Discuss Ghostbusters: Afterlife, released on November 19, 2021 and directed by Jason Reitman.
I think the sperm donor thing would bring a chuckle, but how often does a sperm donor pass down property and real estate in a will to the child that was conceived? Or even find out who that child is? If he had no other family to pass it to, he could have passed it to one of his colleagues. Also, it doesn’t match the family/legacy tone of the movie.
Sav C, RichRyan1507, pizzarat and 2 others liked this
By RichRyan1507
Michael Scott wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:34 pm I think the sperm donor thing would bring a chuckle, but how often does a sperm donor pass down property and real estate in a will to the child that was conceived? Or even find out who that child is? If he had no other family to pass it to, he could have passed it to one of his colleagues. Also, it doesn’t match the family/legacy tone of the movie.
Exactly. No way he's a sperm donor.
Sav C, pizzarat liked this
By groschopf
Michael Scott wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:34 pm I think the sperm donor thing would bring a chuckle, but how often does a sperm donor pass down property and real estate in a will to the child that was conceived?
Well... were ARE talking about a relentless scientist that once straightened a Slinky.
By timeware
Michael Scott wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:34 pm I think the sperm donor thing would bring a chuckle, but how often does a sperm donor pass down property and real estate in a will to the child that was conceived? Or even find out who that child is?
When your family doctor is Dr.Phil.
By Bison256
Sav C wrote: December 10th, 2019, 5:33 pm Like Bison256 said, it is pretty clear that they are still remembered in some capacity. However, it wouldn't surprise me if many people rejected the events that transpired in 1984 due to them not being coherent with the world as we know it. People do a worse job at accepting basic facts than many would probably expect (source). I would not be shocked if there was significant debate over what really happened, if anything, in New York in 1984.
That reminds me of odd thing about the setting. Parapsychology is a recognized specialization at Columbia University, books like Tobin's spirit guide is published but yet ghosts and other manifestations aren't considered real? It's kind of odd.
Sav C liked this
By groschopf
Bison256 wrote: December 10th, 2019, 6:33 pm That reminds me of odd thing about the setting. Parapsychology is a recognized specialization at Columbia University, books like Tobin's spirit guide is published but yet ghosts and other manifestations aren't considered real? It's kind of odd.
That's Dan sublimating how everyone treats him like a loon when he earnestly discusses the paranormal.
By groschopf
Fitting that the clip the kids are seeing of the Ghostbusters is the one right before they get swallowed by a small earthquake.

I wonder if this film will actually explain that element of the original film.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Bison256 wrote:That reminds me of odd thing about the setting. Parapsychology is a recognized specialization at Columbia University, books like Tobin's spirit guide is published but yet ghosts and other manifestations aren't considered real? It's kind of odd.
I wonder when Tobin's Spirit Guide was published... Was Tobin one of the Ghostbusters's contemporaries? I always thought of it being published in the '30s, but if that's the case it seems interesting that a book with accurate science on ghosts could be around so long (during the modern age) without being considered true. If published in the '30s, the speed at which it gained acceptance seems more characteristic of Copernicus's time period.
groschopf liked this
Sav C wrote: December 10th, 2019, 6:52 pm
Bison256 wrote:That reminds me of odd thing about the setting. Parapsychology is a recognized specialization at Columbia University, books like Tobin's spirit guide is published but yet ghosts and other manifestations aren't considered real? It's kind of odd.
I wonder when Tobin's Spirit Guide was published... Was Tobin one of the Ghostbusters's contemporaries? I always thought of it being published in the '30s, but if that's the case it seems interesting that a book with accurate science on ghosts could be around so long (during the modern age) without being considered true. If published in the '30s, the speed at which it gained acceptance seems more characteristic of Copernicus's time period.
There had to be a revision at least around or after the 1920s. Egon found Ivo Shandor’s name in Tobin’s according to the jail scene.
By mrmichaelt
Michael Scott wrote: December 10th, 2019, 7:01 pm There had to be a revision at least around or after the 1920s. Egon found Ivo Shandor’s name in Tobin’s according to the jail scene.
Yeah, I would guess first came out in mid to late 1920s at the earliest and perhaps a revision in the late 1920s.Shandor and his Cult of Gozer was probably the last topic he researched. The two examples we have is the version from The West End RPG had the 1st edition published in October 1920 while the IDW/Insight Tobin I think it was only mentioned he finished all the text for the 1st edition in 1929.
Sav C liked this
By Kingpin
Again, playing catchup...
Demon Vice Commander wrote: December 9th, 2019, 9:02 pm Did anyone else notice the old ‘59 Caddy sedan missing a door sitting outside the barn? I’m guessing that’s the car they cannibalized (in universe) for the Ecto’s new suicide door.
The junker adjacent to the barn appears to be a 1958 Cadillac 62 hardtop, the rear passenger door of which has a pronounced curve to fit the slope of the roofline:

The door wouldn't fit on Wrecto-1, and it would be uneccesary when they have the old girl's door to-hand.

BatDan wrote: December 10th, 2019, 4:50 am when speaking of the 'leaks' which are we referring to? because wasn't there a couple? and all were different story threads?
There were at least two notable ones.

The first was the one talking about frequencies, detailed here:
Link
- People were pretty skeptical as it wasn't really lining up with what we were seeing in the set leak photos. We can now conclude this "leak" is complete terror dog shit.

The second appears to be talking about the Ghostbusters having gone national, Egon getting trapped in a portal, and Ray journeying to Summerville, detailed here:
Link
- Some bits this guess/"leak" gets right: Callie moves into the old farmhouse with her kids, that it was evidently owned by Egon, finding the Wrecto-1 (not a huge stretch), a working PKE, and that Phoebe brings the Trap to Grooberson.

What the guess/"leak" is less right about is the apparent state of the company, just how decrepid the equipment is (one detailed "scene" suggests none of the equipment is functional until Ray arrives and retools it - the trailer clearly shows the gear is operation pretty much as soon as the kids start fooling around with it), the second "leak" seems to suggest that the major paranormal activity seems to kick off from the farmhouse, whilst the trailer indicates the primary action is centralised around the mine and its access shaft.

Those are the two I was aware of, I'm not aware of any additions... But if there were, could someone chip in with what they were?
groschopf wrote: December 10th, 2019, 6:33 am That would explain why the kids in that town don't know about the Ghostbusters. Consider how Paul Rudd sounds surprised that they don't know what a ghost trap is.
I don't know... Let's consider our own history. We know about the Watergate scandal, the killings at the Munich Olympics, the Piper Alpha explosion, the Exxon Valdez oil spill.

Would kids the same age range as Phoebe and Trevor know much about any of those topics? Even half of them?

There was also probably a wide range if disbelief and discrediting done by the news organisations outside of New York, chocking it up to something like a new wave version of the War of the Worlds broadcast, a bunch of uptight New Yorkers getting into a panic over something.

If the company didn't go global or international and was landlocked in New York, chances are most of the rest of the country wouldn't have taken them seriously... If they'd even heard of them.

Grooberson on the other hand, he's clearly what accounts for a ghosthead in that universe. He's a member of the fandom following that band almost nobody else has heard of. He knows the name "Ghostbusters" and remembers them because he was lucky enough to be around in that moment and have that particular interest in him which the Ghostbusters captured.

How many of us have talked about something we're passionate about, only to draw a blank look from those around us? Hell, how many of us have talked about Ghostbusters in the past, only to draw a black look from those around us?
Nova wrote: December 10th, 2019, 2:42 pmBut what about the mine? Was Shandors mine leaked before the trailer? [/Spoiler]
It was, separate photos to emerge from the set showed a truck emblazoned with the "Shandor Mining Co." logo, a structure displaying the signage "Mining museum & memorial", and a separate minecart memorial on one of "Summerville"'s streets, complete with the "Shandor Mining Co." logo.

2GunsRacing, groschopf, mrmichaelt and 2 others liked this
By Bison256
mrmichaelt wrote: December 10th, 2019, 7:15 pm
Michael Scott wrote: December 10th, 2019, 7:01 pm There had to be a revision at least around or after the 1920s. Egon found Ivo Shandor’s name in Tobin’s according to the jail scene.
Yeah, I would guess first came out in mid to late 1920s at the earliest and perhaps a revision in the late 1920s.Shandor and his Cult of Gozer was probably the last topic he researched. The two examples we have is the version from The West End RPG had the 1st edition published in October 1920 while the IDW/Insight Tobin I think it was only mentioned he finished all the text for the 1st edition in 1929.
That jives with the real world spiritual moment.
By Sav C
Kingpin wrote:I don't know... Let's consider our own history. We know about the Watergate scandal, the killings at the Munich Olympics, the Piper Alpha explosion, the Exxon Valdez oil spill.

Would kids the same age range as Phoebe and Trevor know much about any of those topics? Even half of them?
18 year old here... Definitely know about Watergate, although it was only a few months ago that I realized that the Watergate scandal had to do with the Clinton finances or whatnot, and it was only through that investigation that the Lewinsky scandal was unearthed. Prior to that I thought that Watergate and the Starr Report were solely on the Lewinsky Scandal. Also, yes, I was aware of Watergate and the Lewinsky Scandal prior to any talk of Trump's impeachment, or even his election (the impeachment proceedings have caused a lot of references to the Clinton impeachment). (Thanks to Mad Magazine's specials for giving me a basic knowledge of US political history spanning from the fifties to nowadays.)

I had heard of the Munich Olympics, but not the massacre. Never heard of Piper Alpha. I had heard of the Exxon Valdez spill, but I had to search it to make sure it was the event I was thinking of.

I'd say that counts as one and a half of those things at best. It certainly doesn't count as "much" about any of those topics, although I'd say my knowledge on the Clinton impeachment is on par with or exceeding the knowledge of other people who reside outside the US.

Edit: Scratch that last part, since I just confused Watergate with Whitewater. (That was arrogant on my part to say that.) It was the Whitewater scandal that I only recently realized was different from the Lewinsky scandal.

Now that my memory's jogged, the Watergate scandal was when President Nixon had people break into the Democratic headquarters in the Watergate hotel to dig up dirt on his democratic opponent in order to try and win the 1972 (?) election. When he was found out, articles of impeachment were drafted. He resigned before the impeachment was transferred to the Senate (as he knew that the Senate would find him guilty).

I guess that counts as a 0. Do I get bonus points if I can spell Chapenquidick correctly (I can't)?
robbritton liked this
By groschopf
Kingpin wrote: December 10th, 2019, 7:42 pm Again, playing catchup...
groschopf wrote: December 10th, 2019, 6:33 am That would explain why the kids in that town don't know about the Ghostbusters. Consider how Paul Rudd sounds surprised that they don't know what a ghost trap is.
I don't know... Let's consider our own history. We know about the Watergate scandal, the killings at the Munich Olympics, the Piper Alpha explosion, the Exxon Valdez oil spill.
I did consider that. I just focused on one example. From the same comment you quoted (in fairness, I did get longwinded):

"For instance, I had a grandfather that fought in the Korean Conflict. He never talked about it, and when I learned about the conflict forty years after the fact, it was basically a paragraph and a dot on a timeline. The conflict itself was a way to discuss MacArthur getting fired without elaborating on the hell troops experienced there. I knew the conflict happened, but it would take me actually reading about it (at the tender age of 35) to fully understand it. I sure as hell wouldn't have known what an artifact from that conflict looked like if I stumbled on it, and I would have needed someone older to explain its significance to me.

Add that all up, and it's possible that kids only know about the Crossrip as an event name and date for a quiz, or that Summerville lives in a state of denial about that event."

What I forgot to state in there was how an event that shaped my family forty years before I learned about it at all in school still meant very little to me afterward given how briefly it was covered in our curriculum. I totally buy that these kids wouldn't really know about it even if they "knew" about it.
By Coover5
I try to forgive kids not having a great knowledge of history as I confuse dates too. I didn't know Jeffrey Dahmer was still active up until I was 2. I had thought of him as a serial killer from the 70's. Hell, probably once a year I look up the Monroe Doctrine because of Jeopardy. I can never recall what it was. I still google "US Map" to recall where states are and I'm 30. Remember "Are You Smarter Than A 5th Grader?" As much as we think we know as adults it reminds us how much we've forgotten too.
Sav C, mrmichaelt, deadderek liked this
By hutto
Sav C wrote: December 10th, 2019, 8:21 pm
Kingpin wrote:I don't know... Let's consider our own history. We know about the Watergate scandal, the killings at the Munich Olympics, the Piper Alpha explosion, the Exxon Valdez oil spill.

18 year old here... Definitely know about Watergate, although it was only a few months ago that I realized that the Watergate scandal had to do with the Clinton finances or whatnot, and it was only through that investigation that the Lewinsky scandal was unearthed. Prior to that I thought that Watergate and the Starr Report were solely on the Lewinsky Scandal. Also, yes, I was aware of Watergate and the Lewinsky Scandal prior to any talk of Trump's impeachment, or even his election (the impeachment proceedings have caused a lot of references to the Clinton impeachment). (Thanks to Mad Magazine's specials for giving me a basic knowledge of US political history spanning from the fifties to nowadays.)

I had heard of the Munich Olympics, but not the massacre. Never heard of Piper Alpha. I had heard of the Exxon Valdez spill, but I had to search it to make sure it was the event I was thinking of.

I'd say that counts as one and a half of those things at best. It certainly doesn't count as "much" about any of those topics, although I'd say my knowledge on the Clinton impeachment is on par with or exceeding the knowledge of other people who reside outside the US.

Edit: Scratch that last part, since I just confused Watergate with Whitewater. (That was arrogant on my part to say that.) It was the Whitewater scandal that I only recently realized was different from the Lewinsky scandal.

Now that my memory's jogged, the Watergate scandal was when President Nixon had people break into the Democratic headquarters in the Watergate hotel to dig up dirt on his democratic opponent in order to try and win the 1972 (?) election. When he was found out, articles of impeachment were drafted. He resigned before the impeachment was transferred to the Senate (as he knew that the Senate would find him guilty).

I guess that counts as a 0. Do I get bonus points if I can spell Chapenquidick correctly (I can't)?
Surely you'd hear about that time the Apocaylpse almost happened... Twice? A 100 foot Marshmallow Man exploded after the sky turned black and, the spirits of the dead ran amok. A gateway to another dimension was opened on the top of an apartment building.

Or, the time the art museum was covered in grape jelly, spirits ran amok, the sky turned black, the Titanic came back and four men drove Lady Liberty through the town?

I think there was cameras then. Im pretty sure that trumps sticking cigars in an intern.
Sav C liked this
By Sav C
Yeah, I do feel I would hear about that. I mean, it's been over a hundred years and people still blabber about the Titanic, not to mention the Hindenburg (even though that was later). Granted, I am the last person who should call people out for blabbering, haha.
Last edited by Sav C on December 10th, 2019, 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let’s not forget about the montage in the first movie that shows how popular they became in a short period of time. And the media coverage wasn’t solely exclusive to New York. USA Today and national magazines did cover stories about them. Larry King and Casey Kasem talked about them on the radio, surely to nationally syndicated audiences, no? Ray was a guest on a TV talk show. The point is for a short period of time they were the talk of the town and beyond. But even then skeptics were trying to say they were the cause of it all.

Could all of this be forgotten, or misremembered, or not thought of as something worth sharing with the next generation? Sure. Especially since paranormal activity flatlined for 3 decades, giving skeptics reason to believe that they were indeed making it up.

I’m just saying let’s not pretend they weren’t “going viral” for a short while in their heyday. And it wasn’t exclusive to New York media.
By deadderek
Not in my wildest dreams would I imagination us debating on Egon being a sperm donor.
By mrmichaelt
groschopf wrote: December 10th, 2019, 6:17 pm Great find!
The article was, in part, a nice remainder that all the Summerville scenes in the trailer were all blended together from filming in Crossfield, Drumheller, Beiseker, Foothills County, Turner Valley, Dorothy, and Fort Macleod. And that the Calgary filming early into production was seemingly a stand-in for Chicago. I'm glad they pinned the opening shot as Horsethief Canyon and drive to Summerville as near Bleriot Ferry, less work for fans to do.

I was thinking of posting a thread that breaks down the scenes with filming locations.
By robbritton
My main take away from all this Dahmer and Watergate talk is that I’m a lot older than everyone else and I’m going to take my Zimmer frame out back and sulk about it!

Also, I wonder if the lack of ghosts for thirty years will somehow be tied into egon’s move/disappearance? If the normal level of psychokinetic energy in New York is a Twinkie, that means there were scattered ghosts around the place (Slimer had certainly been around in the lifetime of older Sedgewick staff members) before Gozer’s coming stirred up the hornets nest and expanded the Twinkie. So if the default for the movie universe is that there are ghosts, but they are few and far between, then no ghosts whatsoever represents some kind of paradigm shift.

Or, maybe I’m just overthinking a trailer. It’s probably time for my nap anyway.
Coover5, Kingpin, Sav C and 1 others liked this

Hey and welcome

My Little Pony/Ghostbusters crossover done by my d[…]

Great work identifying the RS Temperature Control […]

I read Back in Town #1. Spoilers : Hate to b[…]