding a natural containment unit makes perfect sense. It explains why he moved out there, why all of the equipment was moved out there, why he would have made some minor upgrades like the Polaroid option for the googles. It also explains why the terror dogs are there, having found the natural containment unit and trying to release all of the spirits to potentially recharge Gozer.
Sav C liked this
By Gozerhead

The original movies have very little character development (or really growth for that matter). There is very little time spent on the guys outside of work save Peter in GBII. We know next to nothing about their families, relationships, homes, etc. For all we know, in 1984, Egon was divorced and had kids. I am not saying that's true, just that we don't know.

Assuming Egon had the same birthday as Harold Ramis, he'd have been around 40 at the time of GB84. There would've been ample opportunity to have started a family on purpose or accidently. In fact, it wouldn't be too difficult to find out he was divorced with a teenager.

Hell, in real life, Harold's daughter, Violet, is 42 and has six kids. Carrie Coon, assuming that that character is Egon's daughter and not daughter-in-law, is 37 in real life. Finn is 16 in real life. If those are the character's ages in the film, it all works out pretty clean.
Sav C liked this

got a link? It appears that some time today[…]

I love that. I actually think a better version of […]

Afterlife Ecto Goggles Build

Thank you for posting this information. This is a[…]

I'd really like to see the new t-shirt unlocks t[…]